E3 2011

Wii U is indeed the worst name ever but the controller is interesting. I just hope it's actually comfortable to hold and use. Also mentions here the writer using a tablet to play a game with a bunch of other people using remotes, so it looks like the remotes being forward compatible with the new console is true. I wonder will it retail the ability to play Wii and Gamecube games? That'd be pretty awesome.

I dunno, I can't see a bulky thing like that getting used effectively like a motion controller, but I also didn't watch the keynote.

I dunno, I can't see a bulky thing like that getting used effectively like a motion controller, but I also didn't watch the keynote.

The keynote wasn't much help. People were either talking through each other (Miyamoto and his interpretor), talking Engrish (Iwata) or being completely uninteresting and somewhat creepy (Reggie Fils-Aime).

Wait...you need to own a Wii?

EDIT: The console is a box that fits into the back.

No no no, it's an entirely new console:

eaN3V.jpg

What is known so far:

Launches: 2012

Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance Board™.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

GPU: Based on ATI's R700 (HD 4800 series)

Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories. (Taken from the Nintendo E3 2011 Press Release)

Games announced: Smash Brothers, Battlefield 3(?), Batman: Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon, Darksiders II, Dirt, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Metro: Last Night, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden 3, FIFA 12, Driver

I would expect it to be slightly more powerful than the PS3, but probably not by much. Hardware is not the main draw to this system, as was the case with the Wii.

BF3 has been confirmed by John Riticello himself during the Nintendo press conference.

It's interesting how Nintendo and Sony with the WiiU and Vita are stating how their systems will blur the lines between gaming and reality, I wonder what will come next?

Aliens: Colonial Marines.
With the motion tracker on the new controller screen.

I'm sold.

So... what happens next? I hadn't prepared for this, truth be told, and I don't think there are any more press conferences coming up. Where should I go to watch the rest of E3?

And Gargan, I appreciate it.

So... what happens next? I hadn't prepared for this, truth be told, and I don't think there are any more press conferences coming up. Where should I go to watch the rest of E3?

Live BF3 mp demo in about 5 minutes here.

http://battlefieldo.com/

Also, the live shows on GTTV, GiantBomb, Gamespot, etc.

Starhawk looked interesting, too bad it's PS3 exclusive...

I have high hopes for Starhawk, Warhawk is still one of the best PS3 multiplayer games IMO despite being 4 years old

Cliff Bleszinski shows up at the GT interview wearing a Justin Bieber shirt...

Obvious troll is obvious...

Has there been any XCOM news, or is there a information embargo like last year?

So I accidentally slept through the Nintendo Conference. Wii U is a ****ing terrible name, the controller looks might uncomfortable and impractical. On the other hand, that Zelda tech demo. BRB preordering.

Has anyone mentioned the 4 swords zelda game for the gamecube? Totally reminds me of that. You could hook up your GBAs to the system with these adapters, and certain parts of the game required you to look down at your gba screen. Was fun with other people.

Cliff Bleszinski shows up at the GT interview wearing a Justin Bieber shirt...

Obvious troll is obvious...

Didn't see this because I'm a bit out of sorts with gaming news atm, but lol

Has anyone mentioned the 4 swords zelda game for the gamecube? Totally reminds me of that. You could hook up your GBAs to the system with these adapters, and certain parts of the game required you to look down at your gba screen. Was fun with other people.

That was actually quite a lot of fun. The issue here is that the controller looks mighty expensive (actually not that the GBA thing wasn't). I've heard that most multiplayer games might have one player using the controller, and the rest using Wiimotes as the console might only have the capacity to output to one controller.

EDIT: But god damn, that thing just looks too damn bulky and uncomfortable. I imagine they'll release a Lite version of it before long.

Just saw the E3 presentation, now I can safely say that Nintendo is going to drown this console in shovelware just like the other one was. Theyre also going to "wii-use" every franchise with limited use of these features.

So this is babys first Ipad? Also lold at Reggie saying Nintendo blazed the way for touch screens as well as tablets not being influenced by Apple, in fact it is obvious that the entirety of the board meeting was put "Ipad on TV"

New Zelda looks good so far with decent action

Aliens: Colonial Marines.
With the motion tracker on the new controller screen.

I'm sold.
My god. I want it. I want it so bad.

Playing in the dark, ominous beeping emanating from the controller, increasing in frequency as a horde of blips swarms quickly towards me on the glowing radar screen before half a dozen aliens explode into view on the TV in front of me and I begin firing wildly.... YES ****ING PLEASE.

They really should have been more upfront about that, but I really doubt the games will look worse on the 'U, so it's kind of a wash.

My god. I want it. I want it so bad.

Playing in the dark, ominous beeping emanating from the controller, increasing in frequency as a horde of blips swarms quickly towards me on the glowing radar screen before half a dozen aliens explode into view on the TV in front of me and I begin firing wildly.... YES ****ING PLEASE.

You forgot, your co-op partner snapping and screaming "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!"

Back