Do you think that the US should raise the blockede on Cuba?

Should USA raise thier blockade on Cuba?

• Yes

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • What blockade?

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Not until Castro dies.

Edit:...okay, maybe I let my anger get the better of me. But isn't it true that even if we lifted our blockade Castro would still refuse to have much of anything to do with us?

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
Not until Castro dies.

Edit:...okay, maybe I let my anger get the better of me. But isn't it true that even if we lifted our blockade Castro would still refuse to have much of anything to do with us?

But if it wasn't for the blockade, Cuba would probably be a democracy now, a communist democracy.

The_Monkey said:
But if it wasn't for the blockade, Cuba would probably be a democracy now, a communist democracy.
How do you figure? What would have stopped Castro from retaining power?

...In my opinion, I think it was stupid for us (US) to give Cuba its independence after the Spanish-American war. It's so much more beautiful than Puerto Rico (or so I've hear).

a communist democracy.. ha. no, cuba can shove it until they find the will to have a non commie leader.

gh0st said:
a communist democracy.. ha. no, cuba can shove it until they find the will to have a non commie leader.
I'm not worried...I think as soon as Castro goes down, we're instant allies.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
How do you figure? What would have stopped Castro from retaining power?

...In my opinion, I think it was stupid for us (US) to give Cuba its independence after the Spanish-American war. It's so much more beautiful than Puerto Rico (or so I've hear).

If you would have you (US) would have raised the blockade, then Cuba would be able to trade, Cuba would be richer, and when the people got it better they wouldn't accept a dictator. These are just my thoughts...

The_Monkey said:
If you would have you (US) would have raised the blockade, then Cuba would be able to trade, Cuba would be richer, and when the people got it better they wouldn't accept a dictator. These are just my thoughts...
No, I think that if Cuba had prospered under Castro, there would be more support for him among the Cuban public...as it is now, the Citizens just can't do much without the aid of some foreign country...and I think we gave up on invading that rock a long time ago.

...we just put military bases ALL OVER IT...ha ha...we own Cuba.

Castro wanted at first to be neutral in the cold war, or if that wasn't possible to work with the US, but he underestameted the greed of the US politicians, they needed cuba so that their companies there could have cheap laborars, cause slavery was abolished in the US. What else could he do than seek the aid of the communists.
Besides before castro there was a worse dictator in cuba, but he let the us have there their companies, hence he was supported.
IMO any guy that has the passion to give a speach for 8/12 hours long, and has the honesty to when fallen down to still give a speach telling his people of his conditions deserves some prais.
Simply put he is a dictator and not a nice one, but the blokades need to be lifted cause that will be in the best interests of the US and especially Cuba.

Grey Fox said:
Castro wanted at first to be neutral in the cold war, or if that wasn't possible to work with the US, but he underestameted the greed of the US politicians, they needed cuba so that their companies there could have cheap laborars, cause slavery was abolished in the US. What else could he do than seek the aid of the communists.
Besides before castro there was a worse dictator in cuba, but he let the us have there their companies, hence he was supported.
IMO any guy that has the passion to give a speach for 8/12 hours long, and has the honesty to when fallen down to still give a speach telling his people of his conditions deserves some prais.
Simply put he is a dictator and not a nice one, but the blokades need to be lifted cause that will be in the best interests of the US and especially Cuba.

you have been doing your homework. ;)

Yup, but just to be clear I don't think he is a nice guy, I think his regime is still brutal(well less than other dictatorships, but still relativly to my country for example), but I also think that raising the blokade will help cuba and the US, cause I do believe that castro is willing to work with other nations and open up cuba and that he does want to do what is right for cuba and not only himself. Just look at china, if the US and the World want to be consistant then they should blokade china to.

I say bury the hatchet... get over it, its not the cold war anymore. :)

bliink said:
I say bury the hatchet... get over it, its not the cold war anymore. :)
Nevermind the oppressive government, lack of freedom, communism, and numerous human rights crimes!

RakuraiTenjin said:
Nevermind the oppressive government, lack of freedom, communism, and numerous human rights crimes!

