• 2006 Toyota Yaris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2006 Fiat Grande Punto

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
I am in need of your services Helplife2.net.

Now that I have left Uni and am actually making money, I'm going to throw a good £5k at a new car.

Why? Because since my 17th bday, I've been driving around in a silver one of these;

peugeot_205.jpg

A Peugeot 205 from 1985. Just to put its age into perspective, the car is one year older than me. Thats right. For the Einsteins out there, I was born in 86, making my current car 24 years old. Ish.

****CARS HAVE BEEN REMOVED AS A CHOICE HAS BEEN MADE****

Thread still continues though.

What are you looking for specifically?

4 doors a better choice for you, or are you really just wanting rear seats?

I do like the Golf. It looks nice and has a lot of room. Reliable as hell, from what I've heard.

DON'T GET A YARIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Mini's have some pretty good damn handling, and they feel nice. You'll look like a fag, though.

NO HOTLINKING!

And based on looks alone, I say the Astra for something subtler, or the mini cooper if you want to impress faggy people.

Personally I'd go with the Mini Cooper, but I think you should ask yourself what is it about each of the cars you've listed appeals to you (and what you don't like about each of them).

All those car choices make you sound like a young adult female.

I'd go for the Swift. It has a pretty damn good mpg and it's really good to drive, as well as being pretty spacious.

I'd advise strongly against the Suzuki Swift. Absolutely vile to drive, feels like your driving around in a tin can.

I personally hate the Mini Cooper, the steering wheel makes a high pitched whirring noise constantly which is really irritating.

You've probably already done research on it, but I'd recommend a Ford Focus. Not too sure what the new models are like but I drive around in a 2000 Focus and its never let me down, fun to drive and has pretty reasonable insurance. MPG seems alright to me, rarely fill it up to be honest.

I'd go with the golf or the A3. Mini cooper is nice, but very very gay.

Golf. I've got a Mk4 and I'm a shit driver who can't use the clutch carefully but it still hasn't broken on me at all.

It's also the best looking of the lot.

My first choice would be the A3, and the Golf second. I think Audi's look slick and sophisticated.

Of the ones you posted, this looks like the most badass car.

28lv3ma.jpg

I mean look at it... it looks as light as air. Does it have flight capabilities? You could totally prank your friends too, because you'd be driving along and they'd be all... WHOA, how is he moving like that? OH NO WAIT he's in a car... I could just barely see the frame because it was so unobtrusive.

And you'll have little to fear about being T-boned, one of the most damaging types of car accidents. When drivers are racing towards you they'll see that red octagon door and think, "OH SHIT, I NEED TO STOP."

The swift is a really nice looking little motor, really into the new fiesta tho.. should look into them! Might be able to find a second hand one.

new-ford-fiesta-thumb.jpg

Loveleh

That white ring around the window is bugging me.

Yuck, certainly none of those. That should help narrow it down at least!

The Mazda 2 *Demios in other countrys...* is REAL slick lookin'.

mazda2-sport-edition-fit-for-fun-img_11.jpg

Good luck servicing those Japanese cars. They might last a while but the parts are expensive and hard to get.

Stick to European.

Of the 4 cars I've had, 2 have been Toyotas and they have been as reliable as anything. Never once had a problem with them. Until someone wrote the first one off. But then anything would seem reliable after a Rover and a Fiat.

I voted for the one that looked the best which is also the one I've traveled at 220kph in. Diesel FTW.

I would offer advice, but I'm a woman, so I'd better not. You know, just in case you get scared of my imminent superiority.

I would offer advice, but I'm a woman, so I'd better not. You know, just in case you get scared of my imminent superiority.

If you got an opinion, I'm sure he'll listen ;) After all, he's gotta impress the ladies.

I take it you live in Europe... see how I only know what a Vauxhaul is from watching Top Gear.

Ford Focus. I've heard good things about them and the more they sell the better things get for Ford. ;) Looking out for my own I guess.

What are you looking for specifically?

4 doors a better choice for you, or are you really just wanting rear seats?

I do like the Golf. It looks nice and has a lot of room. Reliable as hell, from what I've heard.

DON'T GET A YARIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Mini's have some pretty good damn handling, and they feel nice. You'll look like a fag, though.

Ok, if you're going for the Golf make sure you get the TDI. Bulletproof engine and amazing on gas.

The GTI 1.8T is known for failures.

Stick with the TDI, 2.0 or VR6 if you're going for a GTI.

http://www.gazeta***/files/256651/delorian1.jpg

You're right. Using that he can go back in time and get himself a real car. Or the future... I guess... maybe.

Or he could go back and prevent his parents from ever meeting, and thus solve the problem altogether!

EDIT: That sounded mean. Wasn't supposed to sound like that haha. <3

Dont worry, Im not really reading the usual responses Ive come to expect from the vast majority.

Thanks for the replies so far though guys. Really surprised the A3 is the highest so far.

If I get a Golf, it WILL be a TDI. No reason to get any other version of it.

New Ford Fiesta is nice but too pricy these days as its pretty much brand new still.

Ford Focus Zetecs are everywhere for sale, alot of 2007 and 2008 version going for around £5k. Thing is, the Focus is my ''last resort'' as it were.

I actually had the chance to drive one for 3 hours, the Focus that is (2009), to the airport as a hire car. The build quality was incredible. But the ride? I dunno. Everyone says that a Focus has a ride like no other car, and that they had kept that 'special something' when the 2006 version came out, and that they're really common on the roads because they're a great car...but I just didnt feel anything that made it stand out. Maybe thats just my lack of experience in driving 'new' cars.

