how to know you TOTALLY OWN AT PORTAL

The Brick; that's exactly how I tried to do Chamber 18. It was the first thing that came to my head.

But, I'm struggling to do that E/Jump thing.

How does one pull it off successfully?

The Brick; that's exactly how I tried to do Chamber 18. It was the first thing that came to my head.

But, I'm struggling to do that E/Jump thing.

How does one pull it off successfully?

You must also be crouching for it to work properly.

You've been beaten Brick :(

[youtube]8XEAXiDSXH0[/youtube]

My record on there is still 15 seconds, using Bricks method D:

Haha, shit, gotta do that one better then!

Chamber 18 using 13 portals.

[youtube]QDAP1PRmsQI[/youtube]
I don't know the actual solution, so I might get better ideas from somewhere.

And nice one we11er. :)

making the turret fall into the door was legendary

Wow, never thought of that, I got 14 on that... and was trying to think of ways to shed off one or two... well.. you beat me to it.

Amazing stuff The Brick, I just subscribed to you as this will help me in these challenges. :D

Well, someone got 5 steps on 13. Heh, amazing the way people keep doing better and better with more amazing techniques.

I did everything in the 14th and 13th on gold, didn't play others much.

I did Brick's Method, except I used computer towers, then stacked the cube on top of them and finished.

ALERTING THE INTERNETS:

I am the first person IN THE WORLD to complete the Test Chamber 17 challenge in ZERO portals.
That's right, I did the impossible. The least number VALVe ever put as a high score was 2 (Gold on this challenge is 2 portals).
In fact, VALVe so didn't prepare for it, that in the scorer at the end, the number 0 doesn't show up!

Proof of my amazing feat:
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/2297/testchmba130000ym4.jpg
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3131/testchmba130001zw4.jpg
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3699/testchmba130002cl4.jpg
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1193/testchmba130004ow1.jpg

I'ma e-mail Gabe to make sure no one does it before me :E.

Nice work stacking up the cameras from the secret room to get up the ledge.

Nope, you need to fall far enough to reach terminal velocity. I've been trying something else, but I'm limited by terminal velocity again.

[youtube]uMoTxzeSD-8[/youtube]

As you can see, I was trying to fall back into the previous portal to gain extra speed, but that doesn't work. Damn limits..

you should lose speed going up and falling back down, but I think it stays the same in portal

I don't think that one can be topped, unless you can strafe so that the slanted tile is in view?

Don't worry, got the map in 8 :D

I'll be working on the video of it today.

The least ever possible will be 6 I think. I'll be trying to get that first. Not spoiling my (and Dekstar's) ideas yet since they could be used against me before I reach 6 myself :D

edit: yep made it in 6 whopee :D

8?! 6?!? no way. I'll have to go beat that

I think i've cut 2 off, but I've no idea how you'd even attempt to get 6

Got 6 now :)

It's pretty lame, I admit, but I got it. Gonna work on the video now.

+use'ing all the way? lol

I've managed something possibly helpful at the start of the chamber. Not sure how it'll work out.

Looking forward to that one in six brick, you madman.

The music definitely helps make it! :E.
Nice work, setting all these world records.

After someone else sharing his idea (more climbing using a clock from the secret room, and my own insight on how to save another, I might make it in 4 some day. I'm trying now.

i figured out using the pc in the secret room you can actually do it with only 2 portals

i'm on my way there put the climbing is a pain in the ass, its easy but my fingers cant keep up when doing it for a long time. someone should really do a script or something :p

I know of a way to make it in two, also in 4, which is more feasible, and now I'm working on one in 5, with a new ingenious trick of my own.

Right, got the 5 portal run on video, gotta edit it together, render, compress and upload it. Maybe it'll be done later tonight, otherwise tomorrow. And btw I've been discussing a theory with someone else which might lead to making it in 2. :) But that's for later.

i figured out using the pc in the secret room you can actually do it with only 2 portals
2 is actually impossible. Like... literally.

If you think you can, go ahead :p.

Perhaps not quite dekky, I've been discussing how to pull this one off with someone on youtube, and I can't find any failures yet. It's gonna be inhumanly hard though.

Great work Brick but I think jumping on the turret is a glitch and therefore, is void. :p

hehe it's going to take a lot of work though (from what I've read).

[youtube]c0KP0836S8k[/youtube]

Same room done in just 5; a small improvement over my last run, but it took quite a bit of effort.

About glitching, scripts and speed runs:

General rule when doing speed runs is that you're supposed to be as fast as possible and tool-assisted speed runs don't usually count as "official" speed runs. What this means is that you may use glitches which are in game but you may not use scripts that perform a certain task one couldn't do manually, for example the Half-Life in ~31 minutes speed run uses such a script and has been debated by the speed run community to be void because the script basically is an automatic optimal acceleration script for bunnyhopping which cuts away a few minutes from the time by itself. The script includes parts which are humanly impossible to perform and that's why such are not allowed.

Oh and I also doubt that the fastest way to get through that level by doing that glitch but then again I think the Brick is after lowest possible amount of portals used, not speed. Amirite? :)

About glitching, scripts and speed runs:

General rule when doing speed runs is that you're supposed to be as fast as possible and tool-assisted speed runs don't usually count as "official" speed runs. What this means is that you may use glitches which are in game but you may not use scripts that perform a certain task one couldn't do manually, for example the Half-Life in ~31 minutes speed run uses such a script and has been debated by the speed run community to be void because the script basically is an automatic optimal acceleration script for bunnyhopping which cuts away a few minutes from the time by itself. The script includes parts which are humanly impossible to perform and that's why such are not allowed.

Oh and I also doubt that the fastest way to get through that level by doing that glitch but then again I think the Brick is after lowest possible amount of portals used, not speed. Amirite? :)

I agree, and I'm not really proud of these records, but they're still fun to do. I tried to avoid having to use a programmable key of my G15 keyboard (same idea as AHK scripts), but the huge climb on chamber18 was pretty impossible.

The true best run of chamber 18 without exploits was in 8 portals, and I was really impressed by how clever it was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CfxPXPZHY

I'll be doing more speedruns today, if my clan won't nag me to get on css.

i think theres genuinely something wrong with your brains brick.

Back