hit boxes? and other thoughts

dassbaba

Reaction score
What do you think will be different? Obviously all of this hit box business will be different... Since Competitive CS has gotten so precise, i'm expecting Sniping, Shooting, and everything to be very precise. CS (current) is so messed up in terms of hit boxes and accuracy and everything....

I'm waiting to see for precision improvement...

(cs geeks only)
do you know when you scrim... every little thing matters, and HL is a million year old engine, haha... i'm excited to see what fun stuff we can do like, a "fun box" full of fun physics stuff that is dropped before a scrim so everyone can mess around with it, like throw stuff at eachother and whatever

just some random thoughts

:cheers:

I'm sure that Source allows for per-poly or per-pixel hit detection and there will be no more hitbox problems.

I e-mailed Rick Ellis on this subject and he got back to me, explaining that the Source engine now supports cylindrical/spherical etc. hitboxes, rather than the standard cuboids. Doesn't quite explain how they can render skin damage if its not per-pixel-collision like Doom III is rumoured to possess...

But yes, I hope there's a hitbox overhaul. CS really can get a little... irritating at times.

Thanks for the feedback. Is that information posted in the "What we know" thread? but whatever..

haha yes, CS is very irritating.

dassbaba said:
Thanks for the feedback. Is that information posted in the "What we know" thread? but whatever..

haha yes, CS is very irritating.

Yeah, but killing someone with an elbow-shot from the AWP brings a smile to any face, doesn't it? :cheese:

Mediocrity said:
Yeah, but killing someone with an elbow-shot from the AWP brings a smile to any face, doesn't it? :cheese:

Only if you are the one that executed that snipe, if someone did that to me there wouldn't be a smile on my face.
;)

Entr0py said:
Only if you are the one that executed that snipe, if someone did that to me there wouldn't be a smile on my face.
;)

lol, usually when i shoot someones elbow or the air and get like a headshot or something i go "hahahaha gogo cs" or soemthing keke ^_^

Don't you hate it when a bot manages a headshot with a Desert Eagle from the other side of the map.

I hate it even more when a player manages it. Damn guns in CS have a far too random element in their spread/recoil dynamic.

I'd be interested in seeing if CS:S ends up a more realistic game, or literally a direct port; although exploding barrels and suchlike indicate some form of overhaul.

Damn guns in CS have a far too random element in their spread/recoil dynamic.
What, and guns/people don't have this is real life?? If you want a more realistic game, ur gonna have to get used to shooting in wild directions. Unless you think the T or CT ur playing has been shooting all the guns since he was 3 and has never done anything else ....

CS2 should do what Red Orchestra did and make the player rely on the guns sights and not some magic floating cross in the middle of the screen.

There are various games i.e. www.chromethegame.com where you shoulder your weapon for better accuracy, but this is terroist warfare it'd require alot more skill to use the guns sights more.

Kyo said:
CS2 should do what Red Orchestra did and make the player rely on the guns sights and not some magic floating cross in the middle of the screen.

There are various games i.e. www.chromethegame.com where you shoulder your weapon for better accuracy, but this is terroist warfare it'd require alot more skill to use the guns sights more.
if that happened to cs, then i'de have to draw a dot with permanent marker in the middle of my screen. its not that kind of game. its okay for things like CoD, but cs is a completely different game. CoD's all about immersion and things like that, whereas cs is a really fast pased arcade type shooter. i like it btw.

The biggest problem I have in this game is that it's trying to be realistic, but it's totally not

noone carries guns like that... only in the movies

dassbaba said:
The biggest problem I have in this game is that it's trying to be realistic, but it's totally not

noone carries guns like that... only in the movies

It's not trying... it IS more realistic than shooters were when it was first released, even though there are more realistic ones now, a balance between realism and gameplay is the selling point of many games.

Realism is not the holy grail of game development.. Games that are developed that way just aren't fun for the mainstream audience, if you want realism, go outside.

^ well said.

Realism usually encourage camping and simplistic tactics. Fine for single player, but blows online (imo of course ;) )

i do believe it, cs has some of the best gameplay i know.

What, and guns/people don't have this is real life?? If you want a more realistic game, ur gonna have to get used to shooting in wild directions. Unless you think the T or CT ur playing has been shooting all the guns since he was 3 and has never done anything else ....

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that you didn't get what I meant; so I better rephrase it.
If you point a firearm, any firearm, at a point within say fifty feet and pull the trigger, the bullet will not move at a bizzare angle out of the muzzle in real life; it will actually hit the target (at such short range) with barely ten degrees of inaccuracy. In CS, your first shot magically has a radial indicator that hammers it in a random locale in a circular area. Recoil, yes, extreme spread of fully automatic fire, yes, but you can't tell me that guns in real life randomly shift a bullet 90 degrees out of a gun barrel from their first shot.
That's because, despite what so many people seem to think, CS is not a realistic game; it's just a tactical team-based shooter. Although sometimes it feels like it'd be better without a bunch of wierdos hopping up and down on crates...

And yes, ironsights are pretty cool, as long as you're not forced to use them. Shooting from the hip is still pretty enjoyable in my book :D

Ok, I was exaggerating .... but still, if you trying letting off a shot when running you bullets will not go straight, on auto, whilst walking. So in fact the only time you can expect your bullets to be on target is when u've totally stopped, or are crouching. I've been playing CS a while and in those situations I haven't noticed guns that "randomly shift a bullet 90 degrees out of a gun barrel from their first shot" - am intruiged tho - what guns do that 4 you?
And to put my two pence in - i don't want a 'realistic' game either :)

The deagle, mostly; which is something I really don't understand too well. They've given the AK and m1 a fair amount of accuracy in their first shot, which is realistic enough and not overpowered, so it seems that for the most expensive (single) handgun they've made the deagle unfairly inaccurate for balance reasons.

Meh, I'm clearly just bitter about FA... after all the "balance" tweaks over gameplay, it lost its charm in my eyes...

they just need to make the CS characters hold the guns right, it's completely wrong!

Kyo said:

I think hostile intent does that.

Back