Half-Life2, Your IP Address and the DMCA

S

sPaG

In a post here regarding IP's being transmitted to VALVe, I came across this ignorant post and would like to clear a few things up with you people who think you are "anonymous" on the internet.

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
What the fudge can you do with an IP adress? absolutely nothing. Unless you find the correct ISP and pressure them to give personal info/details about their customers. Now that sounds awfully familiar: RIAA tactics. This is a Software company they don't have the power.

Ohhh, quite the contrary. Look kid, do your research before you go making uneducated posts on this subject matter. Let me help you...

Half-Life 2 or any other form of digital medium is protected by the DMCA. (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) Signed into law by President Bill Clinton on October 28th, 1998. The DMCA protects the intellectual property of the original author(s) work in ANY medium. This includes, music, movies, and even more so... video games.. especially source code and working (warez) video game distributions.

You can read the official DMCA PDF document here.

Furthermore, a federal judge ruled (back in January) the RIAA and MPAA was granted authority to subpoena ISP's due to copyright violations protected by the DMCA. Verizon was the first ISP, required BY LAW, to release personal information to these corporations and has officially appealed the ruling but has failed to overturn.

I would also like to point out that Half-Life1, Half-Life2, and all games modded on this engine are now updated to use the latest Steam System by VALVe. As an Information Systems analyst and Programmer, I spend my entire life and career working in this industry. Aside from the company I work for, secure, and develop for, I also have a personal home network with dual firewalled systems and can verify "Outbound Network" access is required to play Half-Life games over steam. Whether you like it or not, your IP is being sent to the VALVe Steam Auth servers upon running Half-Life, and quite possibly Half-Life2. Again, I re-iterate, their games are specifically built in this manner.

Now, does this mean they will do anything to you? Actually, no.. probably not. Unlike the RIAA or the MPAA, VALVe has nothing to really "lose". (At least, not in the sense the RIAA does) They are going to make money off this product whether you like it or not. Where as, the RIAA/MPAA is losing money daily, monthly, and yearly. They are desperate and resorting to other tactics to "scare" or bully their own consumers in to submission. Irony it seems, they have declared war on the very lifeblood of their business. This does not apply to VALVe, as they are in the business of designing games and are still working on their "investment" to generate capital. They are in no way, as desperate as the RIAA/MPAA to take such drastic measures against people who have download the Half-Life2 Demo, even IF it is transmitting IP's to the Steam Auth servers.

So can VALVe really do anything to people with just an IP address? Yes they can. Just as the RIAA and the MPAA did and do. It is the same thing and even worse in my opinion. the DMCA gives them this right and the federal court has officially, legally, and permanently (until appealed and overturned) granted organizations or companies like VALVe to subpoena providers and fully press charges.

But VALVe wont do it. They know, just as well as I do, that you are going to buy the game. The beta isn't a full working game anyway. Many of you are still not satisfied. Finding this information is incredibly easy. I have so many connections and experience "underground" it's blatently child-like easy to acquire Half-Life2 or any other form of digital medium. But like many of the very few out there, (Kudos to the rest of you who share my views.) I will not tamper with, run, or play this "hacked demo". It isn't "leaked". This was a theft, please address it accordingly.

In conclusion,
As much as I personally hate the RIAA and the MPAA and their blasted DMCA, I have always felt at war with them due to "censorship" on my rights to have digital copyrighted music or movies on my computer. This statement made without the assumption it's illegal; is irrelevant, but simply pointing out censorship spills over legal territory. For those who are interested.. you may join the cause in supporting the distribution of a new P2P technology called a "Brightnet" using the "OFF System" developed over at TheBigHack.org. The theoretical guidelines and system design are posted, and "WhiteRaven" is currently working on the official RPC protocol document and official software.

Digital Douwd formally wrote a letter to the RIAA insisting a the cease and desist of all law suits and distributing 16,000,000 US dollars to repay the consumers they litigated. They had a short timeline to comply before the deprecation of the RIAA and complete eradication of their assests and business models would be LEGALLY exploited. I would go in to this further, but this is not the time and place. And unfortunately, it's a whole new subject in itself.

