Doom 3 is screwed....

Originally posted by gamevoodoo
Guys, have u seen the movie Final Fantasy : the spirit within? If doom3 looks plastic to you, u must also find that film looks plastic. Movie industry always get the highest technology in graphics, doom3's graphcs can be compared to the level of that film
Boy, you didnt get much out of that movie, eh? The difference between Doom III and FF is that it actually had HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES (my guess is that you have to add EXTREMELY in front of that). Doom III is a blurry mess in comparison.

Doom3 is more for the next generation of hardware since it will come out couple months later than hl2
Since when did that has anything to do with it? Jedi Knight Academy is piss poor in the graphics area, and last time I looked, it isnt even out yet.

I think actually hl2 do a better job in the story, Gordon is not alone, and he fights the invaders with a group of people. Someone said that doom3 is a 1996 designed game for 2004, i don't agree with him , but part of what he said is true, it used to be a lot "one man's army" movies before 2000, many action games ideas are under influence of those movies.

Originally posted by dawdler
Boy, you didnt get much out of that movie, eh? The difference between Doom III and FF is that it actually had HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES (my guess is that you have to add EXTREMELY in front of that). Doom III is a blurry mess in comparison.

I don't have doom3 alpha, so everything i have seen are from the pictures, the graphics in those pictures looks so nice. Maybe I should get alpha and run it, then try to compare it to ff.

Originally posted by dawdler
Since when did that has anything to do with it? Jedi Knight Academy is piss poor in the graphics area, and last time I looked, it isnt even out yet.

many videogame companies just make the game to sell the game, they will focus a lot on gameplay but they don't mind to get the best out of the engine that they are using. Unlikely, iD not only sells games but also licenses their engines, they will try to make doom3 a great game and also they want to show off the best out of their engine. Therefore they focus a lot on aspects such as graphics, physics, etc. To get the most out of doom3, it could requires the upcoming hardware run it, since its system requirement is so high.

To get the most out of doom3, it could requires the upcoming hardware run it, since its system requirement is so high.
Note all the Doom III benchmarks. Then note all the HL2 info so far (40 fps on a 2ghz/9700). Seems to be about the same speeds to me. Actually HL2 seems to show LOWER speeds than Doom III, thus more taxing on the computer. But maybe not, I havent tried the alpha either, as it would be no point doing it only on my 9700 without any Geforce reference.

"Ahh! A portal to the gates of hell have opened and only one man can save us all! Ahh!"

I think the portal to hell opened on these forums a long time ago and no one moderator can save us all...

I just think that doom3 engine is slightly more advance than source engine. I may be wrong, since my judgment is simply based on the fact that the low end computers can still run hl2 but won't be able to run doom3. The developpers who make their engine to license would like their engine to last longer through the evoluation of hardware in the future. I think doom3 engine is made for that.

I just think that doom3 engine is slightly more advance than source engine. I may be wrong, since my judgment is simply based on the fact that the low end computers can still run hl2 but won't be able to run doom3. The developpers who make their engine to license would like their engine to last longer through the evoluation of hardware in the future. I think doom3 engine is made for that.
So is Source :)

At any rate, it doesnt matter, cause the simple fact is: if Hl2 is on time, it wil RULEZ Doom III when it is released. HL2 will be so large, it would take a meteor 20km in diameter to move its position as number 1. I honestly doubt Doom III is that meteor...

i hope hl2 will be the greatest game with the greatest community, in that way, i don't have to buy all the upcoming games.

i'm think if doom3 can a 4 players coop multipay could be fun
So do I. Deathmatch sure wont be for normal gamers. For coop on the other hand it would be perfect. But somehow I doubt it will make it... But consdering they just started MP, maybe :)

Engines evolve also, don't forget that gamevoodoo. Remember halflife ran perfectly fine with a 300mhz and 64 ram and a voodoo3 or 2. But try to run a mod like NS or DoD now with those specs and you'll get a nice slideshow to look at. The Source engine is mod-friendly we already know that from statements from the big cheese over at Valve, so we can suppose that later on mods will require higher cpu resources: meaning longer life span for the game and its' mods. :)

if they don't make it, too bad for iD, maybe doom3's mod community will make it...
I just plan to buy hl2, if doom3's final product is great, i will buy it also.

hey dawdler, i live in canada, and i haven't slept the whole night, now it's 7 o'clock in the morning, are u doing the same thing?

