The E3 2012 Thread: Hopes and Dreads

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
[News] As I write this, I have just been informed that Nintendo has a surprise Pre-E3 event scheduled for 15:00 Pacific Time

So E3 is upon us. With just 29.5 hours till E3 officially kicks off with Microsoft's Conference, what have you got hope for at this years show and do you have any dreads?

I for one hope to see what 3rd party games will be coming out for the Wii U and to see more of XCOM: Enemy Unknown (I've been playing some Xenonauts recently) and remember playing the original game.

However the one thing I dread the most is the Microsoft Conference, given how aweful they have been in the past few years, especially the kinects. Ironically the Kinects might be a selling point for certain Genres to leak back onto the console market. Playing TBS and RTS with a Controllerless Interface for one. But they still stick to bad Gimmicky products.

Schedule

Watch Live Streams on Gametrailers

Watch Live Streams on Gamespot

Watch Live Streams on Youtube

Also has anybody from the community managed to get access to the show?

I'm really only interested in the Wii U and the Steam big screen UI.

Awkward motion-control demonstrations featuring men and women in restrictive business attire pretending to surf and dance are the highlight of every E3 stage conference.

Awkward motion-control demonstrations featuring men and women in restrictive business attire pretending to surf and dance are the highlight of every E3 stage conference.

Would be great if such a businessman walked on stage with a black mesa briefcase

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Not exactly jumping for joy with this one, but a product from one of our favorite developers naturally interests me.

Far Cry 3. This one has potential. It could be either a failure or a success, or both, like its predecessor.

Company of Heroes 2. First one was brilliant. Looking forward to its sequel.

And I hope that a considerably higher number of memes are generated from this event.

Been watching the Pre-E3 Nintendo video, Global President Satoru Iwata has said that the pre-E3 is all about the Wii U, so they can focus on the Games at their main conference.

I just hope something like this never happens again.

P.S. Yikes!

Mostly in it for the comedy.

That and a 3DS lite and hopefully some kind of announcement that Monster Hunter 4 will come to the west within the next decade with network play.

I'm hoping that Gabe was bullshitting us when he said that nothing will be announced at E3. The only thing that I am interested in at all right now, is the announcement of the next Half Life installment.

man i must of been out of the loop for the last however many splinter cell games, coz this is pretty jarring to watch

he's like batman, if batman was a killer. mental.

I miss when Splinter Cell was about a guy with extremely conspicuous green headlights, sneaking around a dark typing pool while throwing coke cans at peoples faces.

petition: bring back games to game consoles

I am watching the stream from the Microsoft conference, was nice to see new Halo 4 footage and Forza Horizon looks nice.

Also, Michael Ironside no longer voicing Sam Fisher? Didn't sound like Ironside.

matt stone and trey parker were a breath of fresh air compared to the other wooden corporate buffoons spouting nonsense. i'm not even that arsed about south park, but that was literally the only game that seemed appealing to me, likely to do with the fact that it wasn't full of slow motion and quick-time shit.

everything else was laughable bad. not even objectively bad, like ''yeah i'm not into that but fair enough'', just bad

All I care about is that a new Forza was announced. It's the only game I'm never disappointed by.

From where I'm standing, E3 starts in 20 minutes.

Okay, I've been climbing today and missed the Microsoft Conference. Anything good that I missed?

I haven't watched much of this yet, but so far I can say that Splinter Cell Blacklist and Halo 4 look like total shit.

The gametrailers Real-Time feedback plummeted as soon as Madden stuff was shown

I could care less about all the other games n' crap. All I want is Ricochet 2 so I can buy it and play it and play it a 2nd time.

loved that ''in the interest of time....'' segue in the black ops II video, where we moved from one boring set-piece, skipped the middle boring set-piece, and went to the final boring set piece. at least they were considerate!

i mean really though, a sniper segment? really? oh great you can shoot through walls now, just another mechanic to make already easy sniping sequences that much more simpler.

I remember when they first did the "In The Interest of Time" thing about 4 or 5 years back when people were still interested. The footage got a decent response from the audience, and it was kinda them saying "We know you wanna see more, but you will have to wait". It was kinda cute at the time, but with each subsequent year it has become more and more embarrassing to see, because every publisher and his dog is pushing the same mess of explosions, iron sights and people grabbing onto ledges dramatically!

I'm more excited about a half-assed GFWL port of a year-old console game (Dark Souls) than I am about any new release. I mad.

I liked the Wii Ut, Halo 4 and Tomb Raider stuff. Not sure how I feel about Splinter Cell.

MFL, just because it's for sale on Steam doesn't mean it doesn't have GFWL. There's a bunch of GFWL games on Steam.

Watch-Dogs looked fascinating. It might end up sucking, but seeing something genuinely new is deeply refreshing.

MFL, just because it's for sale on Steam doesn't mean it doesn't have GFWL. There's a bunch of GFWL games on Steam.

Just wanted to let him know it was on Steam if he didn't. Or is it the case that it will still require GFWL login when bought from Steam? Because that would be awful.

Unfortunately there are a number of Steam games that still use a GFWL backend. I'm hopeful that Dark Souls will use Steamworks but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

watch dogs looks amazing everything else looks awful especially Beyond and far cry 3(god help us all)

Watch Dogs reminds me of this indie game:

PS3 Conference was really boring I literally dozed off but The Last of Us looks snazzy, Beyond looks decent, but I'm dying for GT5 and Borderlands 2. Xbox seemed ok this year, Halo 4 will be fun for about a week or two but then I'll put it down. TBH BF3 update looks amazing.

okay, watch dogs and the last of us are both promising.

Beyond will be just as disappointing as Heavy Rain, especially since its premise is apparently 'Elfen Lied without all the stuff that made it good'

Watch Dogs looks good, but only if it isn't full of scripted stuff and actually is sand-boxy. Like the part where he changed the traffic light, was all that traffic predetermined or was it random, thus causing a random area of crashed cars to play in?

Apparently, it's predominantly the AI that's preventing it from being developed for current-gen consoles, and it was running on a high-end PC for the demonstration. If that car crash sequence actually was unscripted in the sense of being dynamically possible in the final game, I'm going to buy it (pending another Ubisoft hard-on for DRM of course).

The Last Of Us also looks great, one of the only post-apocalyptic games that seems to do things right as far as narrative tone and interaction go.

So I guess this E3 isn't a total loss yet.

Back