GTA V announced

"Let's bounce!"
"''Bounce'. .... We're 'bouncing' now."
also DAT DOG

Can't wait for GTA5, really worried about the multiple character thing though. The best part of GTA is sort of "becoming" your character. Most GTA game have good character dev (for me anyways). It was always cool really connecting with him and rooting for his shitty life to get better. Made me want to play more. Kind of takes that part of it away when there are 3 people. I guarantee everyone is going to have atleast one or two characters they absolutely hate. The one balding guy looks like a dirt bag. Sweaty armpits n shit. Then again he could be the 'good guy' bad guy. Who knows.

Not at all, no. Think.
Okay, have we seen a game yet that is a multiplatform release which takes advantage of high end PCs, and is appropriately scaled back to run on consoles? Do you disagree that such a game would tip the balance toward PC sales?

Unfortunately there are no statistics comparing the sales between consoles and PC for multiplatform releases, since apparently digital distribution isn't tracked. This article attempts some estimates based on the statistic that 75% of PC sales are digital. With that article's estimate, it seems very possible for a game to surpass console sales on the PC, especially if the PC version was so much better.

But, this would require the developer to actually put forth the effort of creating high quality content that they know half their market is not going to be able to see. Which like I said, is not going to happen.

Pretty much all games of recent years would take advantage of high end PC's and just be scaled back for consoles as all platforms get developed, in a way, at the same time. Developers are not making 3 games, one for each platform, they make one game that is optimized at different levels to run on each platform.

For example, all of the textures we build on most wanted where all created in at least 2048x2048 scale wise. We then scale this down for each platform, pc 1024, console 512 or 256. Normal maps and specular maps would be half of that.

There is Screen Space Ambient occlusion on the pc version which is not present in the consoles, better wet roads, better resolution, Lod distances increased, 60+ fps, better everything.

With the process being so flexible in terms of scale and graphics quality the only thing really holding back your precious pc is time, money and piracy.

The money is in consoles.

On the other hand, the minimum spec determines the fundamental complexity that your game will allow. On the other hand, the same goes for the PC platform itself.

Also, why am I not impressed by this at all? Even the narrative. It just looks... a little stupid.

I'm purely interested in the tech (not graphics) and sandbox in GTA games.

I only really find sandbox interesting when it's MMO sandbox like EVE, Shadowbane etc. Single-player or small group is just dull.

Sometimes I wonder what impresses the good folk of Valvetime.net

What more could you want from Grand Theft Auto?
PC exclusivity forever with a collector's edition fleshlight modeled after a hooker's c*nt and a million dollars and complete creative control of everything Rockstar does in the future and a pat on the back to validate their existences.

Personally I would have liked IV to be something more like Vice City HD than Forza With Guns: Ragdoll Edition. It was still decent, but it just wasn't fun.

I loved the car handling in GTAIV - It had just the right amount of control and skiddyness that mad it feel like an old skool get away movie with every car chase. Really cant see what's not to like.

I'll take a little stupid any day over the super grim realism of GTA IV.

I must be one of the few people that really enjoyed the realism to IV. I'm ashamed to admit that IV's the only one I've ever bothered to complete and I imagine it was that factor which kept me hooked.

Yeah, I've been really slack in terms of forums for a while! Wasn't sure I was at the right place when I got re-directed to valvetime!

New screenies:

actual_1364387583.jpg

actual_1364387676.jpg

actual_1364387711.jpg

actual_1364387769.jpg

actual_1364387804.jpg

actual_1364387839.jpg

actual_1364388019.jpg

actual_1364387879.jpg

actual_1364387917.jpg

actual_1364387976.jpg

source: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/49181/sunsets-seas-skies-and-so-on.html

Now that I've seen these screens I'm not sure how this is going to run on my PC. If they do release it for the PC and it's anything like the GTA4 port I may just pass on this... As awesome as it looks.

Yeah 2k/Rockstar's decision not to make it for the next-gen systems is a puzzling one, I suppose it's been in development too long to get that done in a reasonable time frame. AC: Black Flag and BF4 are being released on all five platforms. Actually, Black Flag will be on six platforms (WiiU).

Yeah, I've been really slack in terms of forums for a while! Wasn't sure I was at the right place when I got re-directed to valvetime!

Good to see you back, Drackard.

Next-gen systems aren't a proven platform yet, whereas everybody has an Xbox or a PS3. It'll probably sell much more than whatever MS/Sony would pay them to put it on the new ones.

In tangential news, I've forgotten if we've heard anything about a PC version for GTA V. Is it emotionally safe to expect a day 1 PC release?

Is it emotionally safe to expect a day 1 PC release?

I don't think there's been any official word, but given Rockstar's past tendencies, I think its safe to assume there's going to be at least 1yr between console and PC release.

I don't think there's been any official word, but given Rockstar's past tendencies, I think its safe to assume there's going to be at least 1yr between console and PC release.

No word about a PC release, but Rockstar did mention that they don't like splitting a release so far apart and ruining the story for PC uses, hence Max Payne 3 coming out almost simultaneously.

Also, GTAV boxart is being "unveiled" right now...

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=549714&st=0

3M0Mlhd.jpg

Did anyone else think that was two different images?

At first glance, I thought the taxi half was an actual GTA V screenshot.

Advertising real-world products on GTA taxis would be a terrible kind of genius.

TONY DANZA FROM WHOS THE BOSS SAYS

AAAAAA YYYOOOO AAAAAAA YOOOOOOOO OOHHHHAAAAAAAAAA AAAA AAAA OOO

Oh cool a fruit-based Apple parody, haha. Smart phones, what's up with that shit? Rockstar you never cease to be on the bleeding edge of relevant cultural satire.

Ten bucks says the launch for this game will be a disaster.
Not because of Rockstar.

Because of gaming.

Back