Halflife2.net Tournament Start Date and Team Draws

I have no choice but to drop out. I've had several teammates join the quit and I can't keep a steady team going. I see lots of other teams are having the same issues. It's become a hassle to get a teammate then keep them on the roster. Sorry guys maybe having this on the weekends or summer time would be better.

Can we please have a damned timeline?

It looks like there are quite a few people who thought this would just be some casual tournament, but it's turning into something that isn't really serious , but more serious than not, hence the many drop outs/changes. Kinda sucks.....this can be fun, but it looks like it's crumbling. Set a freaking 2 hour block out of a day and play a game. Quit being pussies.

It looks like there are quite a few people who thought this would just be some casual tournament, but it's turning into something that isn't really serious , but more serious than not, hence the many drop outs/changes. Kinda sucks.....this can be fun, but it looks like it's crumbling. Set a freaking 2 hour block out of a day and play a game. Quit being pussies.

Here's what I've been thinking. I've been assuming that this is a casual tournament. Obviously more serious that jumping in a pub game, but more of an opportunity for people who enjoy focusing a little more on the competitive and teamwork aspects of the game, and also as an opportunity to be more involved in the HL2.net community.

The issue hasn't been that people are taking the games themselves more seriously than they should. The problem isn't that people aren't willing to take 2 hours out of their days to play a game (at least not that I've seen so far). I think we all know there are certain aspects of our personal lives that cannot be changed (work, family etc), and we've all been able to work around that.

The problem has been, quite simply, horrible, horrible [mis-]communication. It is the singular reason I got so frustrated earlier this week, and I suspect it is the reason everyone else's emotions have been rising as well.

As an example, I generally don't like to be playing games after around 7pm. I work until ~5:30pm (if I'm lucky), and I generally play for an hour or so (longer if I can manage getting into a good match early enough and people don't rage). After that, I have dinner and spend the rest of my evening with my wife and daughter.

I'm not trying to claim that my time is more important than anyone else, or that I'm more mature than anyone else. That said, I do have an expectation, one that I think is pretty reasonable, that if I set aside time for something like this that cuts into my personal life, that the others involved (that I assume have done the same) would show up on time (or at all). When that doesn't happen, I become much less willing to make concessions.

This is where the communication issue comes in. It seems silly that it has come to this, but I don't think this tournament has any hope of continuing, especially with players on multiple continents, without establishing some sort of standardized protocol to guide deciding on a date and time for the matches, and communicating between team captains and their players. Without it, as we've witnessed, it becomes an exercise in futility and frustration.

tl;dr - suck it up and read it.

Yeah, I completely agree with Dream. It was a really good concept, and it started out strong, but in the end, it just crumbled. We should retry this in the summer, or another lengthy holiday.

I generally don't like to be playing games after around 7pm. I work until ~5:30pm (if I'm lucky).

Why did you sign up for this tournament then when you knew you'd be playing with and against people from different time-zones?

Why did you sign up for this tournament then when you knew you'd be playing with and against people from different time-zones?

Because I figured I could make a couple exceptions (which I did/can) and most of the people in different vastly different time zones are are in the UK, which would generally mean me playing earlier, which I'd prefer. Anyways, as I pointed out pretty clearly, the timing wasn't the issue.

EDIT: Brick I just saw your sig, can't count how many times I've done that :LOL:

Also, I don't understand how the summer would be any better - it's just like the rest of the year for people who aren't in school, and people that are in school are either going to be working summer jobs or going on vacation.

Because I figured I could make a couple exceptions (which I did/can) and most of the people in different vastly different time zones are are in the UK, which would generally mean me playing earlier, which I'd prefer. Anyways, as I pointed out pretty clearly, the timing wasn't the issue.

Reading back, my post sounded a little rude. Sorry! It was meant more as a general question than an accusation. :eek:

well, kins team won. * Since I ragequit in round 2.*

The first victory for Kinslayer's team as Cyberpitz's team crumble. Well played.

WE WE WE WO HO HO WO HO HO! :LOL: That had me in tears at the end as if Bill was doing a Joker laugh and Louis was trying to fly. :LOL:

How do you play those back? I type "playdemo kinslayer vs cyberpitz" in the console but nothing happens.
EDIT: Nevermind, i forgot to add quotes to the name.

Brackets updated, refresh your page. Also, include the score when you report the match please. I had to go through the demos (which I enjoyed anyway, oh you sore loser pitz).

Also, try to keep your demo names without spaces, makes it so much easier for the rest of us.

Also, I don't understand how the summer would be any better - it's just like the rest of the year for people who aren't in school, and people that are in school are either going to be working summer jobs or going on vacation.

And people in other countries! People in other countries!

There should be some effort to keep the teams around the same timezone in the future. We had that going... except for Reginald...

Brackets updated, refresh your page. Also, include the score when you report the match please. I had to go through the demos (which I enjoyed anyway, oh you sore loser pitz).

Also, try to keep your demo names without spaces, makes it so much easier for the rest of us.

