Fan Made Half-life 2 Series Montage Video

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a lot of these kind of videos sprawling across youtube but this one is actually good. The sound tracks is Exile Vilify by The National, the song they produced for the Portal 2 sound track which seems to fit very nicely. Linkin Park just got edged out this time.[br]Who doesn't love remembering some of these moments?

Fakefactory's high-res pack ruins the video.

I am not too keen on the pacing and scenes selection, it doesn't seem to me that they fit Exile Vilify's mood very well.

I think this is the finest thing that has been done with the song so far: http://rain.nxe7.com/

some nice compositions, but some of the editing left a little to desire - things such as just cutting out the metro police sliding back the door viewer putting a stop to you watching whats going on, and the tv coming down is just cut out, too. seems a bit odd that all things considered it followed the timeline of the games pacing as if to show the entire game in small moments, but then it goes and throws something from the end of the game/episode in, then back to more story progression, then back to the end of the game/episode. i dunno if it was meant to be following it from the start, but it had me thinking that from the first minute or so.

Overall pretty cool, would have liked to see a few more interesting moments from the game. Also, I would have liked to see the player walking more, rather than static frames.

That god damn final scene from Episode 2 always gives me chills. Damn you valve and your fantastic character design.

It needed far more structure instead of just a few pulled together scenes snappily edited together. The song is obviously very emotional, very heartfelt, so why didn't he focus on characters more? If you're going to make that last scene work why didn't he build up to it? Focusing on random explosions and static shots of scenery does absolutely nothing for me or the song, especially when it seemed like he lined them up in Windows Movie Maker and just played roulette as to where they'd be placed. There were some good composition in some of the shots, but that was once every 30 seconds. The only reason those two videos are "powerful" or such is based entirely on the strength of the music played and not the video itself.

I know I'm being a critical shit, but ****, I'd wager that Linkin Park video is 100 times better than this because the guy actually put some noticable effort into making that video.

I'm generally not a fan of game music videos that still have the in-game sounds playing underneath the music, unless it absolutely fits. I found that to not be the case with this video. The only parts that I can say seemed in tune with the music (no pun intended) were the G-man's lines.

Stealth edit: the Dead Space video was a lot better.

Glenn is clearly on the payroll of The National. I don't approve of this at all.

It needed far more structure instead of just a few pulled together scenes snappily edited together. The song is obviously very emotional, very heartfelt, so why didn't he focus on characters more? If you're going to make that last scene work why didn't he build up to it? Focusing on random explosions and static shots of scenery does absolutely nothing for me or the song, especially when it seemed like he lined them up in Windows Movie Maker and just played roulette as to where they'd be placed. There were some good composition in some of the shots, but that was once every 30 seconds. The only reason those two videos are "powerful" or such is based entirely on the strength of the music played and not the video itself.

I know I'm being a critical shit, but ****, I'd wager that Linkin Park video is 100 times better than this because the guy actually put some noticable effort into making that video.

I think the author wished to portray the struggle of the citizens and the state of the 'world' before and during the events of Half-life 2. Having a video that had the same emotional value but centred around the main characters wouldn't work in my opinion. Eli, Alyx and the rest are already fleshed out to a point where having a video montage done solely on them wouldn't have such a great impact on the viewer. Having placed in a few scenes of various people the player may have missed or in angles the player may not experienced was a great way in giving the viewer a new perspective. As for some explosive parts, there were scenes that were a bit over the top and too picturesque for the overriding premise and were placed rather randomly throughout the montage. If they were more sequential and used more to the end, it may have redeemed the video and gave it a better conclusion. As for editting, I agree that it was top notch and the guy who made it found some great beauty in a seven year old game.

That god damn final scene from Episode 2 always gives me chills. Damn you valve and your fantastic character design.
It always looked like a major dick to me:

url

Erik Wolfpaw, Chet and their Old Man Murray tentacle rape, yep.

It always looked like a major dick to me:

url

Erik Wolfpaw, Chet and their Old Man Murray tentacle rape, yep.

Oh my effing goodness I lol'd.

Not a fan of the video, the song is... yeah. The shots are too still, I understand fast-moving, shaky cam is action, which is not the tone of the video but some pans/slide shots with fades would be much better suiting. And it definitely would have been much better with only non-diagetic sound.

Alright video. He makes some nice stuff though. This sent chills up my spine at about 1:58. Used the theme from one of my favorite movies even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGwbWSQEn0I&feature=related

Frankly I'm just tired of the Sunshine score being ripped off for EVERYTHING. It's been in so many other movies,trailiers and television shows that it's sad. It's a great song for a great movie and it's getting peppered all over the place like the Requiem for a Dream song....

I can't do new thread

Hello. I have a good, new, my own interview with Black Mesa Source project leader. And I can't post it on forums! I think my IP is blocked, I have a MindCrack account, but that account is blocked. I do not know what I do bad, but if you admins do not want to read a good interview about Black Mesa: Source and release date, go ahead.

Hello. I have a good, new, my own interview with Black Mesa Source project leader. And I can't post it on forums! I think my IP is blocked, I have a MindCrack account, but that account is blocked. I do not know what I do bad, but if you admins do not want to read a good interview about Black Mesa: Source and release date, go ahead.

Generally, only hl2.net staff can post new threads in the news section. Since you aren't staff, then it would be quite difficult, huh?

I wanna see them do a HL2 video with Path of Borealis instead of Exile Vilify.

They've already done a few videos with that track. Watching all this Half-Life montage-ness really makes me want to finish my own.

I must have listened to that song at least a few hundred times. I will again.
They did a few but I didn't like the editing of the other videos as much as this one. The Exile Vilify was more of a narrative of HL2, and the rest were more scenic showing clips or just random backgrounds.

Back