Diablo 3 announced

Yeah, read this news yesterday. My guess is going to be a 2011 release, hopefully not 2012!

Wait a second...

Wasn't the world supposed to end or something in December 2012?

Well, I for one, will be sitting at my PC playing D3 as my house drops into the fiery depths of hell. Guess I'll get to meet Diablo in Person then, or at least his little brother-in-crime Mephisto... :(

-MRG

Wait a second...

Wasn't the world supposed to end or something in December 2012?

Well, I for one, will be sitting at my PC playing D3 as my house drops into the fiery depths of hell. Guess I'll get to meet Diablo in Person then, or at least his little brother-in-crime Mephisto... :(

-MRG

As long as Baal doesn't show up, I'm game.

That asshole.

2012? Mmmm kay. I won't give a crap by then because I'll be too busy watching hl3 tech demos

2012? Mmmm kay. I won't give a crap by then because I'll be too busy watching hl3 tech demos

Silly goose, Valve will have been bought by Activision-Blizzard by then, and will be forced to work on a "World Of Half-Life" MMO!:)

That might be awesome simply because I thrive off of ingesting nerd tears.

There are no words for how utterly boring I find this news.

What's the big deal about Diablo? It's just cutting your way through a bunch of enemies with no plot behind it.

What's the big deal about Diablo? It's just cutting your way through a bunch of enemies with no plot behind it.

Could you be, more wrong.

Actually playing the game you're trashing can sometimes help prevent yourself from looking like an idiot.

So if you're like me and you don't keep up on news, the Monk has been announced as the 4th class, which sounds a lot like the D2 Assassin. Based on speed and martial arts, with combo points and etc.

The 5th (and final) class is being announced in October at Blizzcon. Speculation suggests it will be an Archer, but I'm really hoping they'll do something different and introduce a healing class.

So if you're like me and you don't keep up on news, the Monk has been announced as the 4th class, which sounds a lot like the D2 Assassin. Based on speed and martial arts, with combo points and etc.

The 5th (and final) class is being announced in October at Blizzcon. Speculation suggests it will be an Archer, but I'm really hoping they'll do something different and introduce a healing class.
Or like the monk in the original Diablo (expansion).

They'll never add an overt healing class. They've stated on more than one occasion that they want each class to be able to function individually as well as in a group - although I guess a caster with a healing spec wouldn't be out of the question. Still, I doubt they'll even go that far.

Anyway, love me my archer/rogue types. Something like amazon where you can choose from multiple weapon specialties would be pretty neat, provided they change it up a bit.

Edit: Argh, anyone else seeing this? It was like that before I posted as well. If I click it it just refreshes page 37. @_@

foramz.jpg

but can't the wizard heal?

and ya, it'll probably be some sort of combat hybrid like the amazon
with a D3 twist of course

They'll never add an overt healing class. They've stated on more than one occasion that they want each class to be able to function individually as well as in a group - although I guess a caster with a healing spec wouldn't be out of the question. Still, I doubt they'll even go that far.

It could have both healing moves and offensive spells. They've managed to do that kind of balance with World of Warcraft, it wouldn't be hard to achieve in D3.

but can't the wizard heal?

Not to my knowledge, no.

It could have both healing moves and offensive spells. They've managed to do that kind of balance with World of Warcraft, it wouldn't be hard to achieve in D3.
Yeah, the healing classes have damage capabilities in WoW, but never at the same time. If you're healing you're not going to be doing damage and vice versa (unless that specific fight demands it for some reason). That kind of thing won't work as well for Diablo because it's an action RPG - it's as much about fast paced action as it is about personal glory, and pure healing isn't really either. If they can somehow properly hybridize the two without either nerfing or completely overpowering the class, I'd be all for it, but to my knowledge that is completely ****ing unprecedented. :p

Also, a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31VpcWV2R9E

Edit: Argh, anyone else seeing this? It was like that before I posted as well. If I click it it just refreshes page 37. @_@
I'm using the default posts per page, but yeah I had the problem as well. It's probably that duplicate post ID bug again.

Oh yeah I'm sure it'll be great, and perhaps the gameplay doesn't really lend itself to having a healer, but it's still my favourite thing to play. I'm sure I'll just suck it up and play the necromancer thing.

It won't be a healer. A healer wouldn't be able to solo the game.

I really really hope they DONT make droprates easier. It was very challenging in Diablo 2 to find the top gear, and insanely hard to find high runes. I like that, it made it so much more satisfying once you actually get it. I hope Blizzard wont "casual-ize" the game so that anyone can find the highest gear within a few days. I say ATLEAST 3-4 months of hard work to find the best shit.

It won't be a healer. A healer wouldn't be able to solo the game.

It would if they did it right. If they brought back a the paladin as a cleric-esque class that could wield a mace, wear plate armor, have auras, and throw out a few heals, it would be doable. It doesn't need to be 100% heals to be functional. Even if it was, you know, 30% heals and 70% dps, it would still work. Or even have most of the healing come from the talent trees. It's completely doable.

I really really hope they DONT make droprates easier. It was very challenging in Diablo 2 to find the top gear, and insanely hard to find high runes. I like that, it made it so much more satisfying once you actually get it. I hope Blizzard wont "casual-ize" the game so that anyone can find the highest gear within a few days. I say ATLEAST 3-4 months of hard work to find the best shit.

Oh that's something that changed, I feel like. Diablo 2 classic was like, getting to the endgame was a ridiculous challenge. Then in 1.09 everyone could do it. And then in 1.10 everyone was the maxxed level, soloing Baal on the highest difficulty while eating cake.

