Half-Life 2 : Substance mod

Just installed it. As soon as i load it up in steam it just says 'Hl2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'.

Is this a common error?

send steam an e-mail telling them if they don't fix it soon you will hack them

New Weapons?

This is a stupid question but are there the new weapons in the vanilla campaign too? I'm only at the Water Haz.... Level so far..... But if you have used Savegames for Substance this shouldn't be possible:eek:

hl2 substance vanila doesend have savegames.
it does have the new weapons and hev-forms.
:sniper: :monkee:
okay?
hl2:substance uses savegames because there are alot of npc's added
hl2:substance vanila doesend have that because there are no npc's added.
it's just hl2 with extra weapons and hev-forms

come on guys, i would really like his email adress, i need to ask him some questions, and i cant believe vavle f***ed up all third party mods [except gmod for some reason [knock on wood [can you do brackets in brackets in brackets?]]] well how is progress going on the mod? any new stuff?

well substance seems to be [i hate to say it] dead! xdiesp must have gone to WoW a little early. im sure someone with his mod can tell me taturana's addie, i did heaps of stuff and i need him to help me with the rest.

kaotik_stalker said:
well substance seems to be [i hate to say it] dead! xdiesp must have gone to WoW a little early. im sure someone with his mod can tell me taturana's addie, i did heaps of stuff and i need him to help me with the rest.
lol.
CHECK THE NEW FORUM!!!
ARG!!!!
dude what is wrong with you.
i told you befor there is a NEW FORUM
XDIESP is working on the BETA RIGHT NOW
SUBSTANCE ISEND DEAD
and he tried WoW but didn't like it.

phew i thought that it had claimed him, oh well. i have something that might help, its a war of the worlds sound pack for half life 2 i just dl'ed it and i will take a look at what its got. ok it has some ambient street sounds and sounds for the strider but none sounded like the "aloooooooooh" from the movie maybe you guys should dl and see, its on hl2 filefront.

Guys, I'm having major problems with it. Ever since Steam had a makeover, Substance has been lagging and crashing in places it NEVER has before... :(

There's NO excuse for it... :(
When it's not crashing when loading between levels, it acts like I'm playing on a 500MHZ every other level.

The first crashing issue came after I got teleported in Kliner's lab, went threw that door and it loaded, and crashed.
Several times it's crashing when I look over towards the Citadel where Barney is telling me about.

It NEVER...NEVER crashed there before.

The latest crash occoured between level loads, after putting the car batteries in that thing and that platform goes up and you can drive under it and into the tunnel.
It keeps crashing at datacache.dll for some reason.

I have resently done a "full system maintence" thingy on it. Spyware/Antivirus Scans, Defrag, Scandisk...you name it. So there's no excuse. :(

1.2 won't fix the problems I'm having with 1.1d. It's just a new version, not a patch. :)

it will
xdiesp told me himself.
and if problems will arive,
there will be a patch to fix it
so 1.2 will fix everything

10 days ago we returned working on the 1.2 at full force and we're now at the final bugfix before the beta release for public screening. I'm sorry for my months-long absence,but there was really nothing I could do without progresses in our actual coding...that we now have.

we couldn't leave this record-lenght topic to be surpassed by someone else! :D

if it wasn't for a single bug I found five minutes ago,the 1.2 beta would be available now. As soon as we have it,I will start my work on the savegames: if you browse this topic back in time,you should find that it usually takes me about 3 days to get all the levels done. Intro,installer and menus won't be available at first: I'm still discussing some details over them

:flame: we've got it now! :flame:

let me do my 13.30-16.30 neuropsychiatry class and as soon I'm back here,I will pack the public 1.2 beta with some savegames

I'm in deep sh1t,the file is 110 megs and I don't know how to upload it anywhere...

EDIT
I'm cool again,the mod database should host us unlimited webspace...maybe http://files.moddb.com/?search=t&mod=4846

EDIT2
still waiting for the file to be "validated" by moddb... Anyway look at this:

HALF-LIFE 2 SUBSTANCE GOLD brings you:

- 3 different gamemodes for the campaign: Italian Extreme (aka our nightmare mode),Gordon Tales (the campaign with the extra npcs),Survivor (you have halo shields and health is pratically zero through the game: if you don't manage it well with the life leeching tecniques,an error too many done in the canals could prove fatal only in the citadel) but there also the mix-ups like the Survivor Extreme.

- 5 different HEV FORMS (our class system): Gordon Freeman,Liquid Snake,Solid Snake,Big Boss and the bonus form Gray Fox (unlocked when you complete the game once)

GORDON FREEMAN
primary ability: HEV Shield

(Use the HEV Shield to increase your defense against enemy attacks (all new shader fx!).
secondary ability: Flashlight
weapons: punch,crowbar,stunstick+friendly manhack spawner,pistol,mp5+grenader (it uses normal grenades,and enemies throw and leave many more in 1.2),dual combine ball launcher,covenant grenade,jackhammer+turrett (the gun can be left on the ground,the bug with the citizens is fixed),quad free fire rpg,bugbait+antlion spawner (they follow the normal bugbait,so you can have your ants army anywhere),berserk ggun,explosive-stuffed proximity headcrab (you have to kill headcrabs to collect and stuff them! The explosion doesn't hurt you anymore)
profile: Gordon is a guy smart enough to play defensive and use all kind of tricks to cheat his enemies,primarily the friendly units he can repair or build

LIQUID SNAKE
primary ability: Killing Spree

Killing Spree! All the weapons in the game now deal massive damage.
secondary ability: Akira
Akira warps the laws of the physical world for you to exploit them (it's like the Punch Bonus of Doom).
Bullet time bonus: no more bullet time jump,now the effect has an all new shader and matrix-like graphics (the scrolling letters!)
weapons: punch,tazer,desert eagle,AK47,HK23,Vulcan minicannon,super shotgun (can be loaded with either 1,2 or 4 ammo!),cluster flaming grenade (new fx!),quad free fire rpg
profile: Liquid is a terrorist,armed or bare handed (Liquid can throw barrels and boxes so hard they kill enemies) all he knows best is how to deal damage in a short time (with extensive use of bullet time!)

