has the HEV mk.V still got...

Dr0ndeh

Reaction score
the 'brrr its cold!' warning from hl1? remember that bit where you have to leg it through some freezing cold room after listening to a scientist for a bit (and if youre like me kill him once the door is open for taking his sweet time,) i think its just before you get to the lambda section if i remember correctly.

maybe this highly underused part of the HEV suit will be used in ep3 somehow, maybe holes in ice where you can drop down into the freezing sea, or maybe you can hurl chunks of ice at enemies but if you hold them for too long it starts to damage you.

Yes, it takes place in the Arctics. And then maybe there is some room for two in the HEV suit :naughty:

Well judging from the concept art, it pretty much looks like it's gunna be in the artics.

And where, pray tell, are these 'arctics', and why are we taking place in them?

Well I dunno, I'm not saying I know for a fact, I'm just basically saying it's most likely going to be somewhere...well...cold.
Look at the concept are with the advisors and the borealis, with all the ice and snow in the background.

Well judging from the concept art, it pretty much looks like it's gunna be in the artics.

What I meant was that he is saying that the warning is definatly in when no one from valve has said anything at all about it. And for that matter Emp is also right.

all the ice and snow in the background.

Pfft, ur ice and snow in the background. Freaking nub, don't speak. You know nothing. YOU KNOW NOTHING!

Just kidding. Ep 3 might not take place in the Arctic, but it will be a bit snowy since we are going up into a mountain.

What do you mean by 'the warning is defintely in'?

And to Van_Halen:
I didn't say I knew for certain, I said judging from the concept art, that it's pretty much gunna be somewhere like the Arctics.
Although when I say pretty much I basically mean I guess.

The warning about low temperature. You know , the warning this thread is supposed to be about?

I had a look in player.cpp and there are still references to freeze damage, but I think the part which makes it work has been commented out.

And to Van_Halen:
I didn't say I knew for certain, I said judging from the concept art, that it's pretty much gunna be somewhere like the Arctics.
Although when I say pretty much I basically mean I guess.

As I said, "Just kidding."

Well, if there is ice and snow in the background of the concept art, it doesn't mean that the events will be on the Arctic.

A space breaker!!! :eek:

Valve will probably release it when we're all in retirement anyway so we'll probably never know.

That warning only occured once in HL1, and I believe that it wasn't just any old freezing room, but contain tanks full of liquid gas like Nitrogen or something.

The artic might not be cold enough to warrant the temperature warning on the HEV; either that or we find ourselves running from building to building.

Yes, there are. Ever heard of Siberia or Greenland?

and i would love to see Crysis-style running into flames. But made by the player.

Buildings in the arctic?

If the concept art I have seen is anything to go by, there is definitely some of those hungry combine buildings. Around the Borealis anyways. But as we all should know (write this down if you need to..) 'concept art is not an indication of finished product'.

Also, Mossman was inside a building during her little transmission when we first see the Hunter. That couldn't have been too far from the Borealis. To get back on point though, I hope there is some cold-weather-affects-gameplay type thing going on. HL2 needs some new gameplay mechanic to keep me interested.

Gordon falls through a glacier

Yeah, that would be an interesting dynamic. Do I drag my broken body forward by sheer willpower or use my only unbroken arm to shoot the creepy crawlies that want to kill.

Or do I let them kill me? That would be my choice if I were in Gordon's shoes.

i like the crysis flame idea....

btw...if i remember correctly there were vortigaunts and headcrabs in the freezer in hl1. so perhaps well be fighting zombies in... snow suits... with vortigaunts... and alyx (who had better put something a bit warmer on than just jeans and that light leather jacket otherwise the ENTIRE game is going to be that crysis scene where you have to move from flame to flame but instead of saving prophet you'll be saving alyx... i could see this mechanic possibly being used however (but with flames created by the player like that one guy said) when you get really close to the borealis... could help explain why it hadnt been found until recently...

and just something to think about... how would a significant drop in sealevels as seen in HL2 affect the polar ice caps... or maybe the combine have made the planet colder and so the ice caps have expanded (which would make for a shorter heli ride at least :) )

I don't remember a specific point in HL2 or the Episodes where you are exposed to extreme cold.

Well, if there is ice and snow in the background of the concept art, it doesn't mean that the events will be on the Arctic.

Ah yes, the entire Borealis beached itself on a mountain...
You have fun with that idea.

has anyone noclipped to the borealis from white forest (kinda like with the arctic base from the citadel)?
i did... its very dark there as opposed to where mossman was so perhaps the borealis is actually in an underground(ice?) cavern?

Back