Halflife2.net Community Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

IchI

Reaction score
Its only an idea I just came up with, but well the hl2 modelling forums have started to have contests for modelling, some of them are alright and atm it looks like it could be fun. Why not have competitions to get models entered into a mod, just give people a model to model every 2 weeks and see who makes the best one. Then pick this out and add it to the mod. With all the models you have collected you could also start skinning competitions, what i eman by this is provide the community with a model to skin, maybe even unwrap it for them so newbies can have a go. Then do players etc... Then just add it all into one basic hl2 community mod, just a simple death match with loads of random stuff. I think it would be pritty intresting to see how it turns out because the editing side of the hl2 community would proberly be able to provide all the content, it would just need putting together and a bit of coding. Mapping could be done in contests as well. Same with animation, because tbh they really should start an animation section to the forums kinda split everything up skinning, animation, coding, mapping, modelling they should be the sections.

Been suggested a while back, and judging by the poor turn out of both the art and modeling competitions I can't see it being much of a success. The only ones who seem to do much are the mappers and many of those are stuck in CS clone territory :(
-
It's a nice idea n all that, but well, yeah :\

I aint no expert really but I am willing to map something other than crappy CS type stuff.

I know how hammer works and am planning to get up to speed for HL2s release anyway. I would be willing to give it ago if i have the time.

Same here. I'm pretty new n shit but i've been working with/playing games for a few years n at the very least could give help with 2D art n general concept ideas.

I haven't used Hammer in a while but it's like riding a bike i guess and shouldn't take too long for me to get the hang of things again.

Ichi, would that name be from a particular film?? :-D

ok, the point has to be to not go big with the mod, it has to be really small and simple, or it just wont do. second, so far the modelling and skinning contest have beeen different stuff, what if we make it like this instead.

2 week modelling contest, the 3 best wins, and get skinned to go ingame. skinning them could be a contest.

the mod would have to be extremely simple but still fun to play.

here is my2 ideas for all this mod.

1. Space racers. its happening out in space, u start from a space station, and race from 1 end of a asteroid field, to the finish.(could be a different space station?- or a goldbar, whatever.)
u only have guns on the ships, to prevent it from beeing to complicated to code, and not make beeing the front leader such a good thing all the time.

2. Rollercart.

u start at the top of a gigantic spiral several kilometers wide, and a 50 meter big ball is rolling down the spiral , wich is shaped like the outer diameter of the ball, with small soft objects placed out , so that u have to drive your cart down, with the ball following, and you have pickups. stics, and rocks u can throw at your competition. if u get squished, u are out of the run.

all my ideas here can be done with a minimum of different models and skins.

heres another idea that could be fun, i call it:

zombie attack!!!

a train with different weapons positions have to drive through postapocalypse america, with zombies attacking the train for brain.

it wont be as easy as u think, cos the zombies arent as daft as in those italian movies, these zombies are more of the evil dead type, they will be evil and sinister and only have to bite you to transfer the virus of living dead.
they can drive wehicles, and fire guns. they can also take severe damage before stopping to move.

the train takes damage from wehicles crashing into it, and crashing through different stuff the zombies can throw or move onto the track. NO dynamite (it would ruin the game).

so we need carts for the train, if we cooperate on this , we model 1 cart each, with diffenent stuff on,m the 5 best gets to go ingame, and so we need zombies. and maps.

the rest is fairly easy, we can use objects that are in hl2 for statics.

Magnetmannen, you are still been to complex. Just make it a simple deathmatch game, like very very simple. Just add go karts etc... in the maps to have a bit of a laugh. Basiclly the whole point in the mod would be to make it as random as possible, so like one minute your using a m4 then u are using a shrinking gun from some kinda cartoon. Player models would range from george bush to the micki mouse.

If you got all the content from contents this it how I would do it. First of all get weapons, give people the basic idea. Like; "This mod will be having a rocket launcher of some sort, we would like it to have 4 barrels. Thats the onyl rule. Now get to work" Also once theya re finished and the guns are actually modelled get one of the hl2.net members why can unwrap models and make a 2000x2000 unwraped jpg. Then also provide the model. This would get loads of people intoskinning if they didn't have to uvwrap because tbh I hate it,I enever know what to do. But I always wanted to try skinning :( Tis only an idea, but I think it could work in ways.

at the end of the day, just try it. Start a new contest and outline a weapon model. Simple.