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
Engines evolve also, don't forget that gamevoodoo. Remember halflife ran perfectly fine with a 300mhz and 64 ram and a voodoo3 or 2. But try to run a mod like NS or DoD now with those specs and you'll get a nice slideshow to look at. The Source engine is mod-friendly we already know that from statements from the big cheese over at Valve, so we can suppose that later on mods will require higher cpu resources: meaning longer life span for the game and its' mods. :)

absolutly right, that's what i'm waiting for hl2 mods.

if they don't make it, too bad for iD, maybe doom3's mod community will make it...
I just plan to buy hl2, if doom3's final product is great, i will buy it also.

hey dawdler, i live in canada, and i haven't slept the whole night, now it's 7 o'clock in the morning, are u doing the same thing?
In this very moment its 14:50. Huzzah for milatary timing! :p

Originally posted by figge
When did this forum become a part of "Doom3.net - the definitive D3 Source" ?

This is the Hl2 forum, not doom3...

Well it are these stupid uninformed HL fanboys that start these treads..

9 out of 10 reviews were 4 or 5 star MP previews from that game..

ooh yeah the only negative was indeed 'some' framedrops at 'some' places,mostly when 3 or 4 people meet i assume

Common every game has it's optimalisations even after the game is done
..and it's not done..it was just a first test (a betatest in a controlled environment as ID states )

Like now you have to have a p4 2ghz and radeon 9700 pro at least for 40 fps in 1280X...32 bit HL 2 not ,exactly easy on the system (and you will need 1024x 32 bit hi detail in HL2 to get eyecandy, in doom3 you already have it at low res)

I know people with a p4 2.8 512 dual ddr ram and radeon 9800 pro that run the alpha of doom at 60 fps so?

please leave it and just play the gameswhen they are done

btw, if you want doom3 to look as good as it can, get a 9800pro. Not a 5900ultra.

ATI's drivers are currently broken for D3 (or were when every site did benchmarks) so you can't really say that it'll be better/faster. At the moment, all we know is that the 5900 smokes ATIs at higher resolutions in Doom3.

Boy, you didnt get much out of that movie, eh? The difference between Doom III and FF is that it actually had HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES (my guess is that you have to add EXTREMELY in front of that).

Also insanely high polygon counts and a number of proceedural shaders that no game can currently handle.

very important : if eyecandy doens't count why is every game so eager to own a hi end card with AA AF en the abality to run games at full detail? because it's fun to play like that in a game, smooth and in the detail it is supposed to be played

Doom3 has no more polys then the avrage Quake3 engine rendered scene....because of the bumpmapping tech..in quake3 you had to do it in full geometry... please read and inform before you post..

Originally posted by Yo-Han
Doom3 has no more polys then the avrage Quake3 engine rendered scene....because of the bumpmapping tech..in quake3 you had to do it in full geometry... please read and inform before you post..
3-5k polys on an average Quake 3 player?
And a quote from another page:
"Carmack said himself that DOOM III pushes around 150k polygons, compared to 10k in Q3A (his words)"

I just finished downloading doom3 alpha through kazza, while extracting, there were like 5 files corrupted, but i went to start the game right away (deleting config, typing codes in the console etc), man my videocard sucks, i can't see any texture at all in the game, everything is black and wierd, i know i'm in the game, in the map, but just can't see what's going on. Then i tried to move around, certainly some monster jump out and attack me to death, the only thing i saw was the blood that splash in frong of me. Any suggestion on how to improve the graphics? Is it due to the corrupted file? Should i redownlaod it again? btw, i hate kazza.

whats your graphics card? I had like 2 corrupted files, they were like Time Demo 1 or something like that.

