feature(s) not in HL2?

M

Mort

After watching the HL2 videos for the nth time I noticed there are no examples of additional animations/bones on characters apart from the standard bipedal skeleton and obviously the incredible facial animation. If this is true then you will not be able to animate ponytails, long coats or any secondary motion on accessories attached to player/NPC/enemy models. I'm not a programmer so I have no idea whether this feature can be added on in a mod.

Are there any other obvious missing features from the information that has been released so far that will conflict with ideas you've had for modifications?

if it doesnt show in the e3 demo, then it doesnt means that its not going to be there. I am sure you will have that feature in HL2.

So you're saying skeletons are as they are? Well, you can change models.

It's all there. Look at Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, their characters have ponytails, top hats and so on and so forth, which are animated. The game is built on Source Technology.

I hope HL2 has realistic night and day cycles, as well as weather condtions like rain... that would be cool playing deathmatch in a street when the rain is pouring down

that would also kill a net connection, unless it was client side.

Like de_survivor by 3d-mike for example, he uses snow in form of sprites on it, and there's no problem while playing.
Many other mods use this as well, so weatherconditions is up to the modders.
Day and night cycle would be cool as well, and it may take some work but it might be possible.
But then again, how is HL2 with realtimelightning?
Also it looks like, from all the outside screens, like the game still uses pictures for backgrounds, and it may be hard to change them smooth while playing, and it wouldn't look good if it was a daylight sky, but the map was lit as it was midnight :(

with a talented team, pretty much anything is possible, and methinks that Valve has 1 of em!

I think I heard that the clothes are lose, so they aren't fixed to the skin. In that way they can move.

Does anyone remember the rain in the daikatana mplayer demo ages ago? That was pretty cool...

Originally posted by Stitch
It's all there. Look at Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, their characters have ponytails, top hats and so on and so forth, which are animated. The game is built on Source Technology.

Vampire is essentually a mod with access to the full engine source.

In HL2, even in really obvious areas where adding additional bones to animate clothing like the scientist's lab coat it is not used. Every other character has a very defined waist separating torso and legs with no 3/4 or full length coats. Alex's hair is also styled short and tied back thus not requiring any animation.

I really hope the feature is in HL2 or easily added and I don't have to wait until the release of some idiot LARPer's spank paradise that is Vampire: Bloodlines.

Back