DoD coming soon and HL 1: DM Source

A

Azlan

Reload your Steam Client and you will see this update:

We've been pretty quiet about Day of Defeat: Source in the last few weeks. But new information and images from DoD: Source will be made available starting next week, as we lead to its release. We've been steadily working away on this project, and we're excited to see what everyone thinks of what we've produced. [br]</br>
In the coming weeks we'll also be releasing a Source revived version of Half-Life 1: Deathmatch. People who already own Half-Life 1: Source will receive this as a free download.
[br]</br>
Next Saturday, Valve's CEO and founder, Gabe Newell, will be giving the commencement speech at Southern Methodist University's Guildhall, a university program offering course work in game design. Two groups of students enrolled in the program will be releasing the Source MODs they produced during their term. More information on the games they've built is available on their websites:
[br]</br>
Eclipse: http://students.guildhall.smu.edu/eclipse/ [br]</br>
Samurai Legends: http://students.guildhall.smu.edu/samurailegends/

HL1 DM Source! OMG! YES! Finally, crossfire tripmine INSANITY AGAIN!!!!!!

TFC:Source would've made more sense and has waaay more players than DM 1.

A hl:dm source seems like a big waste of time to me. =/

Those two mods are certainly worth paying more attention. They look really awesome.

lol so they spend time porting HL1 DM while HL2 DM players complain they dont get any updates.

I dont play HL DM but find it odd they are putting time there when the newer version seems to need a bit of attention still.

Holy crap! I just watched the trailer for Eclipse, and it does look mighty ****ing awesome. :D
And according to the site, it's coming out at the end of June! :D:D
I gotta go change my pants.

"We've been pretty quiet about Day of Defeat: Source in the last few weeks."

More like months tbh, but atleast they are finally telling us they have actually gotten underway on it!

Zaph said:
Holy crap! I just watched the trailer for Eclipse, and it does look mighty ****ing awesome. :D
And according to the site, it's coming out at the end of June! :D:D
I gotta go change my pants.
Next Saturday = end June (18th) :)

For christ's sake people ... VALVe are capable of working on multiple projects. Just because one annoucement is not pleasing to you is no reason to rubbish the whole company!
HL:S DM is FREE. Get that? It's a bonus that many people, perhaps not you, would love to play. Please, please stop complaining every time we get an update :( It's so depressing ...

On a lighter note, yay for more Source mods!

This is some of the best news I've heard recently. Finally, a chance to use my hivehand again! Long live the bee gun!

zodiak said:
A hl:dm source seems like a big waste of time to me. =/

How does it? I personally can't wait for it! HL: Deathmatch rules all!

Wow, those mods look excellent! Why haven't we heard about them before? They certainly show that the Source engine is capable of generating beautiful scenery.

woo :D
DOD:S update and 2 mods revealed, what a week!! :thumbs:
anyway hopefully these mods get more attention as time goes on.

Mountain Man said:
Wow, those mods look excellent! Why haven't we heard about them before?

I'll take "Because they are school projects" for 1,000 Bob.

I'd pay money for Eclipse.

Well I'd like to play it first.

Will it be sourcified in the same way as Half-Life:Source? As in a slight touch-up here and there and physics?

woo havent posted here in a while

i bet including hl1 source deathmatch with hlsource will bring in some more sales for hlsource

Kirkburn said:
For christ's sake people ... VALVe are capable of working on multiple projects. Just because one annoucement is not pleasing to you is no reason to rubbish the whole company!
HL:S DM is FREE. Get that? It's a bonus that many people, perhaps not you, would love to play. Please, please stop complaining every time we get an update :( It's so depressing ...

On a lighter note, yay for more Source mods!

ditto....

Very cool. DOD:Source

and Half-Life Dm SOURCE OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!

Ahnteis said:
I'll take "Because they are school projects" for 1,000 Bob.
What does that have to do with anything? Are people not allowed to advertise their mod just because it's a school project?

When HL: DMS comes out you can bet that someone will start making a graphical update, replacing all the models and textures with HL2 quality ones.

Unless it's included at launch. :O

Lincoln said:
When HL: DMS comes out you can bet that someone will start making a graphical update, replacing all the models and textures with HL2 quality ones.

Unless it's included at launch. :O
Don't hope for it :p

And guys, start spreading the word: Eclipse is coming next Saturday! :naughty:

Kirkburn said:
Just because one annoucement is not pleasing to you is no reason to rubbish the whole company!
whos rubishing Valve?

3 or so people saying they think its odd they are working on thisdoesnt in any way mean they are rubishing Valve. No need to be so defensive

Lincoln said:
Yeah, it's called Half-Life 2: Deathmatch.

Insane said:
And guys, start spreading the word: Eclipse is coming next Saturday! :naughty:
You sure about that? The download page says:

"Celtech Studios is working hard on the Beta version of Eclipse. The game is in testing and a release date will be made public soon."

Edit: Found a little more information on the forums (link):

"The game consists of 3 highly detailed levels and 1 'survival' mini-game map."

"Unless someone buys the rights to the game from the Guildhall (unlikely), this will be the only chapter that will be produced."

"...please keep in mind that this was a 5 month school project. During these 5 months the team members also had to work on numerous side projects, class assignments, exams, etc. What this all boils down to is we really only had 3 months to come up with a concept for a game, learn the editor, exporting and importing tools/techniques, create and implement gameplay, create and texture a multitlude of models, create special effects, shaders, rig and animate characters, playtest the game, fix bugs, polish what we could - the list goes on and on.
All in all, the team did an absolutely fantastic job in the short amount of time we had. Compare all of the above to the average time it takes to make a game (18 months) and you will understand why there are 3 chapters and not 15. As for more chapters in the future? Well, it would be a lot of fun to be able to do, but I don't think it could happen since we are all students and graduating at the end of the month. Plus I'm pretty sure the Guildhall owns the rights to the game."

So as good as this total conversion looks, it appears that it's not going to provide more than a few hours of entertainment. Pity.

I'm confused. There are now going to be three versions of HLDM?

- The original version
- The new Source version - which other than being in Source, will be identical to the original just like HL1:S was? (In which case I hardly see the point)
- A third version made by the Black Mesa Source team, which will be 100% remodelled levels and graphics?

Correct me if I've got it all wrong!

In any case, it seems we can look forward to many new iterations of Killbox.... :sleep:

Mountain Man said:
Lincoln said:
Yeah, it's called Half-Life 2: Deathmatch.
HLDM plays nothing like HL2DM, though

arg, now i really wish I paid the extra 10 dollars to get the silver package. sigh

Smigit said:
whos rubishing Valve?

3 or so people saying they think its odd they are working on thisdoesnt in any way mean they are rubishing Valve. No need to be so defensive
Not wishing to anger you in any way, but yes people rubbished VALVe in this thread ("waste of time"), yes they always do it, and yes it *is* depressing.
I'm not being defensive, I just wish for happy news and comments. Which this was, and there have been. :)

blah, this sucks cause i have to have HL: source in order to play DM or DOD

|Dystopia| said:
TFC:Source would've made more sense and has waaay more players than DM 1.

yeh well valve dosn't support anything that has to do with team fortress

FortressForever is a good example, they would rather support mods like pirates knights and vikings, which is a good mod but has the community size = to that of hl1 dm

and since most people didn't buy hl1 source, most tpeople wont miss the hl1 dm source

Back