These are the corrupted files:
Doom_III\base\textures\recyc_wall\girders02e128flat2_fin_s.tga.

Doom_III\base\textures\recyc_wall\girders02e128_fin_b.tga.

Doom_III\base\textures\recyc_wall\girders02e128_fin_d.tga.

Doom_III\base\models\mapobjects\skmachines\skpipeblock_s.tga.

Doom_III\base\models\characters\sarge2\sarge.tga.

my videocard is Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Controller.

If you are super kind , you can consider sending me the above files, my e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks!

4 players for doom3 coop will be great, since with too many players the game won't be scary anymore. and with 4 players only, we tend to stack together which makes the atmosphere even more exciting. If doom3 release with coop mp, i will buy the game and i will only play coop mode for the story.

Only the models have more polys that's true..i was talking about environment...walls, buildings etc..characters indeed have more polygons, these are ID 's words..so it' the truth .. about 5000 (original from 1 000 000 poly characters)..but still ID stated that the engine could handle 10 enemies at the time...(that'll be on hi end systems for shure by the time it's released)
Common! don't you like developpers pushing the envelope..now a radeon 9800 or gf fx plays everything with ease..HL2 and Doom3 will change that... ok bad for poor earning gamers...good for ATi and nvdia..good for technological competition and more tech stuff to come

640x480 looks alot better than any other games in 1280x768 and was playable. For those who says it looks plastic, that's propably because you didn't play it cuz ingame, with all the lightning effects, its georgous. Screenshots don't reflect the real taste you get when you play it. ID should have released some movies just like Valve did. Anyway, HL2 will rockZorz any other games till 2006 :)

OK this i posted on a doom3 forum in a simular vs tread..the hostilaty towards HL2 on the doomforum was way more in the minorety there compared to hostilty to doom3 here:

"After looking like 5 times at the DOOM3 E 2003 trailer i'm convinced it will have been worth waiting for ...i was already highly anticipating sinds the MACworld demo

Sinds the release of HL2 material people suddenly started to compare or even to dislike DOOM3 material...

HL2 has a big community..mostly 10x more online players then the number 2 game...the more popular something is ,the more fuzz,the more this and that..i always tend to lean to the underdog

HL1's(and the MOD's of it) popularity is what valve uses now..the'll have to sell another game..it'll be quality..so will be DOOM3,both Valve and ID can do it as top game developpers

For me personally they should better release a trailer or demo one or two months before the game ships,open their site and then just sell it,but the money making part has become to important these days i think..so there's enough buzz around long time before the game ships...it's all part of making your product attractive just like in commercials ...

I'll buy em both ..i'm very excited about cinema like graphics in games..i can not believe someone didn't want to compare movies and games... Pixar laughed at Nvidia if they told they would render TOY story graphics on a PC..he, look now..2 years later and something like DOOM3 seems to be coming close.
...that's what i'm happy about..progress ,developpers trying to push the edge further and making use of new graphics and physics technology..bot ID and valve are contributing to that..

Most VS discussions are based on personal taste i think for the rest...
I can't wait to encounter badasses never before displayed in DOOM3,and all the levs we've not seen,we only see these first 3 basic levels or so,very curious about HELL to...

We've seen a bit more about HL2... and i have to say that most levels and movies look very promising though very different in atmosphere then DOOM's..but that's personal taste..in terms of the BEST and most innovative graphics i tend to favour DOOM3."

Now i really quit arguing it has no purpose anymore,gameplay you can only discuss when you played them..have fun gaming !

