Films: Rate and Discuss

Alien Resurrection 5/10

I waited so long to see this movie and I wish I didn't. Horrible acting, horrible cliches, and it should not have been part of the series at all.

Bronson 7/10

This movie took me a long time to digest (saw it on Netflix over the course of weeks). It was good, had its moments, but isn't life changing or a must see movie. As mentioned above I wouldn't watch this with family.

It's always been a cornerstone of our relationship, especially when we're working together creatively.

I had totally forgotten who you were until I read this. The lack of Daffy Duck and the name change confused me.

I had totally forgotten who you were until I read this. The lack of Daffy Duck and the name change confused me.

It's like he ****ing neutered himself. Samon is no longer Samon. And no longer with a daffy duck avatar. That's just god damn weird. I didn't know who the **** he was until I read your post.

I thought TDKR was a great film, I liked it better than TDK.

We saw more of Bruce's character, we saw what made him tick. To me that's important, you really didn't see that in TDK. That said, I'm a bit of stickler when it comes to the source material.
Bane was never in a relationship with Talia, it was Bruce that was. Always.

But ugh, I couldn't grasp what the **** Bane was saying. Every other word. I didn't like the ending too much, it felt cliche and out of character for you know who.

But ugh, I couldn't grasp what the **** Bane was saying. Every other word. I didn't like the ending too much, it felt cliche and out of character for you know who.
I haven't seen it yet (hopefully tomorrow or Sunday). Though, I think I'm going to have a hard time figuring out anything he's saying because I couldn't when viewing the trailers. I actually had to find trailers with subs to figure out what in the hell he was saying for a few lines.

I am always surprised when I hear someone say that they couldn't understand Bane. I found him to be very clear. And I'm one of the people who had a lot of trouble understanding him in the trailers.

Bane was never in a relationship with Talia, it was Bruce that was. Always.

I didn't get the feeling that they had a romantic relationship. It seemed that Bane was more than a little older than Talia and was more of an older brother to her. I may have missed something, though. I felt it worked for their characters. I found Talia to be a really underdeveloped character in this film, regardless.

I am always surprised when I hear someone say that they couldn't understand Bane. I found him to be very clear. And I'm one of the people who had a lot of trouble understanding him in the trailers.

I didn't get the feeling that they had a romantic relationship. It seemed that Bane was more than a little older than Talia and was more of an older brother to her. I may have missed something, though. I felt it worked for their characters. I found Talia to be a really underdeveloped character in this film, regardless.
Bane is Talia's equivalent of Alfred. He looked after her when she was a child. I have no idea where people are getting the idea of romance between them from.

I think too many people on here fancy themselves as professional film critics what with the reaction to TDKR, its adorable. And people saying the acting in Prometheus was bad? lol.

Went to the drive in last night and saw two movies with my girlfriend. Also had the most annoying movie patrons right next to us the entire time so I think it almost ruined our night.

The Watch 7/10

Funny movie that kept my attention and made me laugh plenty. The movie was pretty predictable but otherwise it was worth the watch.

Ted 6.5/10

Not that funny, had its moments but I think I heard the shit and **** word about 10000 times. Was hoping for it to be a little bit funnier but I can't believe I saw an adult movie about a teddy bear. Not that you can compare these movies but Team America which is in a league of its own just like this movie was much better.

I think too many people on here fancy themselves as professional film critics what with the reaction to TDKR, its adorable. And people saying the acting in Prometheus was bad? lol.
Oh no, people criticising films in the film criticism thread!

I haven't seen it yet (hopefully tomorrow or Sunday). Though, I think I'm going to have a hard time figuring out anything he's saying because I couldn't when viewing the trailers. I actually had to find trailers with subs to figure out what in the hell he was saying for a few lines.

When the Blu-ray comes out, I'm definately going to put on the subs.

I think Talia called him 'lover' (correct me if I'm wrong) in it and refered that Ra's Al Ghul (they keep pronouncing his name wrong in the movies) didn't approve of him because he was very radical. Which is saying alot.

I don't think Talia was ever an enemy of Batman in the comics, at least I don't remember it. So this is a very different Talia Al Ghul that I've ever seen.

Oh no, people criticising films in the film criticism thread!

Notice I used the term 'professional film critics'. I'm not saying criticising is bad, its just the pretentious manner in which people do it on this thread.

