Will Oblivion Run on my PC

Reaction score
Hey mods!! Can we make this a SUB FORUM THis game will be huge it would be nice to have a one spot shop for it WHAT YOU THINK:) PWEASE;(

First off this game is going to be AWSOME!! i'm getting it for the 360 so i can pop it in and play it with no worries.

Are you going to get it for PC or 360?

If pc then check these Specs A guy posted in another thread .:eek:

What are the PC system requirements?

Recommended:
3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1 GB System RAM
ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:
Windows XP
512MB System RAM
2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
128MB Direct3D compatible video card
and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
8x DVD-ROM drive
4.6 GB free hard disk space
DirectX 9.0c (included)
DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
Keyboard, Mouse

Textures: Oblivion Will likely come with a number of texture settings, to fit on cards with different amounts of video RAM. Likely, there will be a "reduced" for 128MB video cards, and a "full" for 256MB video cards. Using anisotropic filtering will make it require more video RAM.
Resolution: Lastly, of course, you can change the resolution, thereby altering the number of pixels to draw, and hence directly affecting performance. Oblivion will support any resolution from 640x480 and up, including any aspect ratio, right out of the box, as long as your monitor supports it. So you can turn down the resolution to improve overall performance, as well as allowing widescreen buffs to use their 16:9 displays properly.
On Multi-Threading
According to Gavin Carter (Kathode) in an interview with Evil Avatar, he reported that Oblivion will "definitely benefit from dual-processor systems." This would translate as well into benefiting from having a dual-core CPU, or even a CPU with support for Hyper-Threading Technology.

In a more recent update, Gavin Carter reported to Bit-Tech (link) that the PC version of the game will feature the same thread-scheduling technology that's being used to take advantage of all three of the Xbox 360's CPU cores. In other words, this will mean that Oblivion will attain great benefits from multi-core CPUs. Note that the E3 demo and E3 trailer were made before dual-core processors existed, so they aren't necessary, but rather an awesome addition.
The Video Card Shopping Guides
If you need/want to upgrade your video card, I have prepared two lists of video cards, first AGP then PCI-express, of cards that I've found are the best deals for what you get. Note that these are all RETAIL, and ONLINE, for the UNITED STATES; change any of those things, and prices will change as well. Click the card name to go to the page with the card for sale. (it may have sold out/changed since the last update, so be aware) Unless otherwise stated, the card listed will not only meet the requirements for Oblivion at a medium-level, but will also support SM 3.0; there are still a couple of exceptions listed, and I note this in their description.

AGP:
$112US: GeForce 6600, AGP with 256MB video RAM - This is the lowest 256MB video card I can recommend. It's still a rather decent mid-range card, and offers quite a bit for the money. Although the other cards on this list are all more powerful, this is good if your priorities are for detail over resolution/performance, and you're on a budget.
$120US: Radeon 9800pro, AGP with 128MB video RAM - This card is a little outdated now, but in performance, it can hold its own against the GeForce 6600GT. However, it has no SM 3.0 support.
$129US: GeForce 6600GT, AGP with 128MB video RAM - A bit more powerful than the 9800pro, it also supports shader model 3.0; this will help ease some "laggy" shader- and lighting-intensive scenes in games. (think flashlight in foggy corridors)
$149US: Radeon X1600pro, AGP with 256MB video RAM - Although notably more pricy than the 6600GT, it does offer better SM 3.0 support, as well as having 256MB video RAM.
$166US: GeForce 6800, AGP with 128MB video RAM - This is a VERY nice price/power ratio alone, and this card is also well-known among system tweakers because it's really just a 6800GT with a few easily-broken limits placed on it. The downside? Only 128MB of video RAM. (the 256MB version costs as much as a full 6800GT, hence it's not included)
$219US: GeForce 6800GS, AGP with 256MB video RAM - Unfortunately, this card is actually clocked slower than its PCI-e cousin, and is more expensive as well. However, compared to other AGP cards, it's still a good choice for a high-end card. Note that this is the BFG "Overclocked" version; it's actually a bit faster than normal 6800GS cards for AGP, but still not to the same level as the PCI-e version.
$319US: GeForce 7800GS, AGP with 256MB video RAM - The most modern AGP video card available. Supports SM 3.0, and comes with top-grade performance. Because a stock 7800GS will have the snot beaten out of it by ATi's top AGP cards, the one selected is eVGA's "superclock" edition, which has an obscene overclock; from 350/1000MHz to 460/1350MHz. This is the highest performance AGP card available.
$400US: Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition, AGP with 256MB video RAM - Although at stock clock speeds, it will generally beat the 7800GS overall, the high price of this card, as well as the fact that most 7800GS cards come overclocked by default, make this a generally bad choice, but it's there; it's also what a lot of forum-goers have bought over the past few months. Thanks to gamedude4993 for providing the link; Fry's isn't among the sites I usually look at, but I know it to be very reputable. (get the 7800GS superclock instead, listed above; it's effectively superior all-around)

