HL2.net Arma 2 Ace 2 Information Videos

So um.

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/games/arma3

Edit: Good god will you look at those system requirements. Guess I know when my next upgrade will be.

Some screens to make this post a bit more useful (more in the link):

391hf.jpg

bGXit.jpg

qGTNY.jpg

kcoID.jpg

WHAT
yU0m3.jpg

Oh my jesus **** lord christ First the gaming gods show me Iron Front, and now this?! THEY'RE TRYING TO GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK.

These two games are already my top 2 wanted games. Possibly the second and third most anticipated games I've ever had in my life, just down from HL2.

What the ****ING ****!?

I never would have expected this recent ARG (if you haven't seen it, there was this whole thing about the arma 2 site being hacked, it was all viral) to be about Arma 3.... What the ****? I thought it was going to be for Take On Helicopters, or maybe some Arma 2 expansion at best, but not ****ing Arma 3. I'm totally blown away by this. This is awesome.

The screenshots don't seem to be that much of an improvement over Arma 2. It just looks like Arma 2 on high, maybe with some better soldier models. The environment doesn't look noticeably better than A2 either.

I am hesitant to believe that this game requires 4 cores. But I do know that BIS doesn't bullshit when it comes to using CPU cores. If their game requires 4 cores, it's going to be for real, and totally utilize all 4 in an efficient way. So I will probably have to upgrade my whole system for this (running dual core 3.4ghz)

I'm really eager to see some lists of improvements, both in graphical terms (ie why the significant boost in requirements) and gameplay.

The revamped animation system is a real treat. That's been a problem in Arma since Operation Flashpoint.

I am still in shock here, I don't know how to process this.

THAT GUY IS ****ING UNDER WATER VEGETA. HES UNDER WATER. WTF BOHEMIA, how do you create such awesome shit?

God ****ing damnit.

OK wow, **** the screenshots, read the description:

the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions...

Single-Player Campaign - evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.
This should be interesting.

Yeah, for the first time the SP component actually sounds quite good.

I don't know if any of you tried the PMC SP demo mission that is included in the latest patch for OA, but BIS really has stepped up their game since the ArmA 2 campaign.

Not interested. It's just going to be arma 2.5

By your logic, Arma 1 is actually Op Flash 1.5, and Arma 2 is Op Flash 1.75, so Arma 3 will be Op Flash 1.875

We already know that the game is going to have significant engine improvements, improvements that have been plaguing the engine since the first game. Why do you assume that all the implied improvements they talk about is just going to be bullshit? BIS is not one to overstate things like that.

By your logic, Arma 1 is actually Op Flash 1.5, and Arma 2 is Op Flash 1.75, so Arma 3 will be Op Flash 1.875

We already know that the game is going to have significant engine improvements, improvements that have been plaguing the engine since the first game. Why do you assume that all the implied improvements they talk about is just going to be bullshit? BIS is not one to overstate things like that.

Basically everything you said in that first sentence is true.

Also I'm not interested the new engine at all if they don't even incorporate built in melee system support at the very least for moderators. An absolute shitload of mods for arma games are hindered by lack of engine support for melee type interaction.

I'm even less interested in arma 3 than I am arma 2.

I'm oddly glad that it has such stupid high requirements, even if it's due to poor itemization, because the PC hardware market is suffering - and if it gets stimulated by games that actually use the platform to prove it's power over other platforms, that's kind of a cool thing.

...on the other hand, it's ridiculous that it requires i5+ and will significantly reduce it's more casual playerbase (if it even has a 'casual' playerbase) - also scares me and reminds me that a 775 socket q6600 with DDR2 and a Radeon 5xxx series is starting to seem... outdated. ****.

it's ridiculous that it requires i5+ and will significantly reduce it's more casual playerbase

Implying that casual vs. hardcore gamer indicates how much money a person has to spend on computers? There are lots of games I'd consider 'casual' that have very high system requirements. And vice versa.