It would if they did it right. If they brought back a the paladin as a cleric-esque class that could wield a mace, wear plate armor, have auras, and throw out a few heals, it would be doable. It doesn't need to be 100% heals to be functional. Even if it was, you know, 30% heals and 70% dps, it would still work. Or even have most of the healing come from the talent trees. It's completely doable.
Well, when someone mentioned WoW Clerics I started thinking 'noooo.'

I didn't feel the Paladin was all that great for healing in the first place. Considering most tanky barbs work off of lifesteal anyway...

I was referring to the D2 Paladin, not the WoW Paladin, sorry for the confusion. The WoW Paladin is rubbish.

I was referring to the D2 Paladin, not the WoW Paladin, sorry for the confusion. The WoW Paladin is rubbish.

Someone's jealous of Paladins!

This gameplay looks pretty nice. A big step up from Diablo 2. My only complaint from simply looking at it is that I lose track of the center character and allied characters. There's no highlight/glow or anything that makes them pop from hordes of enemies. I think it's something that's possible to overcome after seeing the game for a while (which is why the designers prolly don't notice) but from initial impressions it's a bit confusing.

Someone's jealous of Paladins!

This gameplay looks pretty nice. A big step up from Diablo 2. My only complaint from simply looking at it is that I lose track of the center character and allied characters. There's no highlight/glow or anything that makes them pop from hordes of enemies. I think it's something that's possible to overcome after seeing the game for a while (which is why the designers prolly don't notice) but from initial impressions it's a bit confusing.

This. I dont know why they removed the light radius, they said it was impossible due to "technical limitations" which absolute bullshit. The lightradius also added a sense of lore feel to the game. The character was a lightsource, representing Good, and all the monsters around him were hidden in the dark, representing Evil. As the character leveled up and got better gear, the light radius increased showing that you are becoming more powerful. They should really consider this again.

This. I dont know why they removed the light radius, they said it was impossible due to "technical limitations" which absolute bullshit. The lightradius also added a sense of lore feel to the game. The character was a lightsource, representing Good, and all the monsters around him were hidden in the dark, representing Evil. As the character leveled up and got better gear, the light radius increased showing that you are becoming more powerful. They should really consider this again.

I couldn't agree more.

Was a reason ever given as to why the multiplayer will be limited to 4 people?

No idea, and its incredibly stupid considering there is 5 classes :/

Nothing is set in stone yet, we know how much gameplay changes with a company like Blizzard (who develops games in a very similar fashion to Valve, that is, quality above all).

They might be limiting each room to 4 players due to the difficulty as well as performance. Obviously, with 8 people in a room, the game might become too easy and cluster-****ed to be enjoyable.

4 players allow more loot chances per player, forces more cooperation between players (in D2, it's usually that one or two guy in the game who does pretty much all the killing) and will probably allow more enemies to be in the game on screen (any more players might reduce performance).

In D2, I remember how fast Baal runs were in Hell. When you have a full room, you get a person teleporting to the Baal room, then a cluster-**** of incredibly power heroes who does pretty much all the killing. The gameplay progresses too quickly, and makes you feel redundant.

But see, making the healing class balanced and solo-able in and of itself is only one problem - what about the rest of them? If you introduce healing to a game, it's rather useless unless there's actually a necessity for it. How do you make it necessary? You balance the game around it, and that means the other classes suffer for it. You can't just "have" healing in the game and not make it an integral part unless it's severely toned down to the point of being borderline useless (like the pally in D2). Not to mention, as someone stated, it's a 4 player game with 5 classes. What happens to games without the healer?

Okay there's something we agree on. :p

... You do realise the HUD was disabled in that video, right?

Heh, "technical limitations," what a cop out. It's not like Diablo 3 is running on a detailed 3D engine with tons of characters, effects, and physics interactions happening on-screen at any given time. It's not like Blizzard are committed to having their games run on mid-range PCs. Right?

I still don't understand why people are so attached to this. I'd rather be able to see the entire screen that be some living beacon of light (how symbolic!), and if that video I posted just now is any indication they've pulled the camera back considerably to facilitate this as well.

Heh, "technical limitations," what a cop out. It's not like Diablo 3 is running on a detailed 3D engine with tons of characters, effects, and physics interactions happening on-screen at any given time. It's not like Blizzard are committed to having their games run on mid-range PCs. Right?
Titan Quest had the glow and ran smoothly on my cheap dual core 8600GT setup (or maybe it was an X800XL). It came out over 4 years ago.

Titan Quest System Requirements
1.8 GHz. Processor, 512 MB RAM, 5 GB free HD space, NVIDIA GeForce 3/ATI Radeon 8500 or higher.
That's below low-range, nevermind mid-range. You're telling me people will be expecting to play D3 on anything less? Anyone with a slower processor probably won't even have the HD space to install the thing, and probably won't have Shader Model 3, which I'm guessing D3 will require.

Blizzard are dumbasses. They went back to the tetris inventory because of fan pressure, and they should go back to the light radius.

The world is filled with multiple lightsources that are constantly moving and being animated in various ways, shapes, and colors. 4 extra light sources for a 4party game wont do much to strain the performance.

Kay, I stand corrected on the technical limitations. I still say the light radius was never as big a deal as you're making out, certainly not crucial to the experience.

Also, they reverted the inventory? Huh, hadn't heard about that. Again, honestly couldn't care either way, but cool I guess.

Back