HL2 still on for 30th September

I am not saying it is any more or less relevant than any of the posts on this forum. All I am saying is that Valve responded to the first rumour quickly and have not to this one if it is in fact a different rumour.

This may have all stemmed from the same "miscommunication", it may not have done. Until Valve/Vivendi make an announcement or we reach September 30th none of us will no for sure if it will be in stores.

I hope it is because I do not have broadband, so a steam download could take a while.

The only real date that we all need to wait for is the date that HL2 goes gold. That is the only date that I need to know, and that is the date that will dictate when the game comes out, not what any store employee says or game site releases on itself.

Personally I think that it is very close to going gold in fact, because the benchmarks were released today, and they would not benchmark it unless the code and everything was done and optimized to it's full capacity. Really it could still in fact not be done but they are able to benchmark it, but I believe it is very close to goldness.

I'm gonna say what I said before, because it has more relevance now than ever.

We have two and a half weeks left till the 30th. Valve confirmed the date not too long ago. The benchmark numbers have been released. It would just be illogical to announce a delay now.

so... uhhh guys, when's the Half Life 2 gonna be released?

flambe`

It's quite possible that the game has gone gold and the announcement just hasn't been made, which would mean the game could be on store shelves on the 30th.

But seriously, if that's not the case then there's no way the game could be released to manufacturing, have the millions of CD's pressed, put in boxes, AND shipped to be in stores on Sept. 30th.

Another possibility though (and this might not even be possible. I don't know enough about Steam, or vivendi's manufacturing process to know if it can be done) is that the game will "Go gold" on Sept. 30th, and be available through Steam that same day, and on store shelves weeks later.

Like I said though, unless the game is gold and the announcment was never made, there's no way the game could be on Store shelves Sept 30th.

Originally posted by JimJimBinks
It's quite possible that the game has gone gold and the announcement just hasn't been made, which would mean the game could be on store shelves on the 30th.

But seriously, if that's not the case then there's no way the game could be released to manufacturing, have the millions of CD's pressed, put in boxes, AND shipped to be in stores on Sept. 30th.

Another possibility though (and this might not even be possible. I don't know enough about Steam, or vivendi's manufacturing process to know if it can be done) is that the game will "Go gold" on Sept. 30th, and be available through Steam that same day, and on store shelves weeks later.

Like I said though, unless the game is gold and the announcment was never made, there's no way the game could be on Store shelves Sept 30th.

Actually, if they went gold on the 15th of this month they would have enough time to get it to the shelves. IE. UT2K3 went gold 10 days before it was suppose to be released, and what happened? It was on shelves on the day it was suppose to be released. It probably is right now basically "gold" but they may still be play testing to find any other little bugs there might be, but IMHO(in my honest opinion) the game is basically done, and should make the September 30th release date!

i could'nt agree more with you disturbed, i also strongly believe we have all the proof that the game is 99.99% done.

Some proof would be that (these are not in any certain order)
1. Vavle has always kept 30th as the release date, despite numoures rumours.

2. The build shown at E3 2003 was basically playable, all through the game (since all content was almost already done)

3. Steam has gone "gold" therefor paving the way for distribution of HL2 over steam.

4. Increasingly number of info flowing from valve, like interview---previews, and so on.

5. Valve BenchMark announcement, benchmark released to the largest hardware test/review/news sites.

6. New benchmark video, and still atleast 2 more videos coming.

7. were 18 days from the release date, any delay announcement would've come certainly atleast a month or two in advance---here the vivendi statement does'nt really count since it was labeled a 'miscommunication' by both valve and vivendi.

8. Valve's gabe newell has stated that they are playtesting, and that statement is about 14 days old, so any bugs or showstoppers, are probably eliminated by now.

9....yes there are many more reasons, and that why i'm confident, we'll get a GOLD announcement in the 2 coming weeks, or maybe even this weekend.

Originally posted by scribblehead
i could'nt agree more with you disturbed, i also strongly believe we have all the proof that the game is 99.99% done.

This was written on this board earlier this week by scribblehead trying to flame me...

30%...Hahaha omg you believe in something in percentages??11 HAHAHA thats rich dude...oh well then i only believe about 45% that there's a god and an afterlife. Jeeeez dude.

Needless to say more or do I, scribblehead... you're weird!

Originally posted by DENNIS79
This was written on this board earlier this week by scribblehead trying to flame me...

Needless to say more or do I, scribblehead... you're weird!

LOOOOOL...maybe i did it on purpose, ever wonder about that, asshat?....jeeeez

8. Valve's gabe newell has stated that they are playtesting, and that statement is about 14 days old, so any bugs or showstoppers, are probably eliminated by now.

Let's hope they've been playtesting for more than 14 days or we're probably gonna have a buggy as hell game here. I hope you guys are right though. Hope it comes out on the 30th.

Wow, Gamestop's game keeps moving back. It was November a few days ago, now Febuary.
I wonder if they know something we don't.

Oh and scribblehead, unfortunately you weren't posting just facts...

