HL2 gives too few clues about what is going on.

But not everybody read Raising The Bar and not everybody joins a game community. If you had just been introduced to the series with no prior familiarity, you wouldn't understand.

Well, I for one had pretty much zero memory of HL1 when I purchased HL2 some 7 years or so after the original and quickly put together the pieces at the beginning of HL2 to understand what was going on.

Yes, my initial impression was "what the heck is going on here?".... but that was the intent of Valve when they created the opening chapter of Half Life 2.

After playing through HL2, I did go back and play through the original HL again and in turn, connected more dots than I had originally made.

When I bought Episode 2, I was given copies of HL1 and EP1 to give away to friends, and the friend I gave it to had never played Half Life 1. He was immediately hooked on the game and had excellent understanding of what was going on even though he never played the original.

The only thing I don't get is why the easter egg where the Vortigaunt explains why his people aren't zapping you anymore is so hidden.

It's as if they wanted people to be confused on their first few playthroughs, or until they asked someone about it, who already knew. That's why I'd buy a good Half-life novel, expanding on some of the tiny hints we get in-game, and not having anything to do with Freeman, but still set during the same events. (Episode Four?)

Yes we do. If you ask others around here, they think that it comes through very clear in the game.

So you think the game doesn't tell you enough about the plot because no character comes to you and tells "HEY GORDON! NOVA PROSPEKT IS EVIL BECAUSE THEY MAKE STALKER AND COMBINES THERE".

The game is extremely clear in telling you that nova prospekt is an important combine base and a place where terrible things happens. The true extent of the horrors of nova prospekt are never fully explained- but that's the point. If you need a detailed dissertation on the tortures inflicted to enjoy the plot that's your problem. And it's cool that the game leaves some of it to your immagination- makes the place a lot more creepy.

You can see one citizien being directed to Nova Prospekt at the beginning of the game, and Gordon was going to follow the same end if it wasn't for Barney. It is clear that they do horrible things to people there.

At least it was revealed in "Raising the Bar", where it also was revealed that they had much more plans for showing that during the Nova Prospekt level.

I am sorry... there is a specific page or part where it is said that nova prospekt purpose was to turn people into stalkers and soldiers? I don't rembember at the moment.. I own the book so a quick reminder may be helpful

Where? Never seen that.

Ahw, come on, see, you need to pay more attention. Replay the nova prospekt chapter carefully. Is behind one of the first energy wall you have to disable by unplugging the plug with the gravity gun.

Yes, I agree. But others around here think (as I said) that it comes through very clear exactly what the Combine are doing to humans in Nova Prospekt. I just thinks that it would have been more fun if I would have known what was going on when I played through the chapter.

I don't think it is "very clear". We can only assume people are turned into stalkers there- but maybe they can be turned into stalker in every other combine structure like the citadel. I think it is way cooler to not know exactly what were the tortures involved. Makes the place a lot damn more creepy if you think about it.

Well, I for one had pretty much zero memory of HL1 when I purchased HL2 some 7 years or so after the original and quickly put together the pieces at the beginning of HL2 to understand what was going on.

Yes, my initial impression was "what the heck is going on here?".... but that was the intent of Valve when they created the opening chapter of Half Life 2.

After playing through HL2, I did go back and play through the original HL again and in turn, connected more dots than I had originally made.

When I bought Episode 2, I was given copies of HL1 and EP1 to give away to friends, and the friend I gave it to had never played Half Life 1. He was immediately hooked on the game and had excellent understanding of what was going on even though he never played the original.

I believe I successfully connected every dot there was on my first time through, minus some more minor clues. My issue is the complete absence of other ones, mainly whatever the hell connects HL2 to HL1 except for the vague "Resonance Cascade did something" explanation. True, Valve did intentionally remove the original intro they had planned along with a bunch of other expository scenes. But sometimes I question whether that was deliberate narrative intent or just the result of having to cut it down into a more manageable project. If it was the former, I still think it was a poor choice.

Just to be clear here, I find little at fault with Valve's methods of explaining the plot arc and its relevant information within HL2 itself. The Combine "chapter" of the series, if it can be called that, was easily understood. It was the transition to them as the enemy that was lacking. And it's one one of the few, admittedly minor (if personally grating) complaints I ever had with the game.

The only thing I don't get is why the easter egg where the Vortigaunt explains why his people aren't zapping you anymore is so hidden.

It's as if they wanted people to be confused on their first few playthroughs, or until they asked someone about it, who already knew. That's why I'd buy a good Half-life novel, expanding on some of the tiny hints we get in-game, and not having anything to do with Freeman, but still set during the same events. (Episode Four?)

It is not hidden. If you talk to the vortigaunt that fix the helicopter gun in your boat, well he says the same things. Just press "e" or your use button.