PCI-express:
$93US: GeForce 6600, PCI-e with 128MB video RAM - This is perhaps the lowest card that I can truly recommend. Anything cheaper has some fairly serious issues with it. Cheapest card that supports shader model 3.0.
$99US: Radeon X1300pro, PCI-e with 256MB video RAM - For once, next-gen cards spill out into the reasonable purchases. It seems to clearly beat-out the 6600 in performance, and comes with full SM 3.0 support, as well as 256MB of video RAM. Not bad at all for around $100US.
$115US: Radeon X800GTO, PCI-e with 128MB video RAM - Do not be quite fooled; this is simply a re-branded plain X800. However, it is still a really powerful card for the price, though it has no SM 3.0 support.
$119US: Radeon X1600pro, PCI-e with 256MB video RAM - This card arguably fits into the high-end, slightly beating out the GeForce 6600GT, offering better features, and 256MB of video RAM.
$119US: GeForce 6600GT, PCI-e with 128MB video RAM - A highly popular video card, this card can NO LONGER BE RECOMMENDED; included for reference only. The X1600pro is equal or superior in virtually every way. (the X1600pro or X800 would be a much better choice by now in this range)
$167US: Radeon X1600XT, PCI-e with 256MB video RAM - Though first tests didn't say well for this card, for the current (much reduced) price, it's a powerful card. A good choice to get high-end performance, 256MB of video RAM, and full SM 3.0 support and optimization all at once.
$189US: GeForce 6800GS, PCI-e with 256MB video RAM - Solid high-end performance, and about all the gaming features you could need. Know that there are NO extra pipelines to unlock, but thanks to the die shrink, it can be overclocked fairly well.
$261US: GeForce 7800GT, PCI-e with 256MB video RAM - This is a good deal, and a good bit cheaper than the 7800GTX. However, note that it's not a massive leap over the previous generation of GeForce 6800 and Radeon X850 cards.
$312US: Radeon X1800XL, PCI-e with 256MB video RAM ' Performance-wise, it generally seems to fall slightly below the 7800GT. However, it does have some better feature support; this has better trilinear and anisotropic filtering quality and performance, among other things.
$399US: Radeon X1800XT, PCI-express with 512MB video RAM - A strong all-around performer, its price is certain to drop even further, with its displacement by the X1900 series. Watch this space. Also note that if you go with an OEM version (just the card, no extra parts) you can get it even cheaper.
$423US: GeForce 7800GTX, PCI-e with 256MB video RAM - A top-end card, even if it's gotten pummeled by ATi's next-gen lineup. It's definitely nothing to sneeze at, and can be well worth the price. (cheaper X1800XT cards make this pointless)
$534US: Radeon X1900XT, PCI-e with 512MB video RAM - A noticeable bit cheaper than the X1900XTX, this comes with slightly slower core and RAM clocks, so it may be a more worthwhile choice.
$599US: Radeon X1900XTX, PCI-e with 512MB video RAM - This is actually readily availible, and in shader heavy-games, is stupidly fast; in F.E.A.R., a single one will handily beat even a 7800GTX 512 SLi setup. Oblivion is a shader-heavy game, so this would unquestionably be the most powerful card for that game.
The video card ranking list
Lastly, for those that are really curious as to how good their video card is, I have sketched out a ROUGH outline of how just about any video card in use today stacks up against each other. It's VERY rough, and not guaranteed to be accurate. Also, keep in mind that the amount of video RAM on the board has NO real impact on performance in and of itself; it merely comes into play in determining how well the card will do on certain detail levels. As a general rule, the lower on the list the card comes, the more powerful it is; all cards in one lower list section ARE more powerful than those of the section above it, and generally, the card at the bottom of any given section will be the most powerful, and the least powerful at the top of the section. (this comparison was done fairly loosely after looking at enough benchmarks to make one's eyes hurt, and aren't perfect, obviously) Also, cards that support shader model 3.0 will be listed with underlines. Anyway:
