Halo Reach

^ I couldn't make out anything they were saying either. Not because I couldn't understand it, mind you, because it was all bland, meaningless pseudo-military jargon.

Uh-huh.

I, like most gamers, dont see why Halo is as good as its claimed.
Aaaaand discredited.

And 'so much' content consists of numerous MP modes and a map creator/editor. Wooo, innovative. Cant think of a single game that has SP, MP modes and a map editor. You dont see FarCry 2 or Modnation Racers fans jizzing over their games.
Far Cry 2 had a fine map editor, but the multiplayer was crap so no one used it. Had they included the ability to create maps for single player, it might have had some legs.

Modnation is a new franchise so it hasn't really had the time or exposure to ramp up any real fan wank. Also it's just Trackmania with a (probably) more in-depth editor, if you really want to get into whodunnit first.

you say that forge and theater isn't innovative, but it has taken three years since halo 3 came out for a game to actually embed a video editing mode and that's going to be in black ops. three years! it should of been the standard back then!
All 3 Skate games have had a video editor you could upload to a website, although it was limited to recent activity since the games are open ended.

If you hate Halo so much, why keep visiting he thread :\

In other news, my friend bought this for me as a late birthday gift and the online play is pretty fun. I've only done one level of the campaign but that seems alright too, better than the other Halo games I've played, seems like it's styled differently than past Halos though, it just seems different somehow.

Why is everyone so excited about pizza? It's not like nobody's ever made that before, right?

****ing sheeple.

Just beat the SP campaign on Normal, it was fun, but MP is really where it's the most fun with good friends to play with.

Definitely thought it was a worth my money anyway.:)

All 3 Skate games have had a video editor you could upload to a website, although it was limited to recent activity since the games are open ended.

this is true, aye. but still, it's a small amount, and when i think of video modes around, none are used as much as theater and i think that says something about how versatile and unique the gamemodes, match types and game options that are in both online and local play are received between people who play these games, then go back into the video and make amazing, funny, interesting and generally fun to watch videos from the unique experiences they come across in halo 3 and reach.

i imagine the skate games community for videos is just people uploading ridiculous 1080's on dannys mega ramp and really, once you've seen that once - or any skate trick - it's not much different the second time.

The skate community videos and pictures were things I actually enjoyed looking at. You would be surprised at some of the things people were able to do. Most of the good stuff isnt a gap trick or anything though.

In any case, the skate video editor was nowhere near as comprehensive as the one in Halo. Was nice to have it though.

hmm, i might have to get behind that then. we play skate 2 alot in our house (or we did, until reach came along) and we're eagerly awaiting a skate 3 party play download.

skate 3 didn't ship with party play which i find truely baffling. i quite enjoy the singleplayer of skate 2 but i get pretty bored after 10/15 minutes, whereas me and my mates will play for hours just ****ing about on funtrack.

*gives up*

Alert the church elders that someone who doesn't like Halo stood against many.

He also had fun poking the stick and watching the reaction.

you've given up because you don't have a valid argument. if you read through the posts, you'll see know one is discrediting you for not liking halo, but instead calling you out on your reasons for disliking the game, whether or not you have played the latest game and where you are coming from you when put down the content in said game.

you cannot answer me, warbie, badhat or anyone else who has quoted you in this thread. you're just a hopeless troll. feel free to go away and spend some time with halo and bring some opinions back - folk long before you in this thread have done the same and no one is jumping on them, maybe that says something about your ridiculous arguments and strangely driven hatred towards nameless and faceless people of the world who enjoy something you don't or sales.

I don't mind anyone not liking the game, but no liking it because it seems cool to do so (like people who hate MW2 for no apparent reason, or just because it's popular) is retarded.

what the hell are you guys even arguing about anymore?
some people like the game, some don't
get over it

what the hell are you guys even arguing about anymore?
some people like the game, some don't
get over it

i don't think it's fair for people to dislike game content because of either a) sales b) the people who play it or c) when they haven't even played the game itself

that's all

Halo Reach Interface

I've played Valve games a ton over the years, and recently thought I would give Halo a try (mainly to game w/ my friends). I find the interface of Halo multiplayer to be pretty archaic and confusing, and miss the TF2 color-coded style that I find much more refined. For instance...

