Happy news dot com: Police officer kicks dog to death

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
:(

CALGARY -- Claims by a city cop that he fatally struck a dog while defending his own were disputed yesterday by the owner of the dead animal.

Police, along with city bylaw and humane society officials are investigating the death of Harley, a 31/2-year-old yellow Lab which died following an altercation Sunday night

Doug Shields said he'd just taken Harley off his leash and was bringing him into his house when his pet noticed the police officer's dog two houses away and scurried off to check out the other animal.

"The two dogs were sniffing each other and I thought, 'Great, Harley's just visiting,' " said Shields, 36.

Shields said he was running over to get Harley and took his eyes off the two dogs for a second, the same moment he heard his animal yelp.

"I saw Harley was in distress ... it took no longer than 30 seconds for him to die," he said, adding he didn't actually see his dog being struck.

He said both he and his horrified girlfriend Melanie Dunne demanded the owner of the other, slightly smaller spaniel-type dog stay and give his name and phone number.

"He yelled back, 'I kicked him,' and said he was defending his dog and he walked away," said Shields, standing next to bouquets of flowers left by neighbours at Harley's front yard tie-up.

"To kick a dog and just keep walking and not give your name and number is absurd."

He said at no time did he see or hear Harley attack the other dog.

someone's lying:

The officer kicked Harley once in the abdomen after his dog had been bitten twice, said John Dooks, president of the Calgary Police Association.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/07/08/10062126-sun.html

<insert dog or pig pun here>

-dodo

How the **** is it relevant that this guy is a cop?

Shit, is it humanly possible for cops to get good press instead of just slathering 'I HATE POLICE!' into every article when given half a chance?

please point out where it specifically says "I HATE POLICE" in the article ..or anything even remotely negative towards cops

It's obvious they're trying to place a negative emphasis on LE, the fact that the man is a police officer is an irrelevant fact and is mentioned in the title specifically. The only reason anyone mentions 'he's a cop' in conjunction with 'kicking a dog to death' is because most people will read titles and maybe skim the article but they'll come away with 'a cop kicked a dog for no reason.'

It's not a slight against you, Stern, I just hate bullshit news like this. The reporter made this article simply so he could say 'COP KICKED A DOG TO DEATH!' It doesn't excuse what happened but it could easily have excluded the fact that he's an officer. It's slander by association.

Well if he's a cop that means he was most likely on duty, so he should get fired.

It's like if some random person walked up to you in subway and smacked you with a bun, you'd flip and tell the guy to **** off. Now if you found out it was an employee, you'd go to the manager to get his ass fired. Same thing.

Being a cop he should known better than to just walk away. He should have given his details

please point out where it specifically says "I HATE POLICE" in the article ..or anything even remotely negative towards cops

please point out where it specifically said "STERN HATES POLICE" in the post ..or anything remotely implying that he was responding to anything but the article.

Zing.

This just in, a Stone Mason has punched his cat.

It's not a slight against you, Stern, I just hate bullshit news like this. The reporter made this article simply so he could say 'COP KICKED A DOG TO DEATH!' It doesn't excuse what happened but it could easily have excluded the fact that he's an officer. It's slander by association.

If you read about a priest involved in a sex scandal , it makes sense not to exclude the fact that he's a priest. These are people who are meant to be role models in society or figures of authority and so it is ever more important to mention when they step out of line, it really wouldn't be news otherwise . From what stern posted its not like they don't try to remain neutral they do state that the guy didn't exactly see what happened .

If you read about a priest involved in a sex scandal , it makes sense not to exclude the fact that he's a priest. These are people who are meant to be role models in society or figures of authority and so it is ever more important to mention when they step out of line, it really wouldn't be news otherwise . From what stern posted its not like they don't try to remain neutral they do state that the guy didn't exactly see what happened .

When's the last time you read "Cop performs duties with exemplary success!".? A bad cop is good for ratings, no denying that. BUT, it's quite relevant if he was, in fact, on duty.

When's the last time you read "Cop performs duties with exemplary success!".?

so ....doing their job properly is news worthy? wouldnt that imply that actually doing the job they were hired to do is a rare occurance because it's news worthy?

