Half-Life 2 : Substance mod

the 30th level is out! A very small and simple level,it introduced the jeep (the mod did in the 12th). The gameplay is barely touched,this is still an "authentic beach level": the massacres will follow later,as for now the only thing enhanced is the show. The rebel defenses are now a good sniping base: it is up to you if you want to rush into the driving seat immediately or have some time playing with your antlionguard toys and some RPG or crossbow shots. For those whose jeep-driving skills are still at the "dashing from wall to wall" phase,the airboat is now available: more control at the price of less attack power (you can just run over enemies).

Migas: you said level 15,it must be the *.vmt files! Alright,30 minutes and the re-bugfixed 0.30 will be online! :sniper:

the 0.30 is up and,hopefully,this error has come to an end.

the soundpack is going to have an update within the next few days. Explosions,other weapons,enemies: all new and spiced up. Also,in level 1,the prisoner that says "I have a standard relocation coupon" will instead shout "I'm not a number,I'm a free man!"

Xdiesp, You should really think about making it so that you just put the folder into the sourcemods folder, installing it is sort of a hassle, are you going to? Because if yes then i'll wait till you do to DL it, good job by the way, looks awsome.

L337_Assasain: I didn't realize it was so troublesome,I will as soon as possible. Just wait that the "Amenotep" of the credits sends me the compiled work and the mod will appear on steam and everything else.

help wanted
- screenshots of anything you like in the mod are welcome
- if one among you is a real modder,one that understands how to customize a triggers' output just using the console and editing *.cpp files,please contact me!

I haven't played it yet, so I can't say if it's good or not, but I don't actually see what could be cool about it. Is it just that you put more enemies here and there (like instead of 2 zombies in the house you put 5 or in a place where there were no combine soldiers you put some)? Or are the changes bigger?

the 31 is more like a whole world to edit than just a level. I've drawn a map because it's gigantic,tomorrow I'll do it: it will be like a mini story,about a rebel convoy that's intercepted and separated by combines and has to pass a lot of trouble to return to unit of Odessa. Still uncertain if the zombie-infested shacks' role should be enhanced or not,the theme of the level could suffer and I'd to trasmit the feeling of the rebel travel and combine approachment only. Also no thumper will be on,and the rpg will rock.

Stinger: I see no point in these blind speculations,try playing it for yourself and trust your eyes.

xdiesp said:
L337_Assasain: I didn't realize it was so troublesome...
For me, it's really more a case of not wanting to overwrite actual game files. Having it as its own mod simply reduces the possibility of rendering the entire game inoperable.

I will as soon as possible. Just wait that the "Amenotep" of the credits sends me the compiled work and the mod will appear on steam and everything else.
I look forward to it!

INSTALLATION/UNINSTALLATION FAQ

1. how do I install?
extract the zip file in your half-life2\hl2 directory.

2. does the installation overwrite any of my original HL2 files?
no,the only file possibly overwritten is cfg\autoexec.cfg if you have already tweaked the game. If present,place it elsewhere.

3. how do I uninstall?
delete all the extracted files,which are:
\materials whole folder
\resource whole folder
\scripts whole folder
\sound whole folder
\cfg\chapter*.cfg and autoexec.cfg
\save\*.sav

4. does this uninstallation delete any my original HL2 files?
no,they are locked and read safely from the GCF archives as they have always been.

uh-oh,my free webhoster says it won't be so free anymore in a matter of two weeks! If someone wish to partecipate with mirrors or hosting... How can a file be uploaded to fileplanet or filefront anyway?

Migas: I've been able to replicate "the problem" on my machine by switching to english in the language setting. I'm working on it.

Mountain Man said:
For me, it's really more a case of not wanting to overwrite actual game files. Having it as its own mod simply reduces the possibility of rendering the entire game inoperable.

Agreed. I really don't want to overwrite my original game files. This mod isn't getting installed on my machine until it becomes a seperate mod.

Zeus: the FAQ 3 posts ago is just made for you. Anyway,in the evening you shall have your separate directory!

Migas: the damn Level15+ name bug is strange,it only exists for the english version! And for no apparent reason,the same intervention on the italian version works perfectly. Odd,very odd: I've asked for help in the editing forums. As of now,all the levels should be accessible but their names are still screwed up in english.

Can you post here when you finish making it so it installs into a sperate directory?

Looking forward to playing it, but I, like some others here, won't play it until it installs to it's own folder. I just don't trust something that installs into the hl2 folder. :p

You do realise thet you only have to make a copy of the hl2 folder, rename it, and then put the files into one of them.

Then swap them back and forth as you please.

Life is a lot easier when you don't try to over think things.

I just have one question.....does it make the game harder?

