Doom3=94%, what does this mean for HL2?(review wise)

exactly! We have been given some slight tasters, when the full thing comes i think we shall be blown away. Pondering ratings now is senseless.

They were targetting 40 hours and I think HL2 is probably over that - so there is a hell of a lot we haven't seen. I'm not worried.

To actually answer the question posed by the thread starter, I'd say that they might be a little harder on HL2. I think HL2 has got a big bullseye on it, due to the release slip and the fact that it has the biggest following. The other games, or the fans at least, seem to be almost jealous of the attention HL2 is getting.

Unfairly, I think HL2 might have to go further than the others to get the same score.

crownest said:
PC Gamer gave the orginal Half Life a 97% rating. So i think Half Life 2 should get around 96% - 98%

Even if it sucks :eek: Please don't make so high expectations. Half-Life was something very different. HL2 is a sequel and cannot be ground breaking as the original.

Naveed said:
Even if it sucks :eek: Please don't make so high expectations. Half-Life was something very different. HL2 is a sequel and cannot be ground breaking as the original.

+
HL was on of the first games with continuous leveldesign (unreal).

Some people will fall down very hard when they think hl2 will get 98% or 100% etc.... :rolleyes:

lol, hl will always be better than hl2. has anyone ever played a sequel to a game, or watched a movie sequel, that was better than the original????

we cant even say that we' wont be dissapointed when we play it either because we have no idea what the game FEELS like let alone looks like. all the evidence we have is through 30min videos of different areas, and screenshots. thats it, end of story.

and if hl2 doesnt release this year...valve will be covering themselves with whatever they can find as protection from all of us.

Pureball said:
lol, hl will always be better than hl2. has anyone ever played a sequel to a game, or watched a movie sequel, that was better than the original????
Can of worms right there.

Warcraft 2 was better than Warcraft 1
Diablo 2 was better than Diablo 1
TTT was better than FOTR
The Empire Strikes back was better than A New Hope
Jedi Knight was better than Dark Forces
Many many more....

*all my opinion*

The fact is yes i've played and watched sequels to games/movies that i've enjoyed more than the originals.

Lets not jinx it for HL2, I think they will give it a good high score. Don't hate on Doom 3 unlessed you played it and then you can say what you want about it. HL2 looks grate and from what I have heard from people who played it E3 and playtest it say its grate so we will all see hopefully soon in September. :borg:

I dont want some over-wieght chinese guy telling me how good the game is... Ill figuer that one out for myself.

Well i still have high expectations that hl2 will get around a 98, plus just cause its a sequal to hl doesnt make it worse automatically, like Mr-Fusion stated. I never actually bought the first hl when it came out but have since and its ok but hl2 just delivers (or will from what we know) so much more, i have complete confidense in hl2

It's ludicrous to say HL2 wont be as good as HL1. I'm playing HL1 now and its not the same anymore. I love the game but compared to other games now, it just doesn't blow me away. I don't have the 'wow' feeling or anything close to it. When playing HL2, I can guarentee that I will say "wow, this is cool" at least 5 times.

Plus sequels are often cheap rehashes to make a quick buck. Given that HL2 has been in production for probably twice as long as the original I wouldn't put in that same category.

On paper, HL2 offers a lot more then Doom 3 in terms of gameplay and variety so if Doom 3 can get 94% for 10 year old gameplay with modern graphics, then what score can a sophisticated game with equal graphics get? My personal opinion is that HL2 will get the same score as the original just to keep the consistancy. Half-life raised the bar so high in its day and HL2 will do exactly the same.

Anyways,,, HL2 can never beat HL1 sorry,,, but it's certainly gonna beat d3,cmon now, the doom series were cool back in the days AI didnot exist and midi files were the norm but now,,, things changed and doom 3 is like a walking dead, shooo go back to your 486 grave!!!

what i meant was that hl1 was completely original. in that respect, hl2 will never beat it. gameplay, graphics and physics etc obviously makes it a better game, but for originality, hl1 owns.

actually who gives a shit lol. hl2 is gonna rock ass and blow us all away. nuff said.

I wonder if any of the guys who have visited Valve and played the game. Would have a stab at rating it based on what have seen.

Do you think that HL2 will sell better than the original? 8 million copies(right?).

PC Gamer will more than likely give it the same as the original. They are just as big of fan boys as us, seems like every issue has a HL2 article.

tommie said:

If it's true - then yay!

Most of you are under estimating Doom 3 by saying it will have "10 year old gameplay".

Doom 3's gameplay will be like half-life. You'll have stupid A.I. enemies like the zombies (headcrab zombies in HL), there will be atmsophere, fear and a lot of tension and scripted shocking events (like in HL). Ther will be smart A.I too, the Z-sec will act like marines in HL.

hegele said:
PC Gamer will more than likely give it the same as the original. They are just as big of fan boys as us, seems like every issue has a HL2 article.