If you are interested, please follow the links above. If you are intelligent, you will be able to understand it. Otherwise, I suggest you keep your uneducated opinions to yourselves before you go making "stupid" assumptions and statements on a highly unstable subject matter such as this.

It sure would be nice to see the look on your face when you were officially taken to court by VALVe, and saw I was right. But that probably wont happen.

You think Valve is gonna file law suits against people who want to play there video game? lol.

still, it could :)
thats what scares me the most...the potential is there
they might all get on a list...

I think Valve wants the leaker, since I would say 99% of the people who have downloaded it will buy it anyway.

Well, all that is shown here is that anyone who might play the leak, better not play it while on the net.

Forget the leaker! Valve's going straight for the fans throats on this one. :)

Another ignorant poster. Re-read my post. It is legally within their bounds to do it. Do I think they will? No.

Get the facts straight kid.

exactly. The last think Valve would ever do is attack its fans. Im sure theyd rather not waste the money on court fees to get a few people in trouble for downloading something they accidentally didnt secure tight enough in the first place. Wooo. long sentence. Great read Spag, but I dont think Valve would take joe schmoes to court. All were trying to do is get our hands on something real. And we have. Now its not our fault, its the hackers fault.

well, if the so called "beta" connects 2 a valve server, just unplug ur networkcable :|

then ur fine

Meh. Singers sue people who listen to their music... pretty much same thing. But it's not too far from the truth by saying that they brought this upon themselves. I mean I didn't know it was so easy to do all this. And if I'm wrong, then VALVe was just careless, no?

Valve was not just careless, they were plain stupid.

If you buy the story that is.

But that does not justify anyone DLing the leak.

Im not sure I buy the story yet Gilgamesh. Not everything adds up. I think Valve is up to something very stanky here. Lets just wait and see.

lol, spag, you sound like the type that likes to hear yourself talk. It was a nice read, but the air of "I think I'm smarter than most and I'm writing a novel to proove it" made me chuckle. People don't have to proclaim that they're intelligent if they actually are. Maybe you're unsure of yourself? ;)

Originally posted by razorblade kiss
Im not sure I buy the story yet Gilgamesh. Not everything adds up. I think Valve is up to something very stanky here. Lets just wait and see.

I think so, too. Thinks just don't seem to be adding up correctly. Most games are internally leaked from beta testers. And why would Gabe be so careless with this game? I'm seriously beginning to think that this could be a wild PR stunt. Other than the Source Code...
But why aren't they announcing the state of the game? I think your fancy Steam has a big part in all of this drama, especially the delay.

-Ghost.

The last thing Valve would ever do is attack its fans.
So holding someone accountable for their illegal actions is now considered an attack?

The halflife beta DOES make registry entries, ive red somewhere.
Could that be a bad thing?

Hey sPag, that was a good and intelligent post, but man, how many years of stretching did it take to be able to kiss your own ass?
;)

"The halflife beta DOES make registry entries, ive red somewhere.
Could that be a bad thing?"

Most programs do that, so that means very little or it could mean a lot. Depending on what entries it's making.

But if you create a ShortCut in widows you create a registry entry. No biggie.

Originally posted by Wazi
lol, spag, you sound like the type that likes to hear yourself talk. It was a nice read, but the air of "I think I'm smarter than most and I'm writing a novel to proove it" made me chuckle. People don't have to proclaim that they're intelligent if they actually are. Maybe you're unsure of yourself? ;)

Wazi, while I respect your opinion, that was not the intent at all. I am so sick and tired of all the uneducated, ignorant, flaming posts all over these boards. I wrote a novel.. sure, but is that what it will take to help people 'understand'?

I am not proclaiming i'm intelligent or better than anyone. Only those that think they are completely invulnerable to the world (childish mentality) and those who make comments about issues where they have no leg AND ground to stand on.

I gave you all facts. I gave you all links and information to read. I did my research, did you do yours? I'm not unsure of myself.. I have nothing to prove to myself. I am comfortable with what I know.

But thanks for expressing your opinion. It IS valued.

Originally posted by eclipxe
Hey sPag, that was a good and intelligent post, but man, how many years of stretching did it take to be able to kiss your own ass?
;)

LOL! :cheers:
Too many my friend. Too many.

sPag - what I think both wazi and I were trying to get across is that your post had a "holier-than-thou" tone to it, due to all the qualifiications you listed, etc. It sounded somehwat like a resume. I agree with you though, you made some good points.

