"Freeman's not done" - Lombardi

I won't buy L4D2 anyway.

It is not because anything else, but that I don't really like coop gameplay.

While I understand that what you say in an interview can sometimes be casual and free, the "stay tuned for more" comment was a little much. I don't fault the feeling in which the comment was given, but I do fault the nature of the comment itself.

It sounds as if we were at the end of a television episode (imagine that), and were about to be given clues as to the nature of the next one. Unfortunately in this absolute extravaganza of new Episode 3 information, something is a little lacking about this metaphor. Mainly, there was no episode that we just watched, in that we haven't had any information whatsoever about the nature of Episode 3, as those two art pieces that have been shown are too cryptic and lacking to make any kind of future conjecture about, other than that there will be Combine architecture, and that there will be Advisors. That is in addition to the idea that when you say you will give more information... you do. As in the last time that Doug Lombardi told us we would have something new. I definitely stayed tuned. Very much so. Waited for the next 'episode of information', and we reached this point and when we got here, "stay tuned for more." This has been stalled quite a bit now. Suspense has been maintained, but it is about to reach DBZ levels of ridiculous. And we all know what happens when you power up for five episodes in a row without anything happening. People stop caring. (obligatory needless exclamation mark underscored by the creaking sound of a breaking soul)

I agree 100% with this sentiment.

Instead of some one (such as myself) either pre-ordering the game when it is about to come out, or purchasing the game two weeks after it releases - rather, waiting until the price comes down (this can take several months, and even a year or two), and I've done this before.

Also, I predict that Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will release in 3-6 years from now. :p

Anyone would be stupid to think that Valve would stall or push aside the Half Life Saga semi-permanently.
Valve doesn't just work on one game at a time - and unless I'm horribly mistaken.

Doesn't one of the TF2 blogs mention that the reason for a long time with no updates was because everybody was working on L4D to get it out.

"Freeman's not done" is that the best you can do Doug? Valve really do need a new PR guy.

I won't buy L4D2 anyway.

It is not because anything else, but that I don't really like coop gameplay.
No freakin' way. So you've been bitching this whole time about a game you're not even interested in?

Jesus Christ.

No freakin' way. So you've been bitching this whole time about a game you're not even interested in?

Jesus Christ.

i don't like coop gameplay is another way to say "i don't have any friends" :p

"Freeman's not done..."

Well geez, I could've told you that!

Nice interview, im really looking forward to this & the fact its gonna drop in about 5-6 months ;)

Who cares about L4D2? Everyone was expecting episode 3 information and all we get is a stupid "when its done" comment. Show us a video , or even a screenshot already!!

Okay I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe they'll reveal some EP3 stuff as L4D2 releases.

Not going to lie, not announcing any information here was pretty disappointing. That being said, I have no doubt that Valve has an amazing reason to keep us in the dark this much. Valve is very good at marketing their games so when it comes to creating hype and excitement for something, they know how to do it. Clearly they have something up their sleeves and are awaiting to announce it in epic fashion.

Every moment they don't say something makes me think that what they're going to say is going to blow us away.

Not going to lie, not announcing any information here was pretty disappointing. That being said, I have no doubt that Valve has an amazing reason to keep us in the dark this much. Valve is very good at marketing their games so when it comes to creating hype and excitement for something, they know how to do it. Clearly they have something up their sleeves and are awaiting to announce it in epic fashion.

Every moment they don't say something makes me think that what they're going to say is going to blow us away.

yeah what i think to something big is going on behind the scenes but what ever it was it probably wasnt ready for E3. I reckon its Half Life 3 myself and they've ditched the episode idea :) and portal gun going to be in the game

I think the Half-Life 2 series may be one of the longest lasting story arcs in video game history. 2004 to ????

In the sense of story arcs, yes, but it's certainly not another Duke Nukem Never.

yeah what i think to something big is going on behind the scenes but what ever it was it probably wasnt ready for E3. I reckon its Half Life 3 myself and they've ditched the episode idea :) and portal gun going to be in the game

They would never ditch the episode idea now, that would be a terrible decision. Oh, and I have no doubt that they're not doing HL3 right now seeing as how HL3 will start a new story arc and HL2's isn't wrapped up. I'm just saying that what they're doing on HL2:EP3 is going to be absolutely amazing and they're giving the story arc an amazing finish.

Look, its stupid to question whether or not EP3 is in development. Of course it is, just because they kept it so secretive doesn't mean they cant possibly be working on it. look at how good of a job they did keeping L4D2 a secret and we didn't have a single clue until now. I'm sure somethings gonna pop up within a few months from now where valve schedules some sort of interview or press conference and release a shit load of info on episode 3 right on the spot including an epicly big trailer and screenshots...

their probably intentionally keeping it so secretive and then they're gonna hit us hard with a lot of info one of these days lol...

Episode 3 will end as Gordon goes through a portal and off to the other Combine worlds/universes to save the multiverse in its totality from the Combine.

Shack: When did development on Left 4 Dead 2 start?

Chet Faliszek: Pretty much after Left 4 Dead launched.

All this tells me is that, "We planned this from the beginning and never really planned to give you extra content."

Yeah, **** you too.

There's nothing to sort out. If you look at it from their perspective this is actually pretty clever.

I don't think you actually read the article, did you?

I did.

And I don't believe them when they say, "we'll continue supporting L4D". They haven't done it so far, why should they do it when they have a newer game to "support"?

OH WAIT NEVERMIND THEN THEY'LL BE MAKING L4D3. How silly of me.

If you're referencing the fact that L4D2 will be an entirely new game, then I DON'T CARE. I want my money to pay for a COMPLETED L4D first.

And I'm not sure I want this game anyways. It looks shitty.

Well this is what we learned about Episode 3 from this..

