Gabe Newell: We've Moved Beyond the Episodic Model

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
thats it,I will email gabe whit a mail asking about episode3 even if is a meaningless questiong every tuesday from now on till anything new about episode 3 is mentioned besides "yes it exists we will not say anything else"

starting now

Call me naive, I still expect an Episode 3. Them including the Borealis achievement in Portal2 tells me they are not done or retconning the whole Borealis thing, and I also don't think Half Life 3 would be about the continuation of same story arc. Do I have any sources? No. But my gut tells me, Half Life 3 would have a new story arc, a whole new book from the Half Life Bible Mr. Laidlaw appeerantly already planned ahead. So, I expect closure to current "Resistance of Earth" storyline and Borealis. The thing that makes most sense to me is announcing Half Life 3 after we are done with Ep3. Wishful thinking has always been my weakness though.
Wishful thinking? Maybe . Personally I think Valve should release Ep3 . After screwing badly with the so called "episodic releases every year" , at least they should finish the job . Somehow after reading the interview I felt like Gabe was admitting defeat (episodic fail that is) . Not that this is something new , but I kinda think this was the final conclusion on the whole HL EP topic. At this point I don't care if it will be called Ep3 ot HL3 , I just want to continue Gordon's adventures .

PS: Now about that wishful thinking .... Half Life(ep 3 or just 3) announcement in the coming E3? :imu: We will see .

Just checked out that Valve haven't signed for E3(yet) . Sooooooooo what do you think ? There is a possibility that this can change in the next few weeks ,though. Besides HL releated info I don't really see why would they bother to go to E3 although they could show something about the sign language tech ....

PS: Now that I think of it ... they could reveal a new hat or something ...

don't hold your breath, dota2 is valve's next game.

no one is going to want to play it. valve's wasting their time

Speak for yourself won't you Mogi? I'll link you to the Steam stats when it launches.

mogi is the new barnz at stating things as fact, except barnz was/is bad enough with it that we really don't need a second

No one here afaik cares about dota2, myself included. However I'm sure Valve will market it in such a way that we'll all fall into their marketing strategy.

No one here afaik cares about dota2, myself included. However I'm sure Valve will market it in such a way that we'll all fall into their marketing strategy.

You actually liked that stupid Portal 2 marketing? More than likely just them saying" hey, its us again" would make many on this site buy it. I didnt pay attention to any of that viral crap, I knew what I was going to get and whether I would get it simply from playing Portal

Maybe he likes to meet people in real life. When it comes to SP games I am with him: I don't want fancy social features, I just want to turn on my PC and play at once, according to my pace and my mood. Just 5 minutes or 2 full hours, I decide. All that "social" stuff, at least keep it optional and don't force it into gameplay.
^ I agree. I still facebook, have plenty of friends IRL and everything, but when I play games, I want to detach myself from real world affairs and just enjoy a good SP experience. When I play multiplayer, I play over a LAN with friends online, but I can't be bothered with MMOs and such when I'm solo. It just ruins the immersion for me, which is the most important part of my gaming experience.

I thought DOTA had quite a large following already. If anything, Valve will get a bunch of new fans.

You actually liked that stupid Portal 2 marketing? More than likely just them saying" hey, its us again" would make many on this site buy it. I didnt pay attention to any of that viral crap, I knew what I was going to get and whether I would get it simply from playing Portal
While I found it amusing, I didn't think Portal 2 needed marketing to the type of fans on this site. So I would think it's going to be different.

I've been saying for some time that I doubt we would ever see an EP3, instead believing HL3 was more likely. Now this seems even more likely, if not more or less confirmed by Gabe, my only worry now is that it will be another 2, 3, 4 or more years before we see HL3. Going on what Gabe now says about episodic content & the way Valve games will develope (as in the way TF2 has) where does that leave HL3 at all in the grand scheme of Valves future?! It almost sounds like Valve are moving away from the type of game & content that HL previously was.

I greatly enjoyed it. Is there a problem with that?

Not just the commercials, the endless convention postponements and that Glados bsod thing? It was unnecessary and only resonated with those who are already fans

Not just the commercials, the endless convention postponements and that Glados bsod thing? It was unnecessary and only resonated with those who are already fans
How are postponements part of the marketing?

I imagine another long 5 years before Half Life 3. I heard they were working on making the game deaf/mute friendly and would include a disabled character along those lines for Episode 3. Now that they are going on to Half Life 3 will they carry on the effort? I don't know if the move to put such features in a game will actually slow down the development process.

I just hope they don't do what EA did to the Command and Conquer series with C&C 4.

I heard they were working on making the game deaf/mute friendly and would include a disabled character along those lines for Episode 3.

Not to say it will never happen, but none of that information was based on any evidence at all. There was an interview a while back where Valve were asked some questions by deaf gamers and they discussed ways in which they could make their games more accessible, however all the rumors that Valve were creating a deaf character or that it was in any way linked to Half-Life were completely invented by the gaming community.

The same is true of pretty much every rumor currently surrounding the franchise.

Sorry,

That one was just in reaction to this which got locked for whatever reason. Hope he feels smart now.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/sho...-will-Valve-Released-Next-Ep-3-or-Half-life-3

From that thread;

Fact: There will be no Half-Life 3. Valve staffers have confirmed this on multiple occasions.
Fact: Episode 3 is still in development and has not been canned.
Fact: This thread is closed.

Looks like someone got their facts wrong ...... apart from the last one :)

From that thread;

Fact: There will be no Half-Life 3. Valve staffers have confirmed this on multiple occasions.
Fact: Episode 3 is still in development and has not been canned.
Fact: This thread is closed.

Looks like someone got their facts wrong ...... apart from the last one :)
But what's amazing is he got the information as early as August 2010.

Back