Point well taken.
However, there IS a lot of information. I believe I summed it up quite nicely for you. Believe me, there are too many arrogant people out there already, and my intentions and posts are meant in a good way.

I see your side. I would say the same thing. Unfortunately, that's what happens when you make such a large post and call people "stupid". I was well prepared for that when I made the post.

:cheese:

well if u d/led the beta and want it off you computer, and make it irrecoverable, use cyber eraser, they wont be able to recover it

The point is, IF (I repeat, "IF") VALVe, really wanted to press charges, "recovering" a beta isn't what they would do. It's not necessary. If Half-Life2 (Stolen Beta, and or compiled Source Code) really transmits data to the Steam AUTH servers, they have all the proof they need. And believe me, it's very easy tracking down where (most) IP addresses originate from.

The RIAA has done it 261 times. :flame:

Trust me. TRUST ME. Valve would never press charges, or sue people for downloading a Beta. The last thing they want to do is hurt there reputation in the community. Vivendi on the other hand? Sierra? Thats another story.

Agreed. But oh man... it's so incredibly feasible, it's not funny. It would just take a few lawyers and a lot of work to sue the pants off all their customers. Unless you're the RIAA/MPAA.. nobody is stupid enough to commit suicide like that.

But please keep in mind, my post was meant to clarify how legally possible all of this is. Not that it will happen.

Originally posted by sPaG
In a post here regarding IP's being transmitted to VALVe, I came across this ignorant post and would like to clear a few things up with you people who think you are "anonymous" on the internet.

Ohhh, quite the contrary. Look kid, do your research before you go making uneducated posts on this subject matter. Let me help you...

Half-Life 2 or any other form of digital medium is protected by the DMCA. (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) Signed into law by President Bill Clinton on October 28th, 1998. The DMCA protects the intellectual property of the original author(s) work in ANY medium. This includes, music, movies, and even more so... video games.. especially source code and working (warez) video game distributions.

You can read the official DMCA PDF document here.

Furthermore, a federal judge ruled (back in January) the RIAA and MPAA was granted authority to subpoena ISP's due to copyright violations protected by the DMCA. Verizon was the first ISP, required BY LAW, to release personal information to these corporations and has officially appealed the ruling but has failed to overturn.

I would also like to point out that Half-Life1, Half-Life2, and all games modded on this engine are now updated to use the latest Steam System by VALVe. As an Information Systems analyst and Programmer, I spend my entire life and career working in this industry. Aside from the company I work for, secure, and develop for, I also have a personal home network with dual firewalled systems and can verify "Outbound Network" access is required to play Half-Life games over steam. Whether you like it or not, your IP is being sent to the VALVe Steam Auth servers upon running Half-Life, and quite possibly Half-Life2. Again, I re-iterate, their games are specifically built in this manner.

Now, does this mean they will do anything to you? Actually, no.. probably not. Unlike the RIAA or the MPAA, VALVe has nothing to really "lose". (At least, not in the sense the RIAA does) They are going to make money off this product whether you like it or not. Where as, the RIAA/MPAA is losing money daily, monthly, and yearly. They are desperate and resorting to other tactics to "scare" or bully their own consumers in to submission. Irony it seems, they have declared war on the very lifeblood of their business. This does not apply to VALVe, as they are in the business of designing games and are still working on their "investment" to generate capital. They are in no way, as desperate as the RIAA/MPAA to take such drastic measures against people who have download the Half-Life2 Demo, even IF it is transmitting IP's to the Steam Auth servers.

So can VALVe really do anything to people with just an IP address? Yes they can. Just as the RIAA and the MPAA did and do. It is the same thing and even worse in my opinion. the DMCA gives them this right and the federal court has officially, legally, and permanently (until appealed and overturned) granted organizations or companies like VALVe to subpoena providers and fully press charges.

