Films: Rate and Discuss

So I went to see Django Unchained earlier. Awesome film.

As you might expect from a Tarantino flick - Bucket loads of explicit gore and quite a few moments that had me laughing. Although, of course, all of that was incorporated well and didn't detract from the narrative of the film or make any of its recounting of the kind of harsh times faced by slaves before the civil war any less poignant and disturbing. It's around 2 and a half hours long but none of that time is wasted, in my opinion.

I can hear the negatives that the pessimists on this forum will say: Too much 'N' word...

I don't see how people can seriously complain much about the use of that term in the film. We can either have a racist and offensive word that was commonly used to refer to slaves in the US during the days of slavery, being commonly used in a film about slaves in the US during the days of slavery OR we can all pretend attitudes weren't like that in the antebellum era for the sake of our poor ears and eyes, which should only be confronted with fairy lights and kisses.

Ok.... I've just watched a recent film called U.F.O. And now, I wish I'd done something more fulfilling.... like repeatedly stick myself in the eye with a rusty steak knife. And I don't mean the eyes in my head.

As the main reason for this catching my attention was it's title, and my love of most things XCOM, (and even though the two are completely unrelated in anything but name) I thought I should let you all know that watching this is bad. Crossing the streams bad.

It's been billed as a British take on Independence Day crossed with..... hell, I can't actually think of anything worth comparing it to.

The script is beyond awful, the acting is even worse, and the actual plot itself is... well... completely pointless. Nothing happens.... at all... for about 50 minutes, other than an 'into' of clubbing followed by shagging (in the dark, so you can't even get a kick out of that!) that lasts for about half an hour. The actual invasion when it finally comes round is too confusing to even focus on. Actually... there isn't much of this movie that makes much sense at all.

Pierce Brosnan's son and Van Damme's daughter are the main characters... Van Damme is in it too, for a bit. So that must tell you something of the casting.

I have a thing for watching bad B-movies, and occasionally being surprised and finding a genuinely well made and entertaining story. I enjoy watching these movies, even the terrible ones. But this? Holy feck.... Avoid this like the plague.

Also, Chernobyl Diaries, which was one of the worst films I've seen in recent years is oscar worthy compared to this.

It's been billed as a British take on Independence Day crossed with..... hell, I can't actually think of anything worth comparing it to

I've got a British alien invasion movie for you. If you haven't seen it already, I would recommend watching "Attack the Block". It's not exactly serious, since the plot revolves around a gang of young punks that manage to stop an alien invasion. However, it's entertaining.

Yeah, that was actually the one I was trying to think of but it escaped me..... Yeah, that one was entertaining. UFO, however, does seem to be trying to take itself seriously. Laughable doesn't quite cover it.

I don't see how people can seriously complain much about the use of that term in the film. We can either have a racist and offensive word that was commonly used to refer to slaves in the US during the days of slavery, being commonly used in a film about slaves in the US during the days of slavery OR we can all pretend attitudes weren't like that in the antebellum era for the sake of our poor ears and eyes, which should only be confronted with fairy lights and kisses.

Sorry when I said forum I really meant the general public. It was just more or less aimed at 'people I don't know.'

Agreed though. This is one of the lessons given when you have to read Huck Finn in school.

Hitchcock - 9/10

Just finished watching it, great film. Anthony Hopkins was fantastic in the role of Hitchcock.

Also

That part where he is waiting outside to see the audience's reaction to the shower scene, and then doing moves like an orchestra conductor to the screams of the audience, was ****ing hilarious.

Some of the movies I've watched recently:

A Scanner Darkly:
Awesome, awesome movie. Was wonderful if only to appreciate the hours upon hours put into rotoscoping the entire film. The effect is... mesmerizing, to say the least, kinda makes you wish every film had the same effect. Production values aside, the story is compelling, the characters witty and entertaining, and the overall tone gives a bit of a tug at the heartstrings for the portrayal of a (albeit fictional) drug-ridden society gone wrong. I likey.

The Machinist:
Christian Bale got so f*cking skinny for this film. See it for that alone, the man is dedicated. In line with the amnesia theme, I've actually forgotten a lot about this film, all I remember is that it was awesome. Super grim, dark, industrial, siick.

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus // Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus:
Who the f*ck comes up with films like this? More to the point, who finances this? The names of these films speak all (and none) about the quality of them. They're shit. But fun, too. Not recommended to watch sober.

Django Unchained:
Ahh, Tarantino, you do entertain me so. Django was mad fun to watch (even with my fanatic girlfriend laughing everytime someone died.) It was funny, it was appalling, it was historically inaccurate, it was f*cking awesome. Three hours of carnage derived from the very best of Tarantino's talents. I love it, but won't watch it again for at least a year.

American History X:
Just came away from watching this. It's a great film, sad, heart-wrenching if there's any truth to the depiction of white supremacists. I read in a review that it's terrifyingly "thought provoking." I agree. It's almost shameful to watch this movie and empathize with a neo-nazi racist prick. But you do, there's light on all sides. The film resolves, and leaves the viewer at about 90% solace, it's frustratingly cut short. But it's good too, different at least. Edward Norton is so good too.
Still recoiling from the [cover your eyes] "PUT YOUR MOUTH ON THE ****ING CURB!"

