Fallout: New Vegas just became a whole lot more awesome

I guess its hit or miss. It made the game recognize my card as an Nvidia 7900 GS (I have an ATI 4850). I didn't play the game for more than 15 minutes before I put that thing in so I don't know exactly what it did. Eh.

The spinning head of Dr. Mitchell is scary as hell! But those are minor glitches.

Really, I don't consider his head spinning a glitch, I consider him surviving it one!

Just one more day, shame I can't play it on that day, need to beat FO3 first!

huh.jpg

you're not going to play the game 2mro after you buy it but wait until you beat FO3?

u mad!

I sure am, but you see, I bought all the DLCs for Fallout 3 a while ago but didn't play it when I did, so I've only played it when it came out, and I know if I put it down now, mid-way through my second playthrough, I won't pick it up again in a long time, I just want to get it over with.

Also, awesome picture.

So why all the excitement for NV if you aren't even gona play it on day 1?

Because I'm gonna play it.. a few days after?

What says I can't be excited for a game even if I can't fit it in my pre-planned gaming schedule to play it the day it comes out!?o<

I also try to always avoid having playthroughs of multiple games underway at the same time, I prefer picking them off one playthrough at a time.:p

Also, I can't seem to access that Sawyer links, gives me some bullshit about needing to log in. Sure it's really Sawyer posting on SA anyway?

Interesting. I can no longer see it either. In fact, I can no longer see any of the threads. Sigh.

Also Sawyer is a SA member since about 2003. He's all over it, over 50 posts in their official New Vegas thread.

Here's the post:

Someone earlier asked if we (Obsidian/Bethesda) knew about the PC bugs that people are currently experiencing. I can't comment on every bug, but I can comment on the higher profile ones:

* Auto/quicksaving bug - I can honestly say that we never saw that bug or heard it reported prior to release. I played the game primarily (and extensively) on the Xbox 360 and PC (I also played on the PS3, but not as much) and never saw anything like that. We are looking into it right now because obviously it's (very) bad.

* NVIDIA + water = lol - This is a known issue that was introduced with NVIDIA's drivers as of (I think) two revs ago. It can affect Fallout 3 as well. We are still discussing it with NVIDIA.

* NPC faces = slow framerate - I hadn't heard of this prior to launch, but I'm going to talk to Frank (our lead programmer) about it.

* CTD Apocalypse - CTDs are often very hard to diagnose, so honestly maybe we have seen "your" issue before, maybe we haven't. These are the hardest to figure out. My apologies. We have to take them on a case by case basis.

* Video Card N + Sound Card Y + This Driver = Death/Bad Framerate - Chances are high that we didn't know that a certain combination of hardware/drivers/some other software would result in something bad happening because, quite frankly, PC compatibility testing is logistically really, really, really hard. That's not an excuse, but I hope it serves as an explanation. Anything that seems to affect a significant number of users and is systemic is something we can hopefully look into.

Please don't take my lack of commentary on bugs to mean that I don't care about them. I just want to avoid hazarding guesses and doing remote amateur troubleshooting. Bethesda's support/testing teams are coordinating known bugs and new reported bugs through to us. I know it's frustrating. I hate seeing people experiencing bugs. We are addressing them as we learn more information about them.

Also as much as I like the game, what Bethesda is doing with the reviews is just sad. Fallout 3's marketing campaign was also similar with them going as far as buying hotel rooms for reviewers and approving screenshots. That's why the negative reviews came much later and all the press was pretty much influenced at that point.

Putting that file in my folder disabled my graphics card. I started it up and it defaulted to the nvidia chip (onboard video).

It didn't help at all.

You did only put it in the game folder right? It's not meant to go into your system folder.

Wow, apparently some reviews are saying F3 had a better story/writing than NV, which I just can't fathom. I'm glad other reviewers out there have the balls to state the opposite.

going to trade in red dead for this tomorrow, maybe. i'll see how much i get for RDR then have a think. do want to play this.

RPS is usually spot-on, but that's a pretty baffling review. I know those guys aren't fans of the Bethesda games (other than Morrowind), but the fact that he compares NV to FO3 and finds it worse is just madness. Especially when it comes to the writing and voice-acting. It's ****ing night and day.

I'd say if you liked FO3 there's nothing to worry about, other than the shitty technical issues. NV is an improvement in basically every single way.

RPS is usually spot-on, but that's a pretty baffling review. I know those guys aren't fans of the Bethesda games (other than Morrowind), but the fact that he compares NV to FO3 and finds it worse is just madness. Especially when it comes to the writing and voice-acting. It's ****ing night and day.

I'd say if you liked FO3 there's nothing to worry about, other than the shitty technical issues. NV is an improvement in basically every single way.

Mind you, the review was written by the new and improved badass Quinns. The opening paragraph is very harsh imo.

There’s a distant sound that can be heard throughout your time with New Vegas. Quieter than the cheery 1930s pop hits that warble from your radio, quieter even than the chirps of night-time insects, or the long gasps of wind blowing across the wasteland. It is the sound of Obsidian phoning this game in. I’m talking long distance, reversed charges, not-giving-a-****.