SOLID SNAKE
primary ability: Stealth Camouflage

Enter Stealth mode to evade your enemies and approach unaware foes (new shader fx!). In 1.2 when Snake gets hit,he loses some aux power so you really have to watch your steps!
secondary ability: Fortune Device
Fortune's Device emitts a powerful magnetic blast that destroys your surroundings (and kill combines) and deviates incoming bullets.
Speed Bonus: extended jump is disabled,however Snake is the only form that doesn't suffer any speed losses from the new CS-like weight system that makes you run slower when you embrace a bigger gun!
weapons: punch,knife,silenced pistol,silenced famas,silenced crossbow (notice a common theme?) with 3 arrows: normal-fire-explosive,gravity gloves (they ragdoll enemies as the superggun,but you need to be so close that you can *touch them*: as you were choking them!),the slam,chaff grenade (converts people to your side and against each other: if thrown over a platoon of combines,you will see them slaughtering each other!),quad free fire rpg
profile: Snake is a silent assassin,one of the HEV Forms more fun to play. It's like a mix of the alien and the predator,only with an almost MGS-like stealth management. Please note that if you weaken them a bit before with the famas,later you can mass-gib a whole small room of combines with the fortune device...and the bullets of their friends won't hit you for some seconds afterwards! Great for melee combat.

BIG BOSS
primary ability: Morfine Shot

Morfine makes you healtier but also defenseless while its effect last. Your best friend in Survivor Mode.
secondary ability: Nightvision
Switch on your nightgoogles to explore your surroundings in 2 different viewmodes (one more MGS-like,the other more Splinter Cell-like - all new shaders fx).
crouch ability: Mimetism
Keep down for a few seconds to activate your mimetic capabilities and hide into the landscape. A smaller version of Snake's stealth,useful to hide when recovering from bloodloss (your second best friend in Survivor mode).
weapons: punch,hunting knife that leeches life (your third best friend in Survivor mode),free fire scoped desert eagle,flaregun (new fx),scoped tranquillizer shotgun,AWP (with embedded bullet time!),scoped bigger jackhammer,scoped OICW (Big Boss is a great sniper...),cluster flaming grenades,stuffed headcrab,quad free fire rpg
profile: Big Boss is an infiltrator and he knows that the way of the predator is best played from afar using precision,caring for your own safety above everything else.

GRAY FOX
primary ability: Unlimited Stealth
secondary ability: Unlimited Fortune Device

weapons: Progressive Knife (a katana that gibs enemies instantly),dual combine ball launcher
profile: unlocked when you first finish the game,the best at melee and gore.

the generic change log is so wide I might very well forget something:
- ammo and health stats are ported from level to level,nevertheless the gamemode;
- no weapon works the same as in 1.0,from firerate to firemodes;
- houndeyes and bullsquids (now they actually do harm) look better and new fxs;
- new model for the assassin (it's really an assassin now!) and new shader for her invisibility;
- new blood and gibs code! Bodies splatter blood wherever they are thrown and are disintegrated in a rain of gibs every time you kill them with a damage high enough (does work with shotgun and the physcannon as well: the citadel is a fragfest,really gruesome)
- you will now battle stalkers as well;
- striders can be taken down with normal guns,if you are out of rockets;
- the covenant grenade is now both sticky + timed + smoke;
- new flametrails for the flaregun;
- no more blue grids in your sniper scope;
- updated training maps with lots of messages to learn everything you need;
- a manual written in comic stripes by artist LKL!
- a new intro and a new outro,with MedicDance performing the Gman!
- the inventory is much more polished now: if a form doesn't have a weapon,you don't see it at all;
- jeep superggun bug fixed;
- invisibility bug fixed;
- some more performance tricks (even if Substance has still system requirements comparable to the Lost Coast :D );
- new sounds and synth skins (they DO NOT replace any fakefactory's skins: you can play both mods at the same time);
- new musics for the hev forms;
- new "insert cheat" option in the menu;
- everything is more difficult now;
- no weapons are unlimited anymore;
- "player precision system": the crosshair disappears progressively if you run or stand;
- fixed training map not showing explosions;
- New "Choose your HEVForm" menu
- Last but not least: if you reload during bullet time,you hear the same max payne 2 "woooosh!" effect and your gun reloads at high speed!

henkjan, I think your getting the 1.0 version. That version is there. I don't see the 1.2 version yet.
xdiesp said:
EDIT2
still waiting for the file to be "validated" by moddb...

no,no,no,it's the 1.2 without savegames because the friend that uploaded it to his webspace didn't have enough to fit it with everything. The final 1.2 will probably reach 200 megs. Download at will!

Um, dude. I just downloaded it. The installer says it's 1.0. The readme says it's 1.0. And, during the install, I saw saved games.

I downloaded it from moddb. The link you provided. :)

I downloaded it, but I think I screwed up. I removed the other "hl2substance" folder. When I ran the game, the menu had;
Open Console
Options
Exit

Is it supposed to be like this? Where's the "New Game", and "Load Game" options?

BeaverMon: it's my little exploit to avoid the beta being played by anybody else but testers. You have to type "map<hit space bar>" in the console to load a level. The savegames and everything else will follow within the weeekend

that would be beta material,we have a Splinter Cell Spy-like model

Back