Also, have you guys heard of That Movie Book? It's a guide to 5 movies per weekend (each weekend in line with a theme, e.g. amnesia) for every weekend of the year. You start with an easy entrance into the theme or idea with one movie on Friday night (e.g. Bourne Identity) and then progressively move into the heavier and heavier films (e.g. The Machinist) come Sunday. It's good fun, it's been the main cause for me to watch some movies I wouldn't normally watch, and the genre/theme idea really works too. Check it out, if you're game.

Welcome to the Punch - 7/10

Good crime thriller, heavily inspired by some of the Hong Kong films in the genre. Great cinematography, making London look incredibly blue. Tight script and acting - Mark Strong and Johnny Harris were particularly impressive. Sadly the plot is rather predictable, at least if you're somewhat familiar with those Hong Kong cop movies.

The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1
A very good adaptation I though. Very true to the source material (which I also very much enjoyed) even if it does have to make unfortunate cuts like sniping a lot of a lot of the TV segments (though Miller's bias really shines through a bit too much in those). Most of the changes that I noticed I though were actually quite positive. I especially liked the addition of Batman using a couple of his rogues gallery's gadgets. I think moving the
Joker
bit to a sequel-hook at the the end was a good move, I think the build up for that started a bit early in the comic and left me wondering when the hell the plot was going to get around to it. Haven't watched Part 2 yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Lars and the Real Girl

Strange mix of uncomfortable and cute/charming, with a good performance by Gosling. Hooked me in before I realized it, would recommend.

Star Trek Into Darkness - 6/lensflare
Casting as great as the last film, story is tight with a few twists and a few holes. Pacing is done well. A few too many nods to some of the moments in the original films perhaps, love/hate for many I expect.
It will be a big success financially, probably Abrams' last Trek though.

Edit: Y'know the more I reflect on it the less parts of this film make sense. More plot holes appear and in a more meta sense some parts of the plot are executed in an extremely clumsy fashion even if internally consistent.
Also to nerd-rage THAT'S THE WRONG MEANING OF TRANS-WARP OMGJKGFAHLJ!!

It's definitely less good than Abrams' previous Star Trek, redeemed somewhat by Benedict Charismabatch (despite some scenery chewing he was fantastic). It's fun while you watch it but the aftertaste isn't quite as enjoyable.

Star Trek Into Derkness 8/10

Thoroughly entertaining. Same witty characters. Typical Abrams story. BC is always fun to watch.

I wouldn't complain about the use of the word, or overuse in this case. If it was a common word back in those times then fair enough.

But the scene at the dining table just made me feel a bit uncomfortable. They'd been using the word here and there and that was fine, but that scene started to take the piss a bit with the word being used every 2nd line almost. It was just...different. Shockingly so.

You can't deny its' use back at the time, for sure, and we can't be blind to it. But it doesn't mean we have to like it either.

Man of Steel is probably the best superhero movie I've seen to date. Just saw it for the 2nd time (and I never watch movies in theatres twice).

Pacific Rimjob- 4.52 / 10

Glorified cheesy flim, with mediocre action sequences, lets stop the apocalypse yayyy!! at least they didn't kiss in the end.

This is the end- 8 / 10

Oh god i haven't laugh this hard in a while and the cum scene was gold.. did lack in some stages but overall i would watch it again.

Man of Steal- 9.3 / 10

Best movie so far me this year, Henry plays a pretty emotional superman, Russell and Michael did add alot of depth into the superman universe, all though Amy was a pretty poor Louis lane and some pretty stupid lines in there...pirated it when i got home it was that good.

Sorry, but how?

Cavill’s performance is his ability to show control over his emotions. This means that he doesn't have to rely on dialogue to portray his emotions; his facial expression and body language tend to be enough to carry the scene. Granted, with a lack of control, Superman would not be able to keep a low profile in his every day life, however, for me, the scenes in which he does not hold back his emotion have more of an impact.

Pacific Rimjob- 4.52 / 10

Glorified cheesy flim, with mediocre action sequences, lets stop the apocalypse yayyy!! at least they didn't kiss in the end.

mediocre action sequences...

(The ending was pretty cheesy though.)

Gravity

Pretty incredible. If you have any interest in this, see it in a cinema. I hear it's even better in 3D.

I really love the production of planet earth and most wildlife documentary films.

Just watched Kubrick's "Clockwork Orange"... I'll have nightmares about Alex for months ...... 7.5/10, maybe I was too young to really enjoy this movie/film, but maan.... :dead:

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday.

Pretty solid, my second favourite Marvel Phase Two film after Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which was fantastic.

I just finished Guardians. My sentiments are pretty much the same. Too bad there will be no new movies until 2015.

Last edited:
Most interesting movie i have seen is "Sherlock Holmes". 10 points, amazing plot and play of actors.

Back