To be fair Quinns has been good so far, but yeah - he definitely comes across as if he's got an axe to grind there. This game is jam-packed full of little touches and solid design. To say they phoned it in is bollocks.

The fact that he holds up the DC/Metro sections and Little Lamplight as positives from FO3 = OPINION INVALIDATED.

One thing I will say about the gameworld is it feels much more like a real place. But that does mean you won't be finding sewer entrances and underground caverns to explore every 20 feet. Might be a negative for some but I grew tired of the copypasta dungeons in FO3 pretty quick.

so how much actually takes place underground in FO:NV? FO3 had too much of it

Far less. No doubt there's stuff I haven't seen, but most of the time you're out exploring in the open. There's still a shit ton of places to go in and explore, but there's no endless metro system filled with ghouls to grind through. There's a big confusing sewer system under Vegas though, but I haven't explored it fully yet. The part of it I saw was populated by Vegas citizens and low-lifes. Oh, and the vaults I guess - but I don't want to spoil those. Only been in three so far but they've all been pretty cool and unique.

Im finding it hard to decide if I want this game or not.

It just looks too much like FO3, makes me think whats the justification for waiting so long for a new game that looks as-near-as-makes-no-difference the same as the last?

You did only put it in the game folder right? It's not meant to go into your system folder.

I put it in the main folder with the other startup apps and stuff. >steam>steamapps>common>newvegas>insert

I put it in the main folder with the other startup apps and stuff. >steam>steamapps>common>newvegas>insert

Hmmm, should've worked. Seems to have solved the problem for many others. Sorry it ****ed up for you :(

I just took it out and it automatically recognized my video card again. Weird.

Also, steam just let me know that NV downloaded something. The new patch, maybe?

Anyone know how to get to The Strip for the first time? I tried taking the main road but a guy said there was death claws up ahead. Then I tried taking a side path but I kept running into these unique fiends that are for a later quest that I don't want to get ahead on. Anyone know?

Anyone know how to get to The Strip for the first time? I tried taking the main road but a guy said there was death claws up ahead. Then I tried taking a side path but I kept running into these unique fiends that are for a later quest that I don't want to get ahead on. Anyone know?
Go through boulder city. You need 2000 caps to get in though.

If I remember right, Mick and Ralph's in Freeside will do it for cheaper (500), even more so if you have a high Barter skill, it could also be a quest reward if you so choose.

Also, that RPS review was plain daft. Everything in NV is just...better.

Wow, the performance hiccups in this game are annoying as hell. 60 FPS in some spots, then ~20 in others, almost completely at random. FO3 had a solid FPS for me at the same settings. This is really distracting.

Wow, the performance hiccups in this game are annoying as hell. 60 FPS in some spots, then ~20 in others, almost completely at random. FO3 had a solid FPS for me at the same settings. This is really distracting.

Half the time the game just freezes for me.

I can't/won't play it until a patch is released on 360.

I've noticed a little stuttering, but nothing earth-shattering. If I play for a long time, the load times seem to increase a lot though.

Im finding it hard to decide if I want this game or not.

It just looks too much like FO3, makes me think whats the justification for waiting so long for a new game that looks as-near-as-makes-no-difference the same as the last?

Its the same engine, mostly the same models, items, etc. The difference is this was created by the guys who made FO1 and 2, instead of the tards over at Bethesda.

Played a good few hours of this and I'm around level 5 now.

Not seen any game breaking bugs yet and the only thing that's let me down is the fps slow down when there are a lot of characters on screen. No idea why it would do that but let's hope there is a fix soon.

Loving it though. So far the voice acting has been way better. I'm liking the new weapons and glad we've got iron sights. Will post more after I have slept xD

so apparently I'm an arrogant ass and even with installing to the HDD and clearing the cache, tonight I got both very low fps and choppyness randomly. i saw even more hilariously bad glitches and the invisible wall is ridiculously annoying. also giant rad scorpions at lvl 4 are very hard to kill!!

It's probably because you were using normal ammo. Gotta use armor piercing to take them out effectively. (something I didn't realize for a while)

Yeah, thank god for Obsidian deciding to re-add Damage Threshold to the franchise.

Also, how are you guys doing your first playthroughs of New Vegas? Are you planning your character build in advance(I.e. from the beginning looking at all perks to see what their requirements are and what level you get them at etc?) or are you just like playing and "planning" your character as you go along in the game?

Once I got to Freeside, I ended up walking to the King's place randomly while browsing around the area. Paid the guard at the door to go the inside theater and started working for the King.

After you finish his quest he grants you a favor. One of the options you can pick is "Passport into The Strip". I went with that. Plus if you talk to him longer he'll give you his dog. I'm sure there are other ways to get there, but I found this way to be the most rewarding in XP and I didn't have to pay for anything.

Almost level 8 now and just got to the town with the Dinosaur statue.

Still getting slowdowns when multiple characters are around but its still playable. This only happens outside though.

Is there a bug with repairs? I can repair my weapons to fully repaired even though my repair skill is like 17.

Back