It's going to have Gordon Freeman in it.
We can stay tuned and there will be info later.
That he's not going to give us a date because he missed it "last time."

Anything more about Episode 3?

Anything more about Episode 3?
That people want it so much that they reach entirely new levels of Internet ****wadery and collectively whine like pound full of dogs who just lost their testes to a particularly vicious but humiliatingly fluffy cat?
Lombardi never mentions Ep3 here, just 'Freeman's Adventure' :/
Valve Software / Telltale Games partnership imminent.

To be fair, at least Telltale understand what "Episodic" means.

Jeez people, just wait for the Episode 3 bomb to drop in due time. You must have something else to do in the meantime :p

This was pretty disappointing, but I'm confident that it's for a good reason. My guess is that the there are some technical aspects of episode 3 that have caused a setback, and they felt they were not yet confident/prepared enough to reveal anything about it.

Specifically, I am thoroughly convinced (especially after getting no info at E3) that Episode 3 will have Gordon using the portal gun, in a more typical half-life environment that might be a little more tricky to work with than the parallel rooms of portal. Games have used portal-like things before but I think Valve has something tricky up their sleeves but it's taking some time to work the kinks out. Hopefully we'll get info soon.

All that said, I'm more disappointed that they are just jumping ahead to L4D2 so quickly, charging it full price and all. I didn't purchase the first one (played through it at a friends house WAY too quickly) and don't plan on buying the second one either. They can say it's a full sequel, but the fact that Valve has never chugged out a "full sequel" in remotely this fast somewhat shows that it's rushed. The only games that get sequels this quickly are sports games (which barely change) and games that have alternating developers (like CoD and Splinter Cell).

I'd call it an expansion pack instead, like Opposing Force (think, that brought hours of new single player, tons of new maps, new multiplayer modes, weapons, and enemies). The first L4D shouldn't have been $50. Maybe this one will be worth it, but I'm just going to wait and see.

This was pretty disappointing, but I'm confident that it's for a good reason. My guess is that the there are some technical aspects of episode 3 that have caused a setback, and they felt they were not yet confident/prepared enough to reveal anything about it.

Specifically, I am thoroughly convinced (especially after getting no info at E3) that Episode 3 will have Gordon using the portal gun, in a more typical half-life environment that might be a little more tricky to work with than the parallel rooms of portal. Games have used portal-like things before but I think Valve has something tricky up their sleeves but it's taking some time to work the kinks out. Hopefully we'll get info soon.

All that said, I'm more disappointed that they are just jumping ahead to L4D2 so quickly, charging it full price and all. I didn't purchase the first one (played through it at a friends house WAY too quickly) and don't plan on buying the second one either. They can say it's a full sequel, but the fact that Valve has never chugged out a "full sequel" in remotely this fast somewhat shows that it's rushed. The only games that get sequels this quickly are sports games (which barely change) and games that have alternating developers (like CoD and Splinter Cell).

I'd call it an expansion pack instead, like Opposing Force (think, that brought hours of new single player, tons of new maps, new multiplayer modes, weapons, and enemies). The first L4D shouldn't have been $50. Maybe this one will be worth it, but I'm just going to wait and see.

You basically summed up what I'm thinking as far as Ep3... I'm anxious, and was pretty damn pissed when nothing came up. But I've assumed since portal came out that Ep3 would have the portal gun; and as you said a Half-Life environment is much more complicated than a sterile room.

I am hoping that maybe we'll get some form of news by summers end... if not, then maybe when L4D2 comes out; they did mention it was coming out on the 11th anniversary of HL, it would be fitting to make a big announcement then.

Ugh, really dissapointed with the lack of news. On the bright side, I am no longer completely against L4D2.

EVERYBODY!

Someone at the Steam Forums has a very good ear, this is what he found:

"So this video http://www.shackvideo.com/?id=14517 at 3.00 mins, a guy in the background asks Doug very sternly "When the hell are you gonna tell us about Episode Three!", and Doug laughs. Then Doug goes on to say something, but I can't quite understand what he says due to ambient noise."

Can someone make out of what Doug's reply is?

Yeah you do hear 'Episode 3' then laughing, but hardly anything else audible. Would need some processing to get anything else from it...but even then, I doubt Doug would have said anything hugely groundbreaking.

There's nothing to sort out. If you look at it from their perspective this is actually pretty clever.

yeah its very likely they only want to release the media on episode 3 when there something to show thats near enough final! left 4 dead 2 no real big surprise as they prob had a ton of new ideas when they were saving left 4 dead from turtle and prob had most of this in place for a whole new game within the year.

:) i am going to play left 4 dead and episode 2 again for now then it doesnt seem so bad! valve games rock so much u cud play them over and over and never tire of them tbh

All this tells me is that, "We planned this from the beginning and never really planned to give you extra content."

Yeah, **** you too.

crying_baby.jpg

How is this new or worth mentioning...

To give everyone gagging for Ep3 info someting to talk about...oh and that shit-load of info about L4D2.

I did.

And I don't believe them when they say, "we'll continue supporting L4D". They haven't done it so far, why should they do it when they have a newer game to "support"?

OH WAIT NEVERMIND THEN THEY'LL BE MAKING L4D3. How silly of me.

If you're referencing the fact that L4D2 will be an entirely new game, then I DON'T CARE. I want my money to pay for a COMPLETED L4D first.

And I'm not sure I want this game anyways. It looks shitty.

I got the impression that Doug was saying that they started working on more stuff for L4D1 right after finishing it, and soon realised that they were making a whole new game.

:)

This E3's been a huge disappointment from Valve...no news on Episode 3 or the Portal sequel(which interest me much more than the sequel to a game that's barely been out for half a year), plus the news that they've gone to the Electronic Arts School of Game Development when it comes to Left 4 Dead.

Back