GDC Awards Results

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
At this year GDC with five nominations, Portal was the night's big winner at the GDC Awards. Valve's Puzzle game won the ceremony's top prize, Game of the Year 2007, as well as Best Game Design and the Innovation Award.[br] While recapping all the nominees, Portal was the crowd favorite, drawing loud cheers from throughout the hall. Mr.Newell took first crack at the acceptance speech with a haiku:

Orange Box puzzle game?[br]
Digipen students are smart.[br]
The cake is a lie.

Congratulations to Valve and the Digipen students, you deserved it. To view you full list click here.

:LOL:

Nice one, Gabe.

I'm really pleased Portal has been so well received. It's a fantastic little game.

I called it! Valve takes the big awards again. GDC in my opinion is the most respected award.

thank god Portal won! fully deserved.. Bioshock is so overrated imo.

thank god Portal won! fully deserved.. Bioshock is so overrated imo.

Bioshock is good overall. Everything rated highly enough gets overrated (even Portal, as good as it is). I found Bioshock's story and visuals (both technical and artistic) good enough that I was willing to put up with some of its less-fun gameplay elements.

I felt really disappointed at the ending, though, which didn't live up to the story quality of the first 2/3 of the game and therefore didn't make up for the less-fun gameplay elements.

i agree.. it is a good game just not in the kinda league the HL series is, it doesnt deserve the 10/10 or the 9/10 ratings it has recieved.

Congratulations, Valve! Portal FTW, The Orange Box rocks! Well deserved. I'm glad Bioshock didn't get another GOTY. Portal truly deserves it.

Not to be a haiku nazi, but aren't they 5-7-5 (syllables?)

Or-ange Box puz-zle game? (6?)

Also, congrats Valve. I never would have expecting them to win an award for a puzzle game. "Stack the cinder blocks on the wooden plank" seems to have been their best attempt.

Hm, only those specific DigiPen students are smart? Or are all of us DP students as smart? ;) Hehehe

'Grats Portal guys!

Orange has two syllables, damnit.

Back