Flag Taken vs. Flag Stolen:
The announcer voice will say either "Flag Taken" or "Flag Stolen" depending on which flag (yours or the enemy's) has been taken. If ANY flag is dropped, it will say "Flag Dropped," but you don't immediately know which flag was dropped. Being new to Halo multiplayer, I feel others have gotten used to this, but I find it needlessly frustrating that the announcer doesn't simply say "Red Flag Taken" or "Blue Flag Dropped." Seems so much clearer!

HUD Color:
No matter if you are on team red or blue, your HUD is always blue, your teammates' names are blue and enemies names are red... if you are an Elite, your HUD will be an ugly aqua, even if you are on team red. I wish the HUD would reflect your team color.

Event Log:
In TF2, it is clearly color-coded so that you can easily see a bunch of red players died (or vice versa), and when you get a kill it is highlighted in white. In Halo, all events are blue and it simply says "Player A killed Player B." Unless you memorize all the names of the random w're playing with online, it's hard to tell if, for instance, many members of your team just got slaughtered or not. You also have to watch for "YOURNAME killed Player B" to see if you killed someone, or if someone just stole your kill.

That's all. Mainly I just wanted to vent. Halo Reach is the fifth iteration of Halo, so why have they not gotten this stuff more refined over the years?

Event Log:
In TF2, it is clearly color-coded so that you can easily see a bunch of red players died (or vice versa), and when you get a kill it is highlighted in white. In Halo, all events are blue and it simply says "Player A killed Player B." Unless you memorize all the names of the random w're playing with online, it's hard to tell if, for instance, many members of your team just got slaughtered or not. You also have to watch for "YOURNAME killed Player B" to see if you killed someone, or if someone just stole your kill.

to a point, i agree it should be RED name killed BLUE name or vice versa, but as you said about people being used to somethings, when a teammate goes down he is replaced with a big red X over his callsign across the map, so it isn't too difficult to match things up on the fly. the callsign has a whole number of different colour coordinations to refer to what they are doing - firing, taking fire, holding the flag/objective and dying/dead. if i see that someone killed someone, i just take a look around the map and look for the red X.

...the callsign has a whole number of different colour coordinations to refer to what they are doing - firing, taking fire, holding the flag/objective and dying/dead. if i see that someone killed someone, i just take a look around the map and look for the red X.

I actually find this part massively useful, but I agree on some of his other points. It is anoying having to get close enough to see the writing clearly for colour.

I don't struggle with it TBH, but then I've always played Halo, so i'm well used to it's style by now.

I also found the jump from Halo 2's multi to Halo 3's quite confusing, they added a load of stuff I didn't know how to use, like those throwable ashtray things, I actually prefer H2 over H3 because of this.

...the callsign has a whole number of different colour coordinations to refer to what they are doing - firing, taking fire, holding the flag/objective and dying/dead. if i see that someone killed someone, i just take a look around the map and look for the red X.

I totally get that being new to Halo multiplayer, I am unaware of this. I did not know the name changed to reflect a specific action - this does seem useful, thanks.

My #1 complaint though, is the stoic announcer simply stating "Flag Dropped," and in my head I yell "which flag dropped? Use an adjective!!" I miss the emotive voice of the TF2 announcer who seems to get more frantic as, for example, the bomb is nearing the checkpoint. I know they are different games though, so some things will have their own specific style.

Anyone else having a hard time hearing the characters speak? Most of the time it's like "FIND KASGIAJBML BRBRBR" "say what now? k I guess I'll just drive somewhere" "good you found the com sat" "I DID!?"

Yeah. It's especially hard to understand when Jun and Catherine speak. Also is it just me, or is Legendary a lot more brutal this time around?

Yeah. It's especially hard to understand when Jun and Catherine speak. Also is it just me, or is Legendary a lot more brutal this time around?

legendary has nearly broke my controller a countless amount of times now. the elites are just so ****ing fast in this game. i slogged through the early missions pretty quickly (though oni base was ****ing hard as nails) but right now i'm stuck right on the last part of the pillar of autumn when you have to go up to the mac-cannon and take over. it's a hallway filled with elites and grunts using a engineer for shields and there is no room to maneuver whatsoever - as soon as you engage the room they're seeking you out.

Anyone else having a hard time hearing the characters speak? Most of the time it's like "FIND KASGIAJBML BRBRBR" "say what now? k I guess I'll just drive somewhere" "good you found the com sat" "I DID!?"
I made a post earlier in the thread about it, and how frustrating it is to those who don't have the greatest hearing(as well as deaf gamers) that Bungie/Microsoft only bothered with subtitles for cutscenes.

