Dorm Life

FoxDie

Reaction score
So I'm starting college in a few weeks, and long story short, I'm stuck staying in a dorm room the first year. Definitely a step down from an apartment. You share a tiny room with barely enough room for you, your roommate (mine was randomly assigned,) and a fridge. Halls share bathrooms, so you have to walk down the hall to take showers and shave, etc. Has anybody here stayed in one? Any advice, horror stories, or condolences?

lol, I've been living in dorms for the past 6 years....they can really be a lot of fun. You just gotta be careful with your 'me' time. Try and be nice to everybody, including your roommate (no matter how big a loser he may be) because you'll never know when you need $0.50 to wash your clothes or something.

Basically, just try and be respectful, it'll make the whole thing go by so much easier. If you get a call and your roommate is trying to sleep, just walk out of the room. If you wake up before your roommate does, you don't have to turn the overhead light on, you can just open the door and use the hall light. Even though you live together, ask before you touch any of his stuff. Buy some headphones.

I'm in an apartment. All my roommates are friends and we actually work at the same place too. It would be hard to share a room I think with a total stranger.

I was in Halls. Dorms sounds horrible, unless your room mate is hot of course.

No real horror stories. It was all good drunken fun.

Well Ill be heading to halls this year for uni, you get your own room but I think you have to share a bathroom between a hallway, although there are ones that give you your own bathroom in your room D:

Should be class, since its a top uni im going to so most likely wont be any dickheads there, not to mention quite a few of my mates from college are going their too, and if there are hot birds their too, its win win WIN!

I'm heading to halls this september too. My own room, and 5 others I think. With one kitchen and two bathrooms. Should be a laugh hopefully :)

Someone post some fun experiences and tips :)

What uni you going to Shift? Going to Staffordshire myself :)

Dorms were fun. Especially when you have parties and somehow manage to squeeze 40 people into that one room.

lol, I've been living in dorms for the past 6 years....they can really be a lot of fun. You just gotta be careful with your 'me' time. Try and be nice to everybody, including your roommate (no matter how big a loser he may be) because you'll never know when you need $0.50 to wash your clothes or something.

Basically, just try and be respectful, it'll make the whole thing go by so much easier. If you get a call and your roommate is trying to sleep, just walk out of the room. If you wake up before your roommate does, you don't have to turn the overhead light on, you can just open the door and use the hall light. Even though you live together, ask before you touch any of his stuff. Buy some headphones.
Wow man 6 years is a while! I'm surprised you haven't moved into an apartment after all that time, I guess it can't be so bad :thumbs: You're only really in the dorm for eight months anyway, I'm sure I'll learn something from it.

What are these "halls" you UK'ers keep talking about :p?

I'm off to uni in September also, will be living on campus in some newly built student high-rise buildings for the first year and my room comes with en-suite :D 6 rooms per floor, with the kitchen and living areas being shared between the 6 of us... looking forward to it!

wooo I'm off to Uni in Seppy too! Off to Glamorgan staying in an En-suite room (so toilet 'n' shit in the room). It's gonna be ****ing ace.

Lock the stuff you don't want touched up. Make your roommate realize that there are certain things of yours that he's not to share with his friends.

Beware the dorm bathrooms.

Dorms are basically cesspools of immaturity. If that is your thing I'm sure you'll have fun. Personally I didn't care much for it.

Dorms basically suck compared to any non-homeless environment. Luckily enough for me my roomate is a friend from high school which was enough excuse for both of us to be assholes and still know that we're cool with it. Holy sh17 hall bathroom; we didn't have it that bad.

Dorms are basically cesspools of immaturity. If that is your thing I'm sure you'll have fun. Personally I didn't care much for it.

While I hate sounding like I have a stick up my ass, I agree with this.

I'm all for having a laugh and messing about, but I really do not care for the dorm atmosphere. At any given time of the day, there is some loud, obnoxious twit doing something positively grating. The parties were filled with juvenile meatheads complete with obligatory beer bongs and the ditchweed they dared to call marijuana. "DUDE, WE'RE GONNA GET SO KEGGED TONIGHT." "SHIT YEAH, I GOTTA GET SOME PUSSY FROM SOME PASSED OUT BITCH." "WORD, DUDE." "HEY MAN, LET'S GO DRIVING AFTER GETTING TRASHED." Maybe this is considered normal behavior and I have some bad socializing skills (which I do lawl), but I want nothing to do with it.