When the Blu-ray comes out, I'm definately going to put on the subs.

I think Talia called him 'lover' (correct me if I'm wrong) in it and refered that Ra's Al Ghul (they keep pronouncing his name wrong in the movies) didn't approve of him because he was very radical. Which is saying alot.

I don't think Talia was ever an enemy of Batman in the comics, at least I don't remember it. So this is a very different Talia Al Ghul that I've ever seen.
Talia calls him "friend" and Alfred says he was thrown out for being radical, Talia says he was thrown out for being a hideous reminder to Ras that he unwittingly left his wife and daughter to rot in a pit.

CASABLANCA

This film was lame. It was in black and white so made me sleepy. The main character was boring and mumbled. The piano playing man was good at piano. The main female character was smoking hot lol

I dont know what happened in this movie but I think the people who made this movie probably thought they were being really cool and so tried to make a cool detective movie. But it was lame, and I don't even know exactly what happened. There was no car chase or gun fight. I thought the shreiking midget was really funny though, and it wasn't too long.

7/10

Apparently we did.

I guess the thing of it is Shift we're just never going to be dumb enough for you.

Haha now that's just not nice. I'm also amazed how you can fully judge a person's intelligence via an anonymous avatar and one post on a forum. Impressive.

Wait a minute is that Samon? I can tell just from the sledge hammer wit and if it is my previous statement is now redundant...

On topic.

Paprika - 7/10

The film that influenced Chris Nolan's Inception. Was interesting and frankly, very weird. I found that I kind of lost track of everything that was going on by the three quarter mark and will have to watch it again. Visually stunning. Just packed with scenes that were easily replicated with Inception.

Yeah, whenever I tell people to stop critically analyzing and thinking so hard about films, especially in a thread about the rating and discussion of films, I always anticipate people will judge me to be just so brilliant

The Sitter 8/10

Funny movie, with lots of stupidity and twists and turns. watch this if you need a laugh it was a one of a kind type of movie. (im sure there are others like it but I don't sit there watching movies all day like some people)

The Bourne Legacy - 7/10

Pretty good film though not as good as the Matt Damon films. It takes on a completely different style and tone and one could argue that it is much darker than the original trilogy, delving much deeper into the dirty little secrets and projects of the CIA. I like Renner as an actor and I think he put up a good performance however Rachel Weisz was the star of the show for me. There wasn't as many fight scenes as I would have liked and the ones that did occur were again plagued by shaky cam so it was hard at times to really see what was going on (arguably a recurring problem with the Matt Damon trilogy). I felt it lacked some of the cleverness of the original films, like how Bourne assessed situations instantly and used his surroundings to full effect to get out of sticky situations, or how he would use things like a pen or a rolled up magazine to fight with. I felt the cohesion and the fast-paced fluidity of the original films was somewhat lacking here too but then as I said, it was all shot in a different style.

It did however contain some very powerful scenes and there was this chilling undertone to everything that was happening and you really do get a sense that Jason Bourne and Treadstone/Blackbriar were only the tip of the iceberg. There was also a brutal chase scene that had me on the edge of my seat, in fact I recall a few occasions where I had my hands over my mouth in utter shock. I suppose another positive would be the fact that it felt like it ended too early, I literally could have sat and watched another hour, I wanted more, and that was after 2 hours 15 minutes viewing time. However, I believe it set up very nicely for a sequel and however farfetched, I would love to see Matt Damon return.

What a pretentious **** you are. Wannabe film critic or what.

I knew you would say that haha. It was hardly a HEY LOOK EVERYONE I KNOW FILMS LOTS review, it was just a amateur run down of its good and bad points and I think it was fair, especially given the amount of slack its got at the moment. My problem comes when people take a perfectly good film and just shred it for daft reasons, such reasons which are covered with pretentious language. If you think that doesn't happen here then you're in denial.

"You found faults with a movie I enjoyed and expressed those findings using words that are too large."

That's just getting repetitive. Look dude, I had really high hopes for TDKR too, and while it was entertaining and certainly wasn't an abomination, it was disappointing and kind of a mess. I'm not just gonna cling to some delusion because I watched some damn good trailers. If you disagree, you're free to argue the point. It's pretty lazy to just dismiss a person's arguments by making offhand comments about the person being pretentious.

"You found faults with a movie I enjoyed and expressed those findings using words that are too large."