I hope they take some time with releasing Arma 3, first I need to get my value out of the second!
The improvements don't look really exciting tbh. Although I like their humble approach in announcing it(without making bullshit features like every other developer), there seem to be too few changes for getting it at full price.(although i would love better controls & driving physics)

Where are you guys even reading about these supposed features? That little tiny blurb that says next tip nothing about the game? We don't know jack shit about it yet, and those listed features are just broad definitions of whats included to let people who've never heard of the game to know roughly what it is. That feature list isn't designed to tell us the changes between it and arma 2. Better driving mechanics would probably be enough for me to buy it though, as thats the one this really don't like about 2. Considering they're using PhysX to exert physical forces on the vehicles, it sounds like that's a priority of theirs too.

As for the system requirements, yeah requiring an i5 seems a bit much, despite ARMA not really being designed for casuals... at all. Seems silly to design a game having such a requirement, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that it was a mistype, or that its recommended specs.

i've just realized, i have boot camp installed on my mac. downloading the arma 2 demo now to see how it runs, and if everything seems pretty ship shape i'll look into purchasing the game and getting online with folk, if thats cool?

not been into a good military sim in a long time, itching to get some good tactics and teamwork going!

i've just realized, i have boot camp installed on my mac. downloading the arma 2 demo now to see how it runs, and if everything seems pretty ship shape i'll look into purchasing the game and getting online with folk, if thats cool?

The more the merrier. Just dont hold your breath with having a mac run it well. Hopefully you can get by with at least low settings, but your viewdistance may suffer to a point where you wont be able to see the same stuff we see.

Session tomorrow. Let's try for 14:00 EST this time.

If all goes well, Antipop, that would be sweet. The only mod we're using atm is ACE. PM me if you need assistance.

downloading the arma 2 demo now to see how it runs
I hope you mean the OA demo. A2 demo is a seriously outdated engine by this point. Even the OA demo's engine is outdated.

not been into a good military sim in a long time, itching to get some good tactics and teamwork going!
You've come to the right place!

i need directX before i do anything first, it seems. i've not been hands on with pc gaming in a long time, so i'll need to get that sorted out before anything. then, i'll get whatever the current engine is. OA you say? operation arrowhead, right? i'll try for a demo of that, then.

the problem i encountered with the ARMA 2 demo was a 3DX_audio6_1.dll error (or something like that) and i read up that i needed the latest directx redist files, but i've no idea where to put them because i haven't even got directx for a start. i only spent about 5 minutes troubleshooting though and i'll have another crack at getting what i need later though. if anyone else any helpful links, though... ?

Viper's post says we're only using ACE, but I'm pretty sure yesterday he mentioned we're doing domination and zombies. It doesn't matter really, since I want to try zombies, and I'm running the server, so we'll do zombies.

Everyone get this mod that Vegeta posted on the last page. Also, update your ACE ASAP. Like, right now. The game begins in 3 hours 10 minutes.
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14211

EDIT: Yeah, I think viper's post was directed at Knut, so yeah the plan for today was always zombies and dom.

That's not a mod and you don't need to get it (as a client). Like I already said, it's a mission file that has the necessary scripts/files self-contained.

Oh, but it has updated since I last posted, so anyone who downloaded it at the time I posted it (this includes you Krynn) please download it again and delete the old one.

i need directX before i do anything first, it seems. i've not been hands on with pc gaming in a long time, so i'll need to get that sorted out before anything. then, i'll get whatever the current engine is. OA you say? operation arrowhead, right? i'll try for a demo of that, then.

the problem i encountered with the ARMA 2 demo was a 3DX_audio6_1.dll error (or something like that) and i read up that i needed the latest directx redist files, but i've no idea where to put them because i haven't even got directx for a start. i only spent about 5 minutes troubleshooting though and i'll have another crack at getting what i need later though. if anyone else any helpful links, though... ?

Run this.

That's not a mod and you don't need to get it (as a client). Like I already said, it's a mission file that has the necessary scripts/files self-contained.