I was driving a 1.6 version and it just lacked any power. Even my old Peugeot pulled faster. Well, it felt like it did anyway, and that was a 1.4.

I just didnt walk away from that car feeling like I could want it in the future. Not necessarily EVER, but I thought along the lines of ''If I found something better, I would walk away from the Focus''.

Last hire car I drove was the new Vauxhaul Insignia (2009). Now THAT was a great car.

Focus is my last resort if I cant find anything else I guess. Still want to know my other options first.

Don't buy a mk4 golf. They were the worst of all of the generations of golf VW have produced.

Don't hit me, because you've just explained your feelings about it, but the focus is the best car in its group. But, having said that, what matters is your enjoyment and satisfaction of driving your car, so if you don't like the focus then that's good enough reason not to buy one. What version of the focus did you try ? Maybe try one with a bit more power and see if that changes anything ?

A3 is a good car, but a bit bland in the driving dynamics stakes by many accounts and will cost a lot in servicing, so wouldn't be my choice honestly.

Vauxhalls have a bit of a bad rep from the years of making mediocre cars, however their recent efforts have been a vast improvement, so i wouldn't discount a recent astra.

Suzuki swift is a good car. Good value, decent engines and apparently good to drive. As mentioned somewhere previously though i'm not sure how well built they are. I have a colleague who has one a bits of trim and stuff seem to fall off from time to time !

Mini cooper is a very good car. A little more expensive for servicing etc compared to some of the others i believe, but little to fault. Supposed to be a great car to drive.

I was looking at similar cars when i bought my first car, then i bought and old bmw 3 series instead because i fancied something rwd and more entertaining to drive, so maybe i'm not the best person to answer the question !

Is insurance an issue ? If you want something with a decent bit of power and a nice drive, the old shape Skoda octavia vrs is a brilliant car for the money. Ignore the badge, it's great value, well equipped, moderately quick and handles pretty well. And in my opinion doesn't look too bad either.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.

:)

Edit: good shout on the Mazda 2 pitz. If they fall into your price range they are meant to be great little cars. They are built on the new fiesta platform, so very similar in many respects.

Ive been swayed toward the Focus again. Had a good chat with my housemate about my choices.

The Focus falls under Insurance Group 6 (2006/7), sometimes 7 depending on the year. A quick check online and the Focus would insure for about £150 more than my current car, so its not exactly breaking the bank. And I always chose the one-off payment choice, pay it all off in one go rather than monthly as you save about £50. Well, I did anyway. Its not exactly the lottery, but thats a few shops at Tescos haha. Or Sky and BBand for a month.

Ive got nothing against the Focus, I thought it was a great car; great space, really really comfortable, great mpg (I was impressed as I was filling it up to return it at Heathrow). I just couldnt feel the so-called 'special something'. Maybe I had a high expectation when I saw I was going to be driving a Focus when it arrived at my house. I got kinda excited to be honest as I had heard such great things. Perhaps I overhyped it and subsequently overreacted to the slight 'dissapointment' if you will.

But thats more likely down to my lack of experience driving today's cars.

Then again, does any hatchback feel great when you're driving on the motorways and A-roads sticking to the speed limits.

Thing is, because I'm under 25, insurance companies basically all say ''Sorry but you're GOING to have a crash at some point...once you pass 25 you're miraculously immune to crashes though! In the mean time, have this higher premium and pay for my kid to go to Uni''.

Its all based on statistics. Just because chavs buy £100 cars, race them and flip them into a hedge at 17.

5 years no-claims though for me, so insurance is and isnt an issue at the same time. 2 more years and I'm set for cheaper.

Even though I picked the A3, it looks a bit heavy. Have you compared the fuel economy of all these cars yet?

Ive been swayed toward the Focus again. Had a good chat with my housemate about my choices.

The Focus falls under Insurance Group 6 (2006/7), sometimes 7 depending on the year. A quick check online and the Focus would insure for about £150 more than my current car, so its not exactly breaking the bank. And I always chose the one-off payment choice, pay it all off in one go rather than monthly as you save about £50. Well, I did anyway. Its not exactly the lottery, but thats a few shops at Tescos haha. Or Sky and BBand for a month.

Ive got nothing against the Focus, I thought it was a great car; great space, really really comfortable, great mpg (I was impressed as I was filling it up to return it at Heathrow). I just couldnt feel the so-called 'special something'. Maybe I had a high expectation when I saw I was going to be driving a Focus when it arrived at my house. I got kinda excited to be honest as I had heard such great things. Perhaps I overhyped it and subsequently overreacted to the slight 'dissapointment' if you will.

But thats more likely down to my lack of experience driving today's cars.

Then again, does any hatchback feel great when you're driving on the motorways and A-roads sticking to the speed limits.

Thing is, because I'm under 25, insurance companies basically all say ''Sorry but you're GOING to have a crash at some point...once you pass 25 you're miraculously immune to crashes though! In the mean time, have this higher premium and pay for my kid to go to Uni''.

Its all based on statistics. Just because chavs buy £100 cars, race them and flip them into a hedge at 17.

5 years no-claims though for me, so insurance is and isnt an issue at the same time. 2 more years and I'm set for cheaper.

If you want an educated opinion, then I suggest going to www.vwvortex.com and joining the forums. Post in The Car Lounge and they'll tell you.

Very VERY knoweldgable people there. ** Not trying to solicit other forums btw***.

Car Lounge is actually for all car enthusiasts so don't let the site name fool you that it's all about volkswagens.

Back