Favorite Album Cover

Dalamari

Tank
Reaction score
The music on the album isn't important, it's just about the art. Bitches.

GENESIS%20the%20lamb%20lies%20down.JPG

lou-reed-transformer-mul-377781.jpg

bohemian-rhapsody-%5Bbonus-track%5D-%28dolby-digital-stereo%29.jpg

the_action_rolled_gold.jpg

B000EOTEPO.jpg

Emperor_-_in_the_nightside_eclipse.jpg

Both of these Absu covers done by Kris Verwimp:
Asun1.jpg

220720.jpg

poss nsfw:
http://img13.nnm***/e/f/2/5/b/ef25bb5fffac3107b0a45acd7b277b83_full.jpg

oceanic.jpg

aphex-twin-i-care-because-you-do-front.jpg

http://img11.nnm***/9/0/b/2/4/90b24b85af28fe74407c867a7237a3dd_full.jpg

31QKE1ZGGNL.jpg

converge-jane-doe.jpg

93612.jpg

amber.jpg

joy%20pleasure.gif

and many, many more.

good shout. i love the fragile's cover meself.

cover.jpg

Mutter.jpg

Edit: I have to agree on The Fragile, every time I see it as a thumbnail in iTunes or something I think "Why won't this cover load properly! Oh..."

Someone already posted The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

I have nothing more to say.

Probably my favourite:

dream_theater_greatest_hit.jpg

Followed by a few other DT album covers:

e9ba92c008a0bf607afca010.L.jpg

cover_3357161122008.jpg

dream_theater_-_black_clouds__silver_linings-2009-home320.jpg

What can I say, I like their music.

In terms of their album covers, they are pretty varied in content and tend to be fairly creative.

Another album cover that I like for its goofiness is Painkiller by Judas Preist.

Because I like it, and I think it matches the actual music pretty well:

Gybeinfinity.jpg

alternatively,
cst003hires_size260.jpg

And this because it's pretty awesome:
61Qe34oGy7L._SS400_.jpg

Not my favorite music, but I like this cover (actually Eluvium albums tend to have really nice artwork in general):
41BEX8WKQZL._SS500_.jpg

I love the colors on this. It reminds me of when I was a kid and we used to draw all kinds of pretty colors with crayon, then cover it with black crayon, then scratch out drawings in it. Except a billion times better than that. I guess this kinda goes for the Do Make Say Think album above too. I guess I like pretty colors with black :).
f2de228348a0744abced4110.L.jpg

Basically, I like most post-rock album covers.

But also this:
41NSw9f8HDL._SS500_.jpg

jj1dgm.jpg

'near future South London underwater. You can never tell if the crackle is the burning static off pirate radio, or the tropical downpour of the submerged city out of the window.'

308lf2c.jpg

Warp20

4ujfjl.jpg

LA 3x3 EP

Dunno really, never really looked at any.

Just went through the ones I have and these I like:

porcupine-tree.jpg

TheOffspring-Cover-Splinter-front.jpg

folder.jpg

TenaciousD-ThePickOfDestinyFront.jpg

cover.jpg

PorcupineTreeInAbsentiaFrontalGrand.jpg

The rest seem to be mostly cheesy metal covers that have the artistic quality of a wolf or dragonshirt (I'm looking at you, Kamelot, Nightwish and Stratovarius).

The rest seem to be mostly cheesy metal covers that have the artistic quality of a wolf or dragonshirt (I'm looking at you, Kamelot, Nightwish and Stratovarius).

Every time I accidentally land on a myspace page for a metal band, I can immediately tell just from the horrible artwork and giant banner that takes up the length of an entire page. I can kind of understand the horrible artwork because maybe they actually like it, but why the giant banners?!

I'm 99% sure that this album cover is meant to be a parody:
mbl100-1greygrey.jpg

me and a friend were talking about that TWDY cover the other day, how when he landed on it in itunes he laughed at it right away and from there it was really difficult for me to describe how much of an amazingly good band they are because... well, because of how rubbish the self-titled album's art is.

young mountain, however...

Young+Mountain.jpg

lovely.

That's the second album cover on this page to have an object superimposed onto the scene with poor perspective.

what, the bear and the house?

don't think it's meant to be realistic bro

Realistic and having a good looking perspective are two different things. Obviously a house on a bear is not realistic, but it could at least look correct.

