DirectX 9 Effects Trailer

synth

Reaction score
Doug Lombardi from Valve released a trailer today that shows off all the neat effects that are made possible by DirectX 9 and the Source Engine. The trailer shows off realistic outdoor scenes, bumpmapping, and shadows. Take a look over at Valve ERC. The file is 114 MB.

hmm.. are there any other mirror links for download yet? I'm drag'n at 11.5kb/sec on this one..

Considering that the post on the Valve ERC was made only about 10 minutes before I posted this here, I doubt anyone's finished downloading it yet... especially since it's going so slow.

This is the kinda time bittorrent would be useful :)

eAi

hah, they cut the link... FileShack should have it soon according to that page.

yeah unfortunately fileshack :/
been waiting in line since I posted :p average wait 1 hour (although when it started it said average wait 15 min) GRAAH LIARS

heh.. 70 min wait on fileshack... im gonna wait until they get some more mirrors.

if you havent seen it, you def have to :) its brilliant, just showing off some awesome effects in-game.
coolest one being the realistic sheen on the alien bug thingy. very very impressive

ok valve thanks for the awesome vid.
now gimme der game!!!1111!!one one eleven !!
:)

O man the video is pretty as a bitch... Listen to me when I say "ground breaking!" I've already watched it 10 times and let me just say it got my dick hard!!!!:eek:

ok, i'm officially going to be the first to say it, but that monster on the roof is one helluva phallic symbol... there.. I said it. :)

It's also worth mentioning that i think this is the first demo to have FSAA fully engaged. Those edges were perfectly straight. Almost no jaggies at all.

i think im in shock, that wwas the most beutiful preview of HL2 i have ever seen.....

I wonder what AA level it was. It certainly wasn't the highest level possible (that's playable), but it did look quite sweet, and I'm definately going to try to play at that level (I think Gabe once mentioned what he plays it at).
Of course, now the Doom3 people are going to egg us on about how HL2 looks plasticy too. :)

just amazing, I am definitely forkin out some money for that radeon 9800 pro...

well, i'd hold off few a few weeks and get the 9800 pro when the 9900 has come out, and pushed the 9800's price down a bit.

Would a 6900pro be able to get any of those directx9 goodies working, or should i just stick with my geforce2?

Originally posted by Apos
I wonder what AA level it was. It certainly wasn't the highest level possible (that's playable), but it did look quite sweet, and I'm definately going to try to play at that level (I think Gabe once mentioned what he plays it at).
I doubt it was 2x. Looks to clear to be that, 2x would be more blurry on the edges... But its hard to see as he constantly moves around (and since its not 100% authentic, meaning me playing). So it should be either 4x or 6x. Considering the scene, I think it could actually handle 6x...

Originally posted by Nannox
O man the video is pretty as a bitch... Listen to me when I say "ground breaking!" I've already watched it 10 times and let me just say it got my dick hard!!!!:eek:

I really didn't want to know that little boy. :p

Is there any point in me buying HL2 now... since I have a GeForce 4 MX440

Originally posted by mrBadger
I really didn't want to know that little boy. :p

Is there any point in me buying HL2 now... since I have a GeForce 4 MX440
You're gonna have to upgrade some time, whether you like it or not :)

not really, my comp does the jobs I need it to.... but I might have to upgrade ;( cos I want HL2 and Doom3 :)

I have downloaded the 119MB Source_HDR02.exe from ign and it is a bink video
But when I run it, it is very choppy, and plays 1024x768@60 ****ing hertz.
I have GF4MX 440 (witch I'm planing to change soon) with the latest detonators, and with the override refresh rate settings (you know..right clic on the screen-settings-advanced-graphic card tab) for 1024x768 @85hz
But the video still plays @60hz.
Any suggestion to up the refresh rate?
Oh and the nvidia refresh rate fix doesn't work on my pc don't know why but it doesn't.
But the override refresh rate settings works for all the games I play.

Do you see anything new from Half-Life2 or is it just plain show-offs?

Just showing off light effects. Nice though. I wanted to put on sunglasses.

And the Ant Lion looks very nice and shiny.

Yes, it is worthwhile.

crumbles.

I wonder what computer was used for that? Guess it's the same "old" 2,4 Ghz...

ARRRG!@ friggind dial up! I've had an application in for a 512 adsl connection for nearly a month now! yet I'm still stuck on dial up, I've been trying to download this for over 12 hours now, it's goign so damn slowly. I have seen some screen shots though, I know what you are talking about with that sheen! ooh I can't wait the 20 or so days till I own the game and can play it myself, no more waiting, plus I'll probaly have my ADSL by then too

Any suggestion to up the refresh rate?
Oh and the nvidia refresh rate fix doesn't work on my pc don't know why but it doesn't.
But the override refresh rate settings works for all the games I play. [/B]

The overrides only works when using Direct3D (and OpenGL? I forget). You could try powerstrip. The video runs at 1024x768 I believe. Do you run your desktop at 800x600? Go to the monitor tab under the dislplay properties-->settings tab-->advanced...The refresh rate you have set there is probably too high for your monitor at 1024, so when it tries to run the video it kicks you down to default 60hz.

Back