Well, for the last few decades, starving them to death doesnt exactly make you an angel either- and well, it doesnt seem to be fixing the problem eh?
Sanctions just punish the people

RakuraiTenjin said:

pot calling the kettle black ..ummm didnt you try to assisinate him? something called the Bay of Pigs?

i belive jfk bacily told castro to **** off when fidel wanted to ally with him, because its better red than dead.

and batista let cuba become a party ground for us naval troops and rick buisnessmen

RakuraiTenjin said:

I understand your objections, but I as many beliefe that raising the blockade will actually mean improvment for the situation there, I mean look at NK, it is the most isolated and the most ruthleass dictatorship in teh world, but look at how china and singapore have imrpoved, especiall Singapore. Or tell me this, do you beliefe the US should blockade china too if they blockade cuba, and if you say no to that, then why not china, but cuba yes.

Grey Fox said:
I understand your objections, but I as many beliefe that raising the blockade will actually mean improvment for the situation there, I mean look at NK, it is the most isolated and the most ruthleass dictatorship in teh world, but look at how china and singapore have imrpoved, especiall Singapore. Or tell me this, do you beliefe the US should blockade china too if they blockade cuba, and if you say no to that, then why not china, but cuba yes.

Beacouse the US wouldn't dare to any near China. That would start the 3rd World War. And BTW, there hasn't been one single real communist state in the world. Cuba was on its way, but failed.

Yup, real communims is a dream, and I do believe castro was a dreamer and still is in some sence. But most people like mao, the khamer rouge, kim sung ill,lenin and especially stalin, just used it to get the people on their sides, but never really had any intentions of making a communist republic, but just to have power.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
I'm not worried...I think as soon as Castro goes down, we're instant allies.
that's the funniest thing ever :p

I bet all Cubans love the country that made them poor and has kept them systematically poor. You'll never be allies with those people as long as there are Cubans alive who lived through this.

RakuraiTenjin said:

If you would have a clue, you'd know communism shouldnt be placed in line with crimes.

And I for one, have not heard or seen of the "lack of freedom" you describe, nor the oppressive government, during my stays there. I was in Cuba 3 times, for about 8 days every time.
People cant be more free ffs.

CptStern said:
pot calling the kettle black ..ummm didnt you try to assisinate him? something called the Bay of Pigs?
He deserved it! He was talking sh*t!

Cuba has the best public medicin system of the World. Suck on that MediCare Americans :p

Castro is good people. He's lighten up these past years.
Allowing Bibles in and what not. Those are major strides for a communist nation.

Whether or not the US lifts the embargo, oh well.
I'm moving to the Carribean, so I'll visit Uncle Castro and do some business with him. :)

Sprafa said:
Cuba has the best public medicin system of the World. Suck on that MediCare Americans :p

Yeah, that's true. If it weren't for the undemocratic system, Cuba would be a real communist state. (Before you start arguing, read the communistic manifestos :p)

I think that USA should just mind their own buisnes and maby consider to clean up their own country before they start to nag on everybody else.
Why don't they start with NOT electing bush as president. But since thats already to late I belive they should do everyting in their power to kick him out of the white house.

Peace

ferd said:
If you would have a clue, you'd know communism shouldnt be placed in line with crimes.

And I for one, have not heard or seen of the "lack of freedom" you describe, nor the oppressive government, during my stays there. I was in Cuba 3 times, for about 8 days every time.
People cant be more free ffs.
I also went to cuba once for three weeks. I stayed with people over there (not in a hotel) and I never heard of anyone shy to say what he thinks or taking about a lack of freedom. Still, its not perfect over there and there are some political prisoners in cuba.

Anyways, this changes nothing to the fact that the only result of the blockade is that the population suffers. In the sixties and 70s, maybe it was a good way to encourage democracy, but in this post cold war era it is not.

A fact about cuba is that until Castro dies, it will be a communist dictatorship because he is loved by his people. Nothing can change that. What can be changed is what happens after Castro. If americans keep the blockade, cuba will not change much because the people wont have a favorable view of the american democracy. On the other hand, removing the blockade is a great way for americans to sell their political idea, thus helping democracy become a reality in Cuba.

Sprafa said:

i thought germany was the best and cuba second

Unfortunately I haven't known all that much about the situation in Cuba, besides the cuban missile crisis. I'm a bit dissapointed in myself.

Back