Lol, yyeeaahhh, I am a sore loser when I'm drunk. But I suck unless I'm drunk. It's a terrible circle.

There should be some effort to keep the teams around the same timezone in the future. We had that going... except for Reginald...

That would only really work if we did regional brackets. Though, even if we didn't, I suppose it would still be better trying to coordinate just between teams instead of between all 8 players.

When does the next round start? I so wanna play a game D:

Consider this my resignation letter to the team, The Crime Busters.

I am no longer willing or able to participate with your company.

The reason being is your scheduling department lacks any initiative or direction which has caused me unnecessary stress and a loss of funds due to improper arrangements.

Thank you for the opportunity.

Your's truly,
Frank Sinatra Jr.

The reason being is your scheduling department lacks any initiative or direction which has caused me unnecessary stress and a loss of funds due to improper arrangements.

Your's truly,
Frank Sinatra Jr.

Since Sheepo's departure, we've organised a game. It was only he who messed it around.

Your's truly,
Frank Sinatra Jr.
Didn't you see an invite for your group on Steam? It's tonight at 7PM EST btw.

Gah, I haven't been on steam all weekend, just now saw this :|

*Shouldn't* be a problem, I'll just have to make sure I mow the lawn quickly after work.... gawd I sound like I'm 16.

Can't say I did. I've got work tonight till 10 so looks like I can't even play.

Never noticed any kind of invite or anything of that sort.

Gah, I haven't been on steam all weekend, just now saw this :|

*Shouldn't* be a problem, I'll just have to make sure I mow the lawn quickly after work.... gawd I sound like I'm 16.

But you said you were 16 in those pictures you sent me.. :\

I dunno, it seems like my team is all ready for tonight yet you and Shamrock are not. If this doesn't happen tonight then i think we might as well scrap it. I'm getting really fed up of changing my plans so i can play just to be told at the last minute it's not happening, yet again. Is it really so hard for you to say in advance that you can't make it for tonight when we set the date? Why wait till a few hours before it starts then say you may not be able to make it.

I dunno, it seems like my team is all ready for tonight yet you and Shamrock are not. If this doesn't happen tonight then i think we might as well scrap it. I'm getting really fed up of changing my plans so i can play just to be told at the last minute it's not happening, yet again. Is it really so hard for you to say in advance that you can't make it for tonight when we set the date? Why wait till a few hours before it starts then say you may not be able to make it.

I dunno, if your team was prepared for it, and the other team fell through, you should be held winners by default...

I'm getting really fed up of changing my plans so i can play just to be told at the last minute it's not happening, yet again. Is it really so hard for you to say in advance that you can't make it for tonight when we set the date? Why wait till a few hours before it starts then say you may not be able to make it.

same for me man, i made plans and put other things off to play last monday and tuesday

This is exactly what the problem with this tournament is, even after two of my fairly verbose posts clearly identifying the problem and offering a fairly simple solution.

My team's got a match tonight, yet the only reason I know of it was because I happened to check this thread this morning. Hool, I gave you my e-mail address, and we all have the option to send a HL.net PM. When was this decision made? As I said before, it shouldn't be a problem for me this week, but it looks like other players won't be available.

Instead of saying "well this is the time we had last week, so it should be okay this week", the prudent thing to do would be to contact everyone involved and say "hey, this is the time we picked, let me know if it's a problem". Most people's schedule change from week to week. More than 12 hours' notice would be a huge plus.

We did this song and dance all last week, and we know where that got us. Why are we doing the same thing this week?

Reginald and I created groups to keep you guys updated but it looks like you guys don't even look but get surprised when an announcement pops-up.

capturephg.jpg

You have had 4 days to see that and I have contacted a couple of people asking if they can make it. Reginald even confirmed that Shamrock could make it, yet now he can't. :LOL: It's just a 1 hour match on a Monday night. If I didn't contact you, you probably never came on Steam. If this match doesn't happen tonight purely based on dumbass people on this forum, then I quit. I'm not a quiter and I have tried to do everything not to quit, but this is pure fail.

I never said Freeman was in charge, although yeah, I should've left control of the group to somebody.

Reginald and I created groups to keep you guys updated but it looks like you guys don't even look but get surprised when an announcement pops-up.

You have had 4 days to see that and I have contacted a couple of people asking if they can make it. Reginald even confirmed that Shamrock could make it, yet now he can't. :LOL: It's just a 1 hour match on a Monday night. If I didn't contact you, you probably never came on Steam. If this match doesn't happen tonight purely based on dumbass people on this forum, then I quit. I'm not a quiter and I have tried to do everything not to quit, but this is pure fail.

Sorry, I work from home, so I generally don't keep Steam running 24 hours a day because shit pops up while I'm working. I was insanely busy all last week and this weekend, and so I don't think I'd even had it running until I checked it this morning. I also don't recall seeing any announcements.

If you cba to find another method of communication besides steam to keep your team informed (which requires both parties being online at the same time to communicate since there are no PMs), it would seem that we've got other issues. Fail indeed :|

Is this match happening tonight or not?

Back