GTA V announced

Quote from R* official site:
"We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California. "

Looks like its only Los Santos. I'm hoping the other cities will be added as DLC.

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but San Andreas' marketing initially only showed Los Santos.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

I wonder if the surrounding hills and countryside will be based off of San Andreas, too. Some people claim that's Mt. Chillard or whatever it was called from GTA:SA in the trailer.

Eh, I suppose it could mean that. Or it could just be showing the characters you're going to be working for/with. Maybe you get to pick at the start or something? Dunno if I'd like multiple protagonists unless they were in different games/DLC's.

Yeah I'm not ready to buy that it'll work that way in the main game. More likely they'll just repeat the same DLC trilogy thing from IV (I'm led to believe that was a fairly lucrative move). It'd be weird if the narrator there wasn't the main protagonist, unless they're going to release a trailer for each character.

Just hope they add new areas with the DLCs this time.

I wonder what has become of Grove Street?

Can't really see much but looks possibly maybe legit.

UjsAz.jpg

In retrospect the complete lack of detail should have twigged me.

I wish they were covering the SF Bay Area instead of SoCal

San Fierro would look way too similar to Liberty City with the new engine.

wait i dont remember what "slightly" means anymore, is that what "slightly" means?

Couldn't find an earlier thread, so bump:

• According to Rockstar, Grand Theft Auto V's Los Santos is bigger than Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto IV combined. Yep. There's wilderness, a military base, and even an ocean floor to explore underwater.
  • You can switch between the game's three main protagonists at "nearly any time."
  • Those three protagonists, by the way, are named Michael, Trevor, and Franklin. Michael is a retired bank robber who gets sucked back into crime; Trevor is a career criminal and drug addict; Franklin is a 20-something street hustler.
  • Sometimes they'll work together on missions, during which you can switch back and forth from character to character depending on which part of a given mission you feel like doing.
  • Each character has his own personality, skill set, and group of friends to interact with. And the ones you're not controlling will go off and do their own thing.
  • This is the same world as Grand Theft Auto IV and Liberty City, so you might see some recurring characters from those games (just not the major ones, like Niko Bellic). But. Rockstar says this is the "high-definition" world of Grand Theft Auto, so don't expect to see anyone from the PS2-era titles.
  • Remember those randomized dynamic missions in Red Dead Redemption? They're back forGTAV: expect hitchhikers, muggers, and dead bodies, among others.
  • Yes friendships. No romance.
  • Rockstar says there will be an economy, but you won't be able to buy properties. There will be "loads of other stuff."
http://kotaku.com/5958949/rockstar-...ead-redemption-san-andreas-and-gtaiv-combined

Screens:
vtYjQ.jpg

PsPgR.jpg

h67Eo.jpg

HZ89K.jpg

RoyMK.jpg

nB2VM.jpg

6j3Xz.jpg

uZscr.jpg

pPo6P.jpg

PP9un.jpg

p4mx8.jpg

emv8l.jpg

All sounds quite cool to me, hoping the size of the map lives up to what they're saying it will be! Not sure how playing as 3 characters will work, but I have faith in Rockstar to pull it off.

Hopefully we get PC at the same time as the console launch too!

Saw that yesterday. Read March 2013, got excited then I remembered it's the release date for the consoles.

Hopefully we get PC at the same time as the console launch too!

Apparently Rockstar stated they have no info to share, so nope.

Hey guys, glad to see so much enthusiasm about the release announcement. For those asking about the PC platform, we're currently focused on the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game and don't have any details to share about a PC version at this time. Anyone that continues to spam the comments section will have their commenting privileges suspended.

I'd rather wait a year for it to come out on PC than wait 2 years for it to be playable. March 2013 is going to be an awesome month for entertainment in general. Game of Thrones and now this... Can't wait. At least I still have a 360.

Yeah I'd rather wait for a nice working port rather than a rushed one. I'll probably pick this up for my PS3/360 because it looks like it'll be fun. I don't see how some of those screen can be from a console though. If they are they're doing a good job!

Certainly looks held back by consoles. Looks detailed but those textures are blurry.

Which one of those screens looks like beyond what a console is capable of? There's so much blur you can't even see most of the scene.

This is the same world as Grand Theft Auto IV and Liberty City, so you might see some recurring characters from those games (just not the major ones, like Niko Bellic). But. Rockstar says this is the "high-definition" world of Grand Theft Auto, so don't expect to see anyone from the PS2-era titles.
Then who the hell will we see that will be recognizable or worth seeing? GTA4 had jack shit in the way of a good story or memorable characters. Meanwhile, Lost and Damned was p. cool and never played Gay Tony.

The important question is will I need to have any train-following skills to play this game.

Can't render textures more than 50 feet away... hmm, let's just add DoF blur to everything.

Good god, developers. Please start developing for PCs first, then scale back for consoles.

The first couple "screenshots" don't have the blur. If you think these are all stills from real gameplay footage rather than stylized publicity images (camera-positioned action shots with FOV/DOF settings to make things look more cinematic and exciting), then perhaps you haven't been paying attention to the way game previews have been marketed in the past 5-10 years.

R5ERi.png

Look at the textures on the building on the left. That's at least 50 feet from the guy. Yeah, no console limitations here, folks.

fbIGb.png

Better yet, check out the scaling on the storefronts! Lovely!

Eugh, could almost be a shot from San Andreas.

Textures definitely look rather low quality in those screenshots, my modded GTA4 looks better.

Well my claim about these being super-awesome publicity shots got smacked clear across its face. Let me join in and decry behind-the-times-consolitis. GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE +1

What do you expect?

Building games on 10 year old hardware is going to look as good as pc?! And why would you focus your development on PC when 90% of your revenue will come from consoles.... Why do people not realise that video games are about making money, they are a business.

What do you expect?
It's not about what we expect. Is anyone here acting surprised? We all understand why it looks bad. We've said exactly why.

Building games on 10 year old hardware is going to look as good as pc?!
It can if they start on the PC and downscale for consoles. Like viper said.

90% of your revenue will come from consoles...
Yeah, if the PC version looks like shit.

It's not about what we expect. Is anyone here acting surprised? We all understand why it looks bad. We've said exactly why.

It can if they start on the PC and downscale for consoles. Like viper said.

Yeah, if the PC version looks like shit.

It will do. Textures will be up-resed more effects / post effects / lighting / fancy tech will be turned on. They will be working on all platforms at the same time.

And they will always make more money on consoles, the boxed product costs more to buy and they sell far more copys. Its not because it looks "shit" on pc. Its because that's how the vast majority want / play their games.

I didn't say it wouldn't, but you have to admit 90% was an exaggeration.

And, if the PC version was really stellar, which it should be given the giant leap in tech from those dated consoles, there is a possibility of outselling consoles. But I know they wouldn't do that.

I didn't say it wouldn't, but you have to admit 90% was an exaggeration.

Not if you consider that around 85% to 90% of GTA 4 copies sold were console (with the console sales split nearly evenly between 360 and PS3)...

That'd be a bit disheartening to me if I was a developer especially for the PC version. All that resolution lost on the console peasants.

Back