Breen - Dead or Alive?

• Dead

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Alive (Host body)

Votes: 57 64.8%

• Total voters

Asknoone

Reaction score
The Dark fusion reactor explosion took out the entire tip of the Citadel, ripping through the upper levels and leaving a vast energy storm in it's place. Gordon escaped due to Gmans intervention, Alyx due to the Vorts, and Eli and Mossman got away in one of Breens escape pods. But what about Breen himself? It was said before hand that we'd get closure on his fate, but the answer is far, far from clear.

In the pod chamber were shown the recording of Breens message to the Advisor, where it is said he'd need a host body in order to survive in the world beyond. Reluctantly, he agrees. A second later an escape pod is jetisoned under the floor and we can see a wriggling Advisor within. Breens host body? Whilst the scene points to it as a possibility, I really cannot see how Breen would have escaped the reactor chamber.

First, once the portal exploded his bubble lost power and drifted back down the chute. It didn't fall particularly hard, gently coming to a stop at the bottom. Then all manner of Dark energy spews from the de-stabilized reactor into a huge-ass explosion and wipes the tip of the Citadel clean off the map. We know how the rest got out, but lets face it - there is no way Breen could have escaped. His last words were "You need me!". He was either alluding to humanity as a whole, or to the Combine - almost pleading with them to rescue him from the chamber. Maybe? I'm not sure...what could they have done?
Considering he needed a host body, was it supposed to happen when he arrived? If the idea behind the bubble was to protect him until he was transferred over then he couldn't have possibly done so within the Citadel. What would he do, flick a switch and magically disappear into his host body? I doubt it...

Bleh! I really don't know. Alot of what I loved about Breen was that he was human. He expressed human qualities, and even though he was both selfish and arrogant, he still possessed feelings toward Eli, and was fully aware of what he was about to do (shown in his facial expression as the pods ascend). I think being in an Advisor host body would be abit craptastic for his character. I could be wrong, but if Breen were to have survived in some way I'd want him back as human as possible. Alyx is pretty certain he's dead too...

I think he was killed in the reactor explosion.

I think he's dead too, from the explosion, but saying that i saw him on the train the other day going to Camden, so i'm pretty confused.

Yeah, I was pretty adamant he'd survived before EP1 was released. :p

I reckon he's dead. His bubble wouldn't protect him from such dark energy. He couldn''t have escaped in time, and while it is only a small section of the Citadel, the top is still a large amount of space.
Beside's, it would be kinda cheesy for him to become an Advisor.

I'm leaning towards him being dead, but I don't want him to be.

If he did actually die, then I wish Valve made it more clear.

Sure, Breen is interesting as a character, but it would be really lame if he returned after that explosion just because players thought he was a good villain. Let Breen stay dead and give us another "great enemy" to fight.

Just because Breen is (if) dead, who is to say we have seen the last of him? Perhaps during one of Gordon's future ventures, he will come across a lost recording of Breen or such.

Hmm, I really don't know if Breen is dead or not. The lack of any information at all about his death is somewhat eerie during EP1. But in any case, I think the "Advisor" will replace Breen as the "everywhere villian" during the Episodes 1-3.

I hope Breen is still Alive, His proper Grammar which I admire alot. His Thirst for knowledge, and most of all an enemy that is'nt all that evil.

"Whilst the scene points to it as a possibility, I really cannot see how Breen would have escaped the reactor chamber."

"I think he's dead too, from the explosion"

"His bubble wouldn't protect him from such dark energy. He couldn''t have escaped in time"

Let's totally forget how Gordon and Alyx escaped the Dark Fusion Reactor. I mean... it is not like Breen was making comments that relate to GMan. Anything could've happened, similar to GMan/Gordon situation. I say he is alive.

Unless someone saved him as the vortigaunts saved Alyx and Gordon I'm pretty sure he's dead.

TheGMan. said:
Let's totally forget how Gordon and Alyx escaped the Dark Fusion Reactor. I mean... it is not like Breen was making comments that relate to GMan. Anything could've happened, similar to GMan/Gordon situation. I say he is alive.

You have a point.
Theres really no way of finding out at the moment, but it feels like he is destroyed,although the transfered-to-hostbody-theory gave me some other fascinating thoughts. But is it plausible?

I hope Breen survived in some (plausible) way. But it wouldn’t have been easy.

I just hope he didn’t became an Advisor.

Dead

Just a feeling and what we saw in ep1.

Host Body (although I wouldn't be surprised if he is dead).

host body (maybe g-man altered his perception of time as well he did on gordon??????)

I hope that if Breen returns from the grave, he somehow manages to do it well, with none of this "MUAHAHAHAHA! I'M NOT DEAD! NOW YOU SEE MY TRUE FORM!" stuff... :D

Also, it'd be a totally awesome twist if he turned out to be the main character of Portal, you know?

