HL2.net membership's top 100 games - THE RESULTS! (slight 56k warning)

Ooh, let multiple people work on the compiling bit next time as well!

Definitely going to do that. It's not that it's hard work, it's just suprisingly time consuming for what is only compiling a basic spreadsheet...

I'm not keen to get as complicated as, say, the IGN poll, because apart from the effort, I don't think it's neccessary in a smaller community like this. To be honest I think the basic method I used was sufficient, it was just the 'deployment' and timing... The only problems I can see is that:
- people are disappointed that they didn't see the poll thread, and didn't get to vote. That'll be addressed and hopefully fixed next time.
- people are pissed off that games they don't like got a high placement or a higher placement than games they do like. To which I say, it's a poll. The point isn't to see what games are objectively 'the best', it's to find out which games we as a whole like the most.
Not everybody has played all the same games you have (personally, I've only played half of the top 20, and only completed a handful of those), even if they are generally regarded as being among the very best. You can't expect someone to say they like a game if they haven't played it. So ya boo :p if you're not happy with the list in that respect.

e.g.
I can't understand why Quake 4 is in the top 100.

Because at least one person voted for it. That means it is one of someone's favourite ten games. Why is that so hard to deal with?! Perhaps they've only played ten games. Maybe they really like killing the Strogg.

Congratulations to HL2.net for making a list slightly less wrong than the IGN list :p

Post where the games you voted for ended up?

Final Placing / How you voted

1 / 1 - Half-Life 2
2 / 6 - Half-Life
3 / 5 - Deus Ex
12 / 2 - System Shock 2
23 / 3 - Homeworld
29 / 8 - Unreal Tournament [1999 - PC]
47 / 7 - Final Fantasy VI
77 / 4 - Final Fantasy Tactics
1 - Half-Life 2
2 - Half-Life
3 - Deus Ex
31 - Halo
64 - Dungeon Keeper
72 - Unreal Tournament 2004
81 - Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
87 - Command & Conquer Generals
99 - Red Faction
99 - Sonic the Hedgehog (actualy voted Sonic 3 & Knuckles :p)

Great list! Thanks for the effort! Glad to see so many Lucasarts games in there. They'll likely always be my favs.

Post where the games you voted for ended up?

Good idea! I didn't rank mine before, but I will do now (without bearing in mind the poll results!)...

1. (2) Half-Life
2. (51) Duke Nukem 3D
3. Frontier: Elite 2 (didn't chart. I highly recommend anyone who likes space sims, or open-ended gameplay, check this out. Of course it's a bit of a technical challenge these days, being a DOS game...)
4. (12) System Shock 2
5. (43) Mafia
6. (13) Half-Life 2: Episode 1
7. (64) GTA San Andreas
8. (3) Deus Ex
9. (57) Freespace 2
10. (27) Alien versus Predator 2

1) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time | 4. Possibly the most critically acclaimed game of all time. Still a great game to this day.

2) Super Mario 64 | 10. Chuffed Mario made the top 10. Another fantastic game.

3) Half Life 2 | 1. Hey, it's HL2.net after all.

4) Goldeneye OO7 | 5. F'ckin amazing game. In my opinion, set a standard for many FPS titles.

5) Last Ninja 2: Back with a Vengeance | Didn't place. Retro Atari/Amiga game, not surprised.

6) Midnight Resistance | Didn't place. Retro Atari/Amiga game, not surprised.

7) Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II | =31. Just missed the top 30. Classic brilliance.

8) Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast | =87. One of my first "new" PC games, fantastic.

9) Spider-Man 2 | Didn't place, and I'm not surprised. It's a personal favourite.

10) Resident Evil 4 | Didn't place... I didn't see any other RE titles either :O

10) Resident Evil 4 | Didn't place... I didn't see any other RE titles either :O

If it was a top 20 list i'd have had two from the series in there. It does seem crazy not having RE4 in there somewhre.

Aye, it's peculiar. Even for a recently released game, it was still popular as hell. Oh well, I'm happy with the results, plus we all got a view into other peoples favourites. :)

Oi, it's pretty good list! I expected to see Fallout 2 abite higher but 47 is pretty neat placement. Bless you.

Pfffff, no lemmings? How could you forget lemmings?
Nothing like a game that works the ol noggin.

Eh, the list suits me ok. Just wish EVERYBODY would have voted, instaead of what, 5 pages of people?

QFT

I happened to not venture into the general games chat for awhile, and I missed the poll. :(

Deus Ex is just in a whole class of its own. Even with all its faults (and they are numerous, and fundamental), it stands head and shoulders above anything else the gaming world has produced.

I enjoyed SS2 a whole lot more than Deus Ex.

The only thing that knocks Deus ex down is the piss poor combat.

The only thing that knocks Deus ex down is the piss poor combat.

Finally we agree on something :)

I didn't think giving the occasional choice of routes (usually out of just 2) equalled the open ended gameplay that many praised Deus Ex for either. The rest, imo, was done better in SS.

It's still a damn fine game.

Sorry I don't visit this place much and was unaware about a poll? How long did it go for I would have voted for sure. In any case the list is pretty good although fairly predictable :p

Revote?

I just realized the wit of your sig "Unlike most people I don't use generalisations."

HAH! funneh

Poll ran for a little over a week. Not very long I know but I was impatient to get results!

Same time next year. Unless anyone does another one sooner, which would be overkill.

Over a week huh? Man I visit this site more than that I must have completely missed the thread :(

Poll ran for a little over a week. Not very long I know but I was impatient to get results!