Maybe it's just me, but things like that bug me.

it's art, more specifically album art, which may as well get lumped into science-fiction, fantasy, make believe and whatever else, so there really isn't a correct. the designer didn't want to get hindered and bogged down with the lame and the same, and i'm thankful for that. i like it a lot. i quite enjoy when things are warped in such ways, but then i'm a huge album cover/illustration nerd, so yeah.

I'm not artistically inclined, so I honestly can't tell what's wrong with the perspective on that album cover :eek:.

The one thing that really annoys me though is that watermark thing on/around the bear's ear. I don't think anyone's been able to decipher what it's supposed to be, so every time I look at it, I get distracted trying to figure out what it is.

i haven't a clue what it is, but if i was to guess how it got there was through a previous print on the press that was still quite wet. i've noticed it before and it's come through in some of my own print work as of recent, though obviously not as same in vein, just the idea of having these little hidden easter eggs and messages are fantastic.

it's art, more specifically album art, which may as well get lumped into science-fiction, fantasy, make believe and whatever else, so there really isn't a correct. the designer didn't want to get hindered and bogged down with the lame and the same, and i'm thankful for that. i like it a lot. i quite enjoy when things are warped in such ways, but then i'm a huge album cover/illustration nerd, so yeah.

Yeah, but it's kind of obvious he just used 2 seperate photos or illustrations and slapped them together, and used that as the base for whatever other things he did. Any artist that would draw that from scratch (a house on top of a bear) would have a more correct looking perspective.

Skinny Puppy - Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse

mind.jpg

Skinny Puppy - Last Rights

last-rights1.jpg

Nine Inch Nails - Things Falling Apart

nineinchnailsthingsfall.jpg

Every Single God-Damn Mastadon Cover

crack-the-skye-cover.jpg

15777129_leviathanwf3.jpg

mastodon_-_blood_mountain.jpg

Mastodon%20Remission.jpg

~The Abridged Version.~ :B

The first few are from my dad's sweet vinyl collection, don't actually have those, cept ELP cause they're badass and War of the Worlds cause who doesn't have War of the Worlds I mean come on.

ELP-Tarkus.jpg
15704315_brain_salad_surgery.jpg

deeppurple_fireball.jpg
51aRLtoABJL.jpg

Scorpions-Blackout.jpg
lovedrive.jpg

(And of course there's the infamous Virgin Killer cover, which I shant be posting for obvious reasons.)

110117_0_f.jpg
25ib2tj.jpg

ExplosionsintheSky-theEarthisnotaCo.jpg
isis.jpg

6a00c2252570b48e1d0109d06de068000e-.jpg
B00004SCS101_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg

theocean-precambrian-1.jpg
2326039392_aff84841bf.jpg

(I know that last one is technically the inlay but it's so mind****ingly awesome I don't care)

Yeah, but it's kind of obvious he just used 2 seperate photos or illustrations and slapped them together, and used that as the base for whatever other things he did. Any artist that would draw that from scratch (a house on top of a bear) would have a more correct looking perspective.

but... there is no correct, or more... there doesn't HAVE to be a ''correct''. if it bugs you then lump it, but you can't get up in arms about it just because it doesn't fall to your standard or conception of how something SHOULD look. i mean for the record i see nothing wrong with it anyway, but then i can accept that for one thing the central figure is a gigantic bear, so that for one gives the image a certain degree of fantasy, and within this fantasy landscape it's possible, as far as the artists concerned, to have the house on such an angle. we can't see the depth of the bear because the furs and hairs have been left out for print/aesthetic reasons to give the house linework more clarity, so i'd imagine it was centered around the small of the bears back and...

wait i don't even know what i'm trying to defend here. it's probably because i have never seen anyone complain anything of the sort regarding this album cover, but then you might be the first person i know who isn't particularly involved or interested in the style and crowd that bands like TWDY and respective similar musicians and designers are involved in, so i guess it's a collision of interests.

just to note, though, i'm pretty sure it's a print that was drawn as one singular collection of linework. whether it was two images slapped together or one drawing or not, there is no motive that defines either way to getting something ''correct'' - i could draw a bear and a house from scratch and get the perspective different to how you might imagine a house to look like, i could slap two images together and make it look how you would want it to. works both ways.

anyway i don't want to continue this as it's a bit silly on both parties so how about some more art. something related to perspective actually (just kidding)

Potemkin-City-Limits.jpg

MyBloodyValentine-Loveless.jpg

Kid%20A%20Cover.gif

61rihhfhsel-_ss500_.jpg

6a00d834e09d7169e20111689d4e06970c-800wi.jpg

harrison.jpg

This, because Bob Dylan is the ****ing man
bd06a79a.jpg

Back