Gears of War (X360) Discussion!

it seems that GoW is living up to the hype...
Yup, finally a good next-gen 3D Rolling Thunder clone!! Duck, shoot, repeat! I love it!*

*Seriously, I do love it. Rolling Thunder is a personal fav and this sort of crazy beautiful arcade shooter looks awesome as well. Just don't expect something as paradigm-shifting as HL2 and you'll be just fine. That was my first mistake.

Yup, finally a good next-gen 3D Rolling Thunder clone!! Duck, shoot, repeat! I love it!*

*Seriously, I do love it. Rolling Thunder is a personal fav and this sort of crazy beautiful arcade shooter looks awesome as well. Just don't expect something as paradigm-shifting as HL2 and you'll be just fine. That was my first mistake.

Well I am happy that the XBOX 360 finally gets the killer app it deserves, I will wait for a price drop in the console though, FF XII is absorbing my time these days anyways...

I want this bad, but alas no money. Thankfully I bought FFXII so that'll help pass the time till I do have the money..but than I have to get guitar hero 2 and..bah god damnit :|

That's definately the most negative review i've read so far, which is no bad thing as it's still pretty positive.

They don't mention co-op (by far the most attractive thing about GoW), and do seem to contradict the other reviews i've read in a few areas - namely by saying that GoW doesn't offer anything new. From the vids i've seen the pop and cover gameplay looks quite different to that seen in GRAW and R6, being both more fluid and considerably faster. Most other reviews have picked up on this, some even saying that this game feels quite unique in play. There are certainly no games of this type that you can play with a friend on or offline in co-op, and the multiplayer looks like no other game i've seen.

Still, another decent review.

Well I am happy that the XBOX 360 finally gets the killer app it deserves, I will wait for a price drop in the console though, FF XII is absorbing my time these days anyways...
Yes, its good that the system does get to show off a bit. Its performance looks like it would beat most PCs out there right now alright. Good stuff. The wait for the price drop just got a lot harder!

FF12 is taking up every waking minute for me too...well, every minute that isn't spent on NWN2!!!

Iunno shoul di save and buy a killer grapghics card or buy a 360 choices choices :p

Iunno shoul di save and buy a killer grapghics card or buy a 360 choices choices :p
Or maybe enroll in a typing class? :cheese:

JK. Seriously, I am having that dilema as well. Waiting for a price drop for the 360 is a good idea and will save you some money to put toward a GPU next year when DX10 cards release for hopefully cheaper. Gears makes the wait harder, but at least Bioshock and Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed aren't out yet--I would've already parted with over $700!!!

$400 for a console that can run GOW.

$1200 for a computer, plus a ridiculously expensive high-end graphics card, that can run games comparably to the 360.

:)

well you dont have to get an uber vid card ..I played far cry on my geforce 2mx ...wasnt the best but it looked decent enough

I updated my pc last year for about $700 (vid card/mobo/cpu/psu) and it ran Oblivion on high settings

if you start factoring in hidden costs on a 360 you'll be spending upwards of $1000: core system + extra controller + xboxlive gold ..then there's a hd ($300), hddvd player and now you're up to $1000 ..surely you dont need all that but I'm guessing you might by the 360's mid life

plus 360 games are on average $20 more expensive than pc ..that adds up after awhile ..I nearly choked when I saw the difference between the godfather for pc/360 ..the pc version was $29 .the 360 version was $59

Id say buy whatever you think you would use more.......although a 360 is good to have

Lets be straight forward though: If you want to play Gears tomorrow you need to just spend enough for the system (assume the one WITH a hdd) and the game.

Shouldn't Gears be out next week or something? It's already up on torrentsites :eek:

It's out very soon (tomorrow) in the US, in a week or so in europe.

Pirating really has little impact on the 360. Very few people have their machines chipped and those that do risk having their Live accounts cancelled and their machines blocked at any time and after every update (this has happened to quite a few already). Of course, it also makes any warranty quite useless.

GoW being available to download is of little consequence, and is very far from being 'owned' as someone posted earlier. Nobody really cares ;)

Borrowing a neighbor's 360 right now to try it out for a few days and I can already say I'm buying one tomorrow.

