Electric Eyeglasses to Aid the Blind

MJ12

The Freeman
Reaction score
Video-

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/video/electric-eyeglasses-aid-blind-people-10113887

****ing awesome.

In September, we briefly mentioned a new device that could return sight, in limited fashion, to blind patients through the use of an electrode covered "lollipop." The inch-long device is placed on the tongue and is fed electrical signals from a small camera hidden in a pair of sun glasses.

These small electrical impulses allow patients who have lost their sight to recognize simple shapes and letters, and to "see" basic gray-scale images. Lance Corporal Craig Lundberg, who lost his vision when struck by a rocket-propelled grenade while serving in Basra, has become the first British citizen and the first member of the armed services to get his mouth on the new device. With its help, Lundberg is able to navigate obstacles, and even read signs. Though the images produced are too low in resolution to allow him to pick up a novel, the ability to identify elevator buttons and bathroom signs is a welcome improvement.

On your tongue?

Still, this is a great development.

Haven't they already proven that half of the blind from birth didn't want to see? For people who want their vision back it may be useful, but then again, this isn't a break through device.

This is real interesting, for several reasons.

I don't understand how such a device works... but if sensory information can be interpreted through the tongue, then there is something fascinating about how the brain can decode messages from the world.

/me buys 10

i watch ABC at night all the time, love World News Now

also this is great news for those who masturbate far too often.....

I'd like to see this more well-developed. No longer will the blinded become a burden to society, they will be able to become productive members as well. Now we need functioning mech-limbs that respond fast to neurosignals and has the ability to simulate touch.

Was thrilled when I saw this, what an age we live in..

National Geographic had an article on this sort of stuff a few months ago. Interesting stuff. There was also a girl with a robotic prosthetic arm.

^Yes, I remember reading that issue. Very cool read - the prototype arm that's mentioned basically is the closest that they've come to a normal human arm: it can lift up to 65 lbs, only weighs around 8 lbs, each of the fingers can move independently, the hand and fingers have sensors that sense vibrations, and a lot more.

Here's the article on National Geographic's website:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/01/bionics/fischman-text

Back