2. The build shown at E3 2003 was basically playable, all through the game (since all content was almost already done)
There's no proof that this was the case. The E3 thing was more of a tech demo.

4. Increasingly number of info flowing from valve, like interview---previews, and so on.
In these later previews and interviews they haven't mentioned the release date at all. This actually makes me nervous.

6. New benchmark video, and still atleast 2 more videos coming.
This has nothing to do with Half-Life 2 going gold.

7. were 18 days from the release date, any delay announcement would've come certainly atleast a month or two in advance---here the vivendi statement does'nt really count since it was labeled a 'miscommunication' by both valve and vivendi.
We're 18 days from the release date, which really means there should've been an announcement by now that the game has gone gold. They don't have to announce a delay 'till Sept. 30th. They really don't have to announce a delay at all.

As I stated before, as a Game tester for another company, I know it takes more than 14 days to playtest a game. The game has probably been in test for months. Bugs, and showstoppers can still be found up 'till the day the game ships.

I'm not confident in the Sept. 30th release date but I can still hope for it.

There's no proof that this was the case. The E3 thing was more of a tech demo.

I'll try and find a source for you then...and if i can't, then well i clearly made a mistake.

In these later previews and interviews they haven't mentioned the release date at all. This actually makes me nervous.

Err what about the ects interview with greg coomber and doug lombardi??

This has nothing to do with Half-Life 2 going gold.

i did'nt say, i just posted this as a fact, that they're on track.

We're 18 days from the release date, which really means there should've been an announcement by now that the game has gone gold

Err no, HL went gold the 7th november and came out the 11th, so there's lots of time for the team to announce that the game gone gold...there's is'nt a minimum time limit in which the game HAS to go gold.

As I stated before, as a Game tester for another company, I know it takes more than 14 days to playtest a game. The game has probably been in test for months. Bugs, and showstoppers can still be found up 'till the day the game ships.

As i said i just based this one of gabe's emails....it could meant they've been playtesting for 14 days or it could mean they've been playtesting since E3....

I'm not confident in the Sept. 30th release date but I can still hope for it.

Well you're certainly entitled to your own oppinion.

Well you're certainly entitled to your own oppinion.
I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to push my opinion down anyones throat.
Seriously, I want the game to be released on the 30th just as much as everyone else. I just don't have as much faith as everyone else that the date will be met.

LOOOOOL...maybe i did it on purpose, ever wonder about that, asshat?....jeeeez

You're full of it...
Fact is you're not contributing at all and only try to push your own opinions through and not caring about others...

Erm, right, you'd think that Valve will just wait to finish the entire content THEN playtest it? Could they not play test the levels while making the game? Oh wait, that's why they did.

I refer you to the Gamespy preview:
So how close is Half-Life 2 to release? As mentioned earlier, Valve isn't giving out some mealy-mouthed "when it's done" crap -- they've drawn a line in the sand and announced a ship date of September 30, 2003. Will they actually make that date? It's hard to say, as we've yet to see any of the actual levels in motion, only the dozen or so technical demonstrations we've seen thus far. According to Newell, they're still building content -- they're not yet at the stage where they can play through the game from start to finish -- but they are playtesting other areas for balancing purposes.

They've been play testing since May.

Erm, right, you'd think that Valve will just wait to finish the entire content THEN playtest it? Could they not play test the levels while making the game? Oh wait, that's why they did.

That's exactly what I said they were doing. I said they've been playtesting the game for months. NOT JUST FOR 14 DAYS!

That's exactly what I said they were doing. I said they've been playtesting the game for months. NOT JUST FOR 14 DAYS!

Sorry, I skim read the post.

Shouldn't have done that. My fault.

Sorry, I skim read the post.

Shouldn't have done that. My fault.

S'okay. Sorry if I sounded pissy in my response. I was just confused.

Bla bla bla! This game isn't coming out on the 30th so stop getting your hopes up.

Eaven thou Avaults release list .. says that the latest release date is Oct 19? or maybie they got it wrong....

Originally posted by ThePuppetMaster
Do you know what a fanboy is you dumb noob.

So did you have to get permission from your parents to register on this forum?

Originally posted by DiSTuRbEd
So did you have to get permission from your parents to register on this forum?

Don't answer a question with a question you disturbed child.

Could we please get this thread back on topic or at least lock it?

I have faith. In gabe we trust.

Also, I think they might not even announce a gold date. Gabe seems to have been messin with us since E3 with all these vagues comments about stuff etc. I think torturing us is how he gets his kicks :p

So yeah, If I never see a gold date and it comes out on the 30th, I wouldn't be surprised a bit. Also, I think gabe is smart enough to know that if he doesn't announce the delay as soon as they know its gonna happen, he'll be lynched by angry fans, so If they knew about adelay at this point, they would have announced it :)

He seems to be pretty open about bad things that are happening etc, he's just secretive about anything that would relieve our tension and suspense and give us a feeling of comfort.

Bottom line, not one of us knows what is going on. When it comes out it will come out. Nothing said makes a bit of difference. That said please be the 30th.

Back