Rock Bottom (these cards do NOT support pixel shaders, and as such, won't run Oblivion)
(Any integrated graphics that's NOT listed elsewhere on here, save for any integrated Radeon or GeForce chips I forgot)
Radeon 7000 & Radeon VE
GeForce 4 MX 4000
GeForce 256
GeForce 2 MX
Radeon 7200 & ATi Radeon
GeForce 2 GTS
GeForce 2 Pro
GeForce 2 Ti
GeForce 2 Ultra
GeForce 4 MX 420
Radeon 7500
GeForce 4 MX 440
Outdated (these cards support shader model 1.x, which will not run the game)
Radeon 9100 IGP (integrated graphics)
Volari V3
Radeon 9250
GeForce 3
Radeon 9000
Radeon 9200
Matrox Parahelia 128
GeForce 3 Ti 200
Radeon 8500 & Radeon 9000pro
Radeon 9100
Radoen 9100pro
GeForce 3 Ti 500
GeForce 4 Ti
Very Low-end (these cards support what's necessary for Oblivion, but are very weak, and will likely provide unsatisfying performance even for modest gamers)
Intel GMA 900 Integrated graphics (chipset 915) (incredibly weak compared to other cards here, but does support SM 2.0)
GeForce FX 5200 & GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (different models have wildly varying performance)
GeForce PCX 5300
GeForce FX 5700LE
GeForce FX 5500
GeForce FX 5600
GeForce FX 5600 Ultra
S3 S8 256
GeForce 6100 IGP (integrated graphics)
Radeon Xpress 200 (integrated graphics)
GeForce FX 5700
GeForce PCX 5750
Radeon X300 HyperMemory
GeForce 6200 TurboCache
Radeon X550 HyperMemory
Radeon X600 HyperMemory
Radeon 9600SE & Radeon X300SE
Radeon 9550
Radeon X550SE
Radeon X300 & Radeon 9600
Low-end (these cards might be considered weak, but they can hold their own, and for most people, should provide a sufficient Oblivion experience)
GeForce 6200
Radeon X550
Radeon X550pro
GeForce 6600LE
Radeon X550XT
GeForce 7300GS
Volari V8 Duo
Radeon X1300HyperMemory
Radeon 9500
GeForce 6500
Volari V5 Ultra
Radeon 9600pro & Radeon X600pro
GeForce FX 5700ultra
Radeon 9600XT & Radeon X600XT
Radeon 9500pro
Mid-Range (these cards were/could've been considered top-end a few years ago, and are fairly powerful, and should be enough to fully enjoy Oblivion)
GeForce FX 5900XT
Radeon X1300 & All-in-Wonder 2006
GeForce FX 5800
S3 Chrome 25
Radeon 9700
GeForce FX 5900
GeForce PCX 5900
Radeon 9800
S3 Chrome 27
GeForce 6600
Radeon X1300pro
Radeon 9700pro
GeForce FX 5800ultra
Volari V8 Duo Ultra
GeForce FX 5900ultra
Radeon 9800pro
Radeon X700
GeForce FX 5950ultra
Radeon X700pro
GeForce 6800LE
GeForce 6800XT
GeForce 6800 (PCI-express version)
GeForce 6600GT
Radeon X800SE
Radeon 9800XT
Radeon X800GT & Radeon X800RX
High-End (some of these cards may be "outdated," but just about any given one is OVERKILL for almost any game out there, and will definitely be able to play Oblivion with all the settings enabled)
Radeon X1600pro
Radeon X800 & Radeon X800GTO 128MB
GeForce 6800 (AGP version)
Radeon X800GTO & Radeon X800GTO² (256MB version for either)
GeForce 7600GT (preliminary ranking; limited information)
Radeon X1600XT
GeForce 6800GS (AGP version)
Radeon X800pro
GeForce 6800GS (PCI-express version)
Radeon X850pro
GeForce 6800GT
Radeon X800XL & Radeon X800GTO 16
GeForce 7800GS (stock clock; 375MHz core)
GeForce 6800ultra
Radeon X800XT
Radeon X850XT
GeForce 7800GS (overclocked version; 400-430MHz core)
Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition
Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition
OMGWTFBBQ! (these cards are outrageous; they are rather expensive, but insanely powerful. Note that I cannot guarantee perfect accuracy of this ranking, but rest assured, all of them are more than overkill for this game)
GeForce 7800GS (superclock version; 460MHz core, 1350MHz memory)
Radeon X1800XL
GeForce 7800GT
GeForce 7800GTX
GeForce 7900GT (preliminary ranking, might be higher)
Radeon X1800XT
GeForce 7800GTX 512
Radeon X1800XT Platinum Edition
Radeon X1900 All-in-Wonder
Radeon X1900XT
Radeon X1900XTX
(Please note that all italicized cards are not truly final yet, and are likely to not be placed with much of a degree of accuracy. As more reliable benchmarks pour in, their ranking will be revised)
Anyway, if your card is on the "rock bottom" list, please, for the love of Akatosh, upgrade it; those cards don't support shaders at all, and don't even run Morrowind at it's fullest!

