Half-Life 2 : Substance mod

Logic: before try and insult me,go read the credits section in the readme. "Soundpack by xdiesp (collected from CS:S copyright Valve + Doom 3 copyright i.d. Software)".

Amorphous: any suggestion about better fitting sounds for the soundpack,published before or not,is welcome.

the complete v0.32 chengelevel edition of HL2 is available for donwload! Features:
-level interconnections: no more "New Game" for every level you play!
-fully sourcemods compatible
-includes 32 levels,the skinpack and the soundpack

xdiesp said:
Logic: before try and insult me,go read the credits section in the readme. "Soundpack by xdiesp (collected from CS:S copyright Valve + Doom 3 copyright i.d. Software)".

Amorphous: any suggestion about better fitting sounds for the soundpack,published before or not,is welcome.
No hostility intended (the tongue poking smiley should demonstrate the light hearted fun poking mindset I was in when I posted), however I tend not to advocate re-appropriation of copyrighted material (in this case sounds), and I think you'll find you're breaching copyright laws, regardless of whether or not you credit the creator\copyright-owner. I guess that's worth a thought, but don't be offended by my posts, I'm not here to make any trouble. :p

I don't think the infinite number of TCs and mods out there that have been using for years textures from other games (i.e. Daikatana's in Quake 1/2) or sound libraries in identical operations (i.e. SOFII sounds for Doom 3) were breaching copyrighted logos. Moreover,CS:S is comprised in the same very pack of HL2,so what would I be stealing exactly in this free fan product? Should I.D. software want back its "ZAP!" sound from the impulse rifle,they'll have it back.

about what i said before do i delete all the chapters in that file then. sry for no quote but im in a hurry.

I still don't understand what in the hell this is all about? I went to the website and there's a load of maps from the game with descriptions of what happened basically in standard Half Life 2...

Can anyone explain why I would actually want to download this and what it does beyond an ambiguous level?

JimBob: exactly,delete them all. You'll find the latest version of the mod to be much more comfortable and easy to install and uninstall,with both the working sourcemods directory and the passage between levels. Thank you!

MrWotsit: the complete 0.32 is the only file to download. In the beginning no changes to the storyline were planned,however with time HL2S has developed a number of own personal features.

Generally,the world of HL2S is still in war time: the combines still need to strenghten their grip on humanity to control it; the rebellion is far larger and dangerous to them; vortigaunt colonizers inhabits very widely Earth under the surface. So you could say HL2S is set more in the past of HL2.

More specifically,many maps have new ministories inserted in them. In example,the 3-4's apartment block is being searched for because rebel refugees are inside: when police finds them in the end,they flee and battle on the roofs. 6 is staged during an unusual "parasite disinfestation" on the trainyard. In 7 while you try your escape along the railroad,a migrating swarm of antlions will too. In 8 you find the rebel outpost still at war,not destroyed. 10 is the first visit to a terran vortigaunt nest. 11-12 see rebel cells scattered and scarce seeking for refuge. In 13 they reorganize and counterattack. In 14 (17 in the original) the vortigaunts of another nest upgrade your airboat to the armed version. 16 happens in a post-war enviroment. 17 has a completely new Night of the living dead setting,plus it has a powerful combine fallback under the rebel pressure. All Ravenholm is now more Racoon-city like,and the rebels from Black Mesa East escape through it chased by the army. 31 has the complete ministory of a rebel convoy split in two that must rejoice with the others at New Little Odessa. 32 sees the retake of a fallen rebel beach-base.

features of the next installment of HL2S complete version:

-the gunship and alyx skins have now reached their final form http://xdiesp.altervista.org/immagini/gunshipskin2.jpg http://xdiesp.altervista.org/immagini/Alyxskin2.jpg
-the new metrocop skin by Toby Bamford updates the old one
-the Black USP is now brown and black
-the irifle is louder and badder
-the grenade's "tic!" sound returns to standard

the 33th is just now being edited. What do you think of the FOV 90 and the view_weaponfov 74? As of now,the "void" around the models is not seen at 90%,but the percentage could grow by sacrifing the view on the weapon. Would you prefer that?

