Half-Life 2 Character ages?

The Kaiser

Reaction score
Well, I don't seem to have been able to find this topic after a small stint, so apologies if this has already been done for a repeat thread.

Anyways, does anyone want to venture a guess on exactly how old the characters in Half-Life 2 are? Gordon's a bit of a strange case with his "stasis" affected age and such, but I suppose we could just keep him at what he does seem to be from pictures, eh.

Anyways, I think Gordon would be around the magic number of thirty. I'm not exactly sure of why, but I think that seems to fit him well enough. He technically would be fourty by Hal-Life 2, but like I mentioned, thanks to the G-Man, he is still the same age as he was in Half-Life. Alyx for some reason I have placed in my head as being somewhere around 23 currently, but I'd be able to go down to about 20, if the situation called for it. She seems to be very mature and such, but still have fun, so I think 23 would fit her nicely as well.

Barney would seem to be around 38, in my mind. I think he was in his late twenties for Blue Shift, or maybe even early twenties, since a Security Guard doesn't have to go to a college or university for years upon years to do what he does. He looks young enough, maybe even a little younger, but I think for him, it'd be 38.

That brings us to mostly just Eli, Kleiner, and Judith. I see respectively late fifties, late fifties again, and middle-fourties for each of them. Being that Eli was around twenty when Alyx was born, or maybe even his late twenties, it fits well within the timeframe, and the same with Doctor Kleiner. Judith meanwhile, seems to be a middle-aged women, neither older than most, but not exactly "young" either.

Most of the ages I just thought of after a while, and I really can't seem to budge them otherwise. Any other thoughts or opinions?

Well, Gordon is 27. That's because in the intro in HL, you given loads of information regarding yourself. Well... not that much actually, but Gordon was 27 then, and I doubt he'd take a year to escape and be put into stasis (slow teleport).

All the rest is pure guessing, because no one really knows how much time has passed since HL. I'd say around 20, so maybe Alyx is 25 (You see a drawing of 'Uncle Kliener' by 'Alix'. Guess who that is?), Barney, like uh... 43. Wacky. Well, Eli and Kleiner are around 50, and Judith is around 40, I guess.

I'd say about 23 for Alyx, 42 for Barney, 45 for Mossman, 56 for Eli, 62 for Kleiner.

How old is Breen? 61 perhaps?

I'd say..

Gordon- 27 (same as HL1) due to stasis

Alyx- Early twenties

Barney- Mid thirties

Eli- Mid 50's

Kleiner- same as Eli

Mossman- Late thirties to early 40's

Breen- Late 50's to early 60's

JDark, Kleiner appears to be older than Eli.

Well, my response was pure speculation...I tried. I'd say early sixties for Kleiner then.

JDark said:
I'd say..

Gordon- 27 (same as HL1) due to stasis

Alyx- Early twenties

Barney- Mid thirties

Eli- Mid 50's

Kleiner- same as Eli

Mossman- Late thirties to early 40's

Breen- Late 50's to early 60's

sounds about right to me

I dunno why, but I think Eli is older than Kleiner.

EDIT: Barney had to be around 20 for the security guard job in HL, so he should be around 40, not 30.

Kleiner isn't as wrinkly as Eli!

Just because Kleiner's bald doesn't ean he's older.

But didn't Half-Life 2 take place ten years after the events of Half-Life 1 (when Gordon was put into stasis by the G-Man and the Combine took over). I was just wondering, b\c if Barney was around 20 or in his mid twenties for that matter then he'd have to be in the thirties unless Half-Life 2 took place more than after 10 years of Combine dominance.

As far as Eli/Kleiner goes...those two are very confusing since they are both quite old.

"Gordon emerges from the darkness, nearly two decades removed from his last conscious thought"

from the ep1 site.
probably 18-19 years passed.

Gordon - 28
Kleiner - 50
Eli - 55
Judith - 45
Alyx - 23
Barney - 40

... speculations. Guessing.

It's kind of impossible for Barney to be anything less than 40, since that would put him in his teens during HL1, which he obviously wasn't. Like what BigBurpCo said.

Anyways, I'll take a stab at it:
Gordon - 27 (From his POV, the events of HL2 take place immediately after HL1, in which his age was stated directly)

Alyx - Mid 20s (She was a toddler during Black Mesa, and assuming that the Combine invaded a few years after, this age range makes sense)

Barney - Early 40s (He's obviously the youngest of the Black Mesa "veterans" aside from Gordon, so I gave him the lowest age possible while still keeping with what I stated above.)

Eli - Mid-Late 50s (That would put him around his mid-late 30s in HL1, which is what the generic black scientist model that represented him looked like)

Mossman - Early-Mid 40s (She looks significantly younger than any of the other scientists, so I gave her this age for reasons similar to Barney)

Breen - Late 50s/Early 60s (I see no reason not to, he certainly looks the part)

Kleiner - Mid 50s (This is a bit weird, since Kleiner is obviously a successor to the generic balding scientist from HL1, yet he hasn't aged a bit in HL2. I give him this age based on appearance alone.)

Back