That's just getting repetitive. Look dude, I had really high hopes for TDKR too, and while it was entertaining and certainly wasn't an abomination, it was disappointing and kind of a mess. I'm not just gonna cling to some delusion because I watched some damn good trailers. If you disagree, you're free to argue the point. It's pretty lazy to just dismiss a person's arguments by making offhand comments about the person being pretentious.

Yes you have a point, I just sometimes cannot see how people could possibly dislike certain films, I mean TDKR wasn't perfect and it certainly wasn't the best of the trilogy but it still blew me away. But then I guess different people see different things in films, but I do sometimes get the impression that people on here sometimes hate on films just for the sake of it, or just because its popular and will pull phantom problems out to crush it which aren't fair criticisms in my opinion. But each to their own I guess.

Yes you have a point, I just sometimes cannot see how people could possibly dislike certain films, I mean TDKR wasn't perfect and it certainly wasn't the best of the trilogy but it still blew me away. But then I guess different people see different things in films, but I do sometimes get the impression that people on here sometimes hate on films just for the sake of it, or just because its popular and will pull phantom problems out to crush it which aren't fair criticisms in my opinion. But each to their own I guess.

And is this one such post to which you refer?

TDKR stands halfway between being a passively entertaining movie and a really bad movie with no thematic or emotional anchor. Which obviously means it's both. It's a film with flaws so magnificent in their stature that I'm left incredulous Nolan's name is on the script. The lazy and uninspired ambience surrounding the film's entire direction left me pretty dumbstruck for those two and a half hours I languished under this colossal mess. You guys are way too forgiving and way too easily entertained.

There's a megaton of reasons for the movie's failings but I think a lot of them orbit a few key errors that generate the rest. The literal plot ties to Begins bog down a lot of its narrative capabilities. The uniqueness of the threat is diminished because you're dealing with the same villainous organisation that roughly has the same agenda, only now its a hollow revenge story. I am not saying Begins posed or explored interesting questions with 'the League' but it did at least try. Having matured as a film maker, here was Nolan's opportunity to expand those pop philosophy ideas he had in his head eight years(?) ago and give them a little more credibility. The opportunities only grow when you have a villain prepared to take over a city state and impose his own sense of justice on its trapped population. All of the grand ideas the film hints and winks at are clear as day when you're discussing the film's set-up, but they fail to materialise in the film itself. A final act doesn't need to bend over itself to cater to plot points set up in the beginning. Where did this dumb approach to conclusive parts come from? Such laziness.

Nolan's Gotham has been the story of the American metropolis since TDK. Begins shows something different and isn't worth talking about so we'll stick with TDK. The apogee of the modern Western world, referred to within the film - more than once - as 'America's finest city'. It's what makes TDK so great: you've got a living city with all the voices - the political, the law, the citizenry, the crime. All of these voices are represented by people. TDKR doesn't have any of that. It's not a city. At least, it's not a city with a population that has anything to say. It's cityscape shots and isolated cliques (e.g. Blake's foster home). Bane addresses the people of Gotham but no one responds. We don't know how the people of Gotham felt about a draconian piece of legislation (Wayne and Gordon thought Gotham was 'better' because it had become authoritarian inclined? I don't buy that). There's a hint that there's been wide-scale social stratification but it's just that, a hint, and Bane's class warfare rhetoric is rendered utterly mute because of it. The film's pacing is so piss poor that 3 months pass and not a sense of life under Bane's tyrannical rule is given to us. There's a situation, but the situation is posed, stated, never shown or explored or given life. TDKR raises the stakes like never before, but it never once justifies raising those stakes. In the end, we've got policemen beating up the degenerates because, well, law and order and all that. The film doesn't actually tackle the problems and it doesn't say anything. It's vacuous and empty and completely pointless. I can think of no greater criticism to level against it than this.

Bane's voice was brilliant. And that's the highest praise it is going to get.

And is this one such post to which you refer?

I hadn't actually read your review of it and I wasn't naming any names in particular. That was actually a fair review, I can see where you are coming from with it, perhaps there were more flaws than I noticed on my first watch. However, you implied right at the start that those who did like it are "too easily entertained", I enjoyed it a lot but I can assure you, I am not easily entertained, in fact my friends would scoff at such a notion. That my friend, is what we call being pretentious, which unfortunately is one of the things I was saying was rife within this topic chain.