Oh, but it has updated since I last posted, so anyone who downloaded it at the time I posted it (this includes you Krynn) please download it again and delete the old one.

Ah yeah I see. I just opened it up for the first time now and came back to say that they didn't need to get it. Whatevers.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13535

This sounds like the Arma 1 zombie mission we enjoyed. Except even better. Open and sandboxy, explore to find weapons (and vehicles?) for yourself.
And it's built for ACE mod, and just requires some undead mod on top of that.

Maybe we can try this today if we have time, or next time.

Sounds like it would be pretty laggy though, for the host.

It also uses v0.9 of the undead mod, which you can get here http://server.arma2.co/Files/Mirror/@The_Undead_Beta.rar

K, we're starting soon. I'll reiterate: at first we're just doing Cher Dom and the zombie mission, so you won't need any special mods. If the zombie mission turns out to be a bust we can try the undead mod. For now though, all y'all need to do is make sure Ace is updated.

Fun missions. This one time Viper turned against us and was running right at Krynn! He was going to kill us and take all our ammo for himself, but luckily I had a shotgun and shot him and saved the team.

Another time someone else turned against us (I bet he was working with Viper!) but before he got us, I shot him too.

Fun missions. This one time Viper turned against us and was running right at Krynn! He was going to kill us and take all our ammo for himself, but luckily I had a shotgun and shot him and saved the team.

Another time someone else turned against us (I bet he was working with Viper!) but before he got us, I shot him too.

And you were even polite enough to apologize each time! What a hero!

We started a dom mission at noon in-game time and stopped just before 7.

God damn, that second (and last) town was a bitch. We tried everything available to us, from infantry assault, sniping, driving ATVs suicidally into town, crashing C130s into town suicidally, mortars, and eventually an advantage was gained once nightfall came.

The problem, for those who aren't aware, was that Krynn was hosting a dedicated server that didn't have the difficulty settings tweaked right, so the AI could spot you instantly and had quick and deadly accuracy.

Still, there were plenty of fun moments. One of the things I enjoyed near the end was using my Vector 21B range finder to scope out a target, then connect my DAGR to it to find the exact coordinates of the target, and relay them to viper for mortaring. It felt so cool to hide in the treeline at night, spotting targets with night vision, feeling totally safe as the mortar attacked from far away.

Glad you guys had fun. In the meantime I'm still stuck here.

Implying that casual vs. hardcore gamer indicates how much money a person has to spend on computers? There are lots of games I'd consider 'casual' that have very high system requirements. And vice versa.

hahaha

Yes - that's exactly what I'm implying. Of course there's outliers, but don't be diluted enough to disbelieve that people who invest more time / money in PC games spend more money on... their PCs!

hahaha

Yes - that's exactly what I'm implying. Of course there's outliers, but don't be diluted enough to disbelieve that people who invest more time / money in PC games spend more money on... their PCs!
Um, I'm not talking about 'outliers'. There is NO significant tie between casual/hardcore and how good their rig is. A lot of the Arma community stuck with Op Flash and Arma 1 because they didn't want to upgrade their systems. They're hardcore gamers because of how dedicated they are to certain games, and they don't need to buy top hardware to play it. So they don't.

A diluted vegeta would be good. He comes on too strong most of the time.

I tried to install ARMA2 retail onto my new PC yesterday, but the installer keeps crashing right before it finishes.

I am beginning to fear the CD might be f*cked, in which case I guess I'll just repurchase ARMA2 on Sprocket. I own Operation Arrowhead and all the expansions via Sprocket already, anyway.

We doing anything this weekend?

Also, I still want to do I44 stuff.

Vegeta said I44 sucked and that's why you guys haven't done it.

We didn't have that great of an experience with it.

But there's a new version, and it has weapon resting so we can run it without ACE.

We didn't do the good missions either. We only the the small missions where the three of us could do it. I played around in a few of the bigger ones and they seem pretty good. Plus tanks. Tanks, man.

Back