A bad cop is good for ratings, no denying that. BUT, it's quite relevant if he was, in fact, on duty.

ratings? you think they invent this sort of thing for ratings? they report the news, I'm sure most other news sources reported the same thing

It's obvious they're trying to place a negative emphasis on LE

where? point out the specific part

the fact that the man is a police officer is an irrelevant fact and is mentioned in the title specifically.

irrelevant? an emergency services personnel leaves the scene of an incident? one that he caused? you dont think that's odd? it's his job to help the public ..he wasnt doing much helping by walking away as the dog lay dying. this IS news worthy despite the fact that you're over defensively defending police officers for god knows what reason

The only reason anyone mentions 'he's a cop' in conjunction with 'kicking a dog to death' is because most people will read titles and maybe skim the article but they'll come away with 'a cop kicked a dog for no reason.'

....but that's what happened ...should they not report that? or should they sugar coat it so as to not offend your sensibilities? god forbid people get angry at police officers when they dont do their freakin jobs.

It's not a slight against you, Stern,

to me? how I didnt write the article. I didnt think you were saying I hate police

I just hate bullshit news like this. The reporter made this article simply so he could say 'COP KICKED A DOG TO DEATH!'

oh come on that's one hell of a stretch ..you're saying he wrote an article for one of the largest media conglamorates in canada just because he has an axe to grind with cops? he would be out the freakin door as fast as is humanly possible. no editor would approve a story that was patently false just to "get ratings" ..this isnt a blog, it's news

It doesn't excuse what happened but it could easily have excluded the fact that he's an officer. It's slander by association.

lololololololol ..oh that's hilarious ..slander by association. You have YET to explain how exactly the police force is being slandered here. Anyways he's an emergency services employee of the city; his freakin job is to provide emergency services to the public.

so ....doing their job properly is news worthy? wouldnt that imply that actually doing the job they were hired to do is a rare occurance because it's news worthy?

I didn't say a good cop is news worthy. I implied that a bad cop will always gain more attention than a good one.

ratings? you think they invent this sort of thing for ratings? they report the news, I'm sure most other news sources reported the same thing

Stories that attract a magnitude of viewers increase ratings...unless I missed something.

I didn't say a good cop is news worthy.

not directly but you implied it.

I implied that a bad cop will always gain more attention than a good one.

why is this odd? why would he get ANY attention for doing his job correctly? I mean do any of us make it the news when we do well at a our jobs?

For example;

"a mail carrier working for 40 years always arrives at work on time and works hard 70% of the time"

OR

"a mail carrier walks into his sorting plant and opens fire on his former work buddies"

one is news worthy and the other isnt news worthy at all

Stories that attract a magnitude of viewers increase ratings...unless I missed something.

yes and how many people would be attracted to

"Police officer does his job like he's supposed to"

really I cant believe some of you are arguing this point. the ONLY explanation is that some people are overly sensitive when anything is mentioned about police officers ...most likely because they're related to one.

not directly but you implied it.

No, I did not imply that at all. You misunderstood.

really I cant believe some of you are arguing this point. the ONLY explanation is that some people are overly sensitive when anything is mentioned about police officers ...most likely because they're related to one.

You might wanna try not reading into my posts looking for subtle implications just because I have defended the police in the past because I'm not defending him in the slightest.

No, I did not imply that at all. You misunderstood.

you implied it when you said this:

Tyguy said:
When's the last time you read "Cop performs duties with exemplary success!".?

you're saying why dont police officers make it on the news when they do a good job

You might wanna try not reading into my posts looking for subtle implications just because I have defended the police in the past because I'm not defending him in the slightest.

I wasnt looking for anything. My comments were mostly directed at Maestro but even you admit you've defended the police in the past so it's really not that much of a stretch to think you'd be doing the same thing here

but that was never my point. I didnt think he was ever talking about me

you're saying why dont police officers make it on the news when they do a good job

Not at all, I'm merely saying it doesn't happen and I wouldn't expect it to. If I meant it how you think I did I wouldn't lie and avoid a discussion. I hate animal cruelty to begin with so I'd never take this cops side in a million years.

The fact that he is a cop is relevant. If it can be proved that he is lying, then he is going to bring serious repercussions upon himself.

A dog that should have been on a leash rushed him and started biting his dog. The cop was also at risk of physical harm. He fought it off, it died.

It shouldn't be hard to figure out his details because the neighbor was standing in his front yard and could have wrote down the address and called the police, or simply knocked on the door.

It doesn't sound like the cop was out of line, and we don't know if the officer even realized the dog died. We don't know jack shit about why he walked away. His dog was injured - perhaps he went inside to care for it.

And cops treat their dogs like police officers. Like, in USA, if you kill a police dog, it's the same punishment for killing a police officer. So basically, if you look at it like that, he was defending the life of another 'officer'.

Back