Dexter - Season 5

Actually no writers have been replaced. The only person who left was Clyde Phillips, and 24 co-executive producer Chip Johannessen replaced him.

If this season is worse than the others, which it is, there's no blaming "the writers from 24", as there are no writers from 24 here. This latest episode was in fact written by the same person who wrote the thanksgiving episode "Hungry Man" last year. Not to mention the Laguerta and Batista bullshit started back in Season 4.

I'm not saying blame Chip Johannessen either, as most of the crew has remained intact. So if we are to blame someone, then it's not an individual but the entire crew as a whole.

Also, Fragalishus, don't watch promos...

Yeah watching promos is dumb, you're just spoiling it for yourself.

So far this season is still better than Season 2 imo, with the dumb hell-bitch Dexter cheats with.

I usually do skip the previews, just saw that one and the week before. The one where you see Lumen about to shoot a gun, and you know damn well Dexter's gonna show up at the last second and stop her.

I really think they're just out of ideas. We already see the parallels between Quinn and Doakes. In fact, looking back, Doakes was about to hook up with Deb, too, in Season 1. He took her to his family's house, then showed up at the hospital, and was sort of disappointed that she was about to hook up with Rudy (Brian/ITK).

And they're dangerously close to having Lumen be the new Miguel. He's taking her in as a protege, teaching her to kill. And she's already nearly killed an innocent once, damn near twice until we find out he actually was the right guy. Hell, they're dialogue together is strikingly familiar, as well (even aside from the outbursts of "**** you!").

While most of the dialogue is fine, it's the writing that's bad, if that makes sense. Like when Lumen first says "there were others", I just assumed she meant that's what happened to her back home, which is why she didn't want to go home. There was no indication that the "others" were friends of Boyd until the next episode when Dexter's looking for his accomplices. I was thinking "how tragic, she gets abused at home only to run away and get abused even worse", then find out that's not the case.

And while they've always played a little fast and loose with the technical aspects of the show, they really are just getting sloppy. I mean, Dexter's walking around spraying Luminol, but I'm pretty sure that requires a blacklight to show up as blue. Yet his flashlight appears to be a standard LED light, and even then, he never actually shines it on the Luminol anywhere, it's just magically showing up blue. And if it doesn't require a blacklight, then why isn't Masuka noticing all this Luminol-stained blood everywhere?

And don't get me started on Dexter dragging a guy about 50 yards or so in the time it takes Deb and Masuka to walk 20 feet at a stiff pace, not to mention they can't hear him tackle the guy from 20 feet away, and he doesn't make a single "ooomph" sound when hitting the ground. Or they don't hear his car starting up, in a relatively isolated industrial district with no real street noise around. And why are there even hookers around this area to hear the gunshot to begin with? They already said in Season 1 they avoid areas like this so they don't get dragged into one of these warehouses and killed. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

I don't know, maybe since Rita's gone we don't have anybody specific to hate on so are picking apart the show more critically than before, but I don't think that's it. Not giving up on it, and don't want to think they've jumped the shark, but something just doesn't sit right with this season so far, and it's already halfway over.

^ I definitely see your point. It's certainly not as exciting as the other seasons and yea you can tell they're getting sort of sloppy with their writing. Still enjoyable, just not to the same degree as previous seasons which leads me to believe either a) they have something big up their sleeves for a season 6 (which would maybe explain the "filler" type episodes we've been seeing in season 5 or b) they've realized they've running out of ideas and will stop at season 5.

Well, at least I was mistaken about his flashlight, perhaps it's not just a standard LED.

Still, if you're going to go to Boyd's and remove all traces that Lumen was there maybe she should stay the hell out of the friggin' house!!.

And if you're going to be moving corpses around, from what I assume to be somewhere near the Everglades, maybe you should think about moving them a few miles down the road instead of driving them through the middle of friggin' Miami!

Next week should at least be a little interesting, however. Assuming that Peter Well's character tailed Dexter and Lumen to the guy they beat the piss out of's house.

Not very enthralled with this season so far, S4 was definitely superior. As far as this season being better than Season 2, I'm not even going to touch that one.

Needless to say, though, I think Dexter has run its course. Hope I'm proven wrong, though.

What's with all the season 2 hate? I didn't realize people hated it so strongly.

I'm thinking this one is worse than S2, but I haven't seen the latest yet.

Last nights episode was good I thought. I liked the bar scene and the whole Fuentes brothers/Boyd cases are pretty interesting IMO. Not as great as some of the other previous seasons but still good.

What's with all the season 2 hate? I didn't realize people hated it so strongly.

I'm thinking this one is worse than S2, but I haven't seen the latest yet.

I haven't watched this season at all yet so I can't weigh in on how it compares, but Season 2 was definitely the worst of them. Doakes was not a very formidable opponent for Dexter, when you compare him to the other, ah, villains. I also found the girl, Lila, to be annoying, as well as the complications she added to Dexter and Rita's relationship. Pinning everything on Doakes, and the perfectly neat bow wrap up at the end just added to how weak the season was.

On the official Dexter forums, Season 3 seems to be the most detestable. Of course I haven't been on there since the end of Season 4. All I'm going to say is that not all parts of Season 2 were worthless.

