GOG is shutting down

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
This is sad day.

Sometimes it's really hard being DRM-free... hard to keep things the way they are and keep management and publishers happy :(

psst...valve you've a got a really good opportunity here!!

God damn it.
Bought quite a few games from them.

People probably just figure that because the games are all a bit old and most of the devs aren't around anymore, that they can just pirate them.

This sucks majorly, got tons of games that are otherwise unavailable anywhere but Amazon or eBay from them.

I never used the service but I liked the idea behind it. Valve taking on the site or all the games would be cool but one of the things about GOG was no DRM what so ever so its customers might not be happy if their accounts get moved to Steam. In any case the odds of Valve doing that are probably very, very slim.

Wow. No big "hey buy or we die" sale to spur everyone on? That's a shame. I might have bought some games if they had some kind of last chance warning. That might have turned things around for them.

I game exclusively on PC and I've never even heard of GOG. Er, I think I heard of it like 5 years ago, but I don't remember anything about it. What kind of games did they have?

Disappoint.

Good old games.

And yeah that's really sad news. :(

The GOG version of Fallout 1 and 2 was the best.

The GOG version of Fallout 1 and 2 was the best.

Totally agreed. I am very sad about GOG, it was the best service for... well... good old games. They are right: being DRM-free is very hard. Publishers usually don't like that concept and, let's face it, probably a lot of people started pirating GOG games.
In my opinion, some kind of DRM is necessary to stay alive. Steam is the only acceptable model, to me. Also, GOG was selling old games tinkered to work on new operating systems. That was a great added value. Is Steam doing the same?

That sucks, it was a great service. Only ever bought 1 or 2 games through it, but it was great that they actually went to the effort of making everything compatible with modern OSes and shit. Honestly though, I can imagine there wouldn't be a steady demand for these games, so it's not entirely surprising.

Man, that seriously sucks. Never used the service but loved what they did.

This news just shit all over my day. These guys were doing GREAT work for the gaming community. I really wish they would have at least given us a little notice as I would have bought a bunch more games before they disappeared. At least we still have abandonia for much of what I at least loved about the good old days of gaming.

I just heard this on Joystick. It's a sad day for PC gaming.

Edit: Crap, so it's like FileFront.

hmmm according to gaf it sounds like CDP has called an EGM with another company so it sounds like some sort of takeover or something =/

I think I have a few games I needed to download from them that I bought! anyway like said, Steam should buy them out. lets make a facebook page!

Hm, never heard of this "gog" before, can someone enlighten me what it was about?

OK, that was a pretty effective stunt. You have to hand it to them.

so it was a stunt? hmph... :|

EDIT: nope gaf is still making this sound like some type of major restructuring of some sort

I've gone this long without GOG, I can live without them more. I guess this was a way to get people back to buy shit from them, but..ehh...

So um, unless they changed the message on the front page...

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.
Doesn't really mean they're shutting down. A restructure seems likely, maybe renaming/relocating to another address. I mean, the amount of people in this thread who don't know what GOG means makes that seem like a good idea. :p

Maybe they'll come out with a client/account model just like Steam. Not really DRM-free anymore, but totally reasonable. Just, don't shut the service down: it was a great digital delivery platform for old titles, stripped of their original DRM systems, tweaked to run on new OSes and most of the times cheaper than other DD platforms (the few times they were on them).

**** I bought a bunch of games from them but never kept backups of the installers, goddamnit, I hope they fix it soon so I can download all my titles and keep them for backup this time around.

Relax; they did say they have plans to make it so that people can re-download games they have purchased.

EDIT: Oh, I guess you know that already, and are annoyed with the lack of current availability; sorry.

Yeah, no worries, I've read posts too quickly when replying a few times myself.:)

From the official site:

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to [email protected] if you're a media representative or to [email protected] if you're a user without a GOG account.

At 0:13 you see Baldur's Gate. The mystery thickens. Is this really a PR stunt, Valve-style?
I think Valve's previous misrepresentation of facts has always been out of stupidity, not trying to pull PR stunts.

I think Valve's previous misrepresentation of facts has always been out of stupidity, not trying to pull PR stunts.

Come on, Valve *loves* when fans begin neverending speculations over hints, innuendos and half-truths. They are master of we-will-never-tell-you-the-whole-truth-about-our-upcoming-games, but I love Valve nevertheless.

Come on, Valve *loves* when fans begin neverending speculations over hints, innuendos and half-truths. They are master of we-will-never-tell-you-the-whole-truth-about-our-upcoming-games, but I love Valve nevertheless.
There's a difference between giving hints and innuendo to intrigue people into speculation and making it seem like you're going out of business to get publicity.

Back