The Dark Knight Rises:

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, but I didn't enjoy it as much as The Dark Knight.

Things I liked:
- Anne Hathaway as Catwoman was a great choice, I think she did a great job acting that role
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt was also excellent in this movie
- The ending, won't say any more than that.

Thing I didn't like (spoilered just in case):
- Bane. I would be curious to hear why people liked him so much, as I didn't like him at all. I didn't get this feeling that he was a really deep character like other people mentioned, and the fact that he was just working for Talia at the end really made him seem like an above-average henchman as opposed to a villain. His voice sounded like a bad Sean Connery impersonation, I personally hated it. He was also killed (?) in such an unceremonious manner, which also made him seem like a less significant character.

- The pacing of the movie wasn't that good. There were multiple time in which time skipped forward by days, weeks, even months with very little indication as to what happened. A lot of scenes seemed rushed, as if they had cut halfway through them to cut the movie's runtime down. If this is the case, I hope they release an uncut version on DVD as I think it would fix the pacing issues quite a bit.

- Soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but some of the songs sounded exactly like the track in The Dark Knight. This wasn't something I really disliked, more of an annoyance.

Despite what I mentioned, it's still definitely worth watching as it's leagues better than the vast majority of superhero movies that are released nowadays.

Cabin in the Woods - 8/10...

What a fun god damned movie.
Hilarious, twisted, and charming as hell.

I only wish that I had never seen the trailers, they pretty much ruined the surprise of the movie.

I saw Cabin and enjoyed it too. It's flawed and more than a little contrived, but it's so gosh darn much fun. It's also incredibly silly but you can't really begrudge Mr. Whedon that.

The Fall - 9/10

I was not expecting something so creative and beautiful. This is an amazing movie, sorta like Big Fish. Highly recommended.

Yeah I loved that movie too.

The movie is directed by Tarsem, who afterwards went on to direct such classics as: Immortals (crap), and Mirror Mirror(more crap). WTF man?

From what I've heard, The Fall was a personal project for him, and the rest were probably done just for the money, and from the results it shows.

I loved TDK! And I'm not even a batman fanatic lol! I watched 50/50 a few weeks back thought that was also good! A story about a man who has cancer.... And watched the classic Truman Show again last week haha!! Cracks me up when the actors on set advertise lawnmowers, coco beans and beer!!!!!! It was my bday monday and got the film 'city of god', so will be watching that tonight (unless friends ask me to play trials evo, cs:go or mw3) ..

-KB

The Dark Knight Rises:

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, but I didn't enjoy it as much as The Dark Knight.

Things I liked:
- Anne Hathaway as Catwoman was a great choice, I think she did a great job acting that role
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt was also excellent in this movie
- The ending, won't say any more than that.

Thing I didn't like (spoilered just in case):
- Bane. I would be curious to hear why people liked him so much, as I didn't like him at all. I didn't get this feeling that he was a really deep character like other people mentioned, and the fact that he was just working for Talia at the end really made him seem like an above-average henchman as opposed to a villain. His voice sounded like a bad Sean Connery impersonation, I personally hated it. He was also killed (?) in such an unceremonious manner, which also made him seem like a less significant character.

- The pacing of the movie wasn't that good. There were multiple time in which time skipped forward by days, weeks, even months with very little indication as to what happened. A lot of scenes seemed rushed, as if they had cut halfway through them to cut the movie's runtime down. If this is the case, I hope they release an uncut version on DVD as I think it would fix the pacing issues quite a bit.

- Soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but some of the songs sounded exactly like the track in The Dark Knight. This wasn't something I really disliked, more of an annoyance.

Despite what I mentioned, it's still definitely worth watching as it's leagues better than the vast majority of superhero movies that are released nowadays.

In the comics Bane was of South American decent, not British. And wore that particular mask that Latin American wrestlers wear, along with the venom storage tank. Tom Hardy Bane was smart, but lacked the monstrosity of comic Bane.

Honestly, Bane was never my favourite Batman villian. Joker and Victor Fries were my favourites. Clayface and Killercroc are cool too.

The passage of time between the 3 movies confused the **** out of me.

I still want a Killing Joke movie, damnit! It would be god tier.

I'm not sure what your trying to say.

But anyways I think it would be great because we've never had a villain origin story, especially one with a compelling villain like the Joker. Mark Hamill did say he wanted to do one.

Back