Because thats my only complaint about Half-Life 2. the combine were too easy to kill and can't aim either.

how do I begin playing? This sounds great and all - but in the readme it says go to new game and click on such and such.. well I load it and it is the original game, any help?

the complete version is 0.31 is now available for download:
-fully sourcemods compatible
-fully migas-bug fixed

-the 31th level,new sounds and revised gunship + soldier skins are included
-prettier vgui menu

I guess tomorrow we'll also have the level interconnectivity fully working.

Sparta: definitely yes,HL2S poses a much harder and varied challenge than the original. Prepare to kick a$$ a lot,too.

Polar Bear,Xune,Diluted,1337_Assasain: this is your moment! Uninstall any previous HL2S releases you've got and download the latest sourcemods 0.31 version. Just extract the "HL2Substance" folder into your program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sourcemods directory,then go to steam a select "Play Games - HL2Substance"! I wanna hear your feedback,later! :E

Great, I'll give it a go when I wake up, it's 4:21 in the morning here and I need some sleep. :p

I completed it at 6 am and it took 2 hours to upload it on the 56k :LOL:

I like this mod, but is there no way to fix the levelchanges? I hate how loading saves constantly ruins the sense of continuity.

Overwatch: I have the level interconnections patch here,it will be tested and upped with a new level in 6 hours.

Good mod :)

I particularly like the weapon sounds and rof (but not the fov)

It's certainly more challenging and exciting - but damn it makes my x800 xtpe crawl. HL2:Substance has to be the most cpu heavy game i've ever played (even an fx55 crawls)

Maybe in a year or two we'll be able to play it at a constant 60 fps :)

hey i got the version of substance when u first posted i think it was 0.28 or something. Anyway i installed as said putting the files into the halflife2/hl2 folder and it worked. but how do i now get rid of it without deleting my original half life 2 files. And im glad this new version acts like a real mod putting it in source mods :). thanks if u can help me.

Due to new findings,levels 30 and 31 will be updated so that they will support off-shore airboat drive with no instant death.

JimBob: as the Installation/Uninstallation FAQ posted here stated,the pre-0.31 versions did not overwrite any original HL2 file,so if you delete the added files everything will return as before. Check the FAQ for more directions.

Hydra: all you have to do to gain FPS is lower some of your "resolution","detail" or "shaders" video settings. All the levels endure a long performance test (hours long) to get the bare necessary impact on hardware while still contain enough show.

xdiesp said:
INSTALLATION/UNINSTALLATION FAQ

1. how do I install?
extract the zip file in your half-life2\hl2 directory.

2. does the installation overwrite any of my original HL2 files?
no,the only file possibly overwritten is cfg\autoexec.cfg if you have already tweaked the game. If present,place it elsewhere.

3. how do I uninstall?
delete all the extracted files,which are:
\materials whole folder
\resource whole folder
\scripts whole folder
\sound whole folder
\cfg\chapter*.cfg and autoexec.cfg
\save\*.sav

4. does this uninstallation delete any my original HL2 files?
no,they are locked and read safely from the GCF archives as they have always been.

in the cfg/chapter do u delete all chapters if so why cant u dlete the whole file? thatnks for the help.

JimBob: do you mean delete the whole folder? Because it also contains your config.cfg and you'd lose your customized configuration for the keyboard layout and the video.

1337_Assasain: don't get scared by the slightly heavier requirements. I have a geforce5600xt + 512ram + 2.4ghz and play it at 800x600 easily at medium detail,no AS and shaders on low with acceptable slowdowns.

xdiesp said:
Zeus: exactly what is stated in the first post,the original single player with a new gameplay action filled. Not only: variety,complexity,difficulty are all increased a lot. HL2 is wonderful,don't get me wrong,but I have a taste for action that some chapters couldn't really satisfy... (Ravenholm or the airboat). Anyway,everything is being edited,to make it more beautiful if nothing more. Even people who doesn't have HL2 can try the mod by using its HL2demo-devoted version!

Eg. some more enemys

Dasparov: beep,wrong answer! :p Look at this "more enemies" photo from the 32 that I'm editing now http://xdiesp.altervista.org/immagini/32wip.jpg The 32 won't be driving-among-the-antlions anymore,because we've already seen that for 2 consecutive stages and my mod's public likes variety. You will have instead to fight a covered,long ranged battle with underpowered weaponry,along a LOT of teammates,Call of Duty style.

I know it's difficult to believe HL2S exists for real :naughty:

Great mod, but, I'm not a big fan of the doom 3 sounds. I don't really like the way the pistol sounds either. I'm not very far right yet, but I'll comment further when I get farther.

Just got the SMG, and again, not a big fan of the sounds. I believe it uses the CT Assault Rifle sound from CS:Source.

I wouldn't mind hearing some more original stuff, but thats just me.

You shouldn't claim to be adding "new" sounds if you're just taking them from other games :p

Back