I am enjoying this season and am looking forward to the co-op between him and the woman. I am not too critical about it, I have no watched 1-3 season, so its all nice.

This thread is so full of cynicism its stifling. What a sad world you people live in where you're constantly evaluating and reevaluating the "worst season" in a great show, to the point where its the main theme for your discussion in the thread. Sure, a season's quality can be better or worse than the others, but you guys talk as if anything not "great" is an affront to the other seasons. Shows have their ups and downs, and to always expect perfection because they gave you a taste of it once before is really a poor way to enjoy yourselves.

Anyways, I'm loving this season, and I loved every season before it. Suck on my massive enjoyment, fags.

You gotta admit the Angel and Laguerta thing is terrible.

That said, I quite liked the latest episode. Certainly one of the greatest so far this season. Very little Angel/Laguerta romance, nice scene in the club, plus it advanced the storyline nicely.

The Angel and Laguerta thing is pretty bad, yeah, but I don't really think it takes much away from the season. The important thing, to me at least, is that they handle the new situation Dexter is in with the girl right. They seem to be doing that.

For the record, I enjoyed all of the seasons to varying extents.

Anyway, latest episode was pretty entertaining. Interested to see where the season goes from here.

I'm willing to forgive all the shitty side plots as long as Laguerta takes it up the ass by the end of the season. **** her and her career. What she did to Deb was infuriating.

Nice episode this week, very nice ending.

I thought the ending was very implausible, ruined the episode for me
As if Dexter would casually dump a body in sight of any possible witnesses...

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Obviously they aren't dumping bodies 100 feet offshore. Seems like they are getting a bit lazy this season.

This latest episode was an improvement but i am still having trouble getting into this season. LaGuerata needs to bite the dust and let Angel take over as Lieutenant. I find her character infuriatingly obnoxious. She and her drama have become more annoying to me than Debra once used to be. Although, Deb's starting to revert into her whiny self again which i have become to loathe in the first few seasons. The show needs refocus on Dex and keep this soap opera bullshit to a low. I am already starting to lose interest.

Not that dumb. That's so dumb it can only be a deus ex machina of the most blatant kind.

True, that goes against his meticulous, established ways of disposing of victims, so it was fundamentally flawed. Still, I maintain that Dexter has been getting progessively dumber and I'd have to comb through the seasons again to confirm this plateau of stupidity.

I don't think it's a matter of dexter getting dumber, I think the writers have gotten lazier or simply ran out of ideas.

But honestly I still enjoy the show, when it gets renewed for another season I will look forward to it.

Well, the writers ultimately control dexter's careless behavior, which is a little inconsistent from Season 1/2. But characters change and evolve in some ways, devolve in others so I can't complain really. Anyway, I really enjoyed the last episode, best all season. Emotive, but not over-done. Lumen is turning out to be an interesting wrinkle in Dex's tried and true formula. I'm hoping she isn't killed off at the end of the season.

really liked the latest episode, was definitely different but cool. also Miami seems like a great place to shoot a tv show.

And he didn't. The way I remember it, Liddy took the pictures when Dexter and Lumen were in the marina about to take off, not when they were disposing of body.

I suppose bad editing could lead to that kind of misunderstanding.

really liked the latest episode, was definitely different but cool. also Miami seems like a great place to shoot a tv show.

The show is not shot in Miami. It's shot in Los Angeles.

Champion derailment, guys. If you've got a problem with each other, take it to PMs and then post it in the image dump.

And for a moment I thought you watched Dexter.

I am now disappointed.

And he didn't. The way I remember it, Liddy took the pictures when Dexter and Lumen were in the marina about to take off, not when they were disposing of body.

I suppose bad editing could lead to that kind of misunderstanding.

The very first "preview" image on the camera is right after she dumped the last bag, then he scrolls through them revealing other pics that could either be loading the boat up, or in the act of tossing the bags over. May be bad editing, or intentionally misleading editing, but she's standing with her hands at her sides, and they cut right to that same image on the camera.

^ But if you look at the times the photos were taken, they are seconds apart from each other. There's the last picture it cuts to, which looks just like what's been happening in the previous shot and then he scrolls back to pictures taken seconds before, where all the bags are standing behind them.

Either way, yeah, looks like an editing goof.

The story line with lumen really makes me cringe, she is a horrible actor in this. But everything else is great, anyone know how many episodes left?

The story line with lumen really makes me cringe, she is a horrible actor in this. But everything else is great, anyone know how many episodes left?

3 more episodes left for this season. You know, I always start the season off by saying "meh, this storyline wasn't as good as the last season" but it always grows on me. The Lumen storyline isn't any different for me.

Thought this episode was great, a lot of good tension and I'm starting to really like the whole Quin and his personal detective side story. His relationship with Deb is also getting a bit spicier after this episode.

Looking forward to the next one :)

I'm calling this now: Most of what is going on with Dexter and Lumen is discovered. Lumen takes the fall for Dexter to protect him.

It's been done already. So has Dexter 'winning' but considering the loss from the previous season...hell who knows.

Also, just caught up from the beginning of the series, now the super slow wait times between weeks D:

Back