HOLY CRAP..... I think I may know what the GMan is...

Number 42

Reaction score
Okay, I have thought long and hard about who the Gman is based on what we have been given in the storyline, and I have come to a conlusion that I think is not only a great explanation but also would make an awesome episode 3...

SPOILERS

The Gman is an advisor. Bear with me here; this would explain how he has the psychic abilities he has and how he is able to manipulate people. More importantly it would make for excellent gameplay. My hypothesis is that the GMan ultimately wants you to eliminate all of the other advisors so that he can sieze power with no opposition in his way. It makes since; he could have sent his cohort advisors to kill Eli so that it would piss off Alyx and You so that you could go on an advisor killing rampage in Episode 3, possibly using the Borealis to kill them all. It would then lead to an epic final encounter with the GMan advisor once you realize the truth and mabye some vortigaunts join in to help you.

Storyline wise this would make sense in many areas other than Eli's death. It would explain why he wanted you to Kill Nihilanth, since killing Xen's leader would make it easy as cake for the combine to become the new controllers of Xen's inhabitants, and it would open up a whole new area of space previously unavailable to the combine. There lies the flaw as well, since the Gman clearly was around prior to the resonance cascade, so there couldn't have been any combine. I'm sure that Valve could find a storyline workaround if they adopt this theory, though.

The ability of advisors to project themselves into human form would also lead to some questions about who is really human and who's not. It would be one hell of a twist if Alyx or Kleiner was advisor manipulated! This would be very interesting gameplay wise as the advisors might, instead of outright kill you, try to manipulate you for their own interests. It becomes then truly apparent how the Gman advisor theory would work; he just got the jump start for controlling you. Of course, all of this assumes that the advisors are power hungry and at odds with one another, but with an evil imperialistic alien race such behavior seems as if it would be commonplace.

There's my idea, feel free to let me know what you think.

Of all the g-man theories, I have to say this is one of the better ones.

The advisors are not that powerful.

But perhaps there is something a little "special" about the GMan advisor...

Nice job on getting your facts straight:thumbs:, but I don't like this theory at all.

lol if Gman's an Advisor, the Advisors are cooler than we thought.

Perhaps at Aperture they used teleportation tech to capture and use an advisor as a weapon, creating a superadvisor. Then the advisor broke free of control, crashed the borealis, and projected himself as the gman and used his super advisor powers to bend time and cause the events of half life, etc. Hey, it makes as much sense as many other stuff in this series

You know, I'm never going to let you forget what is in that quote in my sig. Admit it, this site has made you better.

Everyone should come here. But I'm glad they don't.

Actually, I feel like this site is slightly improving my grammar. I think that if I had the chance, I would edit that post, except for that one paragraph.

If everyone came here, there'd be a whole lot more stupid G-man threads like this one.

Personally, this idea sounds pretty decent. Well thought-out, and a creative way of implementing it into the plot.

It's a little too far fetched for me. Personal feelings aside, like you mentioned, the flaw is that Gman's been around since the pre-resonance cascade period (if not earlier, but that's just dilly-dallying into more Gman theories *ENTER RACE-X ARMY*).

I like this theory and I think it is the best. It would explain everything.

ENOUGH.

I have been merciful. Have I not been merciful, Halflife2.net? Did I not stay my hand when I could have easily destroyed these pathetic, wretched G-man theorists with a word? Did I not warn them? Did I not grant them leeway? Time and time again I have called for the use of the search button. I have asked people to lurk and read through the forums. I have asked them to seriously consider their theories before posting them. The mods were even so good as to sticky one of my threads detailing these guidelines.

But they never listen. They never use the search button. They never read. They post their theories thinking they are the first to ever post, "G-man is an advisor who opposes the other advisors! G-man is this! G-man is that!"

I have heard so much G-man that in a recent thread I completely forgot all about him when trying to address the poster's question. My mind literally blocked out the G-man from being an option. This is what these threads have done to me--I have created a mental block on my favorite character because I no longer wish to hear people speak of him. I no longer wish to see these inane, oft-repeated and oft-half-cocked theories trying to debunk the mystery of Half-Life's most enigmatic character. I no longer wish to see him maligned by these theories.

