DLP vs LCD Televisions.

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
What do you guys consider to be the best out of the two? DLP or LCD televisions when it comes to HD gaming and HD television viewing?

Oh yeah, I forgot about plasma.

If you want tv, movies and games, you really can't beat a plasma. They are expensive, though.

What about DLP rear projection TVs? (these are not thin)

LCD is the way to go. It looks great and also doesn't have as high of a burn in rate. A friend of mine sells TVs, I'll get his opinion tomorrow and post it.

I've been selling TVs for a few years now, and I gotta say that if I were to put my money into a TV right now, it would be going into a 1080p Panasonic Plasma. The 80U series TVs are some of the best looking TVs out there. You can walk into a store and pay ~$820 for the 42" version, and ~$1350 for the 50". Burn-in is not much of an issue at all any more, with pixel-shift and white washing included in the options menu. Refresh rate, no issues like LCD. Also, contrast ratios are absolutely amazing.

The only issues would be a slightly heavier television, and slightly higher energy costs; neither of which are as much as they used to be.

So, that's where I put my money now. I may even buy a 42" for my bedroom. You will not find that kind of image quality anywhere in LCDs in my opinion, but to get close you would be spending $2500+ for a 52" LCD of the same quality.

I've got an HDTV and a plasma. Depending on what price/sizes you find, overall quality I recommend plasma but if you can find an HDTV 20" bigger for the same price I recommend that.
Oh and when it comes to a customized theatrical experience, get some god damn dimmer lights, god damn they're awesome.

I've got an HDTV and a plasma. Depending on what price/sizes you find, overall quality I recommend plasma but if you can find an HDTV 20" bigger for the same price I recommend that.
Oh and when it comes to a customized theatrical experience, get some god damn dimmer lights, god damn they're awesome.

Not to be difficult or anything, LCDs and Plasma are both HDTVs (although both could technically be standard def, they rarely are now). HD is just the resolution of the display, along with the signal of a broadcast. Just to avoid confusion.

I know its just called a HDTV but its one of those fat ones (not sure if it is in fact projection). We got it as a replacement upgrade for a projection (certain it was just projection). This was years ago, certain its not LCD.

I know its just called a HDTV but its one of those fat ones (not sure if it is in fact projection). We got it as a replacement upgrade for a projection (certain it was just projection). This was years ago, certain its not LCD.

Gotcha, so its probably either DLP or LCD Projection. Know what brand it is?

The 80U series TVs are some of the best looking TVs out there.

Have you seen one of these head to head with a Kuro? Panasonic plasma are great (i've still got one), but the Kuro is in a league of its own. If I wasn't a slave to front projection i'd have a 70" one of these in the lounge :) Both slay lcd imo.

Also, the scare stories of plasma burn in while gaming are a thing of the passed now, guys.

In my experience:

DLP projecting (best) - better blacks, better picture with larger dimensions, best color, light (weight), slightly deeper than LCD

LCD (good) - better color, thinner, back lighting issues, more potential for ghosting

Plasma (not the most practical choice) - the plasma will burn/leak out after substantial period of use, burn in issues, heavy , high contrast, good color, potential for sharp image

Have you seen one of these head to head with a Kuro? Panasonic plasma are great (i've still got one), but the Kuro is in a league of its own. If I wasn't a slave to front projection i'd have a 70" one of these in the lounge :) Both slay lcd imo.

Also, the scare stories of plasma burn in while gaming are a thing of the passed now, guys.

I have seen them head to head, and I definitely agree with you. But for the price, I still think Sub-$1500 for a 50" Panasonic 1080p is a better value than a $3500 Pioneer :).

Also, you speak the truth when talking about burn-in.

Burn-ins in plasmas? All LCD's still have 60degree viewing angles? Welcome to the last century. I can say that the burnins are bullshit nowadays. Plasmas use so many ways to prevent this (pixel shift etc), remember you can get burn-ins with CRT monitors too. I have a 20" CRT monitor with the windows 2000 login box in the middle. And remember that Plasmas have no response time and from what I have gathered Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas don't have input lag issues. When you compare that to let's say some Samsung LCD's which have the panel response time + ~40ms input lag.

But never buy a tv based on what other people have told you. Go see one your self. Just remember that do not go for those "hey a 500e 37" HD LCD!" -offers. My friend bought one of those normal SD picture on my plasma looks better than HD content on his LCD. If you're going for LCD's I'd recommend checking Sony W4500 models, and from plasma I'd recommend Panasonic PZ80/81/85 or Pioneer Kuro's if you can afford those.

As far as I know Pioneer has stopped making plasma panels, and are now buying from Panasonic.

Back