"Exile Vilify" Music Video Winners Announced

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
The winner of the Exile Vilify music video contest has been chosen by Valve with some help from The National after they struggled to narrow it down from a final two after getting 320 entries!
We were stuck between two very different videos. One was a terrific retelling of the Ratman story. The other had nothing to do with Portal, Valve, The National, being exiled OR being vilified, but managed to beautifully capture the spirit of the song by starring the world's saddest sock puppet.
So here is the 1st place winner:
[br]<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M4X6q7rKGd0?hd=1" frame allowfullscreen></iframe>​
[br]In 1.00000000001th place is the retelling of Doug Rattmann's story, and my personal favourite.
[br]<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/reCp31Mj2G0?hd=1" frame allowfullscreen></iframe>​
[br]You can see the 2nd place entry and many others on the Video Contest page. Which one is your favourite?

about time

just watched both. first video is nothing to do with portal 2, and it's pretty lame. second video should have won.

I liked the 1.00000000001th place video better.

I don't see why it was such a hard decision. Sure #1 was fun, but #1.00000000001 should've won hands down.

this one is pretty good too:

Sure the song is in Portal 2 but the song itself doesn't really have anything to do with the game. So I don't see why the video should. (And this comes from a The National fan.) I like both videos, and I understand why it was a hard decision. Just can't pick a favorite.

lambchop_feature.jpg

That puppet has nothing on Lamb Chop! Anybody remember that show from PBS?

The second video should have won tbh.

Sometimes the choices Valve makes are beyond me.

I can only justify the winner because The National were looking for a music video which isn't exclusively reliant on listeners / fans of the band knowing the Portal 2 story. I guess the sock puppet video requires no prior knowledge to hearing the song to understand the video and represents the feeling of exile fairly well. I think that is fair enough but if The National were looking for a detached video they shouldn't done the competition with Valve. Just my opinion.

I can only justify the winner because The National were looking for a music video which isn't exclusively reliant on listeners / fans of the band knowing the Portal 2 story. I guess the sock puppet video requires no prior knowledge to hearing the song to understand the video and represents the feeling of exile fairly well. I think that is fair enough but if The National were looking for a detached video they shouldn't done the competition with Valve. Just my opinion.
That's what I thought too but if your band is making a song for some sort of movie or game then, typically you want the music video to be related to that movie or game. Nobody really knew about them until Portal 2 as well.

[video=youtube_share;SWd73bK9-zc]http://youtu.be/SWd73bK9-zc[/video]

I guess The National wanted a sock puppet on their boring music video.

*Second place was even better:

Anything but the sock puppet!

If that is all you naysayers can see in the winning video is a sock puppet... well I feel pitty for you.

Back