Originally posted by Yo-Han Only the models have more polys that's true..i was talking about environment...walls, buildings etc..characters indeed have more polygons, these are ID 's words..so it' the truth .. about 5000 (original from 1 000 000 poly characters)..but still ID stated that the engine could handle 10 enemies at the time...(that'll be on hi end systems for shure by the time it's released)
So Carmack lied about what his engine could handle? Oh well...

Common! don't you like developpers pushing the envelope..now a radeon 9800 or gf fx plays everything with ease..HL2 and Doom3 will change that... ok bad for poor earning gamers...good for ATi and nvdia..good for technological competition and more tech stuff to come
HL2 and Doom III are not the first. Splinter Cell is one. TRAOD is another. Both are already released, and have been for a while.

Gotta love the title of this thread....

"Doom 3 is screwed...."

lol.

Anyway, I too would not want to play on Doom multi with a 600x480 resolution. An resoultion of 800X600 would be just fine with me though...

does anyone still care about my videocard and my 5 corrupted files? ok, it doesn't matter , i'm so hungry and tired now. Feed me first.

the hostilaty towards HL2 on the doomforum was way more in the minorety there compared to hostilty to doom3 here:

You seem to translate "reality" into "hostility." It's not hostile to point out that D3 isn't God's gift to man. I can't wait for D3. But I'm also not going to pretend that it can walk, chew gum, and cook me breakfast.

don't you like developpers pushing the envelope..now a radeon 9800 or gf fx plays everything with ease..HL2 and Doom3 will change that... ok bad for poor earning gamers...good for ATi and nvdia..good for technological competition and more tech stuff to come

If all you care about is pushing the limits, you can just get yourself a Beowulf cluster and render super-high poly scenes in realtime. There's nothing particularly impressive about making high-end hardware produce high-end results.

so why all these efforts to quote me..relax man..i have no problem with most of you guys,i know the difference between gaming and having fun and reality.

Ok the most people are not hostile..but some are..but they are kids or narrow minded and i don't care...
about the games themselves i 'm not arguing anymore.
..ok if nobody does some work on rendering we all would still be playing like with doom1 graphics..like that more?
I happen to have respect for people who push the enveloppe in technology..i'm a technician..

to be honest i like FUN in games(for the 10 000 time) and for me good graphics add to the FUN personally ..i do not want a photorealitisc war game where i see my friends guts being shot out..that's not fun..understand ..don't assume so much by a few lines written by people..i'm sure if we could talk IRL there wouldn't be so much misinterpretating

Originally posted by Apos

If all you care about is pushing the limits, you can just get yourself a Beowulf cluster and render super-high poly scenes in realtime. There's nothing particularly impressive about making high-end hardware produce high-end results.

You base fool.

Are you honestly suggesting he builds his own supercomputer?

does anyone still care about my videocard and my 5 corrupted files? ok, it doesn't matter , i'm so hungry and tired now. Feed me first.
there's another file on Kazaa called "doom_iii_alpha FIX.exe". I don't know if it will help you - i'm downloading both the alpha and the fix now.

To end this...i already said..don't take it to seriously..a game is just something i play to pass time when i'm alone... a game never will be as important as lifelike things..music comes 2nd and then film and then games..for me..now i said way more then i mostly do on forums..

the discussion stayed fine for me..here i only tried to take out some misunderstandings about doom that's all...

If you say when it's released I hated it...whell that's fine for me

Thx gabe you understand without some explenation..readin' between the lines i call that(but not analyzing text t'ill death)..

PS edit Id is just pushing the envelope within the possabilities of current hardware..they are nothing doing like rocket science(although carmack does in his free time :) )..carmack even stated that the latest hardware did even surpass their doom tech(based on GF3 at the time) and he probably will make another new engine,knowing the fact that the doom one will last a few years

All you guys like to point out how Doom 3 looks all plasticy and unreal, but you dont mention how characitured (sp?) HL2's people seem to look. Its all in the style of the game.

i hope no one thinks he is actualy gabe! lol, that would be plain embarising for the person lol.

Back