Also doesn't help when you have a morbidly obese retard as a roommate that jerks off while he thinks you're asleep.

Dorms basically suck compared to any non-homeless environment. Luckily enough for me my roomate is a friend from high school which was enough excuse for both of us to be assholes and still know that we're cool with it. Holy sh17 hall bathroom; we didn't have it that bad.

I'm all for having a laugh and messing about, but I really do not care for the dorm atmosphere. At any given time of the day, there is some loud, obnoxious twit doing something positively grating. The parties were filled with juvenile meatheads complete with obligatory beer bongs and the ditchweed they dared to call marijuana. "DUDE, WE'RE GONNA GET SO KEGGED TONIGHT." "SHIT YEAH, I GOTTA GET SOME PUSSY FROM SOME PASSED OUT BITCH." "WORD, DUDE." "HEY MAN, LET'S GO DRIVING AFTER GETTING TRASHED." Maybe this is considered normal behavior and I have some bad socializing skills (which I do lawl), but I want nothing to do with it.

Also doesn't help when you have a morbidly obese retard as a roommate that jerks off while he thinks you're asleep.
Lol thanks guys, now I'm dreading it again :(

I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Lol thanks guys, now I'm dreading it again :(

I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

im movin into a dorm my freshmen year soon too, august 22nd.

should be an interesting experience...

Did you get in contact with your roommate at all yet?

Put some superglue on his hand while he's sleeping, and then put some naked pictures of girls infront of him so when he wakes up and your gone, he'll do his thing.

Or just make sure he eats (Read HANDLE) a lot of hot peppers before you go to sleep.

oh yeah, and there's a lot of gay sex in dorms, and more if you get into a frat house

im movin into a dorm my freshmen year soon too, august 22nd.

should be an interesting experience...

Did you get in contact with your roommate at all yet?
No I haven't contacted mine yet, all they give you is your roommate's university e-mail address, and nobody uses those yet :p

Do you know your roommate or were you randomly assigned like I was?

I'll be moving into my dorm on August 24th. Luckily, one of my best friends is my roommate because we applied early and sent our applications together. A few of our other friends are also attending the same college.

My friend is kind of lazy, and we're both doing Air Force ROTC, so I get the feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of my time trying to drag him out of his bed to go to our morning physical training classes. But I'm still pretty excited.

So I'm starting college in a few weeks, and long story short, I'm stuck staying in a dorm room the first year. Definitely a step down from an apartment. You share a tiny room with barely enough room for you, your roommate (mine was randomly assigned,) and a fridge. Halls share bathrooms, so you have to walk down the hall to take showers and shave, etc. Has anybody here stayed in one? Any advice, horror stories, or condolences?

I've been in a dorm for 5 months now.

Thank god for summer vacation.

8 people share the same room, and it would be more correct to call it a barracks than a dorm, what with all the lack of space and the dormitory directors doing roll call and "physical education".

Oh, if there is a bunk bed, try and get the top bunk.

:thumbs:

Dorms... as long as you don't get a klepto roommate or one that is annoying (and messy/lazy), it should be ok. I've had both, and known people with bad roommate stories. Although I admit, I wasn't a very good roommate (too much homework = crazy weird sleeping schedule).

As for the small rooms, it's not much of a problem unless you are really messy or bring too much crap.

I've lived in dorms for 2 years, going on my third, will probably try to either move out or get a room by myself for my last year.

Eugh. I could probably put up with the drunk assholes. But ewww, can't be doing with the obese guy jerking off. Feel sorry for you.
Thankfully I wont be sharing a room with anyone unless they're a guest of mine.

My first year and a half of college I stayed at my parents house and commuted because I knew the dorms would piss me off. I was right. I hung out a few times at a friends dorm room, and those shits are as big as my apartments bathroom. There were always obnoxious assholes hanging in the hallways and even walking into the room as if we knew them. I did not like that at all.

Now im in a new uni in Florida that doesnt even offer housing, so I got an apartment with one roomate. Its ****ing nice. Big living room, decent sized kitchen, two average sized rooms and a shared bathroom. I took a huge risk though with my roomate. He was just some guy I met on teh internets in a irc chat. Somehow found out we were going to the same school for the same program at the same time. It turned out awesome though, because are good friends now.

**** yeah!

I was in halls for my first year of uni, and it was absolutely amazing.