The vortigaunts were another thing I was disappointed in. They're allies because I freed them from Nihilanth? Thank God I pressed my use key on one for ten minutes to find it out.

Their voice change sucked too.

True, Valve did intentionally remove the original intro they had planned along with a bunch of other expository scenes. But sometimes I question whether that was deliberate narrative intent or just the result of having to cut it down into a more manageable project. If it was the former, I still think it was a poor choice.

I think it was the former - at least I hope it was. The train ride they described would have sucked so much out of the game and weakened the overall narrative. Presenting that many things to the player in an opening is poor narrative development especially when you have the rest of the game to piece most of these things together; discovering what is outside the walls of City 17 is one of the points of the coast. You discover as you progress.

Another major problem would have been the length of time spent doing nothing. Gman's speech, getting off of the train and seeing Breen was very clever and intentional on Valve's part. I think the rate of information delivered in that opening sequence is clever and it works - the awful train ride would have been a poor decision I think. It's like taking a piss on the pace.

There's nothing inherently bad about the train ride. The train ride wouldn't have needed to present a cliff-noted synopsis. No moreso than the original did. I quite liked doing nothing. Not saying their original idea was flawless, but I'd have liked to have seen it worked out. Besides, you would have loved to see a Garg owned by a razor train. Admit it.

Players who would lack the patience to sit through it could be given the option of exiting the train doors early and killing themselves. Gits.

The game is extremely clear in telling you that nova prospekt is an important combine base and a place where terrible things happens. The true extent of the horrors of nova prospekt are never fully explained- but that's the point. If you need a detailed dissertation on the tortures inflicted to enjoy the plot that's your problem. And it's cool that the game leaves some of it to your immagination- makes the place a lot more creepy.

You can see one citizien being directed to Nova Prospekt at the beginning of the game, and Gordon was going to follow the same end if it wasn't for Barney. It is clear that they do horrible things to people there.
As I have said many times now, I agree that is clear that they do horrible things to people there. I also agree that the true extent of the horrors of nova prospekt are never fully explained. Which was one of the reasons for me to start this thread, because I think it would have been more fun if the horrors were shown more.

What you seem to miss is that everyone else has countered me with saying that the horrors of Nova Prospekt ARE explained in the game, that it is obvious what they do to humans there.

I am sorry... there is a specific page or part where it is said that nova prospekt purpose was to turn people into stalkers and soldiers? I don't rembember at the moment.. I own the book so a quick reminder may be helpful
Let me cite your words (which I don't think was a good answer) with some modification: "Ahw, come on, see, you need to pay more attention. Reread the book carefully".

Gman's speech, getting off of the train and seeing Breen was very clever and intentional on Valve's part.

Sometimes I try and remember what it was like the first time I played it. What I actually felt. How I responded. What I thought about the game and the things I take for granted about knowing now.

Sometimes I wish I could have my HL2 virginity back D:

There's nothing inherently bad about the train ride. The train ride wouldn't have needed to present a cliff-noted synopsis. No moreso than the original did. I quite liked doing nothing. Not saying their original idea was flawless, but I'd have liked to have seen it worked out. Besides, you would have loved to see a Garg owned by a razor train. Admit it.

I'm sure it would be have been cool but I just think it was too bloated and too long with too much unnecessary exposition in contrast to the rest of the game.

Re the vorts thing: I always thought the reason they were fighting the Combine, at least, was obvious, since the Combine were a threat to all free life on earth including any vorts who were stranded there. The fact that the vort at the start was being used as a cleaner was a good implicit pointer as to how the vorts were being oppressed in the same way as humans.

I felt that went at least some way to explaining why vorts were allied with humans, in an enemy-of-my-enemy way. As for the fleshing out the reasoning any further, just as with everything else I think its clear that Valve wanted us to be all "WTF VOLTABOLT CMON SHOOT MEH?!?" Those that wanted a better understanding would obviously try to talk to the vorts, and then they get their little extra tidbit of info. Pretty perfectly pitched, I felt.

First time I played through HL2, I had no idea what I was doing. Seriously, the only connection to Black Mesa and HL1 I could figure out was that Barney was the representative of all security guards (barneys).

And that was just because I had seen the guards being referred to as barneys in forums and such. Remember that the word barney was never mentioned in HL1, so a person who had just played the game would never realize that Barney in HL2 actually is one of the guards from Black Mesa. Much less a person only playing HL2.

I think Valve gave way too few clues about what was going on. Another example is Nova Prospekt, if the player doesn't look at the right security monitor in the right place (the monitor showing a person on an operating table), he would have no idea about what was going on. And even then it wouldn't be the easiest task to figure out that Nova Prospekt is where humans are transformed to Combine soldiers.

Reading "Raising the bar", it seems like Valve had a lot of plans to give more clues, e.g. the train ride in the beginning was meant to give a lot of info. But it ended up being like 10 seconds.