I had no idea THIS many demos and Arcade trials were on Live. I wish it could play videos from my Zen Vision: M though :(

Signed up on Live under the nick RumpleFugly

Scrubs reference :D

EDIT: D/ling like 5 demos right now :p

Make sure to DL the Rainbow Six demo, well worth it!!!
Truth. The demo is pretty tight, even if it is just a singleplayer mission. I know exactly where all my hours on this game are going to be spent :D

So, any of you whores played it ?!

I've read the reviews but I want some comments from ppl on forums. :O

Sorry cant help yah yet, but tomorrow morning when I go to pick it up Ill post some thoughts!

I think the problem is that anyone who has it is playing it. Which is a good sign.

Hah, yeah, I didn't really think of that.

I dread going on Live whenever you guys get it tomorrow or so and seeing 90% of people on my friends list playing GoW and getting invites to play. ;(

I'm PLaying this game And its AWSOME !!!!!

Pics will be up in 5 min 60" hd tv FTW lol

The videos dont do this game justice its so good i cant believe im typing now just got it too!!!!

This is on my 60" lcd hdtv that i cant afford lol THIS GAME ROCKS!!!
picture168gf9.jpg

picture169iu2.jpg

picture170tv2.jpg

picture171xl5.jpg

picture172nf8.jpg

picture173cd3.jpg

picture174wc3.jpg

picture175nn6.jpg

picture176ci1.jpg

MORE TOO COME !!! THE UNREAL ENGINE IS JUST BEAUTIFULL!!!!! :rolling:

rock for the detail of the hair of the dude or cuz is a good game?

anyway gamespot give it a 9.6

Nice setup dude. I'm gonna try picking it up this weekend. If not, I'll just rent it until I can.

I demand to know how I forgot that this came out today and why I didn't go out and pick it up. :( ;( Its too late now... I guess I'll have to go pick it up tomorrow.

Edit: I also demand to know why GameStop didn't call me and tell me that my preordered copy came in. <- Forgot about that. :rolling: ;(

I demand to know how I forgot that this came out today and why I didn't go out and pick it up. :( ;( Its too late now... I guess I'll have to go pick it up tomorrow.

Edit: I also demand to know why GameStop didn't call me and tell me that my preordered copy came in. <- Forgot about that. :rolling: ;(
lol

Not all stores sold it today. A lot of stores have today as the "ship date" and are releasing it tomorrow, my EB included. So no worries, if they sold off your preordered copy you can always sue them :)

yeaaaa after reading some review I finally caved and ordered my 360 tonight, should be here sometime this week =]. gears of war here I cum...

lol

Not all stores sold it today. A lot of stores have today as the "ship date" and are releasing it tomorrow, my EB included. So no worries, if they sold off your preordered copy you can always sue them :)

Hmm... that better be the case.

Or else!!!

Ok after reading these reviews im so pumped! Plus me and my buddy are gonna play this on his HD projector, UHG tomorrow cant come soon enough!

Time for sleep, then I gotta go work out and then GoW.

It's just silly how fast new videos, reviews and impressions made me pull a 180 for this game.

That's definately the most negative review i've read so far, which is no bad thing as it's still pretty positive.

They don't mention co-op (by far the most attractive thing about GoW), and do seem to contradict the other reviews i've read in a few areas - namely by saying that GoW doesn't offer anything new. From the vids i've seen the pop and cover gameplay looks quite different to that seen in GRAW and R6, being both more fluid and considerably faster. Most other reviews have picked up on this, some even saying that this game feels quite unique in play. There are certainly no games of this type that you can play with a friend on or offline in co-op, and the multiplayer looks like no other game i've seen.

Still, another decent review.
Also, they complement to plot, which every other review said was non-existant :p

Oh, and the 8/10 was their review of the game having not played the multiplayer at all... which may have included coop as well since they didn't mention it at all. 8/10 seems pretty accurate, even generous for just the single player campaign, gleaning from what other reviews have said.

Woo! Release date here has just been pushed up the 23rd. Two weeks will be a slightly more forgiving wait :E

Edit - Goddamnit, I don't even remember when I went from being skeptical to hyped about this game, but this may well be the first title I ever pre-order. It's always been a policy of mine to try/hire/demo first, but I don't see anything here that I'm not going to like. On top of that I can't stop thinking about how fun it's going to be to play coop with one friend, he's really into tough, tactical shooters and we make a perfect team. I'll be in charge of running and gunning (chainsaw patrol :cool:) and he'll usually relegate himself to sniper duty and provide some pretty excellent cover. We's gonna OOOOOOOOOWN. *bounces*

Back