Anyway, I've just gotten through the first three missions on Legendary(That is counting the first mission as the one that is only a cutscene, weird of Bungie to do that.)

Only the first two of those are solo, third is co-op:ed only.

Not sure if I'll really bother getting through the entire campaign in Legendary, got so many other games to play so.

Plus, having a hard time to find good players to do co-op with.

I started the game on legendary and it wasn't really a good idea. I feel like I'm not following the plot at all, just getting frustrated.

I'm on the same line with Gargantou. Subtitles on cutscenes only is retarded...

Many of the reviews I've read about Reach have praised the AI. I find this a surprise, the AI feels like the worst thing. Teammates are constantly blocked, actually I'm not even sure if they can attack, I really don't see them since they're stuck or something like that. And the enemies are even worse some times. I left my ally to fire at the enemies with the minigun. What does the brute do? He runs to a vehicle and sits in it as the shotgun, his back facing the minigun and me! :D:D

Well Bakurei, Halo series has always been like that, enemies get genuinely decent/good AI, especially Elites and Brutes.

Human NPCs? Not so much.

I feel your frustration.

I also asked myself earlier when I was playing the campaign first time on Normal, if Bungie intentionally made the ally weapons do less damage than your own/the enemies weapons.

Sure feels like it.

I had to push one of my dudes like 30 feet over to a vehicle to get him to hop in, like ten minutes into the game. I basically gave up on teammate AI after that. Just like basically every other shooter that lumps you in with a team, it feels like a solo shooter with occasional, yet unreliable assistance. Oh well, at least you don't have to revive them every 30 seconds like in Gears of War.

I had to push one of my dudes like 30 feet over to a vehicle to get him to hop in, like ten minutes into the game. I basically gave up on teammate AI after that. Just like basically every other shooter that lumps you in with a team, it feels like a solo shooter with occasional, yet unreliable assistance. Oh well, at least you don't have to revive them every 30 seconds like in Gears of War.

Although I agree that the ally AI is pretty cruddy, you can get them to get in your warthog by honking the horn (pressing right trigger) a few times.

Tried that, he was stuck on some geometry or some dumb shit. Didn't really happen again though, so hey.

After leaving the covenant pylon, does Jun die or go trough another route? The voices are so frigging hard to hear, can't even recognize who is who. Actually what the heck did we even do to the pylon? Just defend Jun while he pisses on it?

I'm actually thinking of just shelling this game. The AI is just so frigging buggy that it eats up all the immersion. Plus I can't hear anything the other dudes are saying, or even recognize who the hell is talking. Why didn't they put more audio configuration options!! Well hell, just one, VOICE VOLUME (not that xbox live talk bs)!

After leaving the covenant pylon, does Jun die or go trough another route? The voices are so frigging hard to hear, can't even recognize who is who. Actually what the heck did we even do to the pylon? Just defend Jun while he pisses on it?

I'm actually thinking of just shelling this game. The AI is just so frigging buggy that it eats up all the immersion. Plus I can't hear anything the other dudes are saying, or even recognize who the hell is talking. Why didn't they put more audio configuration options!! Well hell, just one, VOICE VOLUME (not that xbox live talk bs)!

in nightfall? jun places a charge on the pylon, then you go through a gate, fight through another valley then the mission ends with you and jun getting recon intel on a landing force

personally, i had no trouble telling the voices apart or understanding what was being said. also had no problems with the a.i. except for the usual mishaps along the way but compared to other games, it still holds the crown for enemy and friendly a.i. - in legendary, having someone like jorge around is a great help. the beach assault on long night of solace was done mainly by carter, kat and jorge when i was playing through.

Knut are you using a surround system? Maybe I should try it with my 5.1, the voices should come from the middle speaker. But then again I'd have to buy the special HDMI cable to get optical out, or do some modding...

nope, at my house in uni i'm playing through onboard monitor speakers, so if anything my sound is worse than most!

I don't understand why it's so difficult to make marine AI that isn't too retarded to successfully hop in the passenger seat of a Warthog. How ****ing difficult can that be? I mean, really? You could have a volumetric entity around the seat, in which the marine would be close enough to the Warthog for the get-in animation to trigger. You have a vast open space between the Warthog and the marine. The marine is able to run in directions. The game is able to tell the marine which direction to move.

Make him run towards the seat entity? God, I don't know, I've never coded a game before. I shouldn't even be frustrated about this. But it seems so simple. Are most coders just not that great? Do they get their routines problematically wrapped up in nested logic?

Back