I have been merciful.

I will be merciful no longer.

Starting with you, Number 42! You will be an example for all other newbies who post theories about the G-man! Because you did not search the forums, because you did not READ, I shall grant you time. Time to reflect. Time to research. Yes, I shall grant you all the time you need...

ON THE FAR SIDE OF THE BORDER WORLD!

TAKE HIM, MY GENE WORM! DRAG HIM THROUGH THE PORTALS TO MY RACE-X ARMY, AND LET HIM EXPLAIN HIS THEORY TO THEM! LET US SEE WHAT THEY THINK OF IT!

genewormrb5.jpg

ENOUGH.

I have been merciful. Have I not been merciful, Halflife2.net? Did I not stay my hand when I could have easily destroyed these pathetic, wretched G-man theorists with a word? Did I not warn them? Did I not grant them leeway? Time and time again I have called for the use of the search button. I have asked people to lurk and read through the forums. I have asked them to seriously consider their theories before posting them. The mods were even so good as to sticky one of my threads detailing these guidelines.

But they never listen. They never use the search button. They never read. They post their theories thinking they are the first to ever post, "G-man is an advisor who opposes the other advisors! G-man is this! G-man is that!"

I have heard so much G-man that in a recent thread I completely forgot all about him when trying to address the poster's question. My mind literally blocked out the G-man from being an option. This is what these threads have done to me--I have created a mental block on my favorite character because I no longer wish to hear people speak of him. I no longer wish to see these inane, oft-repeated and oft-half-cocked theories trying to debunk the mystery of Half-Life's most enigmatic character. I no longer wish to see him maligned by these theories.

I have been merciful.

I will be merciful no longer.

Starting with you, Number 42! You will be an example for all other newbies who post theories about the G-man! Because you did not search the forums, because you did not READ, I shall grant you time. Time to reflect. Time to research. Yes, I shall grant you all the time you need...

ON THE FAR SIDE OF THE BORDER WORLD!

TAKE HIM, MY GENE WORM! DRAG HIM THROUGH THE PORTALS TO MY RACE-X ARMY, AND LET HIM EXPLAIN HIS THEORY TO THEM! LET US SEE WHAT THEY THINK OF IT!

genewormrb5.jpg

This post convinced me how alone Darkside must be. He has way too much time on his hands.

That's not even in the top 10 of his best posts.

That's not even in the top 10 of his best posts.

Yes, just keep supporting my theory that Darkside resides in his parents' basement...

In other news, Darkside is awesome. Alone, but awesome nonetheless.

Number 42 got Darkside'd. Though the theory is interesting, it's too banal.

Make it so that the Advisor that brainsucked Eli ends up taking on Eli's personality, then you have Breen as an Advisor too (REMEMBER CUZ HOST BODY HE SAID) then for the showdown, Advisor-Breen turns a good guy, so that Advisor-Breen and Advisor-Eli team up to take on Gman-SuperAdvisor
(Gordon could get to ride on the back of Advisor-Eli, flying vehicle sequence)

I say we start banning people who post gman theories.

maybe gman is just god.. any one ever think of that.. so stupid it just might work! o_O

Not that I want to burst your bubble, but I recall Valve saying they don't know the storyline or anything for Episode Three (this was a few months ago) so everyone's theory is just pointless and silly.

How do you know everything about G-man will come clear in Ep 3? Maybe they already know what they plan to do with him, though, probably not.

What?!

People talk about TEH GMAN...on Half-Life forums?

I'm shocked...SHOCKED!!!

aahhh. another f**king g-man theory... I'm gonna join NOLGTA )))

Gman theorizing has pretty much gotten to the saturation point with the info we've got...it's really vague who he could be, that's why ppl get pissed off at these threads.

There won't be much new stuff about him to discuss until Ep 3 comes out.

Thank you for resurfacing this thread to tell us that.

Ok, I facepalm at myself as well as this thread, then. Happy?

Back