I just played this mod (up to the second chapter) and I thought it was great! But the loading times can be quite lengthy. I found myself waiting upwards of 5 minutes for a loading time (in the normal game its like 20 seconds)

Zeus: for what I've heard,it's because with the sourcemods method the cache files must be rebuild all over. As if the game was now running for the first time again. There must be way to avoid this,let's hope someone finds it out.

A bug concerning no-sounds effects for both the shotgun and the irifle has been reported,if you experience the same please tell me. Screenshots needed,the credits want your name!

Started the download (although I'll have to resume it at a later date, damn my sleep-demanding body)- sounds an original concept so I decided to try it out. I'm obsessed with editing the original HL2 experience myself- it's interesting how different the most linear sections feel with different enemies or NPC placement.

it's all about what you want to happen in the game.

After all,a level is a box (landscape/rooms) with toys inside (npcs/enemies/objects/weapons). You play with the toys,not with the box. The problem is people usually buy by the box...

xdiesp said:
features of the next installment of HL2S complete version:

-the gunship and alyx skins have now reached their final form http://xdiesp.altervista.org/immagini/gunshipskin2.jpg http://xdiesp.altervista.org/immagini/Alyxskin2.jpg
-the new metrocop skin by Toby Bamford updates the old one
-the Black USP is now brown and black
-the irifle is louder and badder
-the grenade's "tic!" sound returns to standard

the 33th is just now being edited. What do you think of the FOV 90 and the view_weaponfov 74? As of now,the "void" around the models is not seen at 90%,but the percentage could grow by sacrifing the view on the weapon. Would you prefer that?

Looking good :)

(didn't like the fov tho)

I've contacted the mod teams of Black Mesa Source,Boone's End and Off Limits to ask if I could host some of their models in HL2S.

I'm also trying to contact the guy behind the bullet time mod: the problem is he didn't include an e-mail contact in that readme. I know the effect of his mod is perfectly reproducible with a simple console command,but for what I want to do he still could be the most informed one: having the bullet time consume AUX power.

I'm also searching for a gore mod.

while doing the 33,I found that "physcannon_maxforce 539" makes you be able to lift wrecked cars with the GGUN while not risking to raise (thus crashing the game) a jeep/airboat/apc

so long to any reply,hidden here. Prove me I'm wrong!

After all this time since I had to do the impossible to take back the armed airboat from level 17 to 14 without triggering any script,I discovered how to do produce one!
ent_fire airboatname enablegun 1
What's more,the apcs were in the beginning pilotable: now the only things that work when you are inside one is the zoom.

The mod isn't bad. I don't much care for some of the new model textures (Alyx's day-glow outfit in particular is hidious; the Combine don't look too bad, though).

And is it me, or do these modded levels take an obscenely long time to load? It seems the load times are almost tripled over the standard game.

Downloaded Substance today. Nice! More intense, tho' it really does make my system crawl :| . One thing, though - don't change things just for the sake of it. Alyx's skin looks worse, the Combine death .wav is out of place, and the Doom3 sounds for the pulserifle suck. Valve already got that kindof stuff right :) though I didn't like their default SMG sound either, and changed it, so I guess it's all down to individual preference. Plus, the gunship textures look really organic, good job.

Pretty sweet,

Jondy

Mountain Man: the long loading times problem never happened before I had to switch to sourcemods because of whiners that obsessed me that "the mod is not really a mod without sourcemods" and that "you're gonna overwrite/delete my original files! (FALSE! but they didn't listen). And so now the old level cache is gone and each level must be run as it was the first time you were doing it. While I search for infos to repel this problem,the first coutermeasure will be releasing both a complete sourcemods version long loading and a non-sourcemods version fast-loading and whiners-free. All this time,however,an alternate method to this has been downloading the single levels from their pages: copy those savegames to your \SAVE directory and your done. Thas the pure substance of my mod.

