Films: Rate and Discuss

You just paid too much attention to it :p

Peyote to LSD - A Psychedelic Journey - 8/10

It's a documentary on the legal and indigenous histories of psychoactives. Very informative, well organised and thought-out, though it leaves many lingering questions. Which I guess is the point. It would be impossible to answer everything in 100 minutes.

Zombieland - 7.5/10

A bloody, funny movie. You've got four average Americans battling against a whole bunch of zombies: there's the typical nerd obsessed with WoW that writes tips in his notebook on how to survive the zombie apocalypse, the masculine guy from the country who's obsessed with finding a Twinkie and knows a thing or two about firearms, the hot girl who is adept at scamming people and being untrustworthy, and her twelve year-old sister. What a perfect group. Comedy ensues.

If you're expecting a lot of zombie action, however, you'd be disappointed. There's only a few parts in the movie where you'll see zombies getting killed, mainly at the ending. Most of the movie involves the four companions traveling to a specific location which is believed to have no zombies: Pacific Playland. They have some brief encounters along the way, but when they do fight zombies, you'll be awed by how impressive and believable the special effects are.

TL;DR: Four average Americans travel to Pacific Playland, encounter a few zombies, and have a good time. I would recommend this movie. By all means, see it.

I can't help but feel this movie would have been even better if they hadn't felt the need to include the "Bill Murray Wankathon" half way through.

Precious:

a decent movie really mostly known for its oscar winning performance from Monique who does deserve it watching her in this film. Otherwise though its nothing entirely special. Its nothing you wont have seen before; its a story bout a child who is brought up in an impoverished and abusive background who betters themselves. Certainly its a sympathetic story with a sympathetic character and it has some brutal moments around precious' misfortunes. However, it is also quite slow and drawn out in alot of places and alot of the better scenes are usually intercut with these really jarring and quite frankly lame looking dreamlike sequences from precious' head which kinda ruins their impact

So yeah good enough but not great imo

I can't help but feel this movie would have been even better if they hadn't felt the need to include the "Bill Murray Wankathon" half way through.

That part was kind of amusing, but you're right, it didn't need to be included in the movie, I thought.

Uh, that was one of the best parts. You guys are stupid.

Agreed. Bill Murray is the man and that was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Especially the part where they smoke weed with him. It's so obvious that Bill Murray is the ****ing man in real life.

Bill Murray was awesome but that whole mansion bit was kind of a weird detour. I guess it was needed for some end-of-second-act character development, though.

You just paid too much attention to it :p
I was expecting a comment like this. In response, a proverb I just made up:

If you switch your brain off too much, you might blow a bulb in there. ;)

Uh, that was one of the best parts. You guys are stupid.

It was a completely unnecessary tangent for the film to go off to. Filled with one big Bill Murray ego trip and TBH wasn't even that funny. They could have filled this time with an actual genuinely funny and well written scene but decided to give Murray one big ego wank instead. It would have been like a scene in Shaun Of The Dead if they randomly put John Cleese in his house acting out Monty Python. Completely redundant. Yet you label me as stupid.

Well, you're comparing Zombieland to Shaun of the Dead, for one thing. ;)

*rolls eyes* Shaun Of The Dead was one of the more painful films Ive ever forced myself to watch.

British films are generally pretty ***t. Especially comedies.

Snatch is my only exception. That film is amazing.

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry - 5.5/10...
Laughed maybe once or twice but otherwise it was a stereotypical straight guys acting gay movie and wacky hijinks ensue.

Atleast Jessica Biel was f*cking hot in it.

When in Rome - 0/10...
Sister brought it over to watch with my fiance, they forced me to sit down and watch it.
Dear God, it was probably the worst comedy that I've seen all year.

*rolls eyes* Shaun Of The Dead was one of the more painful films Ive ever forced myself to watch.

Hey, guess what.

You're wrong.
picture.php

Toy Story 3 - 8/10. A fine addition to the series, but not much else... I think it's admirable they found worthwhile themes to explore after two films, but then they're only an expansion on what was hinted at in the second film.

Or I'll just shut up and enjoy the lengthy Totoro cameos. Though... he was probably in Toy Story 3 for longer than he was in his own film, and I'm not sure whether I'm impressed or disappointed with just how much homage they crammed the film with in general... at least it wasn't full of dreamworks-style famous film parodies. Jesus. Just thinking of the stuff trailed before Toy Story 3 makes me kind of regret the franchise ever happened.

And one more thing: **** you Odeon Brighton. Three 2D showings a day, and none after 3.45? ****ing ridiculous. I'm heartened by the fact that the 2D showing sold out before I got there, whilst the 3D one was half full. This bullshit technology adds nothing to films like this*, and I can't wait until the fad dies and you stop forcing me to watch it.