All sorts of drunken shagging, fun and general mayhem :)

I miss it somewhat :p
Met some awesome mates through it as well.
Some of the best times of my life were had in that flat just dicking around :D

No I haven't contacted mine yet, all they give you is your opponent's university e-mail address, and nobody uses those yet :p
Is it considered a bad omen that I read your post as that?

And damn I feel bad for you uni guys who have to share a room. Ours are all one guy per room, then like 4 rooms to a floor with shared kitchen etc. Yours sounds more like Army camp.

I'm heading to halls this september too. My own room, and 5 others I think. With one kitchen and two bathrooms. Should be a laugh hopefully :)

Someone post some fun experiences and tips :)

What uni you going to Shift? Going to Staffordshire myself :)

University of Manchester hopefully, computer engineering but depends on my A-Levels, may have to go to Manchester Metropolitan instead, in which Ill be staying home and commuting, since I heard the dorms there are shit.

Dorms do contain fun times, my sis said it was absultely awsome when she went to stay there are Manchester, time will tell.

My first year and a half of college I stayed at my parents house and commuted because I knew the dorms would piss me off. I was right. I hung out a few times at a friends dorm room, and those shits are as big as my apartments bathroom. There were always obnoxious assholes hanging in the hallways and even walking into the room as if we knew them. I did not like that at all.

Now im in a new uni in Florida that doesnt even offer housing, so I got an apartment with one roomate. Its ****ing nice. Big living room, decent sized kitchen, two average sized rooms and a shared bathroom. I took a huge risk though with my roomate. He was just some guy I met on teh internets in a irc chat. Somehow found out we were going to the same school for the same program at the same time. It turned out awesome though, because are good friends now.

**** yeah!

Seems like you got quite lucky.

Is it considered a bad omen that I read your post as that?

And damn I feel bad for you uni guys who have to share a room. Ours are all one guy per room, then like 4 rooms to a floor with shared kitchen etc. Yours sounds more like Army camp.
Yeah probably not a good sign :p

Sounds like you guys have it pretty nice though, I'm jealous!

randomly assigned, but he gave me his AIM name when i emailed him. so ive talked to him a lil.

I could never live in a small dormroom, I need my space! Me and 2 of my friends where talking about getting a 110kvm (1183.6sq.ft) student apartment to share, but some stuff came up and it didnt happen. It would be cool though.

This is so true. I lived in a dorm for my first two years at the university I go to. It was fun, but I'd never want to do it again. I've rented a house with some people for the next year.

I wish I could have my own dorm room after my experience at my orientation.

*The first night after I turned off the lights, a few moments later I hear fapping noises on the other side of the room. No sleep. D:*
*The second night, the rest of the entire floor decided to play Guitar Hero in the common room...until 4 AM(when we had to get up @ 8 AM). No sleep*

I can't pronounce my room mate's name, and since it sounds like "Voldermort", I'm calling him that.

Thank the gods I asked for the 24 hour quiet floor. D:

Edit: The school has a 4 to 1 Girl to Guy ratio, but even then there are hardly any attractive females from what I've seen. And no other guys from my school are going there. D:

This is so true. I lived in a dorm for my first two years at the university I go to. It was fun, but I'd never want to do it again. I've rented a house with some people for the next year.
I'm hoping I get to do that after my upcoming (actually 2nd) year. Already have a few pals but they transferred to my uni a bit too late for that to happen this time around :angry:

I got lucky my freshman year. My roommate was one of those heavily active in the school prep types and was never around. By the start of spring semester he had joined a frat and moved out, so I had the room to myself for an entire semester. I had a couple of roommates for sophomore year (transfered to another school) and they were alright. Dorm life can't beat an apartment though.

stayed in one for about a week while taking a program thingy at a college. Wake up early before everyone else does to do your shower buisness.

Just avoid the times everyone else takes showers.

I wish I could have my own dorm room after my experience at my orientation.

*The first night after I turned off the lights, a few moments later I hear fapping noises on the other side of the room. No sleep. D:*
*The second night, the rest of the entire floor decided to play Guitar Hero in the common room...until 4 AM(when we had to get up @ 8 AM). No sleep*

I can't pronounce my room mate's name, and since it sounds like "Voldermort", I'm calling him that.

Thank the gods I asked for the 24 hour quiet floor. D:

Edit: The school has a 4 to 1 Girl to Guy ratio, but even then there are hardly any attractive females from what I've seen. And no other guys from my school are going there. D:

Eek. My orientation was awesome D:

Back