Jondyfun: I agree the old Alyx skin was cartoonish,check some posts ago for the new one. The new ar2 sound is the upcoming 0.33 is also scarier.

all right people,I'll ask you something. The "cache" of a level builded the first time you run it are those files in the \hl2\maps folder,right? Or is there something else? The simple answer to long loading times then should be copying it from hl2\ to hl2substance.

I'm just uploading the complete 0.33. There has been an unforeseen development: the ability to lift wrecked cars without the fear to crash the game by loading a jeep or an apc. The theme of the 33th level is "the streets of doom".

Congrats on Mod of t'Week!

One thing I wanted to ask you xdiesp - would it be possible to alter the accuracy of weapons? I'd love a more skilled approach, where headshots do even more damage, and the smg/pulse rifle/Combine were more accurate. It would make you think more tactically about health and cover, which is what the Combine AI is supposedly designed to work best with - a player that doesn't rush in guns blazing.

Not that there shouldn't be any of that, it's all good fun, but an element of necessary caution would be nice.

-jondy

the gun accuracy is beyond me but the different body parts damage isn't. Yes,I could make head shots more deadly. Not to have the player going in blazing with his guns,I already find many cruel ways: try the 32.

the not loading level 30 bug has been fixed and this and other bugfixes will be available tomorrow in the new patch 0.35 patch.

A revised metrocop skin is on its way: if you own really detailed photos of Pinhead from Hellraiser,Edward Scissorhands or a Borg from star trek (I need the black body),please contact me here. Also,a metallic "shrrrrrieeek!" sound (as blades one against another) is needed for the crossbow shot sound. Again,if you have heard one that could fit this description in a game you have installed or elsewhere,please contact me. Thank you!

also tonight I'll start downloading different speak languages from steam: then I'll put together an experimental language pack to make people in City17 speak look like they come from all over the world. The problem is that,politically correct wise,having the combines speak german and breen's monologues russian could be seen as an act of warfare!

it was one of you who asked for more 357 action? Can't find that post... Anyhow,the new 34th is for him! A little High Noon at the car graveyard. Soon to be released as the single level only on the site. Please wait for the complete 032 to 035 patch tomorrow,that will contain the 34th and the 35th as well.

version 2, anyway xdiesp after unistalling all the old 0.28 version i still have the weapons held out far infront of myself when playing hl2 how can i put this back to norrmal.

JIMBob: maybe you didn't delete the autoexec.cfg file,you need to edit the parameter "viewmodel_fov 71" inside to "viewmodel_fov 54"

there's a thing I never mention about Substance: it has MUCH MORE GORE than the original HL2. Level 26 starts with a Silent Hill quote: a hellish room with deads,zombies,corpses on fire and blood all over the walls. The 35 I'm completing now even starts with 2 combines setting fire to some civilians (!). Oh,yes,I forgot I'm "just adding enemies" (...)

The 35th is ready,it only took me 4.5 hours to edit it... It's the one where you are on the bridge structure and go turn off that trigger and then the gunship comes. This stage had 2 crossbow situations in the original: now the full first go through it is adapted for long range combat (however you have all your usual weapons full,too,but the crossbow is inevitable). Remember,the bridge structure is there to offer you cover but also to hide enemies. They will all be patrolling around,but I spawned them mostly deaf so you won't have them all against at the first sound you do. Yes,this means stealth. There are 3 choppers in this level: they will start firing at you just when you can rush safely to one of the little houses on the bridge. Do that,pick up the missiles and destroy the first 2 or just 1,if you want an extra challenge with the gunship in the end. If you take cover and use distances,this 35 is easy; if you go rambo,you won't even be killed,you'll fall down the bridge and goodbye.

Story wise,this bridge was a place for gruesome executions: all the prisoners of Nova Prospket that weren't turned into stalkers came here for their "last flight" - this explains some intense gore scenes included.

Zeus: copy your "\half-life2\hl2\maps\" directory and paste it into the "sourcemods\hl2substance\maps\" directory. A jump to lightspeed in loading times.

Back