* And one more one more thing: Day & Night? That short actually looked brilliant in 3D. And you know why? Because the foreground element was actually supposed to look two dimensional, instead of being a random portion of the screen brought forward like the director had been set loose on some retarded pop-up book.

Hey, don't forget Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Full of clichés, but still a classic comedy.

That was the only point in the movie where I was laughing out loud.

Agreed. Bill Murray is the man and that was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Especially the part where they smoke weed with him. It's so obvious that Bill Murray is the ****ing man in real life.

Damn straight.

GQ said:
Last question. I have to know, because I love this story and want it to be true. There have been stories about you sneaking up behind people in New York City, covering their eyes with your hands, and saying: Guess who. And when they turn around, they see Bill Murray and hear the words "No one will ever believe you."

Are you for ****ing real?

I guess I was watching BBC for nothing for years.

Much Ado About Nothing - 8/10

Excellent adaptation of a classic Shakespearian comedy, though I guess today it'd be classified as a rom-com. Brannagh directed (and acted) superbly and it had some standout performances - particularly Michael Keaton.

Actually I should probably add at least 3 more points because BRIAN BLESSED

Funny man.

Shutter Island - 6/10...
Wow, that was extremely underwhelming.
Cheesy dream sequences, mediocre acting, plot cliches, and a twist that I saw coming like 20 minutes into the movie.

Scorsese is losing his touch.

Oh come on people, name ONE great British film that isnt something to do with stereotyping cockny bri'ish lan-dan innit. And Im talking world famous films here, not b-movies or ones the vast majority of people havent seen.

It might as well just be a big screen version of Eastenders. Oh god Eastenders. The horror.

[edit] Lawrence Of Arabia was pretty good though.

And Monty Python doesnt really count, as thats just a longer version of one of their TV series episodes.

And Monty Python doesnt really count, as thats just a longer version of one of their TV series episodes.

So Life of Brian isn't a movie? :rolling:

What about The Man Who Would be King, or Withnail & I, or Zulu? Shallow Grave, Trainspotting and the James Bond films. Kind Hearts and Coronets! This is England.

For such a tiny island we do pretty well thank you very much :p

I think Warbie has already shot down your argument Dynasty, not to mention more recent films like In The Loop, Moon, Slumdog Millionaire, Children Of Men, Sunshine, 28 Days Later etc.

You quite obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about mate.

A Clockwork Orange
Brazil
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Red Dawn 9/10

Forgot how much I liked this movie, kinda looking forward to the remake now after watching it again.

Dog Soldiers, Green Street, The Italian Job, Goldfinger, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner...

Quadrophenia, Dead Man's Shoes, The Ladykillers ..

Oh come on people, name ONE great British film that isnt something to do with stereotyping cockny bri'ish lan-dan innit. And Im talking world famous films here, not b-movies or ones the vast majority of people havent seen.

It might as well just be a big screen version of Eastenders. Oh god Eastenders. The horror.

[edit] Lawrence Of Arabia was pretty good though.

So. Many. Things. Wrong. With. You. Head. Hurts. Must. Self. Anaesthetise.

Dinner for Schmucks: 9.5/10

Without a doubt one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

^I didn't think the whole concept would translate into American culture.

Dog Soldiers

I did say GREAT films.

And Im pretty sure James Bond films, the films not the man, arent British, albeit James Bond is and was created by a Brit.

Even still, we have nothing when compared to the US or Bollyw..no wait.

Of all the films you guys have shouted at me, I can count the great films on one hand.

Of all the films you guys have shouted at me, I can count the great films on one hand.

So we aren't responsible for as many great movie as the (MASSIVE and obscenely rich) US movie industry. However, if we're talking ratios of good to shite movies, then the UK are streets ahead (not taking anything away from you yanks a btw ;) ), and, as I said, we do very well considering our resources. Name a country other than the US that can match our movie output over the years.

Either you have a terribly deformed hand with lots of fingers or your taste in movies sucks balls. I vote for the latter :E

And Im pretty sure James Bond films, the films not the man, arent British, albeit James Bond is and was created by a Brit.
Although Albert Broccoli was American, the films involved British actors, British subject matter, British funding, the work of a British writer, and were filmed at a British studio. Come on.

Anyway, haven't you ever seen an Ealing comedy? Powell and Pressburger? Alfred Hitchcock?

Either you have a terribly deformed hand with lots of fingers or your taste in movies sucks balls. I vote for the latter :E

This ^ All the examples given were great movies and there are many more, Dynasty just seems to live in a bubble in which he only stupidly cares about US movies.

Back