For those who have cards in the "outdated" list, even if your card might still hold up, you'll still need to upgrade it. It may support pixel shaders, but not SM 2.0.

If your card is in the "low end" list, I can assure you Oblivion WILL run on your system; it's just a matter of what your going to wind up sacrificing, be it a part of quality, resolution, or performance.

If you find your card listed as "mid range," don't sweat it. Things will run FINE, and you'll get plenty enough eye candy to satisfy you. For those that need to upgrade, I'd recommend looking at some of these cards first. These ones will last for at least a short while.

If your card makes it to the lofty heights of the "high-end" list, rejoice! You have monstrous gaming power that will certainly eat up Oblivion quite greedily. Just remember to keep your drool bucket handy.

Lastly, if your card makes it into the "OMGWTFBBQ" list, careful there, steady! You were starting to hyperventilate. Please don't pass out on the forums. And make sure your drool-catching bib is still firmly tied on. You're going to need it when playing.

OMGWTFBBQ settings for me it is then :p

Looking forward to this game, should be a good one. It's out at the end of March isn't it? *saves cash*

I'm liking this bit:

High-End (some of these cards may be "outdated," but just about any given one is OVERKILL for almost any game out there, and will definitely be able to play Oblivion with all the settings enabled)
X800XL here.

:frown:
As it turns out, my PC CANNOT play this game after all. Looking forward to the day I can

I don't know if the the source is right becuase my card does support SM2.0 but it says that it doesn't, and thats why i can't play it. I could probably play it, its going to be painful to sit this one out

I've got my upgrades in place.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Core
OCZ 1GB PC3200 DDR
eVGA 7800GT 256MB Video
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro (and beautiful speakers)
x2 200GB Drives

:smoking:

Bring it on Oblivion, you filthy dirty whore. I'm ready for you, bitch!

Wow. So thorough I am cleaning up my vomit from reading all that damn text. Thanks P43.2/2GB ROFL/X800WTF! :)

MMMM, people that define themselves by their computer hardware. A better personality is just a new video card away.

Anyways, to answer your own question, you simply need to read the system requirements. Since none of us have they game and all of us can read the system requirements, we are all on a equal playing field.

Oblivion will, however, run perfectly on mine when I get the second gig of RAM I've been waiting for.

Ren.182 said:
OMGWTFBBQ settings for me it is then :p

Looking forward to this game, should be a good one. It's out at the end of March isn't it? *saves cash*
Yes March 21,2006 unless they decide to take out the HDR lol

Shamrock said:
Oblivion will, however, run perfectly on mine when I get the second gig of RAM I've been waiting for.
Yes def get another gig just to be on the safe side , i just installed another gig of ram and was a huge performance boost overall well worth it . I spent 157$ free shipping on 2 gigs of ram thats cheap and runs great.

Yeah im also thinkin about bumpin to 2gigs....

P43.2/1Gig/X800P said:
Yes def get another gig just to be on the safe side , i just installed another gig of ram and was a huge performance boost overall well worth it . I spent 157$ free shipping on 2 gigs of ram thats cheap and runs great.
Should I purchase 2 sticks of 1 gig each or 2 sticks of 512 each?

Yes my PC can run it. But why do I care? I'm getting it for Xbox 360.

