GamePro - The 28 Best FPS Games

Reaction score
I saw this article on Digg, thought it might be interesting to discuss:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/207423/the-best-28-fps-games-page-1-of-3/

At a glance:
#1 - Half-Life 2
#2 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
#3 - Bioshock

Although I applaud a few good judgement calls (Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and No One Lives Forever 2 are on the list, and all deserve the recognition), I really have to wonder what the authors were thinking when they put this together when I see some of the other entries. I can't figure out whether they nominated these games based on their importance/influence on the industry or their popularity, or both, or if this is just a 'games we liked' list...

Firstly, Team Fortress 2 isn't on the list. What were they thinking? I'm not saying it's the best shooter ever but it's definitely unique and important enough to have a place on even a top ten list.

Secondly, sequelitis. I don't understand why they give games like Call of Duty 4 and Half-Life 2 such high honors. Sure, both are great games (in my opinion) but in both instances (and especially in Half-Life 2's case) the original games were far more influential at the time of their releases than their sequels were. Call of Duty 4 is a solid game but it brings little in the way of innovation, it's basically Call of Duty in a new setting with a few extra features and a new engine. The first one should get the credit here, or at least mention should be made of the whole series, not just the latest one.

Finally, it's unacceptable that they made no mention whatsoever of Operation Flashpoint. That game was truly groundbreaking, it helped spearhead the up-and-coming tactical shooter sub-genre, allowed players to use everything from tractors to jet fighters at a time when 98% of other shooters only allowed you inside vehicles for rail shooting sequences, and took place on entire geographically mapped islands that were so big it could take up to an hour to walk from one end to the other, and this was all more than a year before Battlefield 1942 came out.

Discuss.

At the end of the day, all Top lists like this are the opinions of a select few, everyone has their own personal view in their own head.

And while Half-Life 1 should be at the high spot because of how it turned an arcade blastemup genre into a way of delivering true narrative, Half-Life 2 deserves a spot in its own right, the character work (from a technical perspective esspeacialy) remains unbeaten in my opinion, no matter how good other games NPC models look, they still lock you off into cutscenes, one of the most memorable moments of my first play of HL2 was when Eli gives that little shake of his head to you, while alyx and mossman are arguing, no matter where you are standing in the room, its simple and subtle, but only valve bothered to go that extra mile.

Also your right Operation Flashpoint never gets the praise it deserves, while the game was amazingly unforgiving on the player, some of the technologies and ideas it braught were truely innovative, it had a sandbox editor when Far Cry was barely an idea on a white board, and it had a simple LUA style modding system that meant pretty much every vehicle and weapon in existance ended up as an addon.

Star Trek Elite Force, Clive Barkers Undying and Cake III should have been on there,
Vegas should not have been there.

FEAR as number #10???

dear lord.

that game wasnt bad, but definately not one of the best shooters ever made.

i enjoyed Command and Conquer Renegade more than that game. . .

I can understand HL2 getting no.1, I don't agree, but can buy that. CoD4 and Bioshock getting 2 & 3, **** off!

I hated OFP. and lol at using non-used part of game as screen.

Call of Duty 4 should not be #2 by any standard.

Ya i would say i agree with that list 80%.

I see nothing wrong with that list at all.

Call of Duty 4 and Bioshock were fantastic and fully deserve to be in the top 5, considering I had massive amounts of fun with both.

Call of Duty 4 is too short to be in the 2 spot. Bioshock should get that spot. Or the first and second CoD.

Still no recognition for Wheel of Time. So underrated...

I like how the CS:S screen looks about as advanced as the one from Thief 1 below it.

That shot isn't from retail CSS just like the HL2 shot isn't from the retail game.

I wouldn't have a prob with HL2 or Bioshock. HL2 was the best linear style shooter I have played probably until Bioshock tbh.

Where's that screenshot that's supposedly from CS:S actually from?

Also Far Cry: You can explore a huge open-world island, destroy environments brick by brick, and hang-glide from one mountaintop to another.

wat?

And I don't like when they use screenshots from betas - HL2 screenshot.

Wow, Blood getting recognized? Almost shat bricks ffs.

Decent list, although I don't see how they can list TS3: Future Perfect instead of TS2. Also no Half-Life 1?

CoD4 is undeserving of 2, even 10th. Where the feck is HL1? Why the feck is Halo 3 there? Ep2?

*EDIT* damn me not reading.

They also reused the Dues Ex picture for AVP2.

Valve should contact them about the <([*(b)..(e)...(t)...(a)*])> pictures.

RAINBOW SIX ****ING VEGAS?

if that's on the list they could as well have put RB6 Vegas 2 on it, that's better, and it's not even good.

wait how come bioshock and SS are on there, amongst others like Thief...they really aren't FPS.

this list is awful.

Quake 2 is seventh...wtf...ok probably because of multiplayer.

oh and i think HL1 was better than 2. it was truly revolutionary compared to its successor which was more of an evolution.

Yeah that get's me too. They list generic shooters ala Quake/Doom but don't mention what is arguably the first FPS to push a story and not fail at it?

Here's an idea - lets put together a list of really good FPS games and jumble them up in some sort of top ten fashion for web traffic!

I'm such a brilliant mind.

ALSO GOLDENEYE

oh and i think HL1 was better than 2. it was truly revolutionary compared to its successor which was more of an evolution.
Somewhere, there is a list that rates the world's best mass-transit systems, and a person in the comments is bewailing the exclusion of Stephenson's Rocket in favour of the Japanese Bullet Train.

Protip: A mass transit system would take advantage of many forms of transport, not a single type.

Back