I hope he is dead. he's the first thing you see when you get off the train, and he's the last thing you see before the big-a** explosion. It would just neatly round of HL2. Though I have a feeling he'll be back.

I hope that if Breen returns from the grave, he somehow manages to do it well, with none of this "MUAHAHAHAHA! I'M NOT DEAD! NOW YOU SEE MY TRUE FORM!" stuff...

Also, it'd be a totally awesome twist if he turned out to be the main character of Portal, you know?

LOL MECHA BREEN!!!

Maybe he was turned into something Nihilanth-like? Well, I doubt he's alive.

I really don't think Valve would replay that video from Breen, especially so near the Advisor pods without it meaning something more than the Advisor on screen at the end of HL2 is now in the pod you see below you.

Here's the summarized theories that were discussed in this previous thread around Episode 1's release:

A True Canadian said:
In reading this thread, these are the theories so far:

1. Breen teleported into his host body moments before the explosion and is the one in the pod that appears after Alyx plays the recording on the monitor.

2. Breen's "bubble" protected him from the explosion, but still caused severe damage to his body to the point where he had to move to one of the host bodies (being stored in the Citadel basement above the core) in order to survive.

3. Breen died in the explosion at the top of the Citadel (torn apart by deadly particles yet to be named by human science).

4. Breen successfully teleported to the Combine homeworld to be placed in a host body upon his arrival.

5. The Vortigaunts removed Breen from the explosion and he is in his human body somewhere outside of City 17 (like Kleiner, Eli, Mossman, etc.).

6. The Advisors in the Citadel basement telepathically removed Breen from the explosion to safety and either forced him to move into a host body, or left him free to remain in his human form.

7. The reactor's meltdown left Breen vulnerable for the G-Man or his employers to take him away and put him into stasis.

8. The teleportation barely succeeded but teleported Breen to a different plane of existence where he is trapped for all eternity.

OK I added that last one to make the list an even 8. Hmm, they seem to get more and more unrealistic as the list goes on. :)

I fear this uncertainty over Breen's death is going to mirror that of Adrian Shephard. Many will think he's alive, many will think he's dead, but we'll probably never find out.

2, 4, 5 and 7 can be crossed out, because I sincerely doubt either of these could, or did happen.

I think he's dead. The repeat video is shown. The advisor that is escaping is clearly the one that breen is talking to, not breen.

I'm not sure, but I want him to be alive, so I voted so. He's just such a great villian.

Someone email Valve/Gabe/Laidlaw etc. (I would do it but I never get any responses)

Didn't anyone else feel that Breen was very conspicuous in his absence during Episode One?
From the continued presence of those public announcement TVs, to the old posters with Breen's portrait on... His shadow was still everywhere in City 17. Even without appearing in-game, Breen is still an ominous presence in the HL2 universe. IMO there's no way Valve's story writers will fail to capitalise on that.

And as Midnight Cowboy mentioned, Valve explicitly reminds us about the 'host body' thing in Episode One, just in case we missed it the first time.
They clearly don't want us to forget about Breen just yet.

if he didnt escape in the pod, wouldnt the gman save him like he did gordon? breen was working for the gman back in black mesa. he was one of gmans pet projects, leading him all the way to administrator of earth. doubt gman would let all that work go to waste.

We don't know of Breen at all in HL1. We do learn he is the Administrator of Black Mesa in Hl2 though, but we don't know much about his relationship with the G-Man. Are we still without fact from Laidlaw?

this poll needs a third option: alive (not in a host body, just chillin' in his stylish brown suit)

It just seems to easy and anti-climatic the way he died on HL2 so i really hope he survives cause he is such a cool villian. But i don't think he would be in a host body.

I think he's dead. :x

He was my favorite character in Half-Life 2, along with the G-Man.
It seems neither of them will be appearing Episode Two. :(

I really don't see how he could have survived. I pictured him teleporting into a host body when he ARRIVED at the Combine Homeworld. How could he have teleporting into one in Half-Life 2? He was at the top of the Citadel, and the Combine don't have local teleportation, right? I don't see any way how he could have survived.
Unless G-Man rescued him? ("Well well welll, I have lost my other slave, so now I need you!") The vortigaunts? ("The Eli Vance wants you as a captive!")
As Samon said, they're very unlikely theories.

Could have the Advisors mentally pulled his consiousness from his body and put it in one of their own? ("AAAAURGGGGHHHHHHHH MY SOUL!!1111!")

I still think he's dead.

I feel like the combine's got some shit up their sleeve. I really think he is the half life 2 episode - 1 and episode - 2 advisers as well, as he hates Eli, and Eli got... ya know... and he also tries to murder gordon and Alyx... so ya know... HE IS ADVISOR

Back