ever wonder about the everest climbers who don't make it?

Awesome stuff. There's a page on wikipedia that lists the creepiest places on earth. That might be on it.

Really interesting and rather creepy.

Oh my god that's ****ing scary. Just looking at those pictures you can just see exactly what their last moment looked like, and imagine what they were thinking. Unsettling.

I guess the last photo is of a very famous mountain climber, Peter Boardman.

And while reading that article I kept thinking: "Why oh why are people still doing this?!"

If you're looking for adventure there are much safer places to get your kicks, instead of Everest, where it's almost a guarantee you'll get killed in the process.

Maybe surviving the dangers is the satisfaction they crave.

I suppose it depends on the person. My idea of an adventure is traveling and seeing the world (safely of course). Anything "unsafe" interferes with my plans to... you know stay alive.

I dont get people asking "why they still do this?"

they do it to get at the top of the highgest mountain in the world,thats something not everyone do and is a big feat

like telling to the athletes that participate int he olimpics, "why you do all this stuff? to get some round disk of some metal to hang in your neck?"

I'd attempt to climb it if I was presented the chance.

I'd consider it. I know I would "nope.jpg" so hard at the first corpse I saw while climbing. "we gosta get the hell outta hur"

I think it is pretty clear that they were killed by some Soviet era weapons testing.

Probably Russians were shooting neutron bombs, or some sort of artillery or depleted uranium shells in the area.

Skiiers realize they are in the test zone of some weapons firing, try to run away to seek cover on the other side of the pass. Some get hit by pressure shock waves (fracturing skull and chest) and die of injuries or cold. Of course it's hush hush in Soviet Russia.

I once read a suggestion that infrasound from something like an avalanche or weapons testing might have caused them to panic and leave their tents 0:

There is a much more reasonable explanation someone had, wish I could find it. The radiation for example, can be explained by the packets that the lanterns used for power at the time, which contained radioactive dust.

That was a damned excellent article, thanks

I suppose it depends on the person. My idea of an adventure is traveling and seeing the world (safely of course). Anything "unsafe" interferes with my plans to... you know stay alive.

Then you are not adventurous, you would just be travelling.

I think it is pretty clear that they were killed by some Soviet era weapons testing.

Probably Russians were shooting neutron bombs, or some sort of artillery or depleted uranium shells in the area.

Skiiers realize they are in the test zone of some weapons firing, try to run away to seek cover on the other side of the pass. Some get hit by pressure shock waves (fracturing skull and chest) and die of injuries or cold. Of course it's hush hush in Soviet Russia.

Don't forget the Russian necrophiliac soldier who finds tongues gross.

1 in 10? Bah, that's nothing. Of the 'Big 14,' Everest is far on down the list. Annapurna takes the prize with 2 in 5 climbers dying.

Only 6 people in history have ever climbed all of the Big 14 without oxygen, Ed Viesturs has a fascinating read about his experience doing so.

Meili Xue Shan in China has a death ratio of infinity due to 19 climbers dying and nobody ever reaching the summit. (Death ratio is usually taken as deaths per successful summit bid)

By shear numbers Mt Tambora is the deadliest, having wiped out an estimated 40 000 people in its eruption.

Don't forget the Russian necrophiliac soldier who finds tongues gross.
Maybe he bit off his own tongue. It's easy to do if you don't keep your mouth closed and are struck violently in the chin, or in the top of your head to the point where it forces your chin down/mouth closed.

like telling to the athletes that participate int he olimpics, "why you do all this stuff? to get some round disk of some metal to hang in your neck?"
Rhythmic gymnastics never killed anybody.

Maybe he bit off his own tongue. It's easy to do if you don't keep your mouth closed and are struck violently in the chin, or in the top of your head to the point where it forces your chin down/mouth closed.

Animals ate it maybe?

Animals ate it maybe?

OK, certainly. I was just entertaining the suggestion that these people were struck with some shock waves:

I recently watched that, it was one of the best documentaries I ever saw. It was very interesting in that the guys they interviewed were so honest and didn't seem to hold back anything when giving personal accounts, even to to the point of naming who they would have preferred survive in an accident, or hoping for a moment that Joe was dead so he wouldn't have to worry about rescuing him. I also liked the part where he went crazy hearing Boney M in his head, lol.

My thoughts exactly! Simon was extremely frank with his explanations, but to be honest you can't blame him. He's leaning against the face of a mountain holding his crippled friend up for an hour and a half in a blizzard without any movement from the rope, who wouldn't assume he had died? Also after reading this thread I've been looking into the climbing culture more and it seems pretty common that when attempting a dangerous climb you have to understand that if you're gravely injured and go down, you have to accept the fact that you may not be rescued.

I was watching something about the Dyatlov Pass incident a while back. I think they were mentioning the lack of clothing was from the fact that - one of the symptoms of hypothermia is that you start feelng incredibly hot and people tend to strip. I guess it doesn't explain the trauma but I'm not here to explain everything.

I think it was proven the dyatlov incudent was due to a avalanche

I don't think anything was ever proven, but an Avalanche makes sense (crushed ribs / tent ripped from inside etc), but still doesn't explain the radiation or the tongue missing. Unless they were just made up by the craaazy Soviets. (those soviets and their radiation).

I hate when people talk about Dyatlov Pass. It's stupid. There are obvious explenations for everything. Clicky

Edit: Oh and Everest... That's ****ing grim. I hope to climb that sucker one day. I'll bring you all some bones.

Right, but that's all conjecture, no matter how well it holds up to scrutiny. That's it's why it's so interesting - everything is still open to interpretation because we'll likely never know what actually happened. Another person could come up with a different yet equally rational explanation, but they'd still just be drawing their own conclusions based on the bare facts available. I'm not saying it was some kind of supernatural event or government cover up, obviously that's pretty absurd, but sometimes it's fun to let your mind run with the possibilities. :)

Anyway, derailing now. Damn, Everest! You crazy!

Back