Gabe: Gordon Won't Change

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems in recent interviews Gabe has been slightly more forthcoming with regard to discussing the future of the Half-life series. In an interview with Edge magazine he was asked if he wanted to give Gordon a greater sense of 'embodiment', he said:
We haven't had a reason to change that. Most of what I've seen to date has been gimmicky and is entertaining for just a minute or so.
The age old question if Gordon will ever utter a single word was mentioned and if that time is soon upon us...
We're not philosophically opposed to this, but we don't have any good reasons to do it. Right now making your companions more interesting and compelling seems a more fruitful avenue to explore.
</i>Times have certainly changed but I'm sure our Gordon can still fight a good fight. Interview from Issue 213 of Edge - reported by CVG.

He won't change because Episode 3 will never come out to change him.

and what other new fps characters had bring something new to the table?

Good.

He better keep his ponytail.

wow!! More talk on the half life series! I think the end of the ban on talking about Episode 3 means that we are getting closer to a trailer or maybe release date.

I just don't see Valve saying anything at E3 because recently they only seem to focus on coverage of one game at a time. Whether that has been Left 4 Dead, L4D2, and Portal 2. With Portal 2 being released shortly after E3 it wouldn't make much sense to finally give a release date or trailer to Episode 3...it would just hurt Portal 2.

I think we might get Half life updates or a minor teaser trailer at the end of Portal 2 or a couple months after it has been released...but still good to hear some news!!!:stare:

Oh awesome! VALVe have finally started working on Episode Three. :/

yeah there seems to be an increase in speakings from Gabe about future half-life.

Nothing was said here. Is this even news? "Hey just to let everybody know, Gordon's still not going to talk." I don't know why these retarded interviewers ask these sorts of questions, or why this even deserves to be a news post. Gabe hasn't been "forthcoming," he just said something everybody already knew the answer to.

Meanwhile, this ends up becoming another thread for the two ever-present groups to chime in "Episode 3 is never coming out!" and "I hope this means there'll be a release date or a teaser soon!"

Of course Valve won't break the convention they have established over 40+ hours of Half-Life gameplay.

I they don't come out with a release date or a teaser soon im afraid that Episode 3 is never coming out.

Gordon won't change. Wow. Wake me up when Gabe has something more interesting to say.

Nothing was said here. Is this even news? "Hey just to let everybody know, Gordon's still not going to talk." I don't know why these retarded interviewers ask these sorts of questions, or why this even deserves to be a news post. Gabe hasn't been "forthcoming," he just said something everybody already knew the answer to.

Meanwhile, this ends up becoming another thread for the two ever-present groups to chime in "Episode 3 is never coming out!" and "I hope this means there'll be a release date or a teaser soon!"

That pretty much sums it up.

Which came first: the Gayben or the egg?

BREAKING NEWS: HOOL IS AN IDIOT.

No, wait, sorry - headlines from three years ago.

15n7rsl.jpg

He won't change because Episode 3 will never come out to change him.

Wrong. Epsiode 3 will come out, and If it dosen't, then may Valve burn in Hell. Anyways, If they want more profits, they're going to need a new product to fuel their luxeries and their life-styles. The easiest thing they could do(and knowing Valve, they would do) is just to take the Half-life 2 engine and adapt it a little, like they did with all their other games: it would be the best show of human laziness in ages.

Good start.
Epsiode 3 will come out, and If it dosen't, then may Valve burn in Hell.
So it's definitely going to come out, but it might not?
Anyways, If they want more profits, they're going to need a new product to fuel their luxeries and their life-styles. The easiest thing they could do(and knowing Valve, they would do) is just to take the Half-life 2 engine and adapt it a little, like they did with all their other games: it would be the best show of human laziness in ages.
Unreal Engine 2. Was it a total rewrite of the original Unreal engine? Was UE3 a total rewrite of UE2? No.
You see, game developers modify their engine to suit their needs, not to add a mythical shopping list of features to satisfy bullet-point fetishists. Note that I said game developers, not engine developers (Crytek, Epic etc)
Now, I'm the first person to criticise Valve in some areas (Valve - your tools are shit. Get with the times.) but laziness? Really? The last notable engine update Valve did was for L4D2. Did they add DX11 rendering? Sub-surface scattering? All the other high-end bollocks? No - because it wasn't necessary.
You're either stupid or a troll. Possibly both.

That being said Gabe has gone on record saying that Episode 3 will feature a laundry list of engine updates they've been planning.

Yes, but engine features that are implemented because Valve consider them necessary for the game.

Hmm, looks fine to me. I'd say they "upgrade" their ragdoll system so that it is, you know, not so bad? Personally I like it, but that constant limb overlay is really bugging me off. It looks as when you kill something, be it a CP, after the bullet hits him he just falls to the ground as if the bullet hit triggered the engine to let go of the AI control over the model and let his body be controlled only from the physics part of the engine.

Back