I'm not saying that I want the plot thrown in my face. But I think the first time playing through would have been a much more enjoyable experience if I would have been able to find out what Nova Prospekt was, why all the Xen monsters I saw in HL1 were around, that there actually had been an alien invasion, etc.

What do you expect them to say. ok i'm going to hazard a guess that your Half life 2 would go some thing like this:

*Gordon and Alyx walk into Kleiners lab*

Kleiner: Blast! Where did she get to?!

Alyx:Uh Oh. Is everything alright Dr.Kleiner?

Kleiner:Lamarr, my pet headcrab whose full name is Hedy Lamarr and will soon stop the teleporter in the room behind that wall from working by jumping out of a vent and severing some wires, who I also had debeaked and is also hated by Barney, who was a security guard at Black Mesa and is about to walk through the door in a few seconds......

*Kleiner then goes on to explain the entire plot and background info for HL2 and every other game set in the HL Universe or any other HL universe in which the combine dwell*

Gordon:...

I think I prefer the storyline VALVe wrote without your help.

the only thing i really didnt understand until my 2nd (or maybe 3rd) playthrough is why exactly you started the civillian uprising just after nova prospect. as far as i knew at the time i went to nova prospect, didnt really do much there apart from kill a few soldiers with my antlion pals, then escaped using the teleporter they had installed there. then the next thing i knew kliener was telling me how i had somehow unknowingly rallied humanity together in one big push?

to be honest im still not 100% sure.

What do you expect them to say. ok i'm going to hazard a guess that your Half life 2 would go some thing like this:

*Gordon and Alyx walk into Kleiners lab*

Kleiner: Blast! Where did she get to?!

Alyx:Uh Oh. Is everything alright Dr.Kleiner?

Kleiner:Lamarr, my pet headcrab whose full name is Hedy Lamarr and will soon stop the teleporter in the room behind that wall from working by jumping out of a vent and severing some wires, who I also had debeaked and is also hated by Barney, who was a security guard at Black Mesa and is about to walk through the door in a few seconds......

*Kleiner then goes on to explain the entire plot and background info for HL2 and every other game set in the HL Universe or any other HL universe in which the combine dwell*

Gordon:...

I think I prefer the storyline VALVe wrote without your help.

You're very funny.

the only thing i really didnt understand until my 2nd (or maybe 3rd) playthrough is why exactly you started the civillian uprising just after nova prospect. as far as i knew at the time i went to nova prospect, didnt really do much there apart from kill a few soldiers with my antlion pals, then escaped using the teleporter they had installed there. then the next thing i knew kliener was telling me how i had somehow unknowingly rallied humanity together in one big push?

to be honest im still not 100% sure.
Totally agree. I was wondering that too.

It didn't get why until I read somewhere that Nova Prospekt is the place where they transform humans into Combine soldiers. Knowing that, it's pretty logical that when Gordon destroys the main (and possibly only) Combine soldier factory in the City 17 area, the uprising is triggered.

I had no idea what was going on, I hadn't even played HL1 when I played HL2, but it was still AWESOME.

^ This. But I had watched my dad play HL2 before I played it so I had a better idea of what was going on.

Totally agree. I was wondering that too.

It didn't get why until I read somewhere that Nova Prospekt is the place where they transform humans into Combine soldiers. Knowing that, it's pretty logical that when Gordon destroys the main (and possibly only) Combine soldier factory in the City 17 area, the uprising is triggered.

Actually that's not really it at all.

Gordon Freeman's return spread quickly through City 17's citizens and refugees; it wouldn't have been long before pretty much everyone knew. The man who was at ground zero and the man who went off-world to save humanity. “Gordon Freeman has returned.” “The One Free Man.”

Nova Prospekt was a major outlying outpost for City 17. Yes, it was a processing plant for humans and yes you practically buggered the Combine operation by triggering a nasty antlion infestation. But that isn't why the rebellion kicked off. You destroyed their teleport and that in itself blew up the majority of Nova Prospekt. What was left of the prison was inhabited by antlions. That's a pretty darn major accomplishment. City 17's nearest processing plant completely eradicated in two days of Gordon Freeman's return. Lets help him out! It took a week for you to reappear, so it's pretty unlikely the Nova Prospekt explosion triggered an entire uprising. It probably sparked riots, misbehavior and general unrest throughout the City 17 area. That in itself escalates quickly.

All of this you can easily understand after a couple playthroughs.

Actually that's not really it at all.

Gordon Freeman's return spread quickly through City 17's citizens and refugees; it wouldn't have been long before pretty much everyone knew. The man who was at ground zero and the man who went off-world to save humanity. ?Gordon Freeman has returned.? ?The One Free Man.?