True, thay have waited a looong time for this game, just as we have. I think that they will give it 94-98.

I can't find the news of Doom3 going gold anywhere else besides shacknews : [

Personally i love both games, its so cool to see the old favs doom and hl in their updated state. Just goes to show how much the game industry has grown

Well, i think HL2 will get 95 or 96 %. But not higher then that :) Im looking forward to both DooM3 and HL2. But first i need to get my hands on Far Cry!

Who says HL2 won't be revolutionary? Only a few people have got their hands on it and they haven't played much of it. Those who have played the stolen build saw pretty much sod all. It's too early to judge exactly how much it can offer, but from we know already, it already offers a lot more in terms of evolving the genre then HL did.

I'm sorry but HL1 will be surpassed by HL2 in every way.

I would say 90+ range (obviously) if HL2 can live up to its hype, or at least live up to what we think we saw at E3 this year and last.

If it's better than that, more improved compared to the beta, than maybe 93-98 I say.

hl2 will get 96% i think, because of its past success and its probably going to be the best slelling game and the most played, and its just awesome cause its a sequelof the 6 year ago amazing hl1.

Darkknighttt said:
hl2 will get 96% i think, because of its past success and its probably going to be the best slelling game and the most played, and its just awesome cause its a sequelof the 6 year ago amazing hl1.

I think HL2 will be a truely amazing title, and even score more than HL1, even though it is 98%

IMO it deserves a %100 but im guessing they will give it a %98. what if someone made a poll on this and we all bet what the score will be, and whoever gets it right wins a cookie :)

Yeah I remember heaps of reviews of HL1 that gave it 98%. I've got no doubt that HL2 will be far superior for it's time than HL1 though. So I'm expecting perfect scores to pop up here and there.

CB | Para said:
I can't find the news of Doom3 going gold anywhere else besides shacknews : [

Bluesnews, Slashdot, Planetdoom, etc etc.

I think DOOM3 got a great score because of it's setting and what it was compared to DOOM 1. id wanted to make you pee your pants, I think it worked so they gave it 94%.

HL2 is in a whole different perspective, they'll be looking at it from the Half-Life 1 angle, not what it is against DOOM3 because they're totally different. One is a shoot 'em up, one is a story-driven movie shooter. Not that any is better, Painkiller was a relief to me I thought I'd never see a shooter like that again :D

Im not sure if someone has done this already but for those of you that think this review is bogus i just got that issue of pc gamer in today and its real im gonna try and get scans of the article to anyone interested in reading it if i get time between studying just PM me however i will tell you that there are spoilers in the article....again guys let me know if this has been done already sorry Im really to busy to look! :cheers:

I think PC Gamer is very crazy.
No real reason.
I was surprised when PC gamer suggested an ATI card when I am told Nvidia cards run it better?

I just wanna say one thing

DOOM 3 IS NOT A RUN AND GUN GAME, YOU NITWITS!!!

Its more like System Shock 2 meets Doom
Ok? Ok? The gameplay isnt the same as the first, its totally different. STOP SAYING THAT. Sheesh

I'm sorry i'm just dumbfounded by the people who say D3 is gonna be sh*t when they have just proven with that kinda statement that they know nothing about it.
This isn't related to anyone one person in particular. I'm just saying.

Anyway, MACHINE i'd love to see some scans of that issue

Darkknighttt said:

Can you get anymore naiv?? No one knows what hl2 will get.. Maybe 96%, or maybe only 75%.. Just stop making such childish statements... I think Hl2 should've been released earlier to be the successor it claims to be... at least imo..

Phil

the german mags are rating much harder! i think the highest score i've ever seen in one of the best german mags(gamestar) was 93%..!

Darkknighttt said:

And Doom 3 is a remake sequel to a 10+ year old game, does that make it better? no.

Just because a sequel to game comes much later doesn't mean it has to be good - look at Deus ex: IW, crap compared to it's 4-year old predecessor. Deus ex is one of the "most amazing games" too, but that doesn't mean it's sequel has to be the next best thing. In fact it wasn't, so there you go - you've been proven wrong.

Sauerkraut said:
the german mags are rating much harder! i think the highest score i've ever seen in one of the best german mags(gamestar) was 93%..!

Umm, what's wrong with you guys? 93% is bad? please your acting as though Doom 3 couldn't get anything lower than 100%. Anything above 85% is a top notch game - regardless of how many years in production. I'm telling this so, because most of the people on this forum are in floaty dreams of HL2 getting something as high as it's predecessor - wake up! it's not going to happen. Hl2 can't hardly out do it's predecessor as what it has got to offer is almost in every new game nowadays anyway, and it'll probably get something in the low nineties and people will start whining why it got such a low scrore...

Results of the 'who will go gold first' competition were confirmed when an unobvious padded envelope turned up in Valve's post tray this morning...

Back