But VALVe wont do it. They know, just as well as I do, that you are going to buy the game. The beta isn't a full working game anyway. Many of you are still not satisfied. Finding this information is incredibly easy. I have so many connections and experience "underground" it's blatently child-like easy to acquire Half-Life2 or any other form of digital medium. But like many of the very few out there, (Kudos to the rest of you who share my views.) I will not tamper with, run, or play this "hacked demo". It isn't "leaked". This was a theft, please address it accordingly.

In conclusion,
As much as I personally hate the RIAA and the MPAA and their blasted DMCA, I have always felt at war with them due to "censorship" on my rights to have digital copyrighted music or movies on my computer. This statement made without the assumption it's illegal; is irrelevant, but simply pointing out censorship spills over legal territory. For those who are interested.. you may join the cause in supporting the distribution of a new P2P technology called a "Brightnet" using the "OFF System" developed over at TheBigHack.org. The theoretical guidelines and system design are posted, and "WhiteRaven" is currently working on the official RPC protocol document and official software.

Digital Douwd formally wrote a letter to the RIAA insisting a the cease and desist of all law suits and distributing 16,000,000 US dollars to repay the consumers they litigated. They had a short timeline to comply before the deprecation of the RIAA and complete eradication of their assests and business models would be LEGALLY exploited. I would go in to this further, but this is not the time and place. And unfortunately, it's a whole new subject in itself.

If you are interested, please follow the links above. If you are intelligent, you will be able to understand it. Otherwise, I suggest you keep your uneducated opinions to yourselves before you go making "stupid" assumptions and statements on a highly unstable subject matter such as this.

It sure would be nice to see the look on your face when you were officially taken to court by VALVe, and saw I was right. But that probably wont happen.

OWNED

it finally got to me :( but i deleted bout 30 mins after i got it, just wanted to check it out a little, then i deleted it and ill erase it permanetly, i do have a firewall though. And yes, it would be stupid for valve to sue its customers

Trust me. TRUST ME. Valve would never press charges, or sue people for downloading a Beta. The last thing they want to do is hurt there reputation in the community. Vivendi on the other hand? Sierra? Thats another story.

It will only strengthen their reputation if they went after the hacker and all the people who knowingly and wllingly downloaded stolen files. How would it hurt their reputation? IT'S THEIR GAME! YOU SHOULD PAY FOR IT!

I would stand totally behind Valve if they subpeonaed EVERYONE who has the stolen beta on their HDDs. Just like I stand behind the RIAA for going after everyone who had downloaded MP3s from other people onto their HDDs. YOU WANT IT? BUY IT! STOP STEALING!

LOL! Please don't go in to paranoia. The chances of something like that happening is slim. It would be a desperate measure by a desperate company. Much like the RIAA.. they are losing a battle they can't win. VALVe, on the other hand, will make tons of money. Maybe not as much as they WOULD HAVE, provided the source wasn't stolen. But don't worry yourself to death over it.

Oh, and not to scare you.. but changing IP's wont do anything either. :dozey: Most IP's are assigned automatically through DHCP from your provider anyway, but the fact of that matter is, the ISP knows it, and the RIAA knows the ISP knows it as well. Even if the IP changes.

:eek:

I swear everyone here is some sort of paranoid freak.

The only people to get screwed over are MAJOR users. They only go after the big fish to make a statement. The fact that there are around 2 billion small fish would make their job WAY too large.

Plus, use a program like peer gaurdian :) Blocks all known hackers/fbi/police Ip's checking your IP when you are downloading.

Oh, and only the big P2P networks are being targetted, such as kazza. The REAL P2P networks such as the edonkey clan have been left alone for now.

And finally, havn't 99% of all cases been against US citizens?

"The REAL P2P networks such as the edonkey clan have been left alone for now."

If you think those are the real P2P networks, then I am sorry to inform you those are kiddie networks.

If edonkey is kiddie.... what the hell is Kazaa?

So what r the REAL P2P networks?

Fair enuff, it is. I use it alot.

I thought u were gonna say kazaa was great and i was gonna kill u.

Ever heard of Freenet?

It's infrastructure is strictly based on getting around censorship in other countries, like China. And it's in-use and proven to work anonymously.

Don't tell people to install garbage like Peer-Guardian. You are mis-guided, and mis-guiding others as well. This "program" of yours wont help you on P2P networks. Even a firewall. Please don't make me explain it, because you know I will.

Back