Nova Prospekt was a major outlying outpost for City 17. Yes, it was a processing plant for humans and yes you practically buggered the Combine operation by triggering a nasty antlion infestation. But that isn't why the rebellion kicked off. You destroyed their teleport and that in itself blew up the majority of Nova Prospekt. What was left of the prison was inhabited by antlions. That's a pretty darn major accomplishment. City 17's nearest processing plant completely eradicated in two days of Gordon Freeman's return. Lets help him out! It took a week for you to reappear, so it's pretty unlikely the Nova Prospekt explosion triggered an entire uprising. It probably sparked riots, misbehavior and general unrest throughout the City 17 area. That in itself escalates quickly.

All of this you can easily understand after a couple playthroughs.
Thank you for agreeing with me and repeating my words. But I don't get what you mean with your first sentence.

Thank you for agreeing with me and repeating my words. But I don't get what you mean with your first sentence.

He means Gordon's trip to Xen to save the world was well known, so people just fangasm'd over him anyway.

I will agree that the lack of connection to HL1 was one of the weakest elements in HL2. We saw familiar faces and we assumed that the Portal Storms had something to do with the Resonance Cascade, and that was pretty much it.

However, the story in HL2 is good enough on its own that this is only a minor annoyance. While it is entertaining to try and understand every detail of the game world it should not get in the way of enjoying the game. The actual storyline to the game is:

Find Dr. Kliener->Escape Combine->Find Black Mesa East->Save Eli->Escape through Teleporter->Reach the Citadel->Kill Dr. Breen

The post-apocalyptic world is only a backdrop to the actual story. The Combine are interesting enough that you do want to understand more about them, but there role in the story is only that of villians and general roadblocks. The HL2 universe is an interesting place and the atmosphere gives the game a unique feel. They should have explained the intervening between HL1 and HL2, but that is one of the only faults in the game.

Edit: Now that I've actually read some posts in this thread Samon brought up an interesting point. Did the people of City 17 believe that Gordon had only just recently returned to Earth, or did they assume Gordon was just slumming around in the post-Combine World for the last 10-15 years.

Did the people of City 17 believe that Gordon had only just recently returned to Earth, or did they assume Gordon was just slumming around in the post-Combine World for the last 10-15 years.

Yeah, thats what everyone thinks (With the exclusion of Eli).

Possibly with the exclusion of Eli. Maybe he doesn't know that certain part of Gordon's relationship with the Gman.

Yeah, thats what everyone thinks (With the exclusion of Eli).

Possibly with the exclusion of Eli. Maybe he doesn't know that certain part of Gordon's relationship with the Gman.

For all we know, everyone knows about Gordon.

I actually like the idea of only knowing what Gordon himself knows. Since the very core of HL is to BE Gordon Freeman and only see what he sees. So we're having the same questions that Gordon has. And because of this, when we will be playing the next installments of HL series we will have a goal, a reason to play.

On another note, I'd like the gman to stay a mystery. If one day we know everything about him -and i mean everything- then the coolness 'bout his character will be destroyed. If we replay HL1 we still have to see the gman as someone mysterious and not knowing everything about it. We only have to find out who's side he's on and what his plans are etc, but some things like his real name and who he really is, what species he is and how he does his work etc should stay a secret, forever.

I agree for the most part, but I think that the Gman's identity should at least be exposed, even briefly. If he's forever a mystery, people might simply get pissed off with Valve. But what they're doing at the moment, feeding us bit by bit is as well as they can do it.

I never realy thought about it, but now that i do, i think Weightedcube has a really good point. I mean, i lurked here and on gamespot, i read emails to Gabe and discussed on the forum to get most of my information. I think i whould have prefered to get more info ingame. Especially regarding Nihilanth and portal storms.
And Gmodtrash, whats up your ass? No one wants that.

I would like to ask those who think that Half-Life 2 had an adequate amount of clues regarding connection to HL1, Nova Prospekt etc.:
How much time did you spend on this and other HL forums after playing HL1? How much time during playing through HL2, and right after?
How many Valve interviews/commentaries did you read before playing HL2? How many game magazine previews, and how many reviews? Etc.

none
none
1 review in PC Format

Regarding the HL2 story I did feel slightly aggrieved about the continued lack of disclosure regarding the Gman! However! Ep's 1 & 2 more than made up for this feeling in me, and poise this timeline on a very exciting precipice.

I have been slightly confused about the Nihilanth and its relation to the Combine, and both of their relation to the Black Mesa incident, but I'd not played HL1 for a good few years prior to the Orange box whose contents got me thinking about this issue. The launching of the rocket in EP2 made me want to re-examine those dimensional issues and i couldn't remember the whole story, but I was obviously made aware that closing it up would for instance cut off the combine?.

The plot developments throughout the HL2 timeline have really made me think back... and then forward... and then back again to Black Mesa and the events in HL1! No other FPS story comes close in my experience, even FPS's that allow you to make the choices about how to continue.

Back