I really don't like this idea. Community mods tend to suck badly.. and 'funny' mods are destined to be funny only to their makers if not done well...

Best of luck regardless..

In the early beginning of this boards there was something about a pillow-fight mod no ? ... you guys should make that !!! :p It's just perfect for the HL2 engine and appeals to a large public :) It'll also be fun and small ...

It's a nice idea though to make a community mod ...
You could maybe add characters from mods that are beeing created here .. for example a character from neo-tokyo and some other mods .. sounds like fun to me :)

these things usually always fail, but perhaps with a couple of experienced authority figures leading things we could get somewhere... like me(code/design) and pi|mu|rho(design/modelling/mapping) for example ;)

having not discussed it with my other half i won't promise anything

You make us sound like an old, married couple.

I'll help out (assuming there's enough interest). Just need to agree on a concept.

Ye I have loads of random models that I still have that are not having any use at all. I would rather get some use out of them.

I'll help out (assuming there's enough interest). Just need to agree on a concept.

The whole point is that there is no concept. its basiclly the best, most imaginative models and skins that are provided.

I would gladdly bring it all together as kinda like a leader. But would proberly need some help. Mainly because I am in 2 mods already. I will talk it over with someone else when I get home on IRC if anyone else is intrested in helping out as a leader. It would be good to have one for each section. I can do mapping and modelling, really we need somone who knows something about coding. Even if its just a basic coding for a basdic mod, thats all its going to be. Basiclly just a really weird game with random urrrrr everything, one minute u could be driving a go kart. The next u would be shotting someone with a world war 2 gun. Then maybe u pick up a gun that turns people into pixis. Its all random really. Thats what I am wanting anyway. Just an imaganative mod at its simplist form. Its easy to do and kinda creative. OK, it would be good to have a leader for each section:

Modelling/Mapping: IchI
Coding: ?
Animation: ?
Skinning: ?

Basiclly all these people do is collect all the models, maps, coding etc... from people and put it together I actually might need a hand with modelling and mapping if anyone is intrested. If anyone else is intrested is just basic organisation and collection of models and making sure everyone gets credit for there work then go ahead. Its a good chance for people to make something of something they ahve created. Liek some coder might just code a part where lets say u can have a 0 g car that goes through walls or something, maybe you want it part of a mod but never had the chance because u could never be bothered making a full mod.

As I said if anyone is intrested contact me on quakenet, my IRC name is IchI or IchI^ just /msg IchI hello

I am at school at the moment so your going to have to wait until I get home. If anyone is intrested maybe we can go from there. Get an IRC room up and just start collecting stuff.

btw if your wondering why I am doing this and I am a nobdie in the hl2 community well basiclly nobdie else would do it as its community mod and I am part of the community.... I hope :D

Fenric said:
PiMuRho

how about that one I came up with for the staff mod?

if your making a staff mod, then not much point in a community mod. So like whats happening? At the end of the day its not my community. So at the end of the day I am only trying to organise things because no one else is. Don't think I am trying tot ake control of something.

Can everyone that's interested in helping please join #hl2mod on quakenet so we can discuss things.

That's not a mod - it's a collection of maps and models. You absolutely can't stick bits of code together that various people have done and expect it to work.

Without some kind of overall idea/concept/plan, it's just a mess.

An infinite amount of monkeys given an infinite amount of typewriters and an infinite amount of time could indeed write the complete works of shakespear. However, a small group of mappers, modellers and coders are just going to make an awful abomination that is unlikely to even work.

IchI said:
if your making a staff mod, then not much point in a community mod. So like whats happening? At the end of the day its not my community. So at the end of the day I am only trying to organise things because no one else is. Don't think I am trying tot ake control of something.
meh, somebody didn't read it all properly did he? :p

I was asking Pi if he thinks, since your at a lost for a decent idea, if we should give you the one I came up with I thought the staff could do, this was weeks ago now. It's a simple mod, but lots to do, and the best bit...........

It's not a CS clone or WWII :E

My suggestion -
1. Me and Pi (having both had lots of design and content experience) lead the project.
2. We ask the community for concepts
3. Community votes for vavourite concept
4. Community developers make content

If you want a kind of compromise between what Ichi suggests and what the rest of us think, then you need a mod that is 99% code. What I mean by that is that any fancy weapons and maps can be added with a minimum of fuss.

This calls for a basic idea....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back