Same time next year. Unless anyone does another one sooner, which would be overkill.
I will do one on January the first and it will be far superior and stuff
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kudos to pomegranate for spending time and actually making a positive contribution to the HalfLife2.net community.

heres my list of complaints:

1. under no circumstances whatsoever do i understand how the **** episode one is considered a better game than final fantasy 7.

2. windwaker needs to be MUCH higher on the list....i dont see how garbage like the curse of monkey island is considered a better game.

3. i understand classics are some of the best games ever made, but theres classic....like a link to the past and street fighter 2, and then theres ancient....secret of monkey island is dead, it sucked and its dead, let it be. going by that mentality, pong should be #1 on the list.

thats about it, id otherwise have to agree with the list. granted in my eyes ff7 would be at the top spot, followed by ff8, followed by ff12.

<--ff fanboy

That's the problem with opinion polls fella, no one agrees with them.

blahblahblah

Because people voted for them, or didn't vote for them. Simple. It's not a case of a list having been proposed and people arguing about how different games should be placed on it. If the list doesn't turn out like you would like it, all that means is that your favourite games aren't the same as the average of the people who voted.
It's not a matter of objectively 'better' or 'worse' games. It's what people like. E.g. 1: HL2EP1: A majority of people here will have played, completed, obsessed over and discussed Episode 1, due to the nature of the forum. Very likely a lower proportion of people have even played FFVII.

E.g.2: Wind Waker vs Monkey Island - not everybody has played Wind Waker. There is bound to be a bias towards PC games, as HL2 (the reason for this forum!) is primarily a PC game... I for one haven't played many 'modern era' console games (i.e. since PlayStation), and I think something similar is probably true for a lot of people who voted. To reiterate: This is a forum based on a PC game, people are likely to have a bias to PC games. Deal with it.
BTW the 'ancient' Secret of Monkey Island is only a year older than the merely 'classic' Street Fighter 2...

heres my list of complaints:

1. under no circumstances whatsoever do i understand how the **** episode one is considered a better game than final fantasy 7.

2. windwaker needs to be MUCH higher on the list....i dont see how garbage like the curse of monkey island is considered a better game.

3. i understand classics are some of the best games ever made, but theres classic....like a link to the past and street fighter 2, and then theres ancient....secret of monkey island is dead, it sucked and its dead, let it be. going by that mentality, pong should be #1 on the list.

thats about it, id otherwise have to agree with the list. granted in my eyes ff7 would be at the top spot, followed by ff8, followed by ff12.

<--ff fanboy
FINAL FANTASY 7 SUCKED
or at the very least it is not NEARLY that good.

FF7 was no masterpiece, you were just 11 when you played it. FF8 combat sucked. FF12 has been out for like what, a day? How can you put that up there? HL2Ep1 was leaps and bounds more enjoyable than FF7 for me, and I've played both. If nothing else, this demonstrates the fact that there are obviously people out there who have played both and have a differing opinion.

Try this circumstance: Though it is only between 3 to 5 hours of gameplay, the 'gameplay' in a final fantasy game basically involves selecting menu items and fighting fights that require less skill than they do a simple 100 hour time investment. That's truely pulling the wool over your eyes. The little hour counter in your save games tells you that you've got value for money, but is that really true? FF7 may last 20 times longer, but the gameplay is 50 times inferior to Episode One.

Not that I personally didn't put two final fantasy titles above Episode One myself. The difference is that Tactics actually requires skill and 6 was more open ended and less drawn out. FF7 is just one of those "validation in numbers" games that many people played. Totally overrated.

i dont see how garbage like the curse of monkey island is considered a better game.
Because only smart people were allowed to vote.

secret of monkey island is dead, it sucked and its dead, let it be.
Ever hear of the people working on a little something called the ScummVM??? Nice way to insult their extremely helpful and incredibly clever efforts. You fail. :x

NEWS FLASH: The vote is comprised of people's opinions.

Damnit, i forgot to participate!!! I wrote in that thread that i was gona reply later cuz i was to tierd and i FORGOT!

haha i never expected the responses to my post! relax guys, its just a poll, and i was just ranting, no need to defend it lol. and if u say ff7 sucks because all u do is select through menus and mash the x button, u obviously never played through from beginning to end, and if u did then u didnt grasp the story, and if u did then u should be in the fiery pits of hell for disagreeing with me!!!!!! fklshjfsjlfhsdjkfhsdjkfsdhkfjh!1!!@121@!@1!!

Just because a game is successful doesn't mean it's great. *cough* Sims *cough*

EDIT: KOTOR being that high? No f*cking way! Just because it was one of the few RPGS to actually make it to pc doesn't mean it's great. I hated that game.

Okay, let me get this right. The Sims and Knights of the Old Republic, despite their overwhelming critical and financial success, aren't great?

The Sims is actually one of the few good, genuinely innovative titles to come out in the last decade. I fail to see what isn't to commend about that. Games don't have to have guns, swords, or jumping puzzles to be good.

Meh. I've never played KOTOR, but if you ask me, The Sims is highly over-rated.

This all just shows how FAIL people are who don't vote but feel compelled to whine anyway. Your loss for not seeing the thread.

haha i never expected the responses to my post! relax guys, its just a poll, and i was just ranting, no need to defend it lol. and if u say ff7 sucks because all u do is select through menus and mash the x button, u obviously never played through from beginning to end, and if u did then u didnt grasp the story, and if u did then u should be in the fiery pits of hell for disagreeing with me!!!!!! fklshjfsjlfhsdjkfhsdjkfsdhkfjh!1!!@121@!@1!!

i didn't say that

Back