I think Oblivion will run quite nicely on my system - specs: AMD 64 3400+ (socket 754) | 1GB PC3200 DDR400 OCZ (single stick) | X800XL 256MB GDDR3. I better put in my DVD drive before I buy Oblivion tough. I wish I could run 2GB of RAM on my system but with stupid socked 754 it would end up slowing down to DDR333 if I was to add anymore memory modules, which, most people say, is a drastic drop. Once prices get lower I will consider a 939 mobo and CPU, but right now I think an upgrade is very unnecessary.
Edit: By the way screw xbox 360 :)

Shamrock said:
Should I purchase 2 sticks of 1 gig each or 2 sticks of 512 each?
I did 2 sticks 1 gig each . for better performance do 2 X 1 gig cause i did some tests , if you install 4X 512's its slower performance and its actually faster with just 2X 512 sticks than having 4 X 512 sticks.:)

Spoonoop said:
I think Oblivion will run quite nicely on my system - specs: AMD 64 3400+ (socket 754) | 1GB PC3200 DDR400 OCZ (single stick) | X800XL 256MB GDDR3. I better put in my DVD drive before I buy Oblivion tough. I wish I could run 2GB of RAM on my system but with stupid socked 754 it would end up slowing down to DDR333 if I was to add anymore memory modules, which, most people say, is a drastic drop. Once prices get lower I will consider a 939 mobo and CPU, but right now I think an upgrade is very unnecessary.
Edit: By the way screw xbox 360 :)
Screw Xbox 360?????

nice computer :) ATI FOR THE WIN :)

I have an idea when we have the game those of us with the pc version will post pics at highest settings and those with 360 will also post pics and we will see the difference if any. WHAT YOU THINK?:naughty:

Screw Xbox 360?????
Hehe yeah. I appoligize though, I'm incredibly racist towards consoles.

And yes, go ATI! :thumbs:

And sure why not lets have a PC/Xbox360 face off :cool:

Yeah, in all seriousness, I'm quite confident that my computer will handle it well. X800XT PE, Athlon 64 3400+, 2 gigs DDR400 PC3200, umm... yeah.

JNightshade said:
Yeah, in all seriousness, I'm quite confident that my computer will handle it well. X800XT PE, Athlon 64 3400+, 2 gigs DDR400 PC3200, umm... yeah.
Yeah i think so too:)

A sociologist could write a full paper on someone naming themselves after their computer hardware, and then writing a ten-page report of that computer's contents.

Oblivion could have the graphics from HL1 and I'd still buy it.

It is nice that it looks so good though.....hehe.

I've read it in interviews(Can't be bothered to find'em right now) that to be able to run the game fully maxxed on a high resolution like the 360 with a stable and playable framerate you'll need an X1800 card or better, and that wouldn't surprise me, Oblivion is one beautiful game.:)
As for myself, I'll be getting the 360 version first, and then the PC vers when the GOOD mods have started coming out for it <3

What do I have here... PIV2,8Ghz, 768MB RAM, R9550@~9600pro... well, fulfills the minimum and there's even some Mhz and MB to spare :p

I have:
3800 64 AMD
1gb DDR
6600 PCI 256mb

How will it run? What is the equivelent AMD to a P4 3ghz?

Thanking-you.

Spoonoop said:
Hehe yeah. I appoligize though, I'm incredibly racist towards consoles.
Then wouldn't that be consolist? :rolling:

How will it run? What is the equivelent AMD to a P4 3ghz?
An AMD 64 3000....hell my AMD 3500+ is known to beat P4 3.5ghz.

wilka91 said:
wtf is oblivion? if it's not an fps, don't answer me
Google, motherf*cker, do you use it? :rolleyes:

And no, it's a first- and third-person RPG

Hahaha, Icarus, that's a Pulp Fiction quote, isn't it! Only, nerdified.

Icarusintel said:
Google, motherf*cker, do you use it? :rolleyes:

And no, it's a first- and third-person RPG

You **** my wife? I told you not to answer if it isn't an FPS :cheese:

Oblivion shouldn't have it's own sub-forum, imo.

If it isn't multiplayer, no sub-forum.
But, Maybe you guys have a different idea for the sub-forum than I.

GeForce FX 5200 & GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (different models have wildly varying performance)

Yay :|

What the hell does multiplayer have to do with anything? it's probably the biggest game to hit shelves this year, and most groundbreaking since HL2 introduced physics to mainstream gamers. It deserves it's own tropical island with mountain-top laser, dammit

Groundbreaking?
That's a bit overboard imo, it's basically a refined and improved Daggerfall, with a new AI, graphics and physics engine..
Now, if they made a "remake" of